How do you reconcile these verse

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

JohnB

Jul 31, 2022
Calif
This is what the LORD commands for Zelophehad’s daughters: They may marry anyone they please as long as they marry within their father’s tribal clan. Numbers 36:6

Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.” Mark 10:9

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
This is what the LORD commands for Zelophehad’s daughters: They may marry anyone they please as long as they marry within their father’s tribal clan. Numbers 36:6

Ummmm...........

What is there to reconcile?

JohnB

Jul 31, 2022
Calif
Ummmm...........

What is there to reconcile?
Do you make the choice or GOD? OR is the idea, you make a choice, GOD confirms it and you're stuck with your choice?

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Do you make the choice or GOD? OR is the idea, you make a choice, GOD confirms it and you're stuck with your choice?
Thats up to you to decide. God may so no, but He won't stop you from trying anyway.

soberxp

May 3, 2018

If a woman really falls in love with people from other Israeli tribes, if they really love each other, they can be friends, which does not violate God's rules, and can also maintain relationships.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
If a woman really falls in love with people from other Israeli tribes, if they really love each other, they can be friends, which does not violate God's rules, and can also maintain relationships.
Yes. Being friends is usually good. (y)

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016

The issue was not who they could and could not marry the main issue was the land these woman inherited.. It was part of the tribal land God had given to their tribe.. So the keep the land in the tribe The LORD restricted their choice of husband to members of the tribe Manessesah.. The daughters could still make their personal choice as to whom amoung the tribe to marry so God still allowed them a choice among a large number of men..

The scripture about the contaversy::

(Numbers 36:2-3) "And they said, The LORD commanded my lord to give the land for an inheritance by lot to the children of Israel: and my lord was commanded by the LORD to give the inheritance of Zelophehad our brother unto his daughters. {3} And if they be married to any of the sons of the other tribes of the children of Israel, then shall their inheritance be taken from the inheritance of our fathers, and shall be put to the inheritance of the tribe whereunto they are received: so shall it be taken from the lot of our inheritance."

JohnB

Jul 31, 2022
Calif
The issue was not who they could and could not marry the main issue was the land these woman inherited.. It was part of the tribal land God had given to their tribe.. So the keep the land in the tribe The LORD restricted their choice of husband to members of the tribe Manessesah.. The daughters could still make their personal choice as to whom amoung the tribe to marry so God still allowed them a choice among a large number of men..

The scripture about the contaversy::

(Numbers 36:2-3) "And they said, The LORD commanded my lord to give the land for an inheritance by lot to the children of Israel: and my lord was commanded by the LORD to give the inheritance of Zelophehad our brother unto his daughters. {3} And if they be married to any of the sons of the other tribes of the children of Israel, then shall their inheritance be taken from the inheritance of our fathers, and shall be put to the inheritance of the tribe whereunto they are received: so shall it be taken from the lot of our inheritance."
But who they married was a choice. Yet Jesus said "What GOD has joined together lit no man tear apart"

JohnB

Jul 31, 2022
Calif
Thats up to you to decide. God may so no, but He won't stop you from trying anyway.
I agree, you do decide, but once you make that decision and get married, GOD has joined you....for better or for worse. I can fine that troubling. No matter how good things look at the beginning, it could end up being horrible. I don't like the idea of being single, but I have seen Christians who have gotten married and said it was the worst mistake they ever made. They were far worse off than me. Marriage can seem like a crap shoot.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
But who they married was a choice. Yet Jesus said "What GOD has joined together lit no man tear apart"
People make the choice and when they get married ( the ceremony ) God joins them together..

So two people decide to get married and come to God and then God joins them together.. The actual joining together does not happen until the marriage has taken place and God does that..

Dirtman

Jul 19, 2022
I agree, you do decide, but once you make that decision and get married, GOD has joined you....for better or for worse. I can fine that troubling. No matter how good things look at the beginning, it could end up being horrible. I don't like the idea of being single, but I have seen Christians who have gotten married and said it was the worst mistake they ever made. They were far worse off than me. Marriage can seem like a crap shoot.
Because people marry for the wrong reasons. Because people tend to be selfish
Because people are sinful
So dont do those things.
Marry for the right reasons
Love you wife as God loves the church
Live a life of repentance.
Now marriage is as good as humanly possible.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Just surrender it all to Him. That's the best way I've found to live at peace in any circumstance. He knows infinitely better than we do what's best for us.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015

God had specific reasons for the instructions he gave to the Israelites. There are comparable reasons for telling Christians through Paul, "Do not be yoked with an unbeliever."

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
God joined them together within their own tribe.
let no man tear apart the inheritance God has assigned from those He chose to inherit it.

of note:
  • Numbers 36 is about women, not men
  • in particular Numbers 36 is about women who are the sole heirs of a parcel of land
    • the heirs of property are typically men, but their father died without sons
  • the key concern is land God had ordained for one tribe being passed to another tribe through marriage
    • the judgement is that this must not be so; therefore these women, if they choose to do so, must marry within their own tribe
    • they are free to choose whom they marry ((see v.6)) within the bounds God established
  • IMO we arrive at some advice: "do not be unequally yoked with non-believers"

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
The common factor present in successful marriages is communication, with specific attention to the root also present in "communion."

Proverbs 31: 30 Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised

Proverbs 31: 30
:)

JohnB

Jul 31, 2022
Calif
God had specific reasons for the instructions he gave to the Israelites. There are comparable reasons for telling Christians through Paul, "Do not be yoked with an unbeliever."
Just because someone is a Christian does not mean you are equally yoked.