Has anyone noticed this before?!?!?!?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Devonmcknight68

Senior Member
Jan 9, 2016
241
7
18
Oh my goodness it drives me insane!!!!!! Why do people on the internet leave the "o" out of GOD. They spell it like this "G-d" dude it is the most disrespectful thing I have ever seen been typed from a believer. Does anyone have any idea why this is a thing?!?

I have seen it on multiple occasions and I just can't believe it when I see it.
 
It's a Hebrew thing. It's actually done out of reverence. They believe that God is so holy that it degrades His name to type it out, so they leave out the O. Or that's, roughly, what i have heard. Some Christians follow suit.
 
It doesn't really bother me. I've seen it once or twice, but I never knew the reason for it. I just assumed their O key was broken lol.
 
I never heard the Spirit of God tell me not to pronounce His name, have you? In fact, we're encouraged to call upon His name, to worship His name, to sing praises to His name.
 
Oh my goodness it drives me insane!!!!!! Why do people on the internet leave the "o" out of GOD. They spell it like this "G-d" dude it is the most disrespectful thing I have ever seen been typed from a believer. Does anyone have any idea why this is a thing?!?

I have seen it on multiple occasions and I just can't believe it when I see it.

I haven't seen that for a while, but I assumed the following:

There are those who believe it's disrespectful to refer to the Lord by name. It would be like referring to your dad as "John" rather than "Dad."

I therefore assumed these people thought it disrespectful to say "God" and therefore said "G-d." Now that I think about it, "G-d" doesn't impress me as respectful, either. I usually refer to him as "The Lord" or "Father."
 
Basically, the Jews were so concerned about law-keeping and not profaning God's name, that they didn't spell it, or left out letters. That's where it's from originally.
 
Oh my goodness it drives me insane!!!!!! Why do people on the internet leave the "o" out of GOD. They spell it like this "G-d" dude it is the most disrespectful thing I have ever seen been typed from a believer. Does anyone have any idea why this is a thing?!?

I have seen it on multiple occasions and I just can't believe it when I see it.

what do you think of folks who are not Jewish refusing to say Jesus...but instead have to use Yeshua or Jehovah for God?

it's like the words are holy and must be spoken a certain way....dunno
 
Yeah, but there were doing this long before you arrived, so it's been normal for a while now. :)
I don't know, if someone feels to desire to be reverent to God, even in such a small way, i don't see that as a bad thing. Unless they begin trying to force it on everyone else, or condemn those that don't agree. But if, to them, they want to honor God, even in the small things, it sounds reasonable to me. And it's not hurting anyone. I find it unnecessary myself, but don't condemn those that make the choice.

That's what I figured, but man idk it seems so off to me.
 
I was so confused when one of my teachers did that in class. I was like, "I think there's a type on your powerpoint there."
 
This stems from the Hebrew tradition of not saying or writing the personal name of God as given to Moses but only using the consonants so in English the name is written YHWH. As God is not a personal name writing G -d seems to be totally irrelevant. Jesus is the second person in the trinity but I notice nobody writes his name J-S-S. Although with the obsession of calling him Yeshua I wouldn't be surprised to see Y-SH-- cropping up very soon To me this is another
example of some taking the Jewish roots thing completely too far
 
It's a Hebrew thing. It's actually done out of reverence...

The Jews hide the Name of God, and certainly it was Satanically inspired out of some kind of false reverence, it was certainly NOT God's desire for them to hide His GREAT Name, YAHWEH, for in its usage (His covenant Names) by God's People His great Love and Power is revealed and available to a needy world and Church!

Exodus 3v14-16 states: "And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you. And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, Jehovah (YAHWEH), the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations. Go, and gather the elders of Israel together, and say unto them, Jehovah (YAHWEH), the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, of Isaac, and of Jacob, hath appeared unto me, saying, I have surely visited you, and (seen) that which is done to you in Egypt:

The Jews in their false reverence removed the vowels from YAHWEH to give YHWH (The Tetragramaton).