How to explain Christ if a non-Christian asks you?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
A lady told me her mother went on and on about how Christ died for her and this lady thought her Mom was just being silly. She said many people die for others at wartime, and no one makes the fuss about it that Christians do. She said she just didn’t understand. I completely failed to make her understand. She passed away not long after we had this conversation. How would you have responded to this lady?

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019
My response: many people die for others at war time but only Jesus was Resurrected.

Jan 17, 2020
A lady told me her mother went on and on about how Christ died for her and this lady thought her Mom was just being silly. She said many people die for others at wartime, and no one makes the fuss about it that Christians do. She said she just didn’t understand. I completely failed to make her understand. She passed away not long after we had this conversation. How would you have responded to this lady?
Luther had some good points. One I'll paraphrase says something like "you need to get them lost first, or they will not be in the position where God saves them." So creating a need for salvation based on a person's sin and God's wrath for sinners might be a start. You can tackle the sin awareness problem by defining sin as the love of neighbor and enemy as you love yourself and your kids. And how that would mean giving all you have to the poor, including those who hate you.

Following their resistance to this, you could say "that's God's standard for not sinning".

Then you could follow by saying Jesus paid for all the sins of those who believe in him. So God sees them as though they never sinned. If you believe this, it means you have eternal life.

And now God expects you to repent from any thoughts or conduct that violates his word. He wants all believers to be baptized and to live a life dedicated to Christ. And so on.....

John146

Jan 13, 2016
We are not to worry about how people respond to the preaching of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Instead, we are to be obedient to the preaching of the gospel and leave the results to God. Plant the seed and let God give the increase. In so doing, allow the word of God be the truth, in its simplicity, you proclaim. It’s not how well you explain it. Faith come by hearing the word of God.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
When the Sower sos seed in the field, it is not seen working while het beneath the soil, but if it is germinated below eye-level, rest assured it has done its job. God bless the Sowers all, amen...

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
You are assuming the lady really wanted to hear about Jesus. Her response sounds like it was just a dodge to me.

For future reference look up the Romans Road online.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
You didn't fail. God provides people more than enough opportunities in life to respond. These simple objections are typically just excuses. If one was actually worried about their soul then you see often a deathbed conversion. They are excuses because any mature Christian knows the in depth knowledge, evidence, and theological principles are so evidently true and the theological ramifications are so crucially important. Meaning if someone was truly searching for God they could easily find such knowledge. You simply was God's messenger giving them one last chance.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
You know, I have asked that and even had the nerve to wonder why John the Baptist and other Martyrs were not as significantly thought of.

Thankfully, He actually helped bring clarity. I believe it has more to do with the sinless, spotless, blemished free life He led, how He was immaculately brought into this world as the ONLY begotten Son of the living God. The who He is matters. He is the difference. He is the Only begotten Son, making Him the God who was with us, who left His Spirit with us. Only His sacrifice was going to reconcile us to God. Also as pointed out by another, because of the who He is, He was resurrected. WoW, may we never stop magnifying our Lord and Savior, Yeshua, Jesus Christ.

but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, so that, as it is written, “Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.”
1 Corinthians 1:24‭, ‬30‭-‬31 ESV

Also, only He, Christ will...

Now to him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you blameless before the presence of his glory with great joy, to the only God, our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion, and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen.
Jude 1:24‭-‬25 ESV

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Thanks everyone! I'll be able to do a better job of explaining Christ if I am given such an opportunity again. Also, I have felt so disappointed in myself that I failed, you made me not feel so guilty. I especially thank Lightskin. that answer gets right to the heart of Christ and would get the attention even of one who has dismissed Christ as she had.