M
morefaithrequired
Guest
I dont mind being called a Catholic but really I'm not a very good one. In fact I prefer to be called a Cathprot. As I like the idea of individual discernment rather than Church compliance.
I dunno about being a Protestant... as Lanolin said, I ain't protesting nothing. In the southeast of the USA we don't usually hear a lot about people saying they are Protestant. Mostly they call themselves Baptist or Methodist or whatever denomination, or "Non-Denominational" which usually just means unofficial Baptist with a cool website.
I hear it's a lot different in other places. In Ireland it can be a matter of life or death. Sectarian strife is a really big thing there. There are even Catholic and Protestant gangs. Like, literal gangs, organized crime, shootings, the works.
I can't take credit. I heard it on a Tim Hawkins skit.Only you could come up with that one. rofl Too funny!!
Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding DingBut the term “Protestant” makes me think of like the Protestant reformation and Martin Luther.
Most people seem to think of 'Protestant' as "[anything] not Catholic"; however, that is not the historical reality.
Protestant denominations are those that "came out of" Catholicism. They "protested" Catholicism - from within Catholicism - and, "broke away from" the Catholic Church - taking "bits and pieces" of Catholicism with them into their newly-formed denomination. (Or, they came out of one of the Protestant denominations that came directly out of Catholicism.)
Not all denominations came out of Catholicism.
There is one [modern denomination] that existed from the time of Christ - well before Catholicism was "a 'twinkle' in Constantine's eye" - albeit, not by the same name.
The Church that Christ built was scattered in the first century - but, maintained the Faith. They became known by different names at different times - and, were later persecuted in the most horrible ways by the Catholic Church. Yet, they maintained the Faith - some even to the death - while being tortured by the Catholic Church.
They eventually became known as 'Anabaptists' - which means "re-baptizers" - named by the Catholic Church - because they did not believe in baptizing infants.
Many of these faithful believers were tortured to death because they would not give into the demands of the Catholic Church that they baptize infants.
They kept the Faith unto death.
The 'Ana' was eventually dropped...
A true Baptist (historically, and even today) is not a Protestant - because, they practice a Faith that did not come out of Catholicism.
If you are interested in knowing more about the history of Baptists, read The Trail of Blood By James Milton Carroll.