Happiness and Christianity

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Chavah

Feb 17, 2018
I probably wouldn’t describe myself as a happy Christian.
Sometimes even, when I am in the company of over-cheered people I feel like sending them to other room. Go and be joyful elsewhere ... preferable behind the closed door.
Sometimes it feels like their happiness and joy is fake. Sometimes it feels fresh and honest and it helps me a lot.

Is it ok for Christian to not to be happy? Is it normal for Christian to not think positively? After what Jesus did for me? Us?

It might be normal, according to research study (NSF, 2005) we have mostly negative thoughts. Not just Christians, but in general. The average person has about 12,000 to 60,000 thoughts per day. Of those, 80% are negative and 95% are exactly the same repetitive thoughts as the day before and about 80% are negative.

And yes, yes we all know about that verse how we can be transformed by the renewing of our mind.

But this small facts about human (negative) mindset helped me a lot.
It is not just me, all of us tends to think negatively from time to time. Or every day. That’s how we are. Sometimes we don feel happy, but we do feel low, even very low. Sometimes we can’t stand our life.
And I found out that I am in the good company of strong biblical characters and God’s men and women as well, who felt the same.

Rebekah, Isaac’s wife:
"I’m disgusted with living because of these Hittite women. If Jacob takes a wife from among the women of this land, from Hittite women like these, my life will not be worth living."

Prophet Elijah:
"He came to a broom bush, sat down under it and prayed that he might die. I have had enough, Lord,’ he said. ‘Take my life; I am no better than my ancestors."

King Solomon:
"Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless
the day of death is better than the day of birth.
."

John Calvin (father of the Reformation) said in his dying hour:
All that I have done has been of no value. The wicked will gladly seize on the word. But I repeat it again, all that I have done is of no value.”

David Livingston, pathfinder of mission in Africa in the beginning of 19th century, anti-slavery campaigner. After 23 years of his faithful work his biographer writes (paraphrase):
The only thing I have achieved is, that I made Africa more visible for slave trade. My mission even after 23 years doesn't bring any fruits, all of my work is in vain.

George Bowen, great missionary of 19th century, born in USA gave up all of his fortune, everything he owned and went to India (Bombay) where he lived in poorest district in poverty and became a street preacher. He was every day on the streets preaching and after more than 40 years of preaching he didn’t record anyone who would come to Jesus. No one.
So, when he was near to end of his life, he said (paraphrase):
I am the most miserable and unusable man in the whole church. It seems that God enjoys shattering me with disappointments and failures. I sympathize with Job and I understand Elijah. All of my effort was totally in vain.

His influence and work were recognized only after he died, because after his death many Christians felt calling for missionary work in India and were encouraged by Bowen life.

So far I didn't get further with my thinking about happiness. Feel free to add your drop of wisdom.

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018
You are a great guy hey.

Even James says

James 4:9 Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness.

There is nothing "wrong" with being sad per say. Especially in the world and apostasy that we live in today. The people that are always happy and think everything is always great and things are getting better are most likely either fakers or deceivers/deceived.
Even the most happiest of men feel sad SOMETIMES.

Now if you are depressed to the point where you cannot function anymore, that is when its a problem I would say.
I get happy from the small things in life often times, a good work-out, a cup of coffee while reading the news and things of that sort.

Remember that the worldly people who are happy are often that because of SIN, because the Bible tells us there is a pleasure in sin for a season. That season obviously ends when the individual dies.

Dont be discouraged my friend, dont take one step back and keep contending for the faith.

Sep 3, 2016
Most Christians stop at salvation and never enter into sanctification. Failure to do so, we die spiritually in the wilderness.

“1 Now Joshua was old and stricken in years; and the LORD said unto him, You are old and stricken in years (Joshua, at this time, was 101 years of age), and there remains yet very much land to be possessed. (The account in this Chapter given to us concerning the possession of the land, or the lack thereof, points to every Believer that which the Lord has prepared for us; however, there are enemies between the Promise and the Possession. God has a Perfect Plan for us, but, regrettably, so few of us press through to that Perfect Plan. We all too often stop short! The words, “there remains yet very much land to be possessed,” should strike long, hard, and true to the heart of every Believer.)

“2 This is the land that yet remains: all the borders of the Philistines, and all Geshuri (and we must remember, it is the Holy Spirit Who is delineating these things),

3 From Sihor, which is before Egypt, even unto the borders of Ekron northward, which is counted to the Canaanite: five lords of the Philistines; the Gazathites, and the Ashdothites, the Eshkalonites, the Gittites, and the Ekronites; also the Avites:

4 From the south, all the land of the Canaanites, and the Mearah that is beside the Sidonians, unto Aphek, to the borders of the Amorites:

5 And the land of the Giblites, and all Lebanon, toward the sunrising, from Baal-gad under Mount Hermon unto the entering into Hamath.”

“6 All the inhabitants of the hill country from Lebanon unto Misrephoth-maim, and all the Sidonians, them will I drive out from before the Children of Israel: only divide you it by lot unto the Israelites for an inheritance, as I have commanded you.

7 Now therefore divide this land for an inheritance unto the nine Tribes, and the half Tribe of Manasseh,

8 With whom the Reubenites and the Gadites have received their inheritance, which Moses gave them, beyond Jordan eastward, even as Moses the Servant of the LORD gave them;

9 From Aroer, that is upon the bank of the river Arnon, and the city that is in the midst of the river, and all the plain of Medeba unto Dibon;”

“10 And all the cities of Sihon king of the Amorites, which reigned in Heshbon, unto the border of the Children of Ammon;

11 And Gilead, and the border of the Geshurites and Maachathites, and all Mount Hermon, and all Bashan unto Salcah;

12 All the kingdom of Og in Bashan, which reigned in Ashtaroth and in Edrei, who remained of the remnant of the giants: for these did Moses smite, and cast them out.

13 Nevertheless the Children of Israel expelled not the Geshurites, nor the Maachathites: but the Geshurites and the Maachathites dwell among the Israelites until this day. (The word “nevertheless” proclaims failure among the people of God to possess all that was promised. Such is the sad condition of far too many Believers. While some victories are won, “nevertheless” some things remain — things which steal, kill, and destroy. How many enemies remain unsubdued in the hearts of Believers?”

“There is only one way that victory can be attained in the life of the Christian. Not ten ways, not five ways, not even two ways, only one way.

All victory over sin, and in every capacity, and, to be sure, sin is the problem, was purchased and thereby attained at the Cross of Calvary [Eph. 2:13-18; Col. 2:14-15; Gal., Chpt. 5; 6:14]. As a result, the Believer’s Faith, and this is so very, very important, must ever have the Cross of Christ as its Object [Rom. 6:3-14]. If the Believer is faithful in anchoring his Faith in the Cross of Christ, and maintaining his Faith in the Cross of Christ, the Holy Spirit, Who works exclusively within the parameters of the Finished Work of Christ, will, without fail, subdue every enemy within our hearts and lives [Rom. 8:1-2, 11]. That, and that alone, is God’s Prescribed Order Of Victory; otherwise, instead of the Believer subduing the enemies of his soul, the enemies of his soul will subdue him.)”

Excerpt From
The Expositor's Study Bible
Jimmy Swaggart
https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/the-expositors-st

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Sometimes even, when I am in the company of over-cheered people I feel like sending them to other room. Go and be joyful elsewhere ... preferable behind the closed door.
Sometimes it feels like their happiness and joy is fake. Sometimes it feels fresh and honest and it helps me a lot.

Is it ok for Christian to not to be happy? Is it normal for Christian to not think positively? After what Jesus did for me? Us?

It might be normal, according to research study (NSF, 2005) we have mostly negative thoughts. Not just Christians, but in general. The average person has about 12,000 to 60,000 thoughts per day. Of those, 80% are negative and 95% are exactly the same repetitive thoughts as the day before and about 80% are negative.

And yes, yes we all know about that verse how we can be transformed by the renewing of our mind.

It is not just me, all of us tends to think negatively from time to time. Or every day. That’s how we are. Sometimes we don feel happy, but we do feel low, even very low. Sometimes we can’t stand our life.
And I found out that I am in the good company of strong biblical characters and God’s men and women as well, who felt the same.

Rebekah, Isaac’s wife:
"I’m disgusted with living because of these Hittite women. If Jacob takes a wife from among the women of this land, from Hittite women like these, my life will not be worth living."

Prophet Elijah:
"He came to a broom bush, sat down under it and prayed that he might die. I have had enough, Lord,’ he said. ‘Take my life; I am no better than my ancestors."

King Solomon:
."

All that I have done has been of no value. The wicked will gladly seize on the word. But I repeat it again, all that I have done is of no value.”

David Livingston, pathfinder of mission in Africa in the beginning of 19th century, anti-slavery campaigner. After 23 years of his faithful work his biographer writes (paraphrase):
The only thing I have achieved is, that I made Africa more visible for slave trade. My mission even after 23 years doesn't bring any fruits, all of my work is in vain.

George Bowen, great missionary of 19th century, born in USA gave up all of his fortune, everything he owned and went to India (Bombay) where he lived in poorest district in poverty and became a street preacher. He was every day on the streets preaching and after more than 40 years of preaching he didn’t record anyone who would come to Jesus. No one.
I am the most miserable and unusable man in the whole church. It seems that God enjoys shattering me with disappointments and failures. I sympathize with Job and I understand Elijah. All of my effort was totally in vain.

His influence and work were recognized only after he died, because after his death many Christians felt calling for missionary work in India and were encouraged by Bowen life.

So far I didn't get further with my thinking about happiness. Feel free to add your drop of wisdom.
Welcome, Chavah...
While I can relate to not feeling joyful all the time, your story hints at something deeper. There may be something buried in your past which is blocking your experience of joy. I would encourage you to invite Jesus to reveal and deal with any such hindrance(s). :)

Sep 3, 2016
And it came to pass, when Moses held up his hand, that Israel prevailed: and when he let down his hand, Amalek prevailed. Exodus 17:11

Amalek was to dwell in the land, but not to reign in it. Romans 6:12 says, "Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal bodies." The command would be unmeaning if the sin nature were not existing in the Christian. The sin nature dwells in a Believer, but dwells and reigns in an unbeliever.

Let me say this again! Do not miss this!

Works of the flesh
Paul tells us this in the 5th Chapter of Galatians. The entire Book of Galatians, but especially the 5th Chapter, is a warning from Paul to the Church at Galatia, which is also meant for us. The warning is that if they place their faith in anything except “Christ and Him Crucified,” that “Christ shall profit you nothing” (Gal. 5:2).

The Apostle goes on to say that if the Believer doesn’t adhere to the Way of the Spirit, which is the Way of the Cross, then works of the flesh will manifest themselves. He said:

“Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the Kingdom of God” (Gal. 5:19-21).

Now let me say it again, because it is so very important:
If the Believer doesn’t understand the Cross of Christ, as it regards Sanctification, then, in some way, one or more of these “works of the flesh” are going to manifest themselves in his life. As stated, such is inevitable! The first four, “Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, and lasciviousness,” are obvious and easily understood. But the modern Christian quickly dismisses “idolatry, witchcraft, and heresies,” thinking they do not really apply today.

Let us address that:
First of all, any suggested way of victory other than the Cross of Christ, such as the “Purpose Driven Life,” the “Government of Twelve,” the “Word of Faith,” or “Denominationalism,” etc., constitutes idolatry. In effect, it is the same as Old Testament times, when Israel would begin to worship idols instead of Jehovah. To be sure, Israel actually referred to these idols as Jehovah; but the Lord definitely did not look at it in the same manner! And neither does He look any differently at modern idolatry!
Furthermore, all of this constitutes “heresies,” in which the modern Church abounds.

Let me say it more clearly:
Any doctrine, way, scheme, or direction made up by men, which means it is devised by men and not by God, is constituted by the Lord as “heresy,” which is a “work of the flesh.” Let me say it again, and because it is so very, very important! Any way other than “Christ and Him Crucified” is, in the eyes of God, “heresy.” Once one begins to understand these “works of the flesh,” these things become more obvious.

The Message of the Cross - Pastor Jimmy Swaggart

Sep 3, 2016
The hands "upheld" signified total dependence on the Lord. When the Believer is totally depending on the Lord, and what He did for us at the Cross, the victory of Christ belongs to us; otherwise, it doesn't!

Exodus 17:12 says, "But Moses' hands were heavy; and they took a stone, and put it under him, and he sat thereon; and Aaron and Hur stayed up his hands, the one on the one side, and the other on the other side; and his hands were steady until the going down of the sun."

(The "Stone," as well, is symbolic of Christ. Moses exhaustion portrays the fact that our own efforts soon result in spiritual burn-out. But once we are in God's glorious way [sitting on the Stone], the victory is ours. "Aaron" was a Type of Christ as our Great High Priest, and "Hur," whose name means "light," speaks to us of the Holy Spirit. This is the help afforded the Child of God. But unfortunately, most Christians are trying to hold up their hands [trusting in God] by their own personal strength, which is doomed to failure.)

The Holy Spirit doesn't require much of us, but He does require one thing, and without reservation. Our Faith must be exclusively be in Christ and the Cross, understanding that this is God's Prescribed Order of Victory. When we stay "victory" we are speaking Victory in every capacity, be it spiritual, financial, domestically, physical, etc. God's Prescribed Order of Victory is "the Cross of Christ."

The Way Of The Spirit
Focus: The Lord Jesus Christ (John 14:6)
Object Of Faith: The Cross of Christ (Romans 6:1-14)
Power Source: The Holy Spirit (Romans 8:1-2, 11)
Results: Victory (Romans 6:14)

Man's Way
Focus: Works.
Object Of Faith: Performance.
Power Source: Self.
Results: Defeat!

The only way to God is through Jesus Christ (John 14:6)...the only way to Jesus Christ is by the Means of the Cross (Luke 14:27). The only way to the Cross is a denial of self (Luke 9:23). If any person tries to come any other way, Jesus says, "they are a thief and a robber" (John 10:1).

Exodus 17:13 says, "And Joshua discomfited Amalek and his people with the edge of the sword." (The "sword" here is a Type of the Word of God [Eph. 6:17]. The Word of God holds the answer to every single problem which pertains to "Life and Godliness" [2 Peter 1:3-4].)

The Expositor's Study Bible - Pastor Jimmy Swaggart

Feb 28, 2016
JOB 5:17-18.
Behold, happy is the man whom God corrects: therefore despise not you the chastening of The Almighty:

For He makes sore, and binds up: He wounds, and His hands make whole.

GAL. 5:22.
But the fruit of The Spirit is Love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, -

the 'fruits' of The Spirit are listed in priority, and joy is right next-door to LOVE,
and 'fake joy' is a bastard child...

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
You are a great guy hey.

Even James says

James 4:9 Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness.

There is nothing "wrong" with being sad per say. Especially in the world and apostasy that we live in today. The people that are always happy and think everything is always great and things are getting better are most likely either fakers or deceivers/deceived.
Even the most happiest of men feel sad SOMETIMES.

Now if you are depressed to the point where you cannot function anymore, that is when its a problem I would say.
I get happy from the small things in life often times, a good work-out, a cup of coffee while reading the news and things of that sort.

Remember that the worldly people who are happy are often that because of SIN, because the Bible tells us there is a pleasure in sin for a season. That season obviously ends when the individual dies.

Dont be discouraged my friend, dont take one step back and keep contending for the faith.
I related most to your post Hevosmies. When we look around at the world and our communities we begin to mourn for the wretched state of things. And if we dwelled on it to much, we would become much depressed.

The joy is still deep within us because we know the sad state of the world does not matter in the long run. We have read the Book of Life and we know it ends well. We may have to wait until the Lord transforms our mourning to laughter and our heaviness to joy, but we do know it is coming. Our happiness is not dependent on the here and now.

1 Cor. 15:19 "If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable." :D

T

theanointedsinner

Please @Deade , any help

my negativity also exhaust the patience of those who tries to help me
and I wish to think more positive and stop unintentionally exhausting the patience of others

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
Please @Deade , any help

my negativity also exhaust the patience of those who tries to help me
and I wish to think more positive and stop unintentionally exhausting the patience of others
Yeah theanointedsinner, I have read a few of your posts. Like the one where you are going to drag someone to hell. What kind of talk is that. Calm down and repent. Meditate on the word contrite. Look it up and meditate. Meanwhile, quit posting hateful comments. I'll be around if you need me, and I don't exhaust my patience.

EmilyFoster

Jul 10, 2018
Hi there. I feel nobody can be happy all the time. Life is a journey of ups and downs – some stay with us for long leaving us discouraged. But I think it’s important to live every season with the Lord, enjoy His grace and submit to Him each day. Reminds me of the encouragement from Psalm 37: 4-14. Please know that I’ll keep you in my prayers, too. Blessings!

T

theanointedsinner

Yeah theanointedsinner, I have read a few of your posts. Like the one where you are going to drag someone to hell. What kind of talk is that. Calm down and repent. Meditate on the word contrite. Look it up and meditate. Meanwhile, quit posting hateful comments. I'll be around if you need me, and I don't exhaust my patience.
it's true that actions does speak louder than words, but we must also remember that life and death is in the power of the tongue, and that words are also important as well

Sep 3, 2016
Hi there. I feel nobody can be happy all the time. Life is a journey of ups and downs – some stay with us for long leaving us discouraged. But I think it’s important to live every season with the Lord, enjoy His grace and submit to Him each day. Reminds me of the encouragement from Psalm 37: 4-14. Please know that I’ll keep you in my prayers, too. Blessings!
Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shall you dwell in the land, and verily you shall be fed (in other words, don’t look to the wicked or at the wicked, but rather “the Lord,” and in Him put your “trust”).

Delight yourself also in the LORD: and He shall give you the desires of your heart (what a Promise!).

Commit your way unto the LORD; trust also in Him; and He shall bring it to pass.

And He shall bring forth your righteousness as the light, and your judgment as the noonday (these things will ultimately be rewarded).

Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for Him: fret not yourself because of him who prospers in his way, because of the man who brings wicked devices to pass (in Verses 3-7 we have the four keys to a victorious life: “Trust,” “Delight,” “Commit,” and “Rest”).

JSM

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
I know folks know this, but I believe it is worth pointing out anyway, just to be clear.

Happiness is a state of physical well being, and temporal

Joy is a state of spiritual well being and eternal

We can be very, very sad and still know the joy of God and His boundless love for us.

A wonderful and horrible example of this is the life story of Horatio Spafford who penned the Hymn "It is Well With My Soul."

(just part of his story)

This hymn was written after traumatic events in Spafford's life. The first was the death of his son at the age of two and the Great Chicago Fire of 1871, which ruined him financially (he had been a successful lawyer and had invested significantly in property in the area of Chicago that was extensively damaged by the great fire). His business interests were further hit by the economic downturn of 1873, at which time he had planned to travel to Europe with his family on the SS Ville du Havre. In a late change of plan, he sent the family ahead while he was delayed on business concerning zoning problems following the Great Chicago Fire. While crossing the Atlantic Ocean, the ship sank rapidly after a collision with a sea vessel, the Loch Earn, and all four of Spafford's daughters died. His wife Anna survived and sent him the now famous telegram, "Saved alone …". Shortly afterwards, as Spafford traveled to meet his grieving wife, he was inspired to write these words as his ship passed near where his daughters had died.[2] Bliss called his tune Ville du Havre, from the name of the stricken vessel.[3]

You can read it all on Wikipedia: https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=Awr..._My_Soul/RK=2/RS=IR1HzgieDfWztc8ZIVJh5ExDq3Q-

Seeing what he went through, and STILL remaining firm in his love of and faith in God should inspire us all.

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012
I would ask, "Why are you not happy?" Maybe in getting to the root of your unhappiness you can then experience happiness. You may even have legitimate reasons for not being happy, but you may wish to be hopeful to not only alleviate that unhappiness but to also look forward to a better day. You could indeed be experiencing a present suffering, but God is your deliverer.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014

Rebekah, Isaac’s wife:

Prophet Elijah:

King Solomon:
."

In the earth, we face a lot of problem that make us unhappy.

Not happy because do not have a job, or sick or can be anything.

God let it happen to us, so we feel hopeless and come to Him.

Rebekah, Isaac’s wife:

Prophet Elijah:

King Solomon:
."

In the earth, we face a lot of problem, that make us unhappy. We are in the process, He clean and cut dry branches so that the tree may bear fruit. This process is hurt.

EmilyFoster

Jul 10, 2018
Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shall you dwell in the land, and verily you shall be fed (in other words, don’t look to the wicked or at the wicked, but rather “the Lord,” and in Him put your “trust”).

Delight yourself also in the LORD: and He shall give you the desires of your heart (what a Promise!).

Commit your way unto the LORD; trust also in Him; and He shall bring it to pass.

And He shall bring forth your righteousness as the light, and your judgment as the noonday (these things will ultimately be rewarded).

Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for Him: fret not yourself because of him who prospers in his way, because of the man who brings wicked devices to pass (in Verses 3-7 we have the four keys to a victorious life: “Trust,” “Delight,” “Commit,” and “Rest”).

JSM
Trust, Delight, Commit and Rest – thanks for the beautiful encouragement, friend. Blessings to you!

Chavah

Feb 17, 2018
Sorry for pulling this up, but I want to thank you all (EmilyFoster, Hevosmies, MessageOfTheCross, Dino246, oldethennew, Deade, theanointedsinner, p_rehbein, BenFTW and Jackson123), for completing and lightening up my little bit dark and heavy post.
I read all your comments and thoughts, even if little bit later, but I think that time distance helped me to receive your posts better.
Deade and BenFTW you were right on point, as always.
Thank you
Chavah