Great Historic Revivals and What Triggers Them

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

MadHermit

May 8, 2018
7seasrekeyed: "much harder to live for Christ on a daily basis then to jump up and down at a revival, sign a pledge and get goosebumps"

In my observation, it is precisely the people wh "jump up and down at a revival" who best "live for Christ on a daily basis.." Their walk is superior because they have been spiritually refueled by the Spirit and are thus excited about their faith. That excitement helps explain why young people are jumping out the windows to escape mainline churches (including those of my own United Methodist denomination) and flocking in droves to Pentecostal/ Charismatic fellowships.

I am comfortable with this generalization: Christians who lack interest in what God has done in great revivals of the past are generally Christians whose lives are spiritually impoverished by their indifference to the work of the Spirit.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
There are times in history when what is happening in a period changes the world. One of the periods was started in 325 with Constantine who made the Christian religion the state religion. It changed the entire world. Another was when the barbaric tribes affected European civilization. The 1500's with the printing press, Luther, the discovery of America was another.

I think we are in such a transition. It started with Hitler, then the Hebrews made prophecy come alive for the first time in centuries. It changed the attitude toward the Jews who are a close part of God's plan for us all. The deep sea scroll discovery is part of the change, for by giving us history, opening up understanding of ancient language, and showing us the accuracy of scripture it has led to a renewing of understanding of God. Now, people are learning of God from the entire scripture, before often people even bought bibles consisting of only the NT.

There is even a large new religious sect that started in the 60's as a result of these changes, and just as happens with anything new, the establishment is up in arms. The establishment has labeled it "Roots" and anything of the OT is given that label. To the establishment it is like calling a Negro "nigger". It is still new enough to have growing pains and mistakes, but it is opening up the study of the Lord in much greater depth than before.

Mar 28, 2016
One thing I question is what is the difference between revival and reformation ?

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
The Book of Judges reveals repeated revivals amongst the straying Jews...
Here is the repeated pattern...

Judges 3:7-9 (NASB) The sons of Israel did what was evil in the sight of the LORD, and forgot the LORD their God and served the Baals and the Asheroth. Then the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel, so that He sold them into the hands of Cushan-rishathaim king of Mesopotamia; and the sons of Israel served Cushan-rishathaim eight years. When the sons of Israel cried to the LORD, the LORD raised up a deliverer for the sons of Israel to deliver them, Othniel the son of Kenaz, Caleb's younger brother.

In Revelation Jesus gives His prescription for such...

Revelation 3:2-3 (NASB) 'Wake up, and strengthen the things that remain, which were about to die; for I have not found your deeds completed in the sight of My God. 'So remember what you have received and heard; and keep it, and repent. Therefore if you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what hour I will come to you.

MadHermit

May 8, 2018
One thing I question is what is the difference between revival and reformation ?
Good question because too many modern evangelists water down the term "revival" to refer to the excitement of their meetings. As Christian historians use the term, "revival" differs from reformation or effective evangelism in this respect: In a revival the Holy Spirit falls primarily not on Christians, but on unchurched non-Christians. En masse, skeptics and the irreligious suddenly and for no apparent reason feel an acute need to repent and surrender their lives to Christ. For example. as the video so eloquently documents for the Welsh Revival produced 100, 000 unchurched converts within just 4 months with little promotional effort. During the Hebrides Revival, travelers on ships passing by the Hebrides were often suddenly gripped by the presence of God and His claims on their lives without even knowing that the revival was in progress! in both the Welsh and Hebrides Revivals, the unstructured service could last until 4:30 AM, and even then the people didn't want to go home! Tnat's Holy Spirit Revival!

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
First, readers, carefully notice that critics on this thread are pontificating from ignorance and have not educated themselves by watching the videos, so they might know what they're talking aobut.
Second, notice how this point is overlooked: only one revival video deals with the growth of Pentecostalism. The other 2 deal with revival fueled by Presbyterians, Congregationalists, and Baptists!

Hevosmies: "Wow! Fear mongering, trying to scare Subhumanoidal to subjection by warning of blaspheming the Holy Ghost and pretending the growth of pentecostalism is some miracle while other churches are dying.

You are blissfully ignorant of how the NT church understood Jesus' teaching about blaspheming the Holy Spirit. The only 2 Christian documents from the NT period that are not in the NT are the Teaching of the 12 Apostles (better known as Didache) and 1 Clement. [Ignatius's epistles are written a decade later.] Jesus does not explain how the sin of blaspheming the Holy Spirit is committed; so it is important to see how the NT church understood this sin. They understood it to mean a persistent refusal to be open to the revelation of divinely accredite prophetic manifestations:

"And every prophet who speaks in the Spirit you shall neither try nor judge; for every sin shall be forgiven, but this sin shall not be forgiven. But not every one who speaks in the Spirit is a prophet (Didache 11)."

The prolonged disciplined praying that ignites the prophetic conviction of sin that sparks the 3 great revivals celebrated in the videos warrants in depth study and imitation. Posters' intellectually dishonest dismissal of God's work in these revivals without bothering to watch them exposes their godless spiritual priorities and puts them in danger of blaspheming the Holy Spirit according to the understanding of the NT church.

AS someone who has dealt with and still does deal with pentecostalism/pentecostals, let me tell you why pentecostalism is growing:

Hevosmies: "It's growing because nobody is preaching hard against sin and people are made to feel comfortable."

On the contrary, it's growing because the manifestations and gifts of the Holy Spirit confront the sins of the people with unique power and conviction! I grew up Pentecostal and have had 3 Pentecostal uncles who preached repentance to great effect. You don't know what you are talking about.

Hevosmies: "It's [Pentecostalism] growing because its WORLDLY! Its growing because its CARNAL! Its growing because of smoke machines, disco nights, emotionalism, name it claim it, promises of earthly wealth, worldly backstreet boys sodomite sounding moaning "praise" music, queer looking "cool" pastors with ripped skinny jeans and 40pounds of hairgel on with sermons about how great you are and how much of a great plan God has for you."

Now you are resorting to the uneducated desperate expedient of creating a stereotype straw man from the loony fringe as an excuse to dismiss God's marvelous work of redemption. You really do need to read a book like "Jesus in Beijing" in which a NY Times reporter documents the conversion of 80 million Chinese to Pentecostalism through outpourings of the Spirit like in Acts 2 and not through the rubbish outlined in your godless slander.

Hevosmies: "And to top it all off: being against Political correctness somehow equals racism?"

More bigotry! First, I merely asked the question and leveled no accusation.
Second, American Blacks want whites to refer to them as "African Americans" and their wishes should be respected. After all, we routinely refer to Irish Americans, Italian Americans, and Asian Americans, etc. So any irrelevant objection to the designation "African Americans" rightly raises the question of racist motivation for this disrespect.
We are educated in Jesus, Yeshua, by the Word.

As for what man has come to call revivals, the great revival continues since the Cross.

obedienttogod

Jan 3, 2019

Much could be added if we tried all day.

The Revival coming, is the last call for sinners. So, whether one agrees or disagrees, the revival coming is God's last call. What we therefore need to be doing, is making a list of people who we desire to meet God. Yes, pray daily they will see and choose God. But the Last Coming Revival, might be the reason someone chooses to be beheaded over taking the Mark. This revival is a must participate, it will be worldwide, and it's the last chance to win souls. When the revival is done with, so will be our freedoms.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I sometimes wonder what happened at Billy Graham 'crusades' lots of people go. They hear the gospel, but I dont really hear about mansifestions of the holy spirit or repentence. Signs and wonders dont seem to follow, people just make 'decisions'. I think many went to hear Billy Graham speak and watch him, because he's a big name plus he partners with the churches and gets them all to come, so many of these people are already in church but just need stirring up. I dont know just seems like theres a difference.

Would that be more of a rally than a revival. Revival to me means people falling on their knees and genuinely repenting from sin not just saying so or walking foreard or putting up their hand. And people everywhere would be doing nothing but praising God...all the pubs would empty, there would be people gerring healed, turning from their former life , being baptised, sharing the Bible, some giving up all their possessions, jobs etc for more imprtant things. Theyd be casting out demons. Instead of waiting for just one person to preach like Billy graham...everyone would have the power to speak the word with boldness.

Aug 2, 2009
The Welsh Revival of 1904-05 soon spread in 1906-08 to Azusa Street in Los Angeles, the place where global Pentecostalism was birthed--a revival that has led to 600 million converts. The spearhead of the revival is the most spiritually effective African American of all time, William Seymour, a man, tragically, that most modern Christians have never heard of. If you hunger for more of God and want to learn from the most effective prayer warriors ever, then you need to watch this excellent documentary:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...45B6BE51A88D862B614E45B6BE51A88D862&FORM=VIRE
A revival these days would be very difficult, if not impossible. Even if those past events happened today, they wouldn't get the same reaction. People were much more receptive to the idea of the power of God back then and the church was generally very well respected by society in those times.

MadHermit

May 8, 2018
Actually moral decline was arguably even greater prior to the Great Awakening than it is today. If readers watch the posted videos, I'll post another on the Great Awakening that proves this claim.

Mar 28, 2016
Much could be added if we tried all day.

The Revival coming, is the last call for sinners. So, whether one agrees or disagrees, the revival coming is God's last call. What we therefore need to be doing, is making a list of people who we desire to meet God. Yes, pray daily they will see and choose God. But the Last Coming Revival, might be the reason someone chooses to be beheaded over taking the Mark. This revival is a must participate, it will be worldwide, and it's the last chance to win souls. When the revival is done with, so will be our freedoms.

The question I asked is what if any is the difference between a Revival and a Reformation?
Revivals seem more sporatic where Reformation seem more universal.
Some churches have weekly revival meetings almost as part of the format . But Reformations seem less frequent. I can think of two. One in the first century and one in the fifteenth century.

7seasrekeyed

7seasrekeyed: "much harder to live for Christ on a daily basis then to jump up and down at a revival, sign a pledge and get goosebumps"

In my observation, it is precisely the people wh "jump up and down at a revival" who best "live for Christ on a daily basis.." Their walk is superior because they have been spiritually refueled by the Spirit and are thus excited about their faith. That excitement helps explain why young people are jumping out the windows to escape mainline churches (including those of my own United Methodist denomination) and flocking in droves to Pentecostal/ Charismatic fellowships.

I am comfortable with this generalization: Christians who lack interest in what God has done in great revivals of the past are generally Christians whose lives are spiritually impoverished by their indifference to the work of the Spirit.

see, the problem with revivals is they do not last and neither does the excitement

I moved a couple of years ago from an area that had a huge revival (up in Canada) a hundred years or so ago....now, even the 'Christians' in that area run on superstition and sin is rampant...among them. I was not originally from that area or province and it was pretty much a minor culture shock

I get spiritually refueled, as you put it, on a regular basis in my walk. what is actually lacking, IMO, is proper teaching and actual love for one another as the body of Christ.

oh it's all great in a 'revival' but that is not the backbone of Christianity nor does it last

Christians who lack interest in what God has done in great revivals of the past are generally Christians whose lives are spiritually impoverished by their indifference to the work of the Spirit.
I generally don't care for broad brush statements myself

7seasrekeyed

Good question because too many modern evangelists water down the term "revival" to refer to the excitement of their meetings. As Christian historians use the term, "revival" differs from reformation or effective evangelism in this respect: In a revival the Holy Spirit falls primarily not on Christians, but on unchurched non-Christians. En masse, skeptics and the irreligious suddenly and for no apparent reason feel an acute need to repent and surrender their lives to Christ. For example. as the video so eloquently documents for the Welsh Revival produced 100, 000 unchurched converts within just 4 months with little promotional effort. During the Hebrides Revival, travelers on ships passing by the Hebrides were often suddenly gripped by the presence of God and His claims on their lives without even knowing that the revival was in progress! in both the Welsh and Hebrides Revivals, the unstructured service could last until 4:30 AM, and even then the people didn't want to go home! Tnat's Holy Spirit Revival!

I can't argue with that

but these one man shows through which revival seems to come, also seem to be a thing of the past

Mar 28, 2016
I can't argue with that

but these one man shows through which revival seems to come, also seem to be a thing of the past
It would seem so . Whats next?

Like a traditon of men. Emotions get low fill her up.... let the show begin..

Reformations that restore seem to have more of a lasting effect as a contrite and humble heart. More work of patience needed but again have a better lasting power. .

Find the key that worked to unlock the gates of hell in the first century reformation and apply it in any generation, any denomination..

obedienttogod

Jan 3, 2019
The question I asked is what if any is the difference between a Revival and a Reformation?
Revivals seem more sporatic where Reformation seem more universal.
Some churches have weekly revival meetings almost as part of the format . But Reformations seem less frequent. I can think of two. One in the first century and one in the fifteenth century.

Reformation is applied to something already established. Revival is more like a hooking up a trailer, by proxy, you are charging your trailer battery when running the lights/signals. Since more connections are made, you are getting better volt output because of the charge to the battery. It's a literal live wire. And when you get connected, you know you are touching something you want more of. So revival therefore is vital, reformation is only necessary if you never plan on awakening the dead.

MadHermit

May 8, 2018
But that's only because modern believers are too undisciplined and unmotivated to put in the many hours of impassioned prayer that past agents of historical revivals were willing to do. That's why I'm so appalled at the unwillingness of posters to even watch videos that outline how great revivals come. Our lack of interest in revival secrets is the key to explaining why true revivals are a thing of the past.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
I sometimes wonder what happened at Billy Graham 'crusades' lots of people go. They hear the gospel, but I dont really hear about mansifestions of the holy spirit or repentence. Signs and wonders dont seem to follow, people just make 'decisions'. I think many went to hear Billy Graham speak and watch him, because he's a big name plus he partners with the churches and gets them all to come, so many of these people are already in church but just need stirring up. I dont know just seems like theres a difference.

Would that be more of a rally than a revival. Revival to me means people falling on their knees and genuinely repenting from sin not just saying so or walking foreard or putting up their hand. And people everywhere would be doing nothing but praising God...all the pubs would empty, there would be people gerring healed, turning from their former life , being baptised, sharing the Bible, some giving up all their possessions, jobs etc for more imprtant things. Theyd be casting out demons. Instead of waiting for just one person to preach like Billy graham...everyone would have the power to speak the word with boldness.
There was a follow up made of the people who went forward at the Billy Graham crusades and it made a difference in only a small percentage of lives.

Demons are at work in our world so the media is used as a propaganda machine to teach all people. Women are said to be sexy, rather than beautiful. The occult teaching can be seen in lots of movies. People are even arrested at times for obeying the Lord in the name of discrimination. Christians are often mocked and looked down on in the news. Our churches are not for the people who believe in the Lord enough to listen to how the Lord wants us to think and live. That is called works, and we are taught the works will not save, so don't try working as the Lord teaches. Churches teach that God is love, and that is so right. Churches also teach that God accepts and loves sin. The truth of a God who forgives all sin is distorted as people listen to the acceptance of all propaganda.

The revival needs to be a revival of the doctrines of our churches. We need a back to the bible movement, and not just the last small section of the bible but all of the word of the lord. The churches need to grow past ridiculing the 613 laws and the sacrificial system into understanding our God.

MadHermit

May 8, 2018
I recall a large public church discussion forum after a Billy Graham crusade. I skeptic asked your question of why there were so few lasting conversions. A pastor replied, "Well, let's see: how many of you here were saved at that Billy Graham crusade?" Hundreds stoo to their feet!" I spent the first 21 years of my life in Winnipeg, Canada. In 1967 Billy Graham came to town because Canada was currently celebrating their hundredth anniversary as a country. I attended every night of the week-long crusade. I arrived early and marveled at how palpably the brooding presence of the Holy Spirit hovered over the large arena long before the meeting began. Hundred came forward to accept Christ every night! Around 2012, a visiting United Church of Canada pastor told me that was saved in that crusade and was soon called to the ministry.

Yes, many decisions for Christ at Billy Graham crusades don't seem to last. Still, his crusades were far more evangelistically effective than what passes for evangelism in contemporary evangelical churches. But Billy Graham's crusades don't even remotely qualify as great revivals by the standards of historical revivals documented in the posted videos!

7seasrekeyed

But that's only because modern believers are too undisciplined and unmotivated to put in the many hours of impassioned prayer that past agents of historical revivals were willing to do. That's why I'm so appalled at the unwillingness of posters to even watch videos that outline how great revivals come. Our lack of interest in revival secrets is the key to explaining why true revivals are a thing of the past.

well, don't know if you see it or not, but you kind of made my point :eek:

it has been pretty much a limited number of people that bring a revival to pass...or even a group of say 100

the many lives that are touched....where'd they go?

so maybe discuss why we have revivals...I've seen folks on this forum say 'oh we need a revival' but I don't think they have much of an idea why we would have one in the first place

I will stay say that God 'revives' the individual and changes lives...and then we have copy cats...people doing whatever cause their friend is doing it...or family member...but maybe that is a discussion for another thread

by and large, in the amount of time I've been here, people do not want to watch long videos and it's not for lack of posters posting them...generally speaking, I don't watch them either unless it's of particular interest, so don't fret...nothing new

7seasrekeyed

meh

ok ok...maybe I'll watch 1 or 2

maybe :unsure:

I am so short on time