How can singles do the Lord's work?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

TheIndianGirl

What does doing the Lord's work mean for singles (I include divorced, elderly singles, widows, etc.)? It is generally agreed upon that since singles have more spare time, we should be spending more time doing the Lord's work. But, what exactly does it mean and what type of work should we be doing? Aside from the more riskier/extreme options such as being a missionary abroad, the first thing I can think of is volunteering more at church. What does it mean to you?

Marrieds can respond too, but I do not think they are expected to do the Lord's work as much as singles.

Jul 20, 2019
I seem to be set aside for a purpose, for over two years now I have been alone with the lord in prayer, meditation and spiritual guidance. I too am single. What his purpose is, I don't know as of yet. So to summarise, await on the lord, he will indicate when its time to start the mission allocated to you. "precious daughter, abide in me"

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I would not undersell the importance of parents raising Godly children, or say that couples, whether married or not, are less capable of serving the body of Christ, because there may be ministries specifically designed for such, even if one of the two does more of what obviously looks like work while the other acts more as a support person.

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
Everyone is calles for Gods work. Marriage doesnt give a free pass to only do less dangerous things. Everyone can go on mission, feed and clothe the poor, be there for the broken hearted etc

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
First, what is the Lord's work? What did Jesus do while He was on earth? He helped those around Him.

Everybody can do the Lord's work, and it doesn't take church coordination or a group of homeless people. The Lord's work is to ease the burden of those around us. Anything we do for somebody to help him is the Lord's work.

The Lord's work is that simple because we are helping somebody God loves just as much as He loves us.

When people talk about the Lord's work I'm reminded of what one man said about his mother. "When I was a kid we learned to never get too attached to a pair of pants. We might seen a neighbor's boy wearing them next week, if mom thought he needed them more than we did."

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
yea not sure whether being single or married how it is different unless you are just unequally yoked and married to an unbeliever which is hard work cos then you are in bondage to them kind of.

Paul was single, Peter was married and both were went on missions, Paul just went further a field than Peter. I think it is different for each person God has ordained the work He wants you to do. John was initially called to look after Jesus mum.

I think volunteering at church can be a start but I would caution about getting too involved with some as that requires commitment and sometimes you get church members on boards having too much politics that actually stop you from doing things is my experience.

eg the church may think cool you are going to paint the church for free but only if you paint it white. If you start painting scripture they might only want certain verses and no you are not allowed to do this or that.

Nov 26, 2012
Right now because of the Covid quarantine I’m getting caught up on years of neglect around the house. We were so busy with sports, it was never a good time to start a big project. When the children are out of house and my hands are free, my intent is to help out younger dudes or single moms with construction projects. I think about how awesome it would have been if these projects I’ve completed in the last two years were done ten years ago. I just didn’t have the time, money or tools. I want to be the blessing I wish I had twenty years ago starting out overwhelmed and under qualified to do the renovations that have made this house a home.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Right now because of the Covid quarantine I’m getting caught up on years of neglect around the house. We were so busy with sports, it was never a good time to start a big project. When the children are out of house and my hands are free, my intent is to help out younger dudes or single moms with construction projects. I think about how awesome it would have been if these projects I’ve completed in the last two years were done ten years ago. I just didn’t have the time, money or tools. I want to be the blessing I wish I had twenty years ago starting out overwhelmed and under qualified to do the renovations that have made this house a home.
Regarding home renovations we just had a new toilet installed in our master bedroom and a new shower head installed. Also, the drain in the bathtub in the other bedroom was cleaned and the faucet in the downstairs kitchen was fixed so that water flows freely. We used a chunk of our stimulus money to have this done. I guess you could say that it was money down the drain. Other areas of neglect will be addressed as well.

Nov 26, 2012
Regarding home renovations we just had a new toilet installed in our master bedroom and a new shower head installed. Also, the drain in the bathtub in the other bedroom was cleaned and the faucet in the downstairs kitchen was fixed so that water flows freely. We used a chunk of our stimulus money to have this done. I guess you could say that it was money down the drain. Other areas of neglect will be addressed as well.
I’m a certified plumber, so too bad you didn’t live closer. I would have been happy to do all that for you. Since I work for a company doing mostly commercial and industrial I don’t even know what all of that would cost. I do know when I was younger I paid a guy $150 to not fix my dishwasher and another guy $100 to tell me it was cheaper to buy a new drier instead of fix the one I had. Since then I just muddled through everything. Now I can pretty much build a house from the foundations up and fix every appliance there in. I don’t know if I’m naturally handy or just cheap but either way it’s getting done.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I’m a certified plumber, so too bad you didn’t live closer. I would have been happy to do all that for you. Since I work for a company doing mostly commercial and industrial I don’t even know what all of that would cost. I do know when I was younger I paid a guy $150 to not fix my dishwasher and another guy $100 to tell me it was cheaper to buy a new drier instead of fix the one I had. Since then I just muddled through everything. Now I can pretty much build a house from the foundations up and fix every appliance there in. I don’t know if I’m naturally handy or just cheap but either way it’s getting done.
You are definitely handy around the home that's for sure.

love_comes_softly

Feb 13, 2019
We are each called to do the Lord’s work no matter our relationship status.

It’s pretty special because single people often have a different group of people that they minister to. You can do this I’m so many ways. The easiest and hardest way, is to live a life that glorifies the Lord. People are ALWAYS watching.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
What does doing the Lord's work mean for singles (I include divorced, elderly singles, widows, etc.)? It is generally agreed upon that since singles have more spare time, we should be spending more time doing the Lord's work. ...
Marrieds can respond too, but I do not think they are expected to do the Lord's work as much as singles.
I wonder, among whom it is generally agreed that singles have more time? Among the married folks? I think it's hogwash. Any expectation built on a general assumption is bound to fail miserably or cause a lot of hurt.

Why would singles have more time? I have to do all the shopping, cooking, cleaning, yard work, maintenance and don't have anyone to share the load, on top of working full time and commuting.

As for the Lord's work, I contribute in ways that I am gifted to contribute, just as every believer should. If you haven't found where you're gifted, then serve where you can. There is really only one ministry that singles can't (or shouldn't) do; minister personally/privately to members of the opposite gender.

Sep 13, 2018
What does doing the Lord's work mean for singles (I include divorced, elderly singles, widows, etc.)? It is generally agreed upon that since singles have more spare time, we should be spending more time doing the Lord's work. But, what exactly does it mean and what type of work should we be doing? Aside from the more riskier/extreme options such as being a missionary abroad, the first thing I can think of is volunteering more at church. What does it mean to you?

I don't understand your logic in saying that singles have more time on our hands. We don't have someone to share in any responsibility. If I had some one to share responsibilities. I would have twice as much time on my hand's. Don't you think?..

Sep 13, 2018
I don't understand your logic in saying that singles have more time on our hands. We don't have someone to share in any responsibility. If I had some one to share responsibilities. I would have twice as much time on my hand's. Don't you think?..
Sorry Dino. I had'nt read your post before posting this. I feel the same way...

T

TheIndianGirl

I wonder, among whom it is generally agreed that singles have more time? Among the married folks? I think it's hogwash. Any expectation built on a general assumption is bound to fail miserably or cause a lot of hurt.

Why would singles have more time? I have to do all the shopping, cooking, cleaning, yard work, maintenance and don't have anyone to share the load, on top of working full time and commuting.

As for the Lord's work, I contribute in ways that I am gifted to contribute, just as every believer should. If you haven't found where you're gifted, then serve where you can. There is really only one ministry that singles can't (or shouldn't) do; minister personally/privately to members of the opposite gender.
Paul says that the marrieds have to attend to their spouse (this takes time, the singles do not have this worry). He preferred singlehood so he can devote his life to ministry (implication is that if he was married he would not have as much time).

I think singles have a bit extra free time, perhaps not much depending on one's lifestyle. I do find that married people, especially those with kids, have less time for hobbies (even reading) or relaxing. I've gone through phases where I have more free time and sometimes less. Even though I am single and I do everything by myself, I find that I have a lot of spare time now especially weekends that are easy to waste away if I do not have anything planned. For me cooking is a hobby where I have time to try new recipes at any hour of the day even midnight and even fail a few times, but if I were married esp with kids due to time constraints etc, it would feel more like a duty to get dinner on the table quick instead of being a hobby. On cooking and shopping, I think it evens out between married and singles. For example, I can make a big pot of whatever and it can last me a week. With a spouse or especially with kids, that big pot will only will last at half that time and much less with kids (maybe only two days). Sure, the other spouse can share with cooking, but it is usually the wife who cooks a few days later. Spouses can share duties, but oftentimes one spouse helps the other spouse so together not much time is saved. For example, my friend's husband reviews and edits all of my friend's PhD papers, which is time-consuming and tedious, which he would not have to if he were single. She also ends up cooking or cleaning more because of him. So in the end, the shared duties isn't really adding spare hours to the married person's life.

Sep 13, 2018
Paul says that the marrieds have to attend to their spouse (this takes time, the singles do not have this worry). He preferred singlehood so he can devote his life to ministry (implication is that if he was married he would not have as much time).

I think singles have a bit extra free time, perhaps not much depending on one's lifestyle. I do find that married people, especially those with kids, have less time for hobbies (even reading) or relaxing. I've gone through phases where I have more free time and sometimes less. Even though I am single and I do everything by myself, I find that I have a lot of spare time now especially weekends that are easy to waste away if I do not have anything planned. For me cooking is a hobby where I have time to try new recipes at any hour of the day even midnight and even fail a few times, but if I were married esp with kids due to time constraints etc, it would feel more like a duty to get dinner on the table quick instead of being a hobby. On cooking and shopping, I think it evens out between married and singles. For example, I can make a big pot of whatever and it can last me a week. With a spouse or especially with kids, that big pot will only will last at half that time and much less with kids (maybe only two days). Sure, the other spouse can share with cooking, but it is usually the wife who cooks a few days later. Spouses can share duties, but oftentimes one spouse helps the other spouse so together not much time is saved. For example, my friend's husband reviews and edits all of my friend's PhD papers, which is time-consuming and tedious, which he would not have to if he were single. She also ends up cooking or cleaning more because of him. So in the end, the shared duties isn't really adding spare hours to the married person's life.
I Am a single parent with sole custody. I guess you are referring to young singles with no life. I get it
different demographic. And I do most of the cooking and cleaning. (My daughter is a Good cook. Thank God!) And I Have to go over her physics and Geometry paper's as well.

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
And I Have to go over her physics and Geometry paper's as well.
You say that like it's a bad thing instead of a fun problem solving exercise ( of course my high school physics class included comic cover pages on every test and the wiggle giggle ball so maybe my memories of physics are different from most).

Sep 13, 2018
You say that like it's a bad thing instead of a fun problem solving exercise ( of course my high school physics class included comic cover pages on every test and the wiggle giggle ball so maybe my memories of physics are different from most).
Yes, Things are entirely different. That" no kid left behind" is gone. Her school is no joke. But I'm proud of her. She is the only freshman in her Geometry class...

Sep 13, 2018

I don't know Indian girl but in our life. Family comes first. I am talking about your friend or your friend's husband. This "reviews all of my friend's "PhD" paper's , that is an entire waste of time on his families
part.. I personally don't have that time to waste. I was talking about My daughter's home work...Lol.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
can I ask why you have to go over chemistry and physics papers. You dont do her homework for her do you?
My parents never did my homework for me or marked anything. Isnt homework meant to be for the students to do not their parents??!

even if my parents were geniuses how would I learn anything if my parents did all my homework. All I would learn is how to cheat.