How Many of Our Own Demons Need to be Chained Before We Can Start Dating?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

enril

Aug 18, 2024
Hello Everyone,

An ongoing thread raised an excellent point: How perfect do we need to be before we can start dating/looking for a life partner and spouse?

Whenever I write threads, I usually ask for people to share something about themselves, so I feel it's only fair for me to pony up a few details about myself.

One of the fiercest dragons in my own life is depression, and I'm sure that was a huge contributing factor to my divorce. Marriage didn't "cure" me as I had hoped, and the girl he left me for (someone from our workplace) had a very happy-go-lucky personality, which I'm sure was a stark contrast to my own, which I'm sure was part of the attraction.

Many of us here are long-time singles, and repeated brushes with heartache has taught us the need to set limits and boundaries with others. But what about when it comes to ourselves?

* How much of our own issues have to be under control before we could be seen as fit for someone else?

* How do we even begin to measure how much "better" we are with what we're struggling with, and how much is enough?

* Should we just throw ourselves out there anyway, wish the for the best, and see what happens?

* How does one know when they have their own problems "under control" enough to be good for someone else?

I would love to hear your stories and thoughts! If it's too personal, don't feel a need to talk about yourself -- if it's more comfortable, tell us about the things you've observed and learned from others around you.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share!
Firstly and most importantly, i have to be doing it for the right reason, not sex.
secondly, i have to be over my depression and have things in place to prevent me from trying to kill myself again.
thirdly, i need to build trust again--to be able to trust anyone but my 3 friends.
fourth, i need to be serious,
fithly, i need to be more centered in christ,
sixth, i need emotional, financial, spiritual, and physical preparedness.
seventhe, i need to gain honesty back.
eighth, i need to heal from my past,
ninth, i need to be able to love again,
and tenth, i need to find someone willing to follow me possibly into missions.
and, of course, i need to survive until i am an adult.

i dont know, but this is mine.

actually, i have no idea,but personally, no.

when you can accept yourself.

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
when you can accept yourself.
My answer goes with another thread that @ForgivenAndRedeemed authored and I was going to comment in that one also when he said, "If I were a prince (like Philip) but that is the wall I bumped into the (like Philip) qualification of being a prince. So, seeing this just poked me as a burr under the saddle that needs picked out, for the comfort of the horse as much as my own.

So, to finely tune the statement "when you can accept yourself," I would add, "as a prince(ss) in your own right," you will find yourself behaving accordingly. I mean, are you or are you not a son or daughter of God? And does your behavior change this attitude or does your attitude change your behavior?

Accept your identity as a child of the King of Heaven and Earth.