Grandbabies

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

melita916

Aug 12, 2011
faith-in-Christ, have you decided how you want your grand baby to call you?

my oldest nephews call my mom "ma". she babysat them for years while my sister worked, so they picked up "ma" from my brother and me lol. and they called their mom "mami."

Faith-n-Christ

May 12, 2016

my oldest nephews call my mom "ma". she babysat them for years while my sister worked, so they picked up "ma" from my brother and me lol. and they called their mom "mami."
That's cute. it;s funny how they come up with the names. I called my great grandma (Ma)
My kids call my grandma G-ma. She likes it. She can't believe she is fixin to be a great great grandma.

MrH59

Jun 24, 2018
Beech Island SC
That's cute. it;s funny how they come up with the names. I called my great grandma (Ma)
My kids call my grandma G-ma. She likes it. She can't believe she is fixin to be a great great grandma.
It is funny, most kids come up with their own name for you. My G-maws name was Emma. When I was small I called her Emo. So the family started it. I was a teenager before I knew she wasn’t Emo.

S

Susanna

I'm 42 and ive been a grandma for many months now. We sure are young in my family when it comes to offspring haha. My daugther calls me Super-Granny...but thats only because she dont think im acting like a real granny haha. According to her a real granny outta be sittin a rocking chair, and not be like me mhm lol.

S

SpoonJuly

The best part of having grand kids is that when you are tired of enjoying them, you can sent them home.
Could not do that with my kids.;)

Faith-n-Christ

May 12, 2016

Sorry Melita, the first part (question) did not register. To answer your question, honestly I haven't given it much thought. I guess I'm kinda traditional. Gran or Grandma. I don't really see myself as a granny, meemee, memaw, or what ever other names are out there. I reckon in the end, I will answer to what ever name the baby calls me. 😀

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
That's interesting. Great Aunts are grandparents? If you don't mind, may I ask your culture? I love learning and hearing about cultures other than mine. Please don,t feel obligated to answer. I also respect privacy. Thank you.
FC,
Sweetmorningdew and i are from the Philippines, tho i know she speaks another tongue from another island=).

As to your question abt what it's like to be a grandparent, just exciting!

Lighthearted

Oct 17, 2016
Here where we live, LH, great aunts and uncles are automatically lola and lolo (grandma and grandpa)=)). So i knew i was also a grandma when a niece first had a child.
Thanks for sharing. So, what does it make you when your children have children? Are you Lola and Lolo to them as well?

Lighthearted

Oct 17, 2016
I agree it is exciting. I just became a Great Aunt for the first time and my nephew is just adorable. All my nieces and nephews are taking their time having children these days...which I guess is a good thing...

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I am going to be a grandma for the first time in about 5 months.

I thought this would be a nice place to share for us grandparents, and soon to be.

I'm excited and unsure yet!! (I'm to young to be a granny)😏

What's it like to be a grandparent?

This thread is open to any and all grandbaby discussions.
I first became a grandpa at the age of 45 so I can imagine how excited you are about this new arrival. Being a grandparent is cool, you can enjoy the kids, spoil them a little and then give them back to the parents. You get the opportunity to do the fun stuff but have no responsibility for the hard stuff. Of course, if you are able, you should help your children from time to time but ultimately the job of raising the grandchildren is that of the parents. Even though I only had one child, a daughter, I have 5 grandchildren. My daughter gave birth to twins last year and we went up to see them last year. Had an absolute blast.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
What in the world are you talking about?

Sweet is one of the most humble, loving people on this site.

Why is it that many of your posts bashing people never make any sense?
I agree, Sweet is indeed humble and I could not make sense of the nonsensical post either. Perhaps this member was referring to someone else in another thread and posted here by mistake. Either way, I am clueless as to what the post was about.

MrH59

Jun 24, 2018
Beech Island SC
I agree, Sweet is indeed humble and I could not make sense of the nonsensical post either. Perhaps this member was referring to someone else in another thread and posted here by mistake. Either way, I am clueless as to what the post was about.
I think it was a geographic misunderstanding. There culture when you are blessed with a niece or nephew they address you as Lola or Lolo ( grandma and grandpa. All blessings to everyone.

Faith-n-Christ

May 12, 2016
I first became a grandpa at the age of 45 so I can imagine how excited you are about this new arrival. Being a grandparent is cool, you can enjoy the kids, spoil them a little and then give them back to the parents. You get the opportunity to do the fun stuff but have no responsibility for the hard stuff. Of course, if you are able, you should help your children from time to time but ultimately the job of raising the grandchildren is that of the parents. Even though I only had one child, a daughter, I have 5 grandchildren. My daughter gave birth to twins last year and we went up to see them last year. Had an absolute blast.
☺ thanks. I only knew my maternal great grandmother as a kid. She raised me till she passed. Guess that's why folks say ," I'm an old soul, trapped in a young body". My paternal grandmother I met 7 yrs ago. So not really sure of the traditional roll a grandparent plays.

I raised my son, though he is not Mr. Perfection. 😏 none of us are and I would never dream of interfering in how he raised his children. I may offer my years of wisdom from time to time.
Kinda felt good the other day. My daughter-in-law, respects me enough to call me and ask me over the nurse treating her how her IV should be doing. (her first ever) and she was scared. Her and the baby are fine she just got dehydrated.

Its strange and wonderful. I broke a family cycle and getting to see my children live, grow and expand their wings, starting their own families now. In away I am getting to witness the fruits of my labor and the Lord's grace. It in itself is a humbling experience. If that makes any sense.

5 grandchildren wow. Are they close by? My son and daughter-in-law lived with me for about 3 months. He got a job in this state. But his wife was home sick she had never been away from her family, so they moved back. Rent is much cheaper there and it is cheaper for him to commute every two weeks. Its about 6 hrs from here. I don't like him driving so much, but he is being wise with his money. And this ole mom prayers for him 😏.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016

I thought this would be a nice place to share for us grandparents, and soon to be.

This thread is open to any and all grandbaby discussions.
Oh, my goodness..... buckle up for the ride of your life!

Grand kids are God's reward to parents for not killing their kids as teenagers.

If I had known how great grandkids were, I'd have skipped the kids and gone straight to grand kids....

Seriously.... you will LOVE it. It's difficult to grasp how deeply you can love a kid... even after raising your own.

We have two grand girls... the oldest is 9, and lives about 6 hours away. The youngest is 6, and lives about 15 minutes away. Both of them are just wonderful gifts from God... they call me Papa... but they could call me anything they wanted to, and still have me wrapped around their little fingers....

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
My son and his wife said that we should expect our first grandchild within the next 2 years. (y):)

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA
I don't want to reveal this here on CC but I am a grandma already 😂 since i was 22 years old 😂 Nieces and Nephews Kids 😍 but i don't let them call me grandma 😉 They call me "Ate" which means "older sister" 😂 I love them all ❤
you are in great 'err' sweet,
you must put your 'ego' aside for your families sake -
because, you will eventually be 'found-out', and most likely be hated for what you have done...
Age and family is an honor and a badge to be worn to GOD's glory. What is in a name? Ate? Gramio? Nanna? Tis all the same. Own it and give GOD the glory!

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA

Soothing!

Congratulations I am happy for you!

May 12, 2016
I talked to my son and daughter-in-law twice today. Both and baby are doing great. will know sex of baby soon :). and I get to see my son Monday. So I'm a happy mom and soon to be grandma:)

Aug 2, 2009
SMD, if they are children of your nieces and nephews, that doesnt make you a grandma...
Actually it does in her country, the Philippines. :) (my country too) Technically they are great aunts and great uncles but we just call them grandma (lola) and grandpa (lolo) anyway. Its pretty much tradition.

Aug 30, 2018
Welcome to the club! we have 4 aged 2 - 14 and they are the joy of our lives. Another 2 on the way too so it's hectic at times. I have often thought being a grandparent is the reason I was put on this planet for. Good luck and you will love being a Grandparent.