Help with repentance.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

inukubo

Jun 27, 2019
It sounds like the problem is that you are "trying." As the great Jedi master Yoda said, "Do. Or do not. There is no try." Do not give yourself the option of thinking these thoughts. Shut them down immediately.

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
It sounds like the problem is that you are "trying." As the great Jedi master Yoda said, "Do. Or do not. There is no try." Do not give yourself the option of thinking these thoughts. Shut them down immediately.
Are you able to give us a couple of examples of how that's worked for you?

inukubo

Jun 27, 2019
No sir. I was responding to the person who wrote about the Jedi thing.
Like anything else, you have to nip it in the bud. Pay attention to your thoughts and notice them when they are small so that they are easier to squash. One problem is that most people do not notice their thoughts until they have overtaken their minds and by then it is too late, but it's a spiritual discipline that takes practice.

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
Like anything else, you have to nip it in the bud. Pay attention to your thoughts and notice them when they are small so that they are easier to squash. One problem is that most people do not notice their thoughts until they have overtaken their minds and by then it is too late, but it's a spiritual discipline that takes practice.
I hear you. I was wondering if you might offer a couple of real-life examples of how you have managed to do this in your own, personal life.

R

RaceBoy

Also whenever I'm feeling unhappy/bored I tend to masturbate/lust to feel pleasure and make myself feel better. Works almost every time, but it's another reason why I masturbate.

I feel like masturbating now but I'm trying not to.

R

RaceBoy

Also whenever I'm feeling unhappy/bored I tend to masturbate/lust to feel pleasure and make myself feel better. Works almost every time, but it's another reason why I masturbate.

I feel like masturbating now but I'm trying not to.
Ok so I didn't masturbate. Gotta keep going.

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
Ok so I didn't masturbate. Gotta keep going.
Alright, so the above poster didn't want to give us a couple of personal examples, but there is Truth to their point. I recommend that you try to avoid dwelling on this issue. The fact that you posted this issue is placing focus and emphasis on the "problem." But, you've got to move on.

If you do not feel that your heart has been cleansed of the Sinful Nature, pray that Christ would do this for you. Memorize Colossians 2:9-15.

Move onward in life. If you have received the Circumcision of Christ, then you are considered Righteous, Holy, and Pure and are in a Right relationship with the Lord. Again, move onward, even when you do sin. Once a person has received the Circumcision of Christ, it is time to stop feeling unhealthy fear, shame, and guilt. For, this is the purpose of Christ . . . to cut away the Sinful Nature so that unbalanced fear, shame, and guilt would be abolished.

I am not absolutely perfect, and although I sin only at minimal levels, I do not feel unbalanced fear, shame, and guilt. I have been purified, thus to feel those emotions that the Devil wants us to feel . . . I refuse to do so. I do not play that game anylonger and neither should you.

Colossians 2:9-15!!!!!!! ;)

R

RaceBoy

Alright, so the above poster didn't want to give us a couple of personal examples, but there is Truth to their point. I recommend that you try to avoid dwelling on this issue. The fact that you posted this issue is placing focus and emphasis on the "problem." But, you've got to move on.

If you do not feel that your heart has been cleansed of the Sinful Nature, pray that Christ would do this for you. Memorize Colossians 2:9-15.

Move onward in life. If you have received the Circumcision of Christ, then you are considered Righteous, Holy, and Pure and are in a Right relationship with the Lord. Again, move onward, even when you do sin. Once a person has received the Circumcision of Christ, it is time to stop feeling unhealthy fear, shame, and guilt. For, this is the purpose of Christ . . . to cut away the Sinful Nature so that unbalanced fear, shame, and guilt would be abolished.

I am not absolutely perfect, and although I sin only at minimal levels, I do not feel unbalanced fear, shame, and guilt. I have been purified, thus to feel those emotions that the Devil wants us to feel . . . I refuse to do so. I do not play that game anylonger and neither should you.

Colossians 2:9-15!!!!!!! ;)
On second thought I did masturbate. Now I have to start over again. But ok I can try to pray for a better "heart" and mind so I can move on.

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
On second thought I did masturbate. Now I have to start over again. But ok I can try to pray for a better "heart" and mind so I can move on.
Not a better heart, a Circumcised Heart. This is the "heart" of the Gospel. To be a True Christian, we've got to understand the actual Gospel, which is a Gospel that the lousy modern-day church refuses to teach. And you wonder why you're struggling? It's because no one has taught you, nor anyone else, the True Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Colossians 2:9-15!!! ;)

R

RaceBoy

Not a better heart, a Circumcised Heart. This is the "heart" of the Gospel. To be a True Christian, we've got to understand the actual Gospel, which is a Gospel that the lousy modern-day church refuses to teach. And you wonder why you're struggling? It's because no one has taught you, nor anyone else, the True Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Colossians 2:9-15!!! ;)
Well my mom raised me to be a Christian.

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
Well my mom raised me to be a Christian.
Mine did too, but the still know nothing about the actual Gospel of Jesus . . . and the very center, or heart of it, is the Doctrine of Spiritual Circumcision. We may refer to ourselves as "christians," but the name alone means nothing. Consider what Paul taught about what it means to be "right with God." Below, he was teaching to the Jews, but this passage applies to all just as the Promises given to Abraham in Genesis chapter 17 are applicable to both Jew and Gentile.

Romans 2:29 NLT - "No, a true Jew is one whose heart is right with God. And true circumcision is not merely obeying the letter of the law; rather, it is a change of heart produced by God's Spirit. And a person with a changed heart seeks praise from God, not from people."

This is pointing directly to Colossians 2:9-15, just as I have been stating. And yes, here in Romans it says that the Spirit Circumcises our hearts. And yes, Colossians 2:11 & 13 state that Christ circumcises our hearts. And yes, Deuteronomy states that God Circumcises our hearts:

Deuteronomy 30:6 NKJV - 6 "And the LORD your God will circumcise your heart and the heart of your descendants, to love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul, that you may live."

Colossians 2:11 NLT - 11 "When you came to Christ, you were "circumcised," but not by a physical procedure. Christ performed a spiritual circumcision--the cutting away of your sinful nature."

When all three members of the Holy Trinity claim responsibility for Circumcision of the Heart . . . well, this means we really, really need to pay attention to this Holy and remarkable teaching.

R

RaceBoy

Mine did too, but the still know nothing about the actual Gospel of Jesus . . . and the very center, or heart of it, is the Doctrine of Spiritual Circumcision. We may refer to ourselves as "christians," but the name alone means nothing. Consider what Paul taught about what it means to be "right with God." Below, he was teaching to the Jews, but this passage applies to all just as the Promises given to Abraham in Genesis chapter 17 are applicable to both Jew and Gentile.

Romans 2:29 NLT - "No, a true Jew is one whose heart is right with God. And true circumcision is not merely obeying the letter of the law; rather, it is a change of heart produced by God's Spirit. And a person with a changed heart seeks praise from God, not from people."

This is pointing directly to Colossians 2:9-15, just as I have been stating. And yes, here in Romans it says that the Spirit Circumcises our hearts. And yes, Colossians 2:11 & 13 state that Christ circumcises our hearts. And yes, Deuteronomy states that God Circumcises our hearts:

Deuteronomy 30:6 NKJV - 6 "And the LORD your God will circumcise your heart and the heart of your descendants, to love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul, that you may live."

Colossians 2:11 NLT - 11 "When you came to Christ, you were "circumcised," but not by a physical procedure. Christ performed a spiritual circumcision--the cutting away of your sinful nature."

When all three members of the Holy Trinity claim responsibility for Circumcision of the Heart . . . well, this means we really, really need to pay attention to this Holy and remarkable teaching.
So what should i pray for ?

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
Study Colossians 2:9-15 below. They will give you months of rich food to consume. They are the birthing points of Understanding, Knowledge, and Wisdom.

This would be my prayer:

"Dear Heavenly, Powerful, Almighty God, I want your Spiritual Circumcision more than anything. I have now come to understand that the Circumcision of Christ is the single most important thing that I should know, understand, seek, and have. I need to be Circumcised of the Sinful Nature, the Curse of the Lord, so that the Veil might be lifted. Please Lord, I beg of you to lift the Veil that causes blindness so that I cannot see. Please Lord, Please lift this Veil so that I can finally Believe property, Submit to you wholly, Obey consistently, become Confident as your Holy son, and eventually Share your Holy Word. Please dear God . . . Please lift this cloud of darkness that has consumed my life and set me free! I pray this prayer in the Name of your Powerful, Almighty Son, Jesus Christ."

Colossians 2:9-15 NLT - "For in Christ lives all the fullness of God in a human body. 10 So you also are complete through your union with Christ, who is the head over every ruler and authority. 11 When you came to Christ, you were "circumcised," but not by a physical procedure. Christ performed a spiritual circumcision--the cutting away of your sinful nature. 12 For you were buried with Christ when you were baptized. And with him you were raised to new life because you trusted the mighty power of God, who raised Christ from the dead. 13 You were dead because of your sins and because your sinful nature was not yet cut away. Then God made you alive with Christ, for he forgave all our sins. 14 He canceled the record of the charges against us and took it away by nailing it to the cross. 15 In this way, he disarmed the spiritual rulers and authorities. He shamed them publicly by his victory over them on the cross."

The first highlight is . . . "You are complete." The rest of the passage set above explains why you are complete through and by the Circumcision of Christ. It is this exact Circumcision that qualified Abraham as Pure, Righteous, and Holy. No one can be these things if the Curse of the Lord has not been cut out and away. No one can be Holy if they are not Redeemed of this problem. Thus, this is the Purpose of Christ!

Galatians 3:13 NLT - "But Christ has rescued us from the curse pronounced by the law. When he was hung on the cross, he took upon himself the curse for our wrongdoing. For it is written in the Scriptures, "Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree."

Make no mistake about it, Jesus was lifting the Curse from the hearts of men and women long before He became flesh and lived. It was upon the cross where He took those Curses to the grave . . . burying them forever. Also. the NLT translation is the only translation that got this passage right. So, if you use a different Bible translation, it will tell you that Jesus redeemed us from the Curse of the Law . . . but that is total nonsense, for Love they Neighbor is not a Curse. Thou shalt not murder is not a Curse. Good grief . . . how "they" got this wrong is mind-boggling.

My friend, you must make this prayer every day of your life until you are confident that Jesus has actually Circumcised your heart. This is the only way to become a "new man" as Paul describes it.

Learn about this Circumcision. Make it the single most important thing that you do in this life. Nothing else matters in comparison, for without Circumcision of the heart . . . Hell awaits.

I believe in you. I do!

EternalFire

Jan 3, 2019
I am saddened that the devil has taken you captive to do what he desires. I pray that God will grant you repentance to escape that trap (2 Timothy 2:25-26).

Below is a video on repentance to help you start understanding the topic more fully. One quote from it (around 44 mins. and 56 secs. into the video) that I encourage you to meditate upon—especially when inappropriate sexual thoughts enter your mind—will reveal whether or not you are serious about repenting: “Repentance is being sorry enough to stop.”

In other words, if you are truly sorry about sinning, then you will make the changes necessary for the sin to never occur again! When you fear God more than you enjoy the fleeting pleasures of sin (Hebrews 11:24-25), you will conquer what is destroying you.

R

RaceBoy

I am saddened that the devil has taken you captive to do what he desires. I pray that God will grant you repentance to escape that trap (2 Timothy 2:25-26).

Below is a video on repentance to help you start understanding the topic more fully. One quote from it (around 44 mins. and 56 secs. into the video) that I encourage you to meditate upon—especially when inappropriate sexual thoughts enter your mind—will reveal whether or not you are serious about repenting: “Repentance is being sorry enough to stop.”

In other words, if you are truly sorry about sinning, then you will make the changes necessary for the sin to never occur again! When you fear God more than you enjoy the fleeting pleasures of sin (Hebrews 11:24-25), you will conquer what is destroying you.

Honestly that's another problem I have. I'm kinda depending upon Jesus so I don't really think/worry about sinning (in this area) that much. That plus the fact that we aren't in the end times yet makes me believe I have plenty time to repent.
With that being said, I know I have to stop. And I'am taking steps to reduce sexual sin by changing the way I think (still struggle though) and limiting masturbating (working pretty decently although I still go back to it occasionally).

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
Honestly that's another problem I have. I'm kinda depending upon Jesus so I don't really think/worry about sinning (in this area) that much. That plus the fact that we aren't in the end times yet makes me believe I have plenty time to repent.
There are four things that Jesus does. They are:

1) Circumcises the Heart
2) Grants the Ability to Repent
3) Sends the Gift of the Holy Spirit
4) Paid the debt for our sin (to make us Right with God)

So, another thing to add to your prayer list is that Jesus would give you the ability to turn and repent.

FaithMan

Mar 26, 2014
Study Colossians 2:9-15 below. They will give you months of rich food to consume. They are the birthing points of Understanding, Knowledge, and Wisdom.

This would be my prayer:

"Dear Heavenly, Powerful, Almighty God, I want your Spiritual Circumcision more than anything. I have now come to understand that the Circumcision of Christ is the single most important thing that I should know, understand, seek, and have. I need to be Circumcised of the Sinful Nature, the Curse of the Lord, so that the Veil might be lifted. Please Lord, I beg of you to lift the Veil that causes blindness so that I cannot see. Please Lord, Please lift this Veil so that I can finally Believe property, Submit to you wholly, Obey consistently, become Confident as your Holy son, and eventually Share your Holy Word. Please dear God . . . Please lift this cloud of darkness that has consumed my life and set me free! I pray this prayer in the Name of your Powerful, Almighty Son, Jesus Christ."

Colossians 2:9-15 NLT - "For in Christ lives all the fullness of God in a human body. 10 So you also are complete through your union with Christ, who is the head over every ruler and authority. 11 When you came to Christ, you were "circumcised," but not by a physical procedure. Christ performed a spiritual circumcision--the cutting away of your sinful nature. 12 For you were buried with Christ when you were baptized. And with him you were raised to new life because you trusted the mighty power of God, who raised Christ from the dead. 13 You were dead because of your sins and because your sinful nature was not yet cut away. Then God made you alive with Christ, for he forgave all our sins. 14 He canceled the record of the charges against us and took it away by nailing it to the cross. 15 In this way, he disarmed the spiritual rulers and authorities. He shamed them publicly by his victory over them on the cross."

The first highlight is . . . "You are complete." The rest of the passage set above explains why you are complete through and by the Circumcision of Christ. It is this exact Circumcision that qualified Abraham as Pure, Righteous, and Holy. No one can be these things if the Curse of the Lord has not been cut out and away. No one can be Holy if they are not Redeemed of this problem. Thus, this is the Purpose of Christ!

Galatians 3:13 NLT - "But Christ has rescued us from the curse pronounced by the law. When he was hung on the cross, he took upon himself the curse for our wrongdoing. For it is written in the Scriptures, "Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree."

Make no mistake about it, Jesus was lifting the Curse from the hearts of men and women long before He became flesh and lived. It was upon the cross where He took those Curses to the grave . . . burying them forever. Also. the NLT translation is the only translation that got this passage right. So, if you use a different Bible translation, it will tell you that Jesus redeemed us from the Curse of the Law . . . but that is total nonsense, for Love they Neighbor is not a Curse. Thou shalt not murder is not a Curse. Good grief . . . how "they" got this wrong is mind-boggling.

My friend, you must make this prayer every day of your life until you are confident that Jesus has actually Circumcised your heart. This is the only way to become a "new man" as Paul describes it.

Learn about this Circumcision. Make it the single most important thing that you do in this life. Nothing else matters in comparison, for without Circumcision of the heart . . . Hell awaits.

I believe in you. I do!
Classic confusion of categories. The curse of the Law is our inability to obey it therefore we are cursed. If, as you claim, curses were buried and gone? Why three verses earlier, Galatians 3:10, did Paul discuss the curse in the present tense?

Have you bothered reading Deuteronomy 28? It is quite clear that if we disobey the Law, a curse well result. The curse is not buried, we are buried in Christ having died to the Law. I would suggest looking at these passages a little more carefully.

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
Classic confusion of categories. The curse of the Law is our inability to obey it therefore we are cursed. If, as you claim, curses were buried and gone? Why three verses earlier, Galatians 3:10, did Paul discuss the curse in the present tense?

Have you bothered reading Deuteronomy 28? It is quite clear that if we disobey the Law, a curse well result. The curse is not buried, we are buried in Christ having died to the Law. I would suggest looking at these passages a little more carefully.
Yeah, so . . . your confusion of the Scriptures isn't my issue. Second, I'm not here to enter into childish debate with you nor anyone else. I am here to help someone who asked for it.