Holy Rollers

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
i thought 'holy rollers' referred in a general way to elderly women in church who curl their hair and tend to adopt a rather priggish pious attitude, especially towards younger women.

that and it's been the adopted name of many roller-derby groups.
You may be onto something here. Roller-derby groups in church. That will fill the pews and the coffers. Roller-derby for Jesus.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
You may be onto something here. Roller-derby groups in church. That will fill the pews and the coffers. Roller-derby for Jesus.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
like in the actual church -- stack all the folding chairs in the café against the wall and strap on the blessed elbow guards of the sanctified armor

notuptome

May 17, 2013
like in the actual church -- stack all the folding chairs in the café against the wall and strap on the blessed elbow guards of the sanctified armor
Greeting the brethren with the blessed holy forearm shiver to the head. Knock the sin from them and skate to victory for Jesus. Got all the right elements lots of blood and excitement.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
♪ if i was a derby queen, i tell you what i'd do . . . ♫

CS1

May 23, 2012
Funny, right? Holy Rollers.

Those are the stupid people who believe the Holy Spirit is the manifestation for us all
of God's Presence and authority in the form of spiritual gifts. Boy isn't that a dum notion.

Of course I have a confession. I believe this form of worship because it is a visible demonstration in assembly of our faith.

Yes, I believe the gifts are here until they are no longer necessary, such as healing and foretelling of events in our Father's will, for we will arrive to the point one day, on God's Great and Glorious Day when prophesy will have all been fulfilled and no one will need healing , not in the manner of healers today.

It is true I sometimes doubt some of the folks within the parameters of Charismatic and Pentecostal, but that is my problem not theirs.

I love people being caught up inthe Hly Spirit for I feel the Presence also, and the joy is immeasurable.

Praise our Father for people who yet believe HIS POWER AND LOVE ARE REAL AND HERE FOR US TO BE edified by. Praise God, amen, always in Jesus Christ's name...or do you prefer Yeshua...
calling people stupid and then some who suggest that they have been persecuted for there position against 'holy rollers" is a false narrative . Is calling people stupid make one more authoritative on the context ? How so? I think this thread is confrontational . You have a right to your opinion, but you do not have the right to call people stupid .

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
calling people stupid and then some who suggest that they have been persecuted for there position against 'holy rollers" is a false narrative . Is calling people stupid make one more authoritative on the context ? How so? I think this thread is confrontational . You have a right to your opinion, but you do not have the right to call people stupid .

You have not read all of the post. It points out just how ridiculous people are in judging how others worship God....... I do go into detail in the OP. You really should reread it.

CS1

May 23, 2012
You have not read all of the post. It points out just how ridiculous people are in judging how others worship God....... I do go into detail in the OP. You really should reread it.
why would I need to read any further when the very first post calls people stupid ?

1ofthem

Mar 30, 2016
I always thought it was a good to be called a Holy Roller when I was a kid. I thought it was just something that they called Christian.

Then I heard the Nazareth song and realized it was a negative name that people gave to others saying that they were acting like they were better than others or something.

I always wanted to be a Holy Roller when I was a kid because I thought it just meant someone was Holy and lived for God.

I think it is a shame how people especially Christians call each other negative names just because we don't all worship the same doesn't mean that we can't all love and respect each other.

1ofthem

Mar 30, 2016
I think this song is appropriate here.

Don't worry about what anyone says worship the way you feel led to: God knows the hearts of everyone no one else has the right to judge.

GodisONE

Jul 11, 2018
since my grandfather and his friend G.T Haywood wrote the song [I See a Crimson Stream of Blood and it Flows from Calvary - in your old hymnal song books] created the Assemblies of the Lord Jesus Christ (ONENESS) [an organization like United Pentecost/Assemblies of God]...I was raised Pentecostal my entire life. we have always been known to many others [Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterians, Lutherans, Catholics, etc…] as HOLY ROLLERS.

SO, when I saw the title of this thread, my first thought was this has to be about Pentecostals hahahahaha

1ofthem

Mar 30, 2016
since my grandfather and his friend G.T Haywood wrote the song [I See a Crimson Stream of Blood and it Flows from Calvary - in your old hymnal song books] created the Assemblies of the Lord Jesus Christ (ONENESS) [an organization like United Pentecost/Assemblies of God]...I was raised Pentecostal my entire life. we have always been known to many others [Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterians, Lutherans, Catholics, etc…] as HOLY ROLLERS.

SO, when I saw the title of this thread, my first thought was this has to be about Pentecostals hahahahaha
Yeah, Pentecostals, I'm one of them ...LOL

Mar 28, 2016
I always thought it was a good to be called a Holy Roller when I was a kid. I thought it was just something that they called Christian.

Then I heard the Nazareth song and realized it was a negative name that people gave to others saying that they were acting like they were better than others or something.

I always wanted to be a Holy Roller when I was a kid because I thought it just meant someone was Holy and lived for God.

I think it is a shame how people especially Christians call each other negative names just because we don't all worship the same doesn't mean that we can't all love and respect each other.
I thought just the opposite of the sign and wonders seekers when hearing that kind of worship. I wondered what the purpose in all that kind of drama seeing God seeks after a contrite heart ?

later I found out that they claimed it made up the whole gospel which other denominations fell short of in respect to a outward evidence of the filling of the Holy Spirit. As if we do not receive the fulness when we first beleive. Reminds me of the purgatory workers claiming God's grace according to His finished work is not sufficient unless someone does a work to fulfil the Holy Spirit.

Mar 28, 2016
Is this in reference to being “slain in Spirit”, “drunk in the Spirit”, “Holy laughter” and other such manifestations?
Drinking poison in the Spirit.

All of those are used to identify a person is being filled with the Holy Spirit . Its like one is not enough and a thousand to many .Like as good increase so do they who consume them .

Rather than walking by faith they require a sign they perform as if the kingdom of God does come by observation .

Drinking poison in the Spirit.

All of those are used to identify a person is being filled with the Holy Spirit . Its like one is not enough and a thousand to many .Like as good increase so do they who consume them .

Rather than walking by faith they require a sign they perform as if the kingdom of God does come by observation .
Yes, I find such “manifestations” entirely unBiblical and very concerning.

1ofthem

Mar 30, 2016
I thought just the opposite of the sign and wonders seekers when hearing that kind of worship. I wondered what the purpose in all that kind of drama seeing God seeks after a contrite heart ?

later I found out that they claimed it made up the whole gospel which other denominations fell short of in respect to a outward evidence of the filling of the Holy Spirit. As if we do not receive the fulness when we first beleive. Reminds me of the purgatory workers claiming God's grace according to His finished work is not sufficient unless someone does a work to fulfil the Holy Spirit.
I grew up among two denominations Baptist and Pentecostal. From what I witnessed the Pentecostals in my family where the ones who had to take the most flack, and got called names because of their beliefs in speaking in tongues.

From my experience, I never saw one of the Pentecostals telling one of the Baptist family members that they were less than them or headed to hell because they didn't speak in tongues or worship the same way. But you can believe me when I say the Pentecostals were constantly made fun of and persecuted. So I guess, I saw them as the ones having a more contrite spirit. But I am sure this is not the case all the time with all Baptist and Pentecostals, but that is why I said people should love one another and not slander and call each other negative names just because of denomination.

I grew up seeing the slandering and it is ugly and I don't think God is happy when any denomination does this kind of thing. We should all love each other and pray for each other is all I'm saying.

I grew up among two denominations Baptist and Pentecostal. From what I witnessed the Pentecostals in my family where the ones who had to take the most flack, and got called names because of their beliefs in speaking in tongues.

From my experience, I never saw one of the Pentecostals telling one of the Baptist family members that they were less than them or headed to hell because they didn't speak in tongues or worship the same way. But you can believe me when I say the Pentecostals were constantly made fun of and persecuted. So I guess, I saw them as the ones having a more contrite spirit. But I am sure this is not the case all the time with all Baptist and Pentecostals, but that is why I said people should love one another and not slander and call each other negative names just because of denomination.

I grew up seeing the slandering and it is ugly and I don't think God is happy when any denomination does this kind of thing. We should all love each other and pray for each other is all I'm saying.
It’s not about making fun of others, “persecuting” them, or “slandering” them, I wholeheartedly agree that we should not do so.

Holding to sound doctrine over ecstatic, emotional and unBiblical “manifestations” and experiences (such as barking like a dog, hissing like a snake, crawling around on the floor, losing control, spasming and thrashing, laughing uncontrollably, becoming paralyzed etc.) is not unloving.

The above are not fruits of the true Holy Spirit, Who brings self-control and does not create a spectacle that only causes pandemonium and confusion.

1ofthem

Mar 30, 2016
It’s not about making fun of others, “persecuting” them, or “slandering” them, I wholeheartedly agree that we should not do so.

Holding to sound doctrine over ecstatic, emotional and unBiblical “manifestations” and experiences (such as barking like a dog, hissing like a snake, crawling around on the floor, losing control, spasming and thrashing, laughing uncontrollably, becoming paralyzed etc.) is not unloving.

The above are not fruits of the true Holy Spirit, Who brings self-control and does not create a spectacle that only causes pandemonium and confusion.
That's why you should know more about who you are talking about and what doctrines they hold to as well. I've never been to a Pentecostal church where people were barking like dogs and doing things like that. If I did walk in to a church where that was going on then I would walk out. Knowing that it was not the Spirit of God.

Not everyone that calls themselves Pentecostal are really Pentecostal. There are many out there that do things that are not of God and not of the Spirit of God. But you can't judge all people by what some of them do.

There is a real genuine Spirit of God and there is a fake. As for the fake, it's easy to recognize, but you can't throw off on all Pentecostal because of the fact that there are some bad ones out there.