I know I shouldn't even be thinking about this now but since my last dog dog in 2005, and that was the most traumatic experience of my life, I don't know if I'll be able to handle it again. I had adopted another dog in 2008 after being depressed for 3 years. My current dog came from a high kill shelter in north Carolina where they put down 70 dogs a week but my dog was saved bc of a transport that chose her and 30 other dogs to drive up to NY.
I found my dog on petfinder and they labeled her as sweet and affectionate. I cannot say she's very affectionate but she's super sweet and everyone she meets just falls in love with her. I named her Sunshine not only bc of her beautiful coloring but also bc she was the first thing to really make me smile in 3 yrs since my previous dog, Teddy passed away. Mind you, it's now been almost 11 yrs since Teddy passed away but I was sooooo close with that dog, I still cry about him sometimes.
Sunshine is 9 yes old and healthy but in the back if my mind, all I keep thinking about is when that fateful day comes, I'm not going to be able to do it. I don't want her to die. When Teddy died, that experience destroyed me. I still can't get those images out of my head. I had taken Teddy to the vet to put him down, I spent 2 hrs with him there. Holding him, talking to him, loving him. I think he knew and he was so patient and loving towards me. He always was. I couldn't make the call til I had been texting one of my friends and he told me that I needed to let Teddy die with dignity so I made the call. Teddy gave me one final kiss and I gave him a great big hug and had his head in my arms bc he was a too big to hold. And the vet injected him and within 2 seconds his body went limp. (crying as I'm writing this). That was horrible. My parents had to pull me away from his body bc I didn't want to let him go. I cried for days afterwards and skipped school bc I just couldn't do it. He died in my arms. The most heart wrenching experience I have ever had to deal with. Watching my best friend die.
As Sunshine gets older, that feeling of dread comes over me. I don't know how to do it.
When Teddy had died, we had another dog whom I wasn't close with n he didn't like me but when Tedday died, Snuffy just let me hold him and let me cry into his fur. He was good and helped me through that first week. Snuffy passed away the following summer at 17 yrs old. I really didn't cry over him too much but my mom did.
I love Sunshine so much. I am not as close with her as I was Teddy but that doesn't mean she isn't special. She's super special and just an awesome dog!! I'm hoping she'll live to be 15+ but as a beautiful shepherd mix idk.
Usually the closer it gets to Teddy's anniversary, the harder time I have thinking about Sunshine. Teddy passed away on December 5, 2005. There's nothing I can do to stop the hands of time but there's gotta be something I can do to prepare myself early on. I just wish I wouldn't think about it and just have fun, be happy and enjoy Sunshine everyday. And I do but I don't get any peace from it and it's still still so difficult.
I found my dog on petfinder and they labeled her as sweet and affectionate. I cannot say she's very affectionate but she's super sweet and everyone she meets just falls in love with her. I named her Sunshine not only bc of her beautiful coloring but also bc she was the first thing to really make me smile in 3 yrs since my previous dog, Teddy passed away. Mind you, it's now been almost 11 yrs since Teddy passed away but I was sooooo close with that dog, I still cry about him sometimes.
Sunshine is 9 yes old and healthy but in the back if my mind, all I keep thinking about is when that fateful day comes, I'm not going to be able to do it. I don't want her to die. When Teddy died, that experience destroyed me. I still can't get those images out of my head. I had taken Teddy to the vet to put him down, I spent 2 hrs with him there. Holding him, talking to him, loving him. I think he knew and he was so patient and loving towards me. He always was. I couldn't make the call til I had been texting one of my friends and he told me that I needed to let Teddy die with dignity so I made the call. Teddy gave me one final kiss and I gave him a great big hug and had his head in my arms bc he was a too big to hold. And the vet injected him and within 2 seconds his body went limp. (crying as I'm writing this). That was horrible. My parents had to pull me away from his body bc I didn't want to let him go. I cried for days afterwards and skipped school bc I just couldn't do it. He died in my arms. The most heart wrenching experience I have ever had to deal with. Watching my best friend die.
As Sunshine gets older, that feeling of dread comes over me. I don't know how to do it.
When Teddy had died, we had another dog whom I wasn't close with n he didn't like me but when Tedday died, Snuffy just let me hold him and let me cry into his fur. He was good and helped me through that first week. Snuffy passed away the following summer at 17 yrs old. I really didn't cry over him too much but my mom did.
I love Sunshine so much. I am not as close with her as I was Teddy but that doesn't mean she isn't special. She's super special and just an awesome dog!! I'm hoping she'll live to be 15+ but as a beautiful shepherd mix idk.
Usually the closer it gets to Teddy's anniversary, the harder time I have thinking about Sunshine. Teddy passed away on December 5, 2005. There's nothing I can do to stop the hands of time but there's gotta be something I can do to prepare myself early on. I just wish I wouldn't think about it and just have fun, be happy and enjoy Sunshine everyday. And I do but I don't get any peace from it and it's still still so difficult.