Hey: Do I look like a Christian !?!!?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Reborn

Nov 16, 2014
I once asked a fellow Christian why he looked sad a lot of the time? His answer : "Do you expect me to beaming with joy, walking around with a smile....you can't expect all Christians to look like they follow Christ!" Wow. It got me thinking- how IS a Christian expected to carry him/herself? Do we have to dress in suits or dressy clothes? Do we have to walk around grinning ear to ear all of the time? Are others around us, suppose to automatically assume we follow Christ instantly once we waltz into a room? Or maybe we should have T shirts they say "I'm Saved, why aren't you?" You see, I DO believe we are expected to show we follow Christ in one way or another.

Matthew 7:16[TABLE="class: maintable3, width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD]
[TABLE="align: center"]
[TR]
[TD]"By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?"

In reference to false prophets the Lord gives us a visual comparison.
Is this a reference to how we can recognize a Christian by something outwardly...surely "fruit" doesn't grow on the inside of a tree?

I believe it's how we present ourselves--not the package itself.​

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

E

ELECT

I once asked a fellow Christian why he looked sad a lot of the time? His answer : "Do you expect me to beaming with joy, walking around with a smile....you can't expect all Christians to look like they follow Christ!" Wow. It got me thinking- how IS a Christian expected to carry him/herself? Do we have to dress in suits or dressy clothes? Do we have to walk around grinning ear to ear all of the time? Are others around us, suppose to automatically assume we follow Christ instantly once we waltz into a room? Or maybe we should have T shirts they say "I'm Saved, why aren't you?" You see, I DO believe we are expected to show we follow Christ in one way or another.

Matthew 7:16[TABLE="class: maintable3, width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD]
[TABLE="align: center"]
[TR]
[TD]"By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?"

In reference to false prophets the Lord gives us a visual comparison.
Is this a reference to how we can recognize a Christian by something outwardly...surely "fruit" doesn't grow on the inside of a tree?

I believe it's how we present ourselves--not the package itself.​
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Was Jesus ever sad when He walk the earth ? does God get sad ?

T

Tintin

Jesus was known as the Man of Sorrows. I don't think it's healthy or wise to pretend to be happy 24/7. No-one can be in this present reality. That said, we should have something that non-Christians want, a hope and a joy in this life. Something that marks us as different. But that's more something of spiritual character than always wearing a suit and carrying a Bible wear ever you go. I just be myself. I share my faith with Christians and non-Christian friends. I have deep and meaningful discussions and lesser ones. I learn to be open and honest, authentic but discerning. I lend a listening ear, I encourage, challenge and pray for people. I help them out in practical ways. I say sorry when I've wronged someone and ask for their forgiveness. I just be myself. I'm no cookie-cutter Christian and I don't think we're called to be. I'm just Christian the Christian.

Last edited by a moderator:

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Was Jesus ever sad when He walk the earth ? does God get sad ?
I believe that Jesus wept once. Apparently He couldn't take the crap down here on earth either.

hoss2576

May 10, 2014
I know many who are great at wearing masks and putting on a nice smile while they are completely broken. I don't think any external thing can be a true reflection of an internal state.

CatHerder

Mar 20, 2013
I do not know what a Christian is supposed to look like, but we are to know them by their fruits - so I guess it's about our actions rather than our physical appearance.

I once saw this gal at a gas station. She was very pretty, but nothing "real" about her, her hair, her nails - all fake. She looked like Paris Hilton, but prettier. I was going to pass her off as a bubble-headed bleach blonde, but I was her bumper sticker, which said "Abortion: 1 dead, 1 wounded." We got to chatting a bit, and I learned that she was a believer and that she has many in her social circle who have had an abortion and she reaches out to them as a personal ministry. So...not at all what I expect a Christian to look like.

I'm glad our God likes variety! :D

Reborn

Nov 16, 2014
Jesus was known as the Man of Sorrows. I don't think it's healthy or wise to pretend to be happy 24/7. No-one can be in this present reality. That said, we should have something that non-Christians want, a hope and a joy in this life. Something that marks us as different. But that's more something of spiritual character than always wearing a suit and carrying a Bible wear ever you go. I just be myself. I share my faith with Christians and non-Christian friends. I have deep and meaningful discussions and lesser ones. I learn to be open and honest, authentic but discerning. I lend a listening ear, I encourage, challenge and pray for people. I help them out in practical ways. I say sorry when I've wronged someone and ask for their forgiveness. I just be myself. I'm no cookie-cutter Christian and I don't think we're called to be. I'm just Christian the Christian.
Like I said my man...in one form or another. Be well.

B

BananaPie

Well, I wouldn't know what a Christian ought to look like, but I know my sweet husband is exponentially handsome, intelligently funny, elegantly tall, wonderfully strong and robust with a manly voice and the cutest beard... ...sighs... :eek:

I'm forever thankful to God for my godly husband because he is the most adorable Moose ever created on this side of Heaven. See what I mean?

Dreamy. :D

T

Tintin

Well, I wouldn't know what a Christian ought to look like, but I know my sweet husband is exponentially handsome, intelligently funny, elegantly tall, wonderfully strong and robust with a manly voice and the cutest beard... ...sighs... :eek:

I'm forever thankful to God for my godly husband because he is the most adorable Moose ever created on this side of Heaven. See what I mean?

Dreamy. :D
Very happy for you, my dear sister, but personally I prefer tacos. ;)

B

BananaPie

ROFLOLMHO 3.141592...!!!
Oh goodness! That was funny, funny!

Yess! My dear Brother, Brisbane Tacos will always be superior to
mooseburgers, indeed. :D :D :D

A

AbbeyJoy

It's better to not to be to happy all the time people might think we are on drugs lol jk well yeah it's ok to have a bad day once in a while and that God wants us to be real and not be to high and happy all the time. Just sayin :)

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
Living in Florida I prefer tourist......

P.S. By the way Christians in Florida also look like tourists....lol

Last edited:

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
John 11: 35 -- Jesus wept.

Matthew 26:38 -- (Jesus at Gethsemane) "My soul is overwhelmed to the point of death."

God knows our every feeling and because He's felt it all too. Sometimes people know we're Christians more by the fact that we're being REAL rather than putting on our Jesus masks and telling everyone how blessed life is.

I've been looking for another prison ministry to serve but something I haven't liked about any of the ones I've checked out is that it's basically people going in to preach to the inmates. Which is wonderful in its own way. But what I mean is, there's no chance to hear from the INMATES and get to know their stories and who they are as people. I always find these kinds of ministries disheartening too because people like to show off their "Jesus Knowledge" and get the poor wretches of society saved.

When I used to have regular communication with inmates, I had a rule for myself: Never ask about their case unless THEY brought it up. During that time, I was often told, "Thank you for treating me like a human being... for being real with me." At the time I did this, I was a very broken, angry person, going through a lot in my faith. But I've always found that in being real about what I'm struggling with, others are willing to share their struggles too.

Which is a perfect opportunity to start the conversation, "I'm sorry you're going through all of this. I'm a mess too and I certainly don't have the answers. But I know of Someone who does. Maybe we can seek Him together."

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
What's that old quote... "People don't care about what you know until they know how much you care."