Hebrews 7:12 - Change of Priesthood/ Change of law

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Nov 16, 2019
12For when the priesthood is changed, of necessity there takes place a change of law also. - Hebrews 7:12

The law of Moses governed worship of God according to the Levitical priesthood. But now that we have a new Priesthood the law has been changed to accommodate worship according to the Priesthood of Jesus.

What are some of the ways the Bible itself says the law has changed now that the people of God have a new High Priest?

I'll start:

The worshiper goes behind the curtain in this New Covenant but was not allowed to do so under the Levitical priesthood.

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Hello @Judges1318, how about the fact that we can eat a BLT (with real bacon and mayo together on the sandwich) for lunch following our ~Sunday~ morning worship service?

~Deut

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
12For when the priesthood is changed, of necessity there takes place a change of law also. - Hebrews 7:12

The law of Moses governed worship of God according to the Levitical priesthood. But now that we have a new Priesthood the law has been changed to accommodate worship according to the Priesthood of Jesus.

What are some of the ways the Bible itself says the law has changed now that the people of God have a new High Priest?

I'll start:

The worshiper goes behind the curtain in this New Covenant but was not allowed to do so under the Levitical priesthood.
I'd suggest you're thinking to narrowly with regard to "a change of law".

Believers are no longer required to sacrifice animals.

Nov 16, 2019
Hello @Judges1318, how about the fact that we can eat a BLT (with real bacon and mayo together on the sandwich) for lunch following our ~Sunday~ morning worship service?

~Deut
The interesting thing being he declared all foods clean and unable to defile a person before the cross.

“Don’t you see that nothing that enters a person from the outside can defile them? 19For it doesn’t go into their heart but into their stomach, and then out of the body.” (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods clean.) - Mark 7:18-19

Nov 16, 2019
I'd suggest you're thinking to narrowly with regard to "a change of law".
I consider all aspects of the life of the believer to be the sum total of his worship.

Believers are no longer required to sacrifice animals.
And under this new Priesthood the blood of the sacrifice is applied internally.
That was not allowed under the old.
I think this points to how under the old system the blood of animals could not affect a change internally in a person.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
We are all made priest of the Maker of all that is nullifying the Levitical laws. Jesus, Yeshua is become our High Priest..
Our Jerusalem and eternal Israel is not with us in this age but we are become the two, nullifying the laws of the dominion called such in this age and all of its laws.
We have learned no law is valid that does not contain mercy from our Lord. This, in itself, nullifies punishment of stoning or flogging.
We know which laws make up love when read because they make up love written on our hearts, and there yet remain many.
By faith we know the Ten Commandments are not nullified for Jesus wrote them down for Moses (I say Jesus because I believe our Father.)
I could and would go on, but I have many times before, and it seems very few come to this understanding though called to understand. God bless all who are in the Messiah and all who will come to be, amen.

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
The interesting thing being he [Jesus] declared all foods clean and unable to defile a person before the cross. Mark 7:18-19
Hello again Judges1318, yes, I had forgotten that He did so (probably because I always think of Paul in reference to the dietary laws in the NT). Of course, I do not find myself in bad company here, because it seems that the Apostles themselves either forgot or failed to listen closely to the Lord's teaching concerning this .. e.g. Acts 10:9-16 (take special note of v14-15).

One thing I either didn't remember, or perhaps failed to see, is what I believe to be v15's clear statement concerning the Deity of Christ (as v15 refers to the Lord Jesus as God as it looks back in reference to the statement that He made in Mark 7:18-19 (y)(y)).

Mark 7
18 Jesus said to them, “Are you so lacking in understanding also? Do you not understand that whatever goes into the man from outside cannot defile him,
19 because it does not go into his heart, but into his stomach, and is eliminated?” (Thus He declared all foods clean.)
Acts 10
14 Peter said, “By no means, Lord, for I have never eaten anything unholy and unclean.”
15 Again a voice came to him a second time, “What God has cleansed, no longer consider unholy."

I should probably discuss the change of worship from the Sabbath Day to worship on the First Day/Sunday in a different post.

God bless you!

~Deut

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
What that means is simply that the Old Covenant has been replaced with the New Covenant. There is no tabernacle or temple on earth, neither is there a Levitical priesthood. All earthly sacrifices came to an end when Christ sacrificed Himself. The true Sanctuary is now in Heaven, and Christ is our Great High Priest in Heaven. The eternal order of Melchizedek pertains strictly to Him.

Nov 16, 2019
because it seems that the Apostles themselves either forgot or failed to listen closely to the Lord's teaching concerning this .. e.g. Acts 10:9-16 (take special note of v14-15).
Yes, Peter was very adamant about not eating unclean food but surely he was aware of Christ's pronunciation that all foods were clean. I'm sure Christ Himself did not eat unclean food and so maybe that's the reason Peter continued to do so too. And, like the Temple tax, it didn't apply to them but they paid it anyway to keep up appearances.

And in the Acts 10 passage you reference, notice the analogy of unclean food/ people. The dietary laws seem to represent the spiritual lesson of not making ourselves unclean through fellowship with unclean people (2 Corinthians 6:14-17, 1 Corinthians 7:14).

One thing I either didn't remember, or perhaps failed to see, is what I believe to be v15's clear statement concerning the Deity of Christ (as v15 refers to the Lord Jesus as God as it looks back in reference to the statement that He made in Mark 7:18-19 (y)(y)).

Mark 7 18 Jesus said to them, “Are you so lacking in understanding also? Do you not understand that whatever goes into the man from outside cannot defile him, 19 because it does not go into his heart, but into his stomach, and is eliminated?” (Thus He declared all foods clean.)Acts 10 14 Peter said, “By no means, Lord, for I have never eaten anything unholy and unclean.” 15 Again a voice came to him a second time, “What God has cleansed, no longer consider unholy."
Hmm, interesting. (y)

I should probably discuss the change of worship from the Sabbath Day to worship on the First Day/Sunday in a different post.
Yeah, probably, lol.

We could just make note of the new found freedom to not have to keep a literal Sabbath Day observance under this new High Priest and leave it at that. ;)

Nov 16, 2019
We are all made priest of the Maker of all that is nullifying the Levitical laws. Jesus, Yeshua is become our High Priest..
Our Jerusalem and eternal Israel is not with us in this age but we are become the two, nullifying the laws of the dominion called such in this age and all of its laws.
What I find interesting is Christ did not come to destroy the law of Moses but instead simply made it obsolete and not needed anymore. As @Nehemiah6 pointed out in the case of the animal sacrifices coming to an end. It isn't that Christ destroyed and violated and trampled on those laws. He simply made them unneeded, now that a much better all encompassing Sacrifice is here. There simply is no need to offer up a sacrifice for the person already made perfect through Christ. And so no debt of sacrifice remains for the person made perfect in Christ. Those laws are marked 'fulfilled and satisfied' on the believer's record in heaven, not marked broken and violated.

Reminds me of when Paul talked about the law being for the unrighteous.

Nov 16, 2019
We have learned no law is valid that does not contain mercy from our Lord. This, in itself, nullifies punishment of stoning or flogging.
Again noting that Christ did not trample on these lawful requirements but instead nullified them for the believer by taking the just, lawful punishment for sin on himself. Christ is the eye for eye the law requires. Christ took the flogging the law requires. Christ is the life for life the law demands. Christ suffered the separation from God and His people that the law demands. And so in that way He fulfilled the law, not destroyed it. He said that's what He came to do.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
What I find interesting is Christ did not come to destroy the law of Moses but instead simply made it obsolete and not needed anymore. As @Nehemiah6 pointed out in the case of the animal sacrifices coming to an end. It isn't that Christ destroyed and violated and trampled on those laws. He simply made them unneeded, now that a much better all encompassing Sacrifice is here. There simply is no need to offer up a sacrifice for the person already made perfect through Christ. And so no debt of sacrifice remains for the person made perfect in Christ. Those laws are marked 'fulfilled and satisfied' on the believer's record in heaven, not marked broken and violated.

Reminds me of when Paul talked about the law being for the unrighteous.
Jesus, Yeshua, also made many things clear about the law to the Pharisees because they missed the important three principles of faith, justice and mercy when applying them.

Something to consider always is the Twelve Apostles have there names on the twelve foundations of the New Jerusalem. Many mistakenly thing Paul is numbered among them. This is a clear warnign to be careful abouet teachign the Twelve were mistaken about anyting the Lord taught them for the Lord, Yeshua, made certain they would be expert in their teaching by the gift of the Holy Spirit.

I do read Paul's letters but I keep in mind all of th occurances of Pual and his mission on earth are related to us by Paul, himself. He may have been sent out, as is the meaning of apostle, but he is not numbered among the twelve. When readin Paul one should watch for what is from Jesuss, Yeshua, and what is from Paul.

Again, I do read Paul, but my faith will awlays be first in Jesus, and all Heas foretold of the way of the Gospel.

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA

I'll start:

A issue in Matt 5:16-18 should be resolved. Because Jesus' words are rather clear. So either we have a misunderstanding of the text in Matt. or a contradiction in Scriptures. Since neither of us believe that the Bible contradicts it self, that means that one or both of us is misunderstanding the text.

So back to what was being shared in the other thread.

Keeping in context to verse 16 in relation to the subject of us being a light that shines that men may see our good works that God be glorified Jesus says, "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled (caused to be)."

So with the light that is to shine that men may see our good works that God be glorified being the subject. Then the Law that is being mentioned is being said in context to that. That means that The good works that shine from the light that God be glorified is of the Law.

ALL has not been fulfilled and Heaven and earth have not passed. This is a fact that can not be explained away.

SO What Law shall in no wise pass till all be fulfilled and heaven and earth pass away?

Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
(Mat 5:19 KJV)

The next verse starts with whosoever therefore. The word "Therefore" assigns a reason to what was just previously stated. Which was, "Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled (caused to be)."

So with that we now have the commandments that Jesus is about to allude to being the law that is the good works that is to shine from us that is the light unto the world that man may see, that are Father God be glorified.

What commandments?

Nov 16, 2019
A issue in Matt 5:16-18 should be resolved. Because Jesus' words are rather clear. So either we have a misunderstanding of the text in Matt. or a contradiction in Scriptures. Since neither of us believe that the Bible contradicts it self, that means that one or both of us is misunderstanding the text.

So back to what was being shared in the other thread.

Keeping in context to verse 16 in relation to the subject of us being a light that shines that men may see our good works that God be glorified Jesus says, "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled (caused to be)."

So with the light that is to shine that men may see our good works that God be glorified being the subject. Then the Law that is being mentioned is being said in context to that. That means that The good works that shine from the light that God be glorified is of the Law.

ALL has not been fulfilled and Heaven and earth have not passed. This is a fact that can not be explained away.

SO What Law shall in no wise pass till all be fulfilled and heaven and earth pass away?

Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

The next verse starts with whosoever therefore. The word "Therefore" assigns a reason to what was just previously stated. Which was, "Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled (caused to be)."

So with that we now have the commandments that Jesus is about to allude to being the law that is the good works that is to shine from us that is the light unto the world that man may see, that are Father God be glorified.

What commandments?
You found it!
I'll be back later to talk.
:)

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Yes, Peter was very adamant about not eating unclean food but surely he was aware of Christ's pronunciation that all foods were clean. I'm sure Christ Himself did not eat unclean food and so maybe that's the reason Peter continued to do so too.
Acts 10 tells us that up until that point in his life, Peter had never eaten anything that was ceremonially unclean, and that he was horrified at even thought of doing so. So it seems clear (for himself at least) that he believed it was wrong to do so. Why he believed that is unclear (considering the Lord's teaching concerning all foods being clean), but he hardly understood everything that the Lord taught him at the moment He taught it, yes .. e.g. John 20:9.

We don't know whether Jesus ate foods that were considered ceremonially unclean by the Jews or not, but considering what He taught us, He could not have believed that it was wrong to do so (in and of itself anyway), like Peter clearly did.

The dietary laws seem to represent the spiritual lesson of not making ourselves unclean through fellowship with unclean people (2 Corinthians 6:14-17, 1 Corinthians 7:14).
I've never heard that analogy concerning the dietary laws, so I will need to look into it before I comment.

As for not having fellowship with unclean people (I assume by "unclean people" that you mean non-Christians, yes?), the Pharisees rebuked Jesus for doing that very thing, but that didn't stop Him from continuing to do so (or from commanding us to follow in His footsteps .. e.g. Matthew 28:19; Mark 16:15; Acts 1:8). Being "bound" or "yoked" together with unbelievers, e.g. in business or in marriage, is something that is quite different from associating with/fellowshipping with them, is it not :unsure:

We could just make note of the new found freedom to not have to keep a literal Sabbath Day observance under this new High Priest and leave it at that.;)
All things considered, I believe that is a very wise and prudent proposition ;), so I agree completely (y)(y)

~Deut

Spurgeon quote-if-sinners-be-damned-at-least-let-them-leap-to-hell-over-our-bodies-if-they-wil...jpg

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
We don't know whether Jesus ate foods that were considered ceremonially unclean by the Jews or not...
Jesus of Nazareth was totally under the Law. Therefore He would have refused to eat anything which was ceremonially unclean. But He did anticipate the setting aside of the dietary laws after His finished work of redemption. Christ upheld the Law so that He might also fulfil the Law.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
The interesting thing being he declared all foods clean and unable to defile a person before the cross.

“Don’t you see that nothing that enters a person from the outside can defile them? 19For it doesn’t go into their heart but into their stomach, and then out of the body.” (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods clean.) - Mark 7:18-19
God did not ask people to keep their diet to food from animals not designed to eat garbage, but to refrain from those foods as a message from God to keep dirty things from their hearts and minds, and after God found people obeyed the food order and ignored the message He took the food order away from all people. The food did not dirty and food cleanliness did not keep the soul clean. The importance was always in the message, and the Holy Spirit gives us that message today.

Nov 16, 2019

What commandments?
Even if we limit the law that Christ is talking about to the context of Matthew 5, 6, & 7 we have this:

38“You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ h 39But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also." - Matthew 5:38-39

Jesus, in anticipation of the fulfillment that must occur before a jot or a tittle could pass from the law teaches us to not obey Leviticus 24:19-20 when we have been wronged:

19Anyone who injures their neighbor is to be injured in the same manner: 20fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth. The one who has inflicted the injury must suffer the same injury." - Leviticus 24:19-20

We can't deny that's more than just a jot or tittle of the law passing from the law. So we know the fulfillment that must occur before that can happen has occurred. And I suggest the fulfillment that occurred is the coming of Christ and his death and resurrection. He is the eye for eye, tooth for tooth penalty that the law demands. And so this is an example of where the demands of the law are met by Christ so that we are released from those demands. In his wisdom, God made a way through Christ to allow a passing away of the law, releasing us from that law, without violating that law.

"Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God"- 1 Corinthians 1:30

Nov 16, 2019
Christ upheld the Law so that He might also fulfil the Law.
Yes, when a law is fulfilled and remains fulfilled there is no further fulfillment necessary. That's exactly how and why the people of God have been released from the law. But there is one requirement of the law that does not remain fulfilled...

"8Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for whoever loves others has fulfilled the law." - Romans 13:8