How "Financially Set" Does One Need to Be in Order to "Qualify" for Looking for a Spouse?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

What Financial Milestones Should Someone Achieve Before Looking to Date?

• Debts paid off/being paid off regularly. (What kinds of debts are "acceptable" or not?)

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Can hold a steady job.

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • Has X amount of savings. (How much?)

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Lives independently. (Alone? With roommies? Owns or rents? Stays at home to save money?)

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Pays bills on time.

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Isn't taking on more debt (or has good reasons for doing so. What are the reasons?)

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Pays for several others besides him/herself (who and why?) Family members? Friends? Freeloaders?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Has X amount of debt and is too much to consider actively dating. (How much? $5000? $50,000? etc.)

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Finances don't matter. Go ahead and date -- just pray and trust God to work it all out!

• Other -- I want to share my thoughts/other answers in my post.

• Total voters

SonJudgment

Jun 25, 2024
In a sort of ironic way, or perhaps unironic way depending on your beliefs, but every successful godly couple I ever knew 100% of them started when the man had nothing. They started from the ground up and sort of grew together it seems, and since they had the godly mindset and godly true idea of marriage correct they have only stayed with eachother for so long, strengthening the legitimacy that they have true love for both eachother and God. For this reason I voted Finances don't matter, not as a matter of altruism, but as a matter of this seems the evidence of my own eyes cannot really deny.

Susanna

Apr 14, 2023
Galveston and Houston
In a sort of ironic way, or perhaps unironic way depending on your beliefs, but every successful godly couple I ever knew 100% of them started when the man had nothing. They started from the ground up and sort of grew together it seems, and since they had the godly mindset and godly true idea of marriage correct they have only stayed with eachother for so long, strengthening the legitimacy that they have true love for both eachother and God. For this reason I voted Finances don't matter, not as a matter of altruism, but as a matter of this seems the evidence of my own eyes cannot really deny.
I don’t about men, but I was looking for potential before I married. None of us had anything.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
On the flipside, the thought of marrying a guy who was loaded and just played all the time is almost as unappealing as the thought of marrying a guy who couldn't live within his means and is always broke. So maybe it's more about living with conviction :unsure:.
That's what I was thinking when I asked about a rich guy who didn't do jack. I thought that might not be very attractive.

I'm probably doubly unattractive. I'm a fast food employee, and I have zero ambition. So I'm poor AND I don't have any observable potential.

It's a peaceful life though. Let others break themselves trying to get stuff. I'll be over here taking a nap.

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
if i was single, i'd make sure i had no debt, & $1,000,000 in the bank, at least. & a lot of that hidden!

May 10, 2011
That's what I was thinking when I asked about a rich guy who didn't do jack. I thought that might not be very attractive.

I'm probably doubly unattractive. I'm a fast food employee, and I have zero ambition. So I'm poor AND I don't have any observable potential.

It's a peaceful life though. Let others break themselves trying to get stuff. I'll be over here taking a nap.

Yeah, your comment is what I was thinking of when I said that but I've thought of it before when friends tell me to find an older rich guy to marry :rolleyes:. It really doesn't sound appealing to goof off all day. But a man who submits his finances to God, no matter how copious or meager they might be.... well that's a plus in my book! :cool:

In a sort of ironic way, or perhaps unironic way depending on your beliefs, but every successful godly couple I ever knew 100% of them started when the man had nothing. They started from the ground up and sort of grew together it seems

I think that can work quite well when the couple is young and just starting out, but at my age (41), if a man doesn't have anything put away for retirement (or even just a rainy day), I would want to know why. Perhaps he would have a good reason for it, but I'd still need to know the reason. Because otherwise I might end up working my butt off trying to earn retirement for BOTH of us. And if he decides to waste it instead (I'd have to submit to his decision), then I would be a very sad potato. :cautious:

So, broke at 20 is understandable, broke at 40 is a serious concern.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
You identify as a potato? :p

Being a sad one would not be very a-peel-ing.

Okay I'll hush now.

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
I think I'm kind of in agreement with the rest of the group that how you manage your finances is much more important than how much money you have, but also that by the time you get to be an older single you really should have some savings for the future. Though I'm going to put all of this in the context of whether you're a good match or not rather than if it's "right" for you to consider dating.