C
Chapel
Guest
I feel no joy in typing this. I will probably be banned from the site after this.
As a believer in God, in Jesus Christ, and the wisdom of the Bible; I really have some things that have been eating at me regarding our beliefs. I have tried to sit and talk with people of faith about theses things, but each person...like a record...like a brainwashed soldier...completely dismiss my words and babble the same phrases and Bible verses that I have heard over and over since I was a child.
So if you choose to read this, more importantly, if you choose to comment or answer; I ask that you please be open-minded. Even if you don't agree with the things I type here, please offer an answer...please don't be rude, condescending, or overly preachy. I have had plenty of that from "Christians" already.
***
I will be going back to church for the first time in a long time tomorrow. I have been pretty beaten down by life, and have lost a great deal of faith and joy; it will be odd to sit in the pews and listen to words I no longer believe. But I still realize that if I am to have peace in this life or the next, I really need to reconnect with God.
***
These feelings started actually a long time ago. A minister pointed at me after I had confessed some sins and said "how could YOU do this to our Lord?! After all our savior have given, how could YOU betray Him like this? How could YOU?!"
I sat back feeling a mixture of confusion, guilt, and anger. She then went into the usual sermon about how Christ had died for us and cleansed us of OUR sins, and how the world was such a bad place because of OUR deeds and OUR disobedience.
She, like every other Christian, spoke of how God had created all, had all knowledge, and all power...until...I ask questions about the negative aspects of the world and life. Then suddenly the story changed from "God has all power" to "well...Satan has been given dominion over this world" or "well...man has free will and chooses to do wrong."
These are the same things that every Christian I've spoken to has used as justification of our sinful nature. Also, blame is passed to Adam and Eve for their disobedience to God in the Garden of Eden.
I don't understand how a being (our God), who created ALL, has ALL knowledge, and ALL power...is believed to have absolutely no hand in the condition of our world. All that is good, He is given credit for, all that is bad...is everyone else's fault. Man has not the power to create sin, the angels (Satan included) do not have the power to create sin! The one and only being in all of creation who actually has the power to create sin...is the one being held totally blameless!
Genesis 3 describes the fall of man. In verse 5, when Satan is convincing Eve to eat of the forbidden fruit he states: "You will not surely die; for God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."
There was obviously more to being like God than having the knowledge of good and evil.
The thing is that there is no time frame given as to when Adam and Eve disobeyed God. It could have been weeks, months, years, decades, HUNDREDS of years...but what is made clear is that up until that point where they ate of the fruit, becoming "like God"; the world was a more tranquil place. Only after they became more "like God" did all of the negative aspects of our nature began to pour into the world.
Did God not know BEFORE He created Adam EXACTLY what Adam would do? He knew before creating that...very pointless tree...what the effects if it would be. But He created it anyway. So, God was not "testing" Adam, He did not "want to see if Adam would be obedient"...because He already knew what the outcome would be. He knew in advance Adam would disobey. He is God after all...to say that He didn't know would be a contradiction to what the Bible tells us.
People seem to think that "God is good ALL the time"; that His every action is out of love and the betterment of mankind. All you have to do is read through the Old Testament to see that this perception of God is very untrue; most of His actions (some pretty darn sadistic) were done solely so that He could be glorified.
I am NOT a God hater...okay. But it seems that while far more advance, God is OUR prototype. Just as humans are capable of commuting tremendous acts of love and goodness, at the exact same time we are capable of committing horrific acts of cruelty. While there is light in us, we all have a darkness that we hide from most others, we all have secrets. All of our feelings and emotions...good and bad...where do you think they came from? Satan? No.
The point of me typing this is not to place any sort of blame on God or demonize Him. Really it isn't. But I am just...beat down...really tired of people pointing the finger at mankind and talking about how bad, evil, and sinful we are. Even the best of us have some sort darkness within...and we did not CHOOSE to be this way.
***
Thank you for taking the time to read. I am really, really sorry if some of this is offensive; but it is really on my mind. If I am wrong, I would greatly appreciate some clarification on this subject matter.
As a believer in God, in Jesus Christ, and the wisdom of the Bible; I really have some things that have been eating at me regarding our beliefs. I have tried to sit and talk with people of faith about theses things, but each person...like a record...like a brainwashed soldier...completely dismiss my words and babble the same phrases and Bible verses that I have heard over and over since I was a child.
So if you choose to read this, more importantly, if you choose to comment or answer; I ask that you please be open-minded. Even if you don't agree with the things I type here, please offer an answer...please don't be rude, condescending, or overly preachy. I have had plenty of that from "Christians" already.
***
I will be going back to church for the first time in a long time tomorrow. I have been pretty beaten down by life, and have lost a great deal of faith and joy; it will be odd to sit in the pews and listen to words I no longer believe. But I still realize that if I am to have peace in this life or the next, I really need to reconnect with God.
***
These feelings started actually a long time ago. A minister pointed at me after I had confessed some sins and said "how could YOU do this to our Lord?! After all our savior have given, how could YOU betray Him like this? How could YOU?!"
I sat back feeling a mixture of confusion, guilt, and anger. She then went into the usual sermon about how Christ had died for us and cleansed us of OUR sins, and how the world was such a bad place because of OUR deeds and OUR disobedience.
She, like every other Christian, spoke of how God had created all, had all knowledge, and all power...until...I ask questions about the negative aspects of the world and life. Then suddenly the story changed from "God has all power" to "well...Satan has been given dominion over this world" or "well...man has free will and chooses to do wrong."
These are the same things that every Christian I've spoken to has used as justification of our sinful nature. Also, blame is passed to Adam and Eve for their disobedience to God in the Garden of Eden.
I don't understand how a being (our God), who created ALL, has ALL knowledge, and ALL power...is believed to have absolutely no hand in the condition of our world. All that is good, He is given credit for, all that is bad...is everyone else's fault. Man has not the power to create sin, the angels (Satan included) do not have the power to create sin! The one and only being in all of creation who actually has the power to create sin...is the one being held totally blameless!
Genesis 3 describes the fall of man. In verse 5, when Satan is convincing Eve to eat of the forbidden fruit he states: "You will not surely die; for God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."
There was obviously more to being like God than having the knowledge of good and evil.
The thing is that there is no time frame given as to when Adam and Eve disobeyed God. It could have been weeks, months, years, decades, HUNDREDS of years...but what is made clear is that up until that point where they ate of the fruit, becoming "like God"; the world was a more tranquil place. Only after they became more "like God" did all of the negative aspects of our nature began to pour into the world.
Did God not know BEFORE He created Adam EXACTLY what Adam would do? He knew before creating that...very pointless tree...what the effects if it would be. But He created it anyway. So, God was not "testing" Adam, He did not "want to see if Adam would be obedient"...because He already knew what the outcome would be. He knew in advance Adam would disobey. He is God after all...to say that He didn't know would be a contradiction to what the Bible tells us.
People seem to think that "God is good ALL the time"; that His every action is out of love and the betterment of mankind. All you have to do is read through the Old Testament to see that this perception of God is very untrue; most of His actions (some pretty darn sadistic) were done solely so that He could be glorified.
I am NOT a God hater...okay. But it seems that while far more advance, God is OUR prototype. Just as humans are capable of commuting tremendous acts of love and goodness, at the exact same time we are capable of committing horrific acts of cruelty. While there is light in us, we all have a darkness that we hide from most others, we all have secrets. All of our feelings and emotions...good and bad...where do you think they came from? Satan? No.
The point of me typing this is not to place any sort of blame on God or demonize Him. Really it isn't. But I am just...beat down...really tired of people pointing the finger at mankind and talking about how bad, evil, and sinful we are. Even the best of us have some sort darkness within...and we did not CHOOSE to be this way.
***
Thank you for taking the time to read. I am really, really sorry if some of this is offensive; but it is really on my mind. If I am wrong, I would greatly appreciate some clarification on this subject matter.
