How does a Christian keep the Sabbath Holy?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
No, not 'the Law'. But my (perhaps wrong) understanding is that Jesus fulfilled the law, but the 10 commandments are not part of the law, and they still stand. I really am not trying to get a debate going, I'm not arguing... I am confused! These are just questions from one who is continually seeking the truth. I started by asking what other Christians typically do on a Sunday, and now am asking if we are supposed to be keeping the 10 commandments.
Perhaps you can show me where in the New Testament. Are Christians commanded directly to keep the law or the ten commandments?

I can show you numerous verses that say we are not under the law.

Romans 6:14
For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under the Law but under grace.

Mar 6, 2021
The law is one if we keep the sabbath that’s written in the law we have to keep the sabbath according to what is written in the law that is established for the sabbath it’s all written down if we want to obey Moses law

But if we think we need to keep the law we have to keep the entire law not just choose which commands we follow , this is written by Paul a former Pharisee who trusted in the law before he met Jesus it’s written to Christian’s

“For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.”
‭‭James‬ ‭2:10-11‬ ‭KJV‬‬

that’s how the law works keeping one command won’t help anyone you have to keep everything Moses wrote in the book of the law or its a curse because your breaking it

“For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.

But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith. And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭3:10-12‬ ‭KJV‬‬

We walk by faith the law is not of faith

“Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, ( indebted to the law ) Christ shall profit you nothing.

For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law. Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭5:1-4‬ ‭KJV‬‬

The law Moses wrote in his book can’t be changed ever the law will always be what he wrote in his book of the law and gave to Israel in the desert

“And it came to pass, when Moses had made an end of writing the words of this law in a book, until they were finished, that Moses commanded the Levites, which bare the ark of the covenant of the LORD, saying, Take this book of the law, and put it in the side of the ark of the covenant of the LORD your God, that it may be there for a witness against thee.”
‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭31:24-26‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Israel’s law is here this defines it forever and ever and it’s where the sabbath command is written

“And afterward he read all the words of the law, the blessings and cursings, according to all that is written in the book of the law. There was not a word of all that Moses commanded, which Joshua read not before all the congregation of Israel, with the women, and the little ones, and the strangers that were conversant among them.”
‭‭Joshua‬ ‭8:34-35‬ ‭

There was a book called the book of the law , it was written by Moses in it are the Ten Commandments and the regulations and ordinances that are built upon those Ten Commandments.

It’s all part of a whole covenant, it had a mediator , it had a whole law detailed with over six hundred decrees based on the ten basic commands that found the law.

Christian’s have Jesus the mediator and his words are the ones written on the heart that’s why we are called to hear and believe the gospel so it can be written on our hearts

Trying to make one day per week special and holy moreso than any other day has absolutely nothing to do with Christianity , it’s part of the ancient law of Moses the one he wrote down on the book of the law and Israel kept through the centuries and read every year to everyone until it disappeared in 600 bc or so when Babylon ransacked Jerusalem

now we have a record of what’s in the law in the first five Books of the Bible

the law is the old covenant law the gospel is salvation and Gods word meant to be written on the heart

keeping one day holy v walking with God in Christ everyday
Thank you for this clarifying explanation! I truly appreciate you taking the time to write all that out, and for the thoughtful prayer that went into your reply! I think I finally understand!... and why I've felt so confused over this issue! My brain was arguing with my heart's inscriptions. I'm so relieved I want to cry. I've been Christian for almost 50 years... and never knew this till now

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
So you're saying just sit around and read scripture all day? Surely there are other ways to glorify God's day..
If you want to be part of a factional group within Christianity, which ultimately is a deed of the flesh. Then you can work on the sabbath day by doing good things for other people. Jesus always preached and healed every sabbath day. Jesus never had a day off.

Mar 6, 2021
Perhaps you can show me where in the New Testament. Are Christians commanded directly to keep the law or the ten commandments?

For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under the Law but under grace.
I've got understanding now! Thank you for your efforts

Mar 6, 2021

I always thought (and was taught) that the 10 commandments were for everyone, always. The Laws were for the Jews and fulfilled by Jesus.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
Faith without works is dead.

Faith and works go hand in hand with each other.

Keeping any law or doing any works will not make us good enough for heaven. Or reverse the guilt of transgressing the law (sin)

We need the grace of Jesus.

Grace to be forgiven and grace to be transformed.

So should we or shouldn't we keep the law?

Should we kill and murder?
Should we commit adultery?
Should we take the Lords name in vain?
Should we keep the sabbath day holy?

You don't keep them to be saved and earn salvation, we should keep them because we Love the Lord and because we Love our neighbour.

Joh 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Rom 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

Just because Jesus has paid the price for our guilt, for us not keeping the law doesn't mean we should continue in sin.

Rom 6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?

The law was not removed.
The penalty of breaking it was removed.

Grace911

Nov 11, 2018
The Bible says that God found fault with the Old Covenant, and therefore He established the New Covenant/Testament in Christ.

For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second. For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a New Covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah: (Heb 8:7,8)
Heb 8:8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:

Most Christians do not see themselves as one of the lost sheep of the House of Israel that has been scattered, that will be regathered. Christians believe they are Gentiles and do not understand the grafting into the commonwealth of Israel or the adoption that brings you into the LORD's household.

See this post for a more exhaustive explanation of the New Covenant. https://christianchat.com/threads/m...presented-by-the-number-6.210310/post-5051387

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
We all have work we do to take care of our physical needs, we identify ourselves with this work. We are teachers, or firemen, or libarians or--------. But for the Sabbath, we are just people who love and worship the Lord.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
Most Christians do not see themselves as one of the lost sheep of the House of Israel that has been scattered, that will be regathered. Christians believe they are Gentiles and do not understand the grafting into the commonwealth of Israel or the adoption that brings you into the LORD's household.
I agree, we have been grafted in.
Christ is our brother.

Mar 6, 2021
Thanks everyone... I very much appreciate you all taking the time and giving the effort to answer my dilemma! Clarity is an amazing Blessing!

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Since most Christians are in fact Gentiles, why would they pretend to be the lost sheep of the House of Israel? At the same time, within the Body of Christ all distinctions have been abolished.

Grace911

Nov 11, 2018
Since most Christians are in fact Gentiles, why would they pretend to be the lost sheep of the House of Israel? At the same time, within the Body of Christ all distinctions have been abolished.
without understanding the two Houses - House of Judah and House of Israel - most of the Bible is misunderstood. Most of the House of Israel never returned to the LORD after the Assyrian captivity. They were scattered to every corner of the earth, Lost their identity, and filled that void with false gods and false holy days. This was YHWH/LORD plan from the beginning.

John 3:16 For God so loved the WHOLE WORLD that He gave His only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in Him, shall have everlasting life.

YHWH divorced the House of Israel, but through Christ's passion, draws them back so that they can be remarried. See Deuteronomy 24:1-4, Jeremiah 3, Romans 7 for starters.

Paul's teachings have been so twisted that Satan is winning the deception of the WHOLE WORLD. How many different laws does Paul describe? Only one is the written Law of YHWH, one is the Oral Law, that is not of YHWH. One is the Law of Sin and Law of Death. Which Law was nailed to the cross. See my pictured Avatar? that is a spike that the paid debt/receipts are put on when the debt has been paid. This is what has been nailed to the cross. The debt we owed but could not pay. The LORD/YHWH never changes and Jesus who is God in the flest, also is the same forever. The wages of sin is death. That is what we earned. But God's grace plan was there from Genesis to Revelation.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
It is a sad sight to see studied individuals who have learned presept upon precept in reading material, yet miss out on the message of the union of mankind destined to be in the Kingdom foreve with their Father in heaven.
True, gentiles were separate from the chosen for a time, but we have been grafted into that original vine for eternity as long as we donot think ourselves above the original.
We are given the right to become sons of the Most High............ Do not deny the part played by the original Israel, nor of the true believing descendants of the same.
Do not judge by appearances but with right judgement no matter how much you thin you know, what is falsely called knowledge will dny no huma groups from Salvation, by this I refer to the believeing members of these groups exclusively. Get out of the judges chambers and into the truth without bias. God is Love, so if what you think you know denies His love for anyone, you need to meditate and pray.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
There is a lot the Bible admonishes us to Not Do on the Sabbath. My dilemma is what can we DO? I spend some time in prayer, some time reading the Word, and then I am stumped. I physically cannot sit around all day and end up just doing things (renovations on house etc) that are self-serving. What is acceptable to God on this day? What sort of things do YOU do to keep the Sabbath?
Mark 2:27
“And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:”

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011

Show where Jesus has declared such.

DJT_47

Oct 20, 2022
CHaitians are not required to keep the sabbath Holy as were the Jews required under the old covenant.

Grace911

Nov 11, 2018
CHaitians are not required to keep the sabbath Holy as were the Jews required under the old covenant.
Feasts of the Lord
Lev 23:1 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
Lev 23:2 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, Concerning the feasts of the LORD, which ye shall proclaim to be holy convocations, even these are My feasts.
The Sabbath
Lev 23:3 Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings.

"Jews" are never mentioned in the first five books/Torah/Pentateuch of the Bible.

the children of Israel are all 12 tribes of which only one is the tribe of Judah.

When the kingdom split, it was House of Judah (two tribes plus Levites) and House of Israel (Ten tribers).

Can you show me a scripture were the Jews are required under the old covenant to keep the Sabbath Holy?

I know it is an assumption for those who have not read the Old Testament to think that the OT is just for the Jews. In fact, if you search the internet you will find that error in most Christian websites, but especially in the Jewish websites.

Why do you suppose that an intentional leading away from the truth is so prominent on the internet? Because, so many pastors and teachers who have been trained/brainwashed in seminary schools are taught this. It is a Jesuit teaching, intended to lead the masses astray. Jesuit -
noun
  • 1. a member of the Society of Jesus, a Roman Catholic order of priests founded by St. Ignatius Loyola, St. Francis Xavier, and others in 1534, to do missionary work. The order was zealous in opposing the Reformation. Despite periodic persecution it has retained an important influence in Catholic thought and education.
From Wikipedia "The Society of Jesus (Latin: Societas Iesu; abbreviation: SJ), commonly known as the Jesuits (/ˈdʒɛʒu.ɪts, ˈdʒɛz(j)u, ˈdʒɛs-/;[3] Latin: Iesuitæ),[4] is a religious order of clerics regular of pontifical right for men in the Catholic Church headquartered in Rome. It was founded in 1540 by Ignatius of Loyola and six companions, with the approval of Pope Paul III. The society is engaged in evangelization and apostolic ministry in 112 nations. Jesuits work in education, research, and cultural pursuits. Jesuits also conduct retreats, minister in hospitals and parishes, sponsor direct social and humanitarian ministries, and promote ecumenical dialogue. "

Martin Luther (1483–1546), German theologian; the principal figure of the German Reformation. He preached the doctrine of justification by faith rather than by works and railed against the sale of indulgences and papal authority.

On October 31, 1517, legend has it that the priest and scholar Martin Luther approaches the door of the Castle Church in Wittenberg , Germany, and nails a piece of paper to it containing the 95 revolutionary opinions that would begin the Protestant Reformation

We have had over 516 years of brainwashing the masses who would rather sit in an auditiorium and watch the stage of different actors.

2Pe 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
2Pe 2:2 And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.

Psalms_119:30 I have chosen the way of truth: thy judgments have I laid before me.

Mark_13:22 For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect.

Matthew_7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

Matthew 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

What is iniquity? It is the workings of lawlesness.

1John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

What is lawlessness in the Bible?
  • Lawlessness as Acts of Sin. By means of the concept of "doing lawlessness" ( Matt 7:23 ; 13:41 ; cf. 1 John 3:4 ), lawlessness takes the meaning of deeds of lawlessness (cf. Matt 24:12 ; Titus 2:14 ). They are deeds that manifest rebellion against God.

1Samuel_15:23 For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, he hath also rejected thee from being king.

Lamentations_1:18 The LORD is righteous; for I have rebelled against his commandment: hear, I pray you, all people, and behold my sorrow: my virgins and my young men are gone into captivity. (The House of Israel was taken into captivity in 721/722 BC by the Assyrians but they never returned. The House of Judah was taken into captivity by the Babylonians in 609 BC and many returned to Israel after 70 years.)

Psa_119:142 Thy righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, and thy law is the truth.

Exodus_12:49 One law shall be to him that is homeborn, and unto the stranger that sojourneth among you.

Numbers_15:16 One law and one manner shall be for you, and for the stranger that sojourneth with you.

Numbers_15:29 Ye shall have one law for him that sinneth through ignorance, both for him that is born among the children of Israel, and for the stranger that sojourneth among them.

Exodus_20:10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

Leviticus_23:3 Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings.

Deuteronomy_5:14 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thine ox, nor thine ass, nor any of thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates; that thy manservant and thy maidservant may rest as well as thou.

Question you must ask yourself is if the LORD/YHWH never changes and Jesus is always the same yesterday, today and forever, and they are ONE, who are you rebelling against and whose doctrine are you following?

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Mark 2:27
“And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:”
God blessed that seventh day for our benefit. There is a well known saying "don't look a gift horse in the mouth. " This gift is from a loving God who is perfect, it seems foolish not to accept the gift of the Sabbath God gave us.