How is Everyone Holding Up in the Winter Weather?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

kinda

Jun 26, 2013
Making green tea and staying indoors today.

I recently purchased heated gloves/jacket, because it's cold. brrrrrr Those hand warmers work pretty good also.

Stay warm everyone.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
You know those survivor shows where white people go to a tropical desert island and pretend to survive while they are being filmed, for entertainment purposes, and have to do without running water, electricity and wifi and shopping (while being filmed!) well I'd like to watch a show where people go to maybe the cities and have to live homeless on the street during winter, and they have to do things like go dumpster diving and sing for their supper and sleep rough.

Talljake

Jul 17, 2022
You know those survivor shows where white people go to a tropical desert island and pretend to survive while they are being filmed, for entertainment purposes, and have to do without running water, electricity and wifi and shopping (while being filmed!) well I'd like to watch a show where people go to maybe the cities and have to live homeless on the street during winter, and they have to do things like go dumpster diving and sing for their supper and sleep rough.
I'm sorry that people have to go through those things because even here people go through the same. These things happen here as well as there. Or work so very hard for a paycheck just to see uncle Sam take a lot of it away. The struggles of hard living is a world wide problem, yes even here. Some people choose drugs over food. Its a common thing as well. I pray the lord helps you in any struggle you or anyone else may be facing. I pray anger and bitterness be replaced with love, joy, and understanding. We can either stay on the ground feeling defeated or allow the lord to help us back up to push forward. If he is willing to feed the birds of the air, then how much more will he do for us? He loves you, put your focus on him and he will guide you. God bless

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
I'm truly blessed. Mom is better and out of the hospital.
Our power has been fine and we didn't get too much snow. The temps are a little below seasonal, but not bad , teens °F.
I bought some nice wool over the weekend and really enjoy using it. It sure beats the man made high tech fabrics for most applications. That reminds me that I have to take care of a little work in the back yard before it gets late.

Noel25

Dec 17, 2022
It's a bit chilly here in Texas. I am okay though not as bad as the rest of ya'll up North. I just hope the power grid doesn't mess up again. :eek:

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I'm sorry that people have to go through those things because even here people go through the same. These things happen here as well as there. Or work so very hard for a paycheck just to see uncle Sam take a lot of it away. The struggles of hard living is a world wide problem, yes even here. Some people choose drugs over food. Its a common thing as well. I pray the lord helps you in any struggle you or anyone else may be facing. I pray anger and bitterness be replaced with love, joy, and understanding. We can either stay on the ground feeling defeated or allow the lord to help us back up to push forward. If he is willing to feed the birds of the air, then how much more will he do for us? He loves you, put your focus on him and he will guide you. God bless
I remember reading Laura Ingalls Wilder's experience of a long, hard winter on the prairie. What happened was it was so cold, that they had to stay inside their cabin and just keep on burning the wheat chaff or whatever they had to keep warm every single day and that was pretty much all they did.

The railway bring coal and goods had not come through and they lived too far away from town to get to any shops as well. They lived in about six different places as their father was running away from debts (he didn't tell his daughters that though!) and wanting to make it as a homesteader, but the land betrayed them. One neighbour had hoarded wheat inside the walls of his house and Laura's father managed to get him to redistribute it as by then they were kind of starving.

Eventually the Wilder family did settle in a place somewhere closer to a town for a while but that wasn't her father's dream.
When Laura did marry and have a place of their own they still had a somewhat hard life (this was pioneering days) and her house burnt down one day and all the locusts ate their crops.

The thing with birds, is they can always fly away somewhere warmer, but it's not always so with humans.

When we have winters here, the richer people DO fly to warmer places to spend their holidays, but poorer people often can't afford to do so. I do think so many people live in California or Florida because of the sunshine, and homeless people go down there to escape the winters in trailers and vans.

In the Bible they had storms, but its never written that they ever had blizzards and snow, their weather problems were more they had TOO much sun and desert. I often think of Angela's Ashes when thinking of biblical weather, of how people dream of living in the Middle East because, it doesn't snow or rain for days on end there lol.

Anyway I do like where I live even with the humidity and become acclimatised, but we have this place called snow planet where there's an artificial ski slope inside a big barn, and people pay money to go and play on the fake snow. I've never been though, but I have been to an ice skating rink, though you can kind of do the same thing on a waxed floor wearing socks.

17Bees

Oct 14, 2016
I loved the Angela's Ashes clip. When I was a boy I lived for a time near an old man I befriended. He kind of looked like the headmaster in that clip. His house inside was a wreck. He lived alone and his house had papers and books all over the place. The house even smelled of paper. Thing is, he knew where every book was. He could go right to them, even if they were covered up in junk.

I asked him once "what you want with all these books' and he told me they were magic. He said I could travel the world with just one book. One chapter. I could find a new friend, even ride a horse across the plains. So he hands me a book "Call of the Wild" and he was right when I read it. He gave me a few more books too. And I kept them even after I gave them back. I can check them out anytime I want to this day.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
It's been -40 here. That's the same in Celsius and Farenheit. It's expletive cold.

I survived, though a new first is running my gas fireplace continuously for several days (yes, all night too). I know, not recommended.

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
Well when the snow stopped for a bit Wed and Thursday they got the roads pretty well cleared (at least the main roads), but once it stops snowing (or it's late enough that I'll lose the daylight) I have to shovel the drive and dig myself out yet again because I'm pretty sure I'm not going anywhere until I do. Barely got in the garage last night after work. And the dog is restless at times because of lack of walks. On the other hand, I've survived driving in this nasty weather so far so that's good. And hopefully we'll get back up around freezing soon.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
the trains are running again after several weeks off. They had to do work on the track in the summer holidays. The road toll is always high around summer.

Last Sunday went for a drive and saw several ambulances, helicopters and police cars coming back from a remote beach. It turned out one person was killed from a stupid accident when some boy racers thought it would be fun to do burnouts on the beach. Their ute flipped on the sand, crushing one of the girl passengers.

We have so many fatal and injurious car accidents its not funny. People are always getting run over, even toddlers in driveways from massive SUVs, and everyone has had some kind of whiplash or car injury or knows someone whos been in an accident or ended up in A and E or got accident compensation. People still drink and drive despite it being stupid thing to do because there is no other way of getting home, and calling the police for a safe ride home is a no no. with all the narrow windy roads in nz, its NOT like in the US where its pretty much flat and straight as far as the eye can see and you can show off your Harley or whatever. Here, we have rollercoasters for roads and road cones and landslips everywhere.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Otherwise, I am enjoying the sun and sunflowers.

Talljake

Jul 17, 2022
Enjoying this beautiful sunny winter day ❤️

Jan 15, 2024
I did not take that, it's a giff. I just used it to set off a winter vibe lol.
Well Im from the caribbean so it definitely set off a winter vibe for me 😄😄😄😄😄 it made me want to experience at least one winter weather before JESUS' arrival 😄

Talljake

Jul 17, 2022
It's a nice time of year. If I see some good scenery through my travels I will take a real photo. I do enjoy winter ❄️

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Well Im from the caribbean so it definitely set off a winter vibe for me 😄😄😄😄😄 it made me want to experience at least one winter weather before JESUS' arrival 😄
Jake can set off a winter vibe by simply putting on a flannel shirt.