grammar police

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sometimes... but mostly only if it's really, really bad.
... or if it is in job ads stating they want people who are good at grammar and they either can't spell or the structure of their sentences or paragraphs make no sense. I was reading one a few hours ago, that said something like:

You are:
Know about all the stages of the programming process
You are self- driven

(+ a few sentences that did make sense)

*groans*
 
Reminds me of one of my favourite scenes from Sherlock. :rolleyes:

7f6794511450aa2752f6110dcb6de1d8.jpg


As for me though, I really couldn't care less. :)
 
LOL! I am the same way! My pet peeve is the use of pronouns in the wrong way, as in, "Him and her went to the store," and also the use of "they" and "them" in place of the singular, as in, "When a person drives on the expressway, they need to only pass on the left."

These infractions are done not only on Facebook, but in published articles by professional writers and spoken by newsreaders on television as well!

Pulling my hair out! LOL!

.
Bad news! One of the major US newspapers (can't remember if it's the NY Times or the Washington Post) has its own style book and have finally given in to the plural pronoun is acceptable for going along with everyone, everybody, anyone, etc.

Up there with the word "literally" really does no longer mean literally. Language changes, so we have to get used to it.

Either that or continue to think "God is awful." (Awful used to mean full of awe, therefore, some Bible versions do have God is awful. lol)
 
If you go to the community tab at the top of the home page of cc where you see all the forums you will see chat groups go there and you will see the group
 
(spoken as an edumacated man who spent years learning the language of God, or As I like to call it Christianize)

Verily Verily I sayest unto you. Ye wouldest be smart if ye'd just realise. I speaketh in the tongue of God himself!
 
Someone posts a pic like..."This is my son and I"......It's all I can do not to have a complete meltdown. or when people don't understand the difference between who and whom......I can't take it!!!!
Whatchu talking about, Willis?
 
I remember my English teacher in college was very particular for instance if you had only one comma mistake on a paper your grade would be no higher than a b. Once he asked me what a word was that I spelled wrong and it was the word occurred however I spelt it with an a. However, worst of all after we turned our papers in he would read and make fun of the worst ones in front of the whole class. Thankfully he didn't mention names when he did so because one of the ones he read out loud was mine.
 
I remember my English teacher in college was very particular for instance if you had only one comma mistake on a paper your grade would be no higher than a b. Once he asked me what a word was that I spelled wrong and it was the word occurred however I spelt it with an a. However, worst of all after we turned our papers in he would read and make fun of the worst ones in front of the whole class. Thankfully he didn't mention names when he did so because one of the ones he read out loud was mine.
He would probably give me a c for this post above!
 
...my son used to say that when he was younger and I just wanted to choke him every time...
Would that constitute a "felony" and if prosecuted for it, do you think the judge / jury would find you innocent?

Yes, poor grammar does **** me off on occasions, but hey live and let live!

(I'll let you fill in the ****'s) :p
 
Please tell me I'm not the only one. I am infuriated by bad grammar. I frequently find myself wanting to correct people's grammar and sentence structure on Facebook. The most common infractions are the misuse of I and me and misuse of the word whom.

I have seen some on CC that have bad grammar but they have spiritual wisdom and understand other members post and communicate very well with what they say so If It's possible to overlook the bad English, look past It and focus on what they are saying.
 
Last edited: