Has the law been put aside? If so, when?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
The Believer must understand the Truth that he was in Christ when Christ died on the Cross, was in Christ when He was buried, was in Christ when He was raised from the dead, and continues to be in Christ as He is now exalted at the Right Hand of the Father (Roman 6:3-5; Ephesians 2:6). Consequently, if Christ defeated Satan, that means the Christian has defeated Satan. If Christ atoned for all sin, then no sin can attach itself to the Believer, that is, if the Believer keeps trusting Christ. If Christ is a Law-keeper, than the Believer is a Law-keeper. If Christ is victorious, then the Believer is victorious.
Its much more simple than that.

The believer must understand that the Lord Jesus Christ saved them, not by their goodness or strength but by His Goodness and Strength.

Then the believer must Rest in that Goodness and Strength and not try to wander away imagining that they are good and strong on their own.

We are lead like sheep because we are dumb (not very much understanding of the Spiritual) and weak (cannot do what God does).

The sheep doesn't become the Shepherd because he has imagined himself wise and strong. A sheep may be wise and strong compared to other sheep but that's not really much of a boast is it?

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
The Believer must understand the Truth that he was in Christ when Christ died on the Cross, was in Christ when He was buried, was in Christ when He was raised from the dead, and continues to be in Christ as He is now exalted at the Right Hand of the Father (Roman 6:3-5; Ephesians 2:6). Consequently, if Christ defeated Satan, that means the Christian has defeated Satan. If Christ atoned for all sin, then no sin can attach itself to the Believer, that is, if the Believer keeps trusting Christ. If Christ is a Law-keeper, than the Believer is a Law-keeper. If Christ is victorious, then the Believer is victorious.
Well put!

Sep 3, 2016

The believer must understand that the Lord Jesus Christ saved them, not by their goodness or strength but by His Goodness and Strength.

Then the believer must Rest in that Goodness and Strength and not try to wander away imagining that they are good and strong on their own.

We are lead like sheep because we are dumb (not very much understanding of the Spiritual) and weak (cannot do what God does).

The sheep doesn't become the Shepherd because he has imagined himself wise and strong. A sheep may be wise and strong compared to other sheep but that's not really much of a boast is it?
If the Believers Faith is placed exclusively in Christ and the Cross, i.e., The Finished Work, i.e., The Blood of Jesus, the Believer will enter into the Lord's rest that is carried out by the power of the Holy Spirit (Romans 8:2, Hebrews 4:1). This is the only way that the Holy Spirit will deliver the Believer into the death, burial, and resurrection on Christ so that the life of Christ is manifested through the Believer by the power of the Holy Spirit both to will and to do of his good pleasure (Romans 6:3-5, Romans 8:2, 2 Cor. 4:11, Phil. 2:13). IT IS HIS LIFE THAT BRINGS VICTORY...NOT OURS. JESUS SAID, "YOU CAN DO NOTHING WITHOUT ME! EVERYTHING THAT MAN DOES DIES. EVERYTHING THAT JESUS DOES IS BLESSED AND LIVES AND HAS LIFE!

If the Believer does not understand this, all scriptures become enticing words to the flesh that will be attempted by the flesh to perform (Romans 8:2-3, 1 Cor. 2:4). The Believer now becomes a transgressor (Gal. 2:18).

The question is, "How much value do we place on the Offering of Christ?" Do we feel that the Cross is the answer to every question, the solution to every problem, the strength for every weakness, the life for every death, the salvation for every sin, and the health for every sickness? How you as a Believer look at the Cross, is how you value the Cross. This is very, very serious, so we should think about it very carefully.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
The Greeks had a completely different culture than the Hebrews and the language reflects that. It is impossible to completely give God's thoughts in Greek.
What utter, presumptuous rot! That's the most ridiculous statement I've seen in quite a while. If God wanted the NT written in Hebrew, it would have been written in Hebrew.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
The Believer must understand the Truth that he was in Christ when Christ died on the Cross, was in Christ when He was buried, was in Christ when He was raised from the dead,
Could you please provide Scripture clearly supporting this view?

john832

May 31, 2013

Jesus plainly says...

john832

May 31, 2013
Mat 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
I haven't said any such thing.

I said the law was fulfilled and we aren't under it anymore. The Old Covenant was fulfilled so we could be under a New Covenant.

The Old Covenant was broken and could not be fulfilled by individuals.

The New Covenant cannot be broken because God upholds both sides of it by His Grace and Goodness.

Paul used "law of Moses" to mean the Old Covenant and the Old way of following law. Which would be to read the law and try to follow it in your in own understanding.

Being under the New Covenant doesn't mean a breaking of the Old Covenant law. It just means a breaking of the carnal understanding of that law.

We are under the Spirit and not under the Letter. We are GIVEN Rest and not commanded to rest on a certain day.

We are given blessing and Righteousness as a Gift and not commanded to achieve blessing and righteousness by the law. (in the New Covenant)

Being under the law and trying to work at the law is like trying to control the tide. Only God can control it. Everything you do to control the tide is only your imagination and extreme ego working together to fool you.
It is changing the Lord's messages to you. Jesus fulfilled by making all the prophecies, all God planned for Christ to do come about and happen: fulfill. Not over and done with, God would have said that if that was so and God didn't. God said it was here now, complete and with us.

God gave the law, and that law spelled out all the things that kills us, but Christ gave forgiveness. God is telling you so when God says you aren't under the curse (death) from the law any more as you can go to Christ for forgiveness. God had did not mean for you to decide to do away with the law He gave you in love and care for you, that is the demons within you that tells you that.

When God gave you the Holy Spirit within you and told you to follow that, you need not be guided by rituals any longer now you have the Holy Spirit God meant for you to learn what the law was that He gave and follow that in the spirit of the lord, not legalistically.

You are twisting God's words so they are not from God any more, but from a spirit that is not the spirit of the Lord.

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
No.

The mosaic covenant has been done away with.

The law of Christ is still going, the Abrahamic covenant is still going, the Noah covenant is still going.
I go with what Jesus said about the law.

Matthew 5 AMPC
17 Do not think that I have come to do away with or undo the Law or the Prophets; I have come not to do away with or undo but to complete and fulfill them.
18 For truly I tell you, until the sky and earth pass away and perish, not one smallest letter nor one little hook [identifying certain Hebrew letters] will pass from the Law until all things [it foreshadows] are accomplished.
19 Whoever then breaks or does away with or relaxes one of the least [important] of these commandments and teaches men so shall be called least [important] in the kingdom of heaven, but he who practices them and teaches others to do so shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

In addition to the 10 commandments there are the laws scattered through the Torah.

List of the 613 laws in the Torah
http://www.gods-word-first.org/bible-study/613commandments.html

Discussion about the 613 laws in the Torah
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/613_commandments

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
It is changing the Lord's messages to you. Jesus fulfilled by making all the prophecies, all God planned for Christ to do come about and happen: fulfill. Not over and done with, God would have said that if that was so and God didn't. God said it was here now, complete and with us.

God gave the law, and that law spelled out all the things that kills us, but Christ gave forgiveness. God is telling you so when God says you aren't under the curse (death) from the law any more as you can go to Christ for forgiveness. God had did not mean for you to decide to do away with the law He gave you in love and care for you, that is the demons within you that tells you that.

When God gave you the Holy Spirit within you and told you to follow that, you need not be guided by rituals any longer now you have the Holy Spirit God meant for you to learn what the law was that He gave and follow that in the spirit of the lord, not legalistically.

You are twisting God's words so they are not from God any more, but from a spirit that is not the spirit of the Lord.
Matthew 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Romans 7:6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

Hebrews 7:18-19
18 For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof.
19 For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God.

2 Corinthians 3:6-9
6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.
7 But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
8 How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?
9 For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.

How is it that you don't understand the scriptures? This is what God has said. This is what He has proclaimed.

Galatians 3:2-3
2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

The law was given to stubborn, stupid, arrogant people who thought they could obey what God says to do. Those people didn't want to hear from God they only wanted to hear Moses.

Some of us have looked to the law and have heard what it was saying to do. We tried and continuously failed to obey it. So we came to Christ and asked for His Help. That is when we received Rest. That is when we were delivered from the law. That is when we began in the Ministration of Righteousness and left the ministration of death and condemnation behind.

But you will attempt to tell Christians to go back to that ministration of death and condemnation as if a continual curse, death and condemnation is Gods perpetual plan for all people. But its not. That is over.

The Lord Jesus Christ gives us rest from that.

I don't know how many scriptures have to be posted for the light to come on and understanding to finally dawn.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Mat 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
Matthew 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

How are you doing with that?

I imagine, since you don't understand what the commandments are telling you, you think you are doing really swell.

(I was just going to say well but swell is more fun to say and it kind of conveys a bit of sarcasm that is intended as well)

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
Matthew 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Romans 7:6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

Hebrews 7:18-19
18 For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof.
19 For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God.

2 Corinthians 3:6-9
6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.
7 But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
8 How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?
9 For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.

How is it that you don't understand the scriptures? This is what God has said. This is what He has proclaimed.

Galatians 3:2-3
2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

The law was given to stubborn, stupid, arrogant people who thought they could obey what God says to do. Those people didn't want to hear from God they only wanted to hear Moses.

Some of us have looked to the law and have heard what it was saying to do. We tried and continuously failed to obey it. So we came to Christ and asked for His Help. That is when we received Rest. That is when we were delivered from the law. That is when we began in the Ministration of Righteousness and left the ministration of death and condemnation behind.

But you will attempt to tell Christians to go back to that ministration of death and condemnation as if a continual curse, death and condemnation is Gods perpetual plan for all people. But its not. That is over.

The Lord Jesus Christ gives us rest from that.

I don't know how many scriptures have to be posted for the light to come on and understanding to finally dawn.
Here is Jesus on the law.

Matthew 5 AMPC
17 Do not think that I have come to do away with or undo the Law or the Prophets; I have come not to do away with or undo but to complete and fulfill them.
18 For truly I tell you, until the sky and earth pass away and perish, not one smallest letter nor one little hook [identifying certain Hebrew letters] will pass from the Law until all things [it foreshadows] are accomplished.
19 Whoever then breaks or does away with or relaxes one of the least [important] of these commandments and teaches men so shall be called least [important] in the kingdom of heaven, but he who practices them and teaches others to do so shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

In addition to the 10 commandments there are the laws scattered through the Torah.

List of the 613 laws in the Torah
http://www.gods-word-first.org/bible-study/613commandments.html

Discussion about the 613 laws in the Torah
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/613_commandments

YDo

Dec 9, 2018
Before... until... until... Now...

Galatians 3:23-25
Before the coming of this faith, we were held in custody under the law, locked up until the faith that was to come would be revealed. 24 So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith. 25 Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Before the coming of this faith, we were held in custody under the law,
locked up until the faith that was to come would be revealed.
So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith.
Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian.

When was the law put aside?
Take your pick. See the list of evidence below.

Question: When was the law put aside?

Answer:

- The law was put aside when John the Baptist arrived.

- The law was put aside when Christ arrived.

- The law was put aside at the Baptism of Christ.

- The law was put aside in the Sermon on the Mount.

- The law was put aside when Jesus was challenged by the religious leaders.

- The law was put aside when Jesus challenged the religious leaders.

- The law was put aside when God directed Jesus to do the work of healing on the Sabbath.

- The law was put aside when Jesus spoke to the Rich Young Ruler.

- The law was put aside at the Transfiguration of Christ.

- The law was put aside at the Death of Christ.

- The law was put aside at the Resurrection of Christ.

- The law was put aside on the road to Damascus.

- The law was put aside when Jesus commanded, or condoned acts of Sabbath-breaking.
I realized Jesus was teaching the Jews when he was delivering his ministry in ancient Palestine.
They would know the laws and what was what being raised to obey them.
I think they would also know those teachings concerning the promise of a messiah. When Jesus met that criteria they'd also know what of the laws no longer applied since he had fulfilled them.

But I also think if the laws of God were to have no importance whatsoever, Jesus would have taught that too. Rather than saying what he did about not one jot nor tittle would pass from the laws until all was accomplished.
He knew the sacrifice of animals to cover sins would end with his sacrifice. Meanwhile, going back to that old testament and the messiah prophecies, not all has been accomplished on that time table as yet.
That would mean those portions of the law that still apply are still in force. While Jesus showed as pertained to the Sabbath that it wasn't he that forbid work on that day. He did this by working miracles on that day.

The book of Mark is where we see the ministry of Jesus begin. I think Mark 7 is pretty clear about the law as Jesus intended it to be recognized.

YDo

Dec 9, 2018
Matthew 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

How are you doing with that?

I imagine, since you don't understand what the commandments are telling you, you think you are doing really swell.

(I was just going to say well but swell is more fun to say and it kind of conveys a bit of sarcasm that is intended as well)
I don't think the word perfect means in the Bible what we believe it means now.
If we are expected to be perfect as those redeemed in Christ I don't think Christ would have said our sins are put under his blood when we do screw up. Rather than have them counted against us as they were before redemption.
We wouldn't be able to commit any wrong if we could work our way to being perfect. There would be no need to talk about what happens to our imperfect behaviors once we're redeemed, if perfection was achievable through practice.

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018
I realized Jesus was teaching the Jews when he was delivering his ministry in ancient Palestine.
They would know the laws and what was what being raised to obey them.
I think they would also know those teachings concerning the promise of a messiah. When Jesus met that criteria they'd also know what of the laws no longer applied since he had fulfilled them.

But I also think if the laws of God were to have no importance whatsoever, Jesus would have taught that too. Rather than saying what he did about not one jot nor tittle would pass from the laws until all was accomplished.
He knew the sacrifice of animals to cover sins would end with his sacrifice. Meanwhile, going back to that old testament and the messiah prophecies, not all has been accomplished on that time table as yet.
That would mean those portions of the law that still apply are still in force. While Jesus showed as pertained to the Sabbath that it wasn't he that forbid work on that day. He did this by working miracles on that day.

The book of Mark is where we see the ministry of Jesus begin. I think Mark 7 is pretty clear about the law as Jesus intended it to be recognized.
Are you familiar with the explanation Jesus gave of Matthew 5:17 after his resurrection?
(notice that in both cases the words "Law" and "Prophets" are capitalized, indicating book titles)

Luke 24:44
He said to them, “This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms.”

Matthew 5:17
“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
Before... until... until... Now...

Galatians 3:23-25
Before the coming of this faith, we were held in custody under the law, locked up until the faith that was to come would be revealed. 24 So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith. 25 Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Before the coming of this faith, we were held in custody under the law,
locked up until the faith that was to come would be revealed.
So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith.
Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian.

When was the law put aside?
Take your pick. See the list of evidence below.

Question: When was the law put aside?

Answer:

- The law was put aside when John the Baptist arrived.

- The law was put aside when Christ arrived.

- The law was put aside at the Baptism of Christ.

- The law was put aside in the Sermon on the Mount.

- The law was put aside when Jesus was challenged by the religious leaders.

- The law was put aside when Jesus challenged the religious leaders.

- The law was put aside when God directed Jesus to do the work of healing on the Sabbath.

- The law was put aside when Jesus spoke to the Rich Young Ruler.

- The law was put aside at the Transfiguration of Christ.

- The law was put aside at the Death of Christ.

- The law was put aside at the Resurrection of Christ.

- The law was put aside on the road to Damascus.

- The law was put aside when Jesus commanded, or condoned acts of Sabbath-breaking.
No the law has not been put aside. Read on for the HOWEVER.

Matthew 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
(NOTE: ALL will not be fulfilled until after the White Throne judgement)

HOWEVER, for the believer, the administration of the law has changed.

Scripture is clear, the Mosaic laws were given to the: house of Jacob/children of Israel Ex 19:1-3.

God gives Moses the commandments for a specific called out people = The Nation of Israel. Ex 20:1-17.

The Mosaic law demanded righteousness via works, Deut 28:15-68

Knowing flesh & blood man can't live sinlessly. God establishes the priestly sin sacrificial system.

Animal sacrifice only covered sin & could/did not forgive/pardon sin (Heb 10:4). Nor bring reconciliation between God & the sinner. Nor did they clean or purify the conscience of sins guilt.

The administration of the Mosaic law covenant changes. At the resurrection of Jesus the Christ

Matt 27:50 Jesus dies, verse 51 behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;
(NOTE: Old sin sacrificial system ended right here)

The resurrection is God's receipt, Christ's redemptive sin atoning sacrifice was accepted. Jesus is now a Great High Priest after the order of Melchisedec Heb 5-6-7. Christ is sin's advocate between man & God.

Believers sins are imputed onto Christ Rom 4:3,6,8,11,23,24, washed away Rev 1:5, removed as far as east is from west Ps 103:12.

Righteousness without the law has been obtained thur the "FAITH OF CHRIST" Rom 3:22, Gal 2:16, Gal 2:20

Rom 5:19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.
(NOTE: By One Man's OBEDIENCE, now ours)

Christ's FAITHFUL, OBEDIENT, SINLESS, FINISHED redemptive work is what changes how the law is administered to a believer.

Christ who knew no sin, became sin 2 Cor 5:21 & when we place our faith in his finished redemptive work. We become the righteousness of God in/thru him 2 Cor 5:21.

Grace supplies righteousness thru faith.

Not only is Christ our advocate he is out final judge

Verdict: NOT GUILTY - FULL PARDON

We can now freely enter God’s presence and offer our "sacrifice's of praise & thanks giving" Heb 13:15, 9:11-28, 4:14-5:10. Thank you Lord Jesus. Amen & amen

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Creeds prove NOTHING. Early fathers writings prove NOTHING. Know-nothing Denominational preachers teach stolen unobtainable Jewish doctrine to unsuspecting Gentile sheep. Nothing they say proves anything. The Bible is the ONLY source of Truth, but ONLY if it's Rightly Divided. The truth for Gentiles in the Bible tells us to weed out ALL the Israel baggage. You guys teach exactly the opposite and are therefore false teachers. Your anti-Christian Judaizing doctrine is dangerous, because Christian newbies can easily buy into your false teachings and miss out on Heaven. You are the ones preaching a FAKE Gospel.
What was the only source of Truth before the bible was compiled into one book broken down by OT, NT, chapters and verses?

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I really don't care what Christ said about the Law and the prophets, since Christ's ministry was TOTALLY to Israel, Mt 15:24. Nothing Christ preached was TO or ABOUT anyone living today. The ONLY books written TO us or ABOUT us today are Paul's 7 books written AFTER Acts. Everything in those books was a Mystery HID in God since the world began, 1000s of years before Abraham. Therefore, it is impossible that any part of the OT, Gospels, or Acts applies directly to us Gentiles, as pertaining to out Hope, Calling, rules, or future. This Hebrew Roots thing sounds like another group of Judaizers, like those in Galatians, trying to take away the freedom that we have under Pure Grace.
In other words, you are saying that you a a judaizer. That's OK, I used to be a Catholic.