How to get Answers to Prayer (#1)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

KelbyofGod

Oct 8, 2017
We've probably all heard that we are supposed to pray. And we've probably also heard that God is able to do anything. And possibly we've even tried praying and discovered that our prayers did not achieve the results we were hoping for. That can be disheartening.

Rather than having someone make excuses or accusations as to why it didn't work, wouldn't it be nice if someone told us how to actually GET it to work?

The purpose of his thread is to share how to pray EFFECTIVELY. Effective is defined as: "Successful in producing a desired or intended result". The bible says "The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much" James 5:16 KJV .

• If you'd like your prayers to work like that, you might want to explore this thread (cautiously, prudently).
  • If you've ever prayed in a way that produced results, I invite you to share (cautiously, prudently) what you were praying for, how God answered, and what factors you feel allowed God to answer that particular prayer. That way others can benefit as well.

A FEW CAUTIONS:
Caution #1: You won't be able to trust everything you hear, read or are told in this thread. The only one you can trust fully is God himself. I encourage you to ask for His involvement and protection.

Caution #2: There are some who don't want you to know how to get answers from God. For example:
  • Some will try to dissuade you from believing that more is possible (more than what they personally have experienced or have allowed themselves to believe).
  • Others will try to discredit PEOPLE who share testimonies of what God has done... (But prayer isn't about how good or bad PEOPLE are...it's about YOU asking GOD to do something in a WAY that produces RESULTS. The person who tells you how they got prayer to work is most likely flawed, faulty, and a sinner on top of that. In fact, it may have been those very characteristics that caused their need to learn how to pray in the first place. )
  • Others will try to distract from the truth by posting bogus stories, by arguing, by talking about anything except how to get prayer to WORK.
  • Others will simply try to get you to lower your expectations to where God doesn't actually have to do anything. (usually because they don't know how to get God to do anything. lol)
Don't worry about nay-sayers. But do ask yourself: "If I listen to them (or do what they said), will that make my prayers more effective?

Happy praying and sharing!

Love in Jesus,
Kelby

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
The only effective prayer is one that is aligned with God's will and desire.

KelbyofGod

Oct 8, 2017
The only effective prayer is one that is aligned with God's will and desire.
True, but also vague. Would you be willing to share a specific aspect of God's will you were able to line up with that allowing a particular prayer to be answered?

Love in Jesus,
Kelby

M

morefaithrequired

Not sure i want to read and respond to such a heavy post on Christmas Day.
But I agree prayer needs to be talked about.
sometimes i think praying the Lords Prayer as a chant so it becomes rhythmical is a better way to communicate with Him.

KelbyofGod

Oct 8, 2017
One thing I've learned is that it's OK to hold God to his promises. (Promises are not only a gift, but something you have the right to expect to be performed.)

And I apologize in that I'm going to start by sharing one of those stories that some will struggle to believe.

Here's the essence of what happened:

Right after I got baptized and received the Holy Ghost, they said "Praise God, now you're a believer." Later that week, my girlfriend (whose house we were in at the time) had fallen asleep on the floor with her 2 kids after playing with them. When she'd moved around the floor, her knees would pop and snap and it caused her significant pain. (I'd asked). Plus, she'd said she had trouble with her knees several times before that.

As she slept, I was pondering what they'd said after I got baptized, etc.

Being somewhat skeptical, I decided to put it to the test. So I said to God "You said that the believers will lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.They said I'm a believer now that I've been baptized and received the Holy Ghost. What you DIDN'T say was that the person had to be awake when you pray for them. So I'm laying hands on her (as a believer) and asking you to heal her in Jesus name." Then I basically just went back to whatever I was doing and waited to see the result.

When she woke up and started to crawl around again, I noticed her knees weren't popping so I asked her if they hurt anymore. Nope. And she said she had no pain either. And she's not mentioned or exhibitied any similar knee pain or trouble since. (more than 20 years)

Since then I've used the concept that if God promises it, we have a right to hold him to his promises. That is one thing that works.

Love in Jesus,
Kelby

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
I think at times we need to be quiet and listen.. Probably most of the time I would say. Here's one example:

I remember a few years ago, a friend of ours was not far off giving birth, they could feel that the baby was in a breached position and doctors decided that she would need a caesarian. So she text a bunch of us asking that we would pray that the Lord would guide the doctors hands (I've heard that request a lot since then and I don't understand it lol) anyway, I started praying asking God that same thing. Whilst I was praying, I heard Holy Spirit say, pray the baby turns around. I kept going with the guide the doctors hand prayer, and then I heard it again, and again. I didn't understand but I changed my prayer to that the baby would turn around (I didn't actually know what breached meant at that time) then I felt a peace and no longer needed to pray.

The next morning, I received a text that when they did a last ultrasound before the caesarean procedure, much to the doctors and midwife's surprise, the baby was properly engaged and was born normally (without the need for caesarean)

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
One thing I've learned is that it's OK to hold God to his promises. (Promises are not only a gift, but something you have the right to expect to be performed.)

And I apologize in that I'm going to start by sharing one of those stories that some will struggle to believe.

Here's the essence of what happened:

Right after I got baptized and received the Holy Ghost, they said "Praise God, now you're a believer." Later that week, my girlfriend (whose house we were in at the time) had fallen asleep on the floor with her 2 kids after playing with them. When she'd moved around the floor, her knees would pop and snap and it caused her significant pain. (I'd asked). Plus, she'd said she had trouble with her knees several times before that.

As she slept, I was pondering what they'd said after I got baptized, etc.

Being somewhat skeptical, I decided to put it to the test. So I said to God "You said that the believers will lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.They said I'm a believer now that I've been baptized and received the Holy Ghost. What you DIDN'T say was that the person had to be awake when you pray for them. So I'm laying hands on her (as a believer) and asking you to heal her in Jesus name." Then I basically just went back to whatever I was doing and waited to see the result.

When she woke up and started to crawl around again, I noticed her knees weren't popping so I asked her if they hurt anymore. Nope. And she said she had no pain either. And she's not mentioned or exhibitied any similar knee pain or trouble since. (more than 20 years)

Since then I've used the concept that if God promises it, we have a right to hold him to his promises. That is one thing that works.

Love in Jesus,
Kelby
I don't believe that God ever promised to immediately answer a prayer but I'm glad that your girlfriend's knees were OK. From my own personal experience and observation most prayers of healing are not answered immediately or at all. This does not necessarily mean that there was a lack of faith but rather it was not God's time to provide healing.

Sep 3, 2016
Let me be very clear! Without Faith in Christ and the Finished Work at Calvary Cross (The Lamb of God), God writes void on your prayers (Gal. 2:21). There are not many Righteous men and women in this world.

The only way to God is through Jesus Christ (John 14:6)...the only way to Jesus Christ is by the Means of the Cross (Luke 14:27). The only way to the Cross is a denial of self (Luke 9:23). If any person tries to come any other way, Jesus says, "they are a thief and a robber" (John 10:1).

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Let me be very clear! Without Faith in Christ and the Finished Work at Calvary Cross (The Lamb of God), God writes void on your prayers (Gal. 2:21).
Hogwash and codswollop. Galatians 2:21 says nothing of the sort.

The Old Testament is replete with people who prayed to God and whose prayers were heard and answered, and they knew nothing of the cross.

KelbyofGod

Oct 8, 2017
I don't believe that God ever promised to immediately answer a prayer but I'm glad that your girlfriend's knees were OK. From my own personal experience and observation most prayers of healing are not answered immediately or at all. This does not necessarily mean that there was a lack of faith but rather it was not God's time to provide healing.
Yup. That's another aspect I've noticed, too. He often doesn't promise a "when", just that it will happen. (Although he does specify on some occasions, such as in the case of some promised babies, saying "at this set time in the next year".)

What I've noticed in practice is that if you make your request open-ended, choosing only to honestly believe him to handle it, and let him decide when (and if, and how) to do it...he does it much more quickly than if you try to pressure him for a "right NOW" answer.

Also, I think people are missing out on a great opportunity if they don't have a list of answers on their horizons. What I mean by that is that they should have actually taken all of their current questions to God and asked him about them as if he is the all-knowing God who is willing to give gifts to his children. Then they'd have something to look forward to when going to prayer each time...watching for their arrivals.

And it doesn't hurt to renew our minds by re-reading the verses where he says he's willing to open up great mysteries to his children.

Love in Jesus,
Kelby

KelbyofGod

Oct 8, 2017
Let me be very clear! Without Faith in Christ and the Finished Work at Calvary Cross (The Lamb of God), God writes void on your prayers (Gal. 2:21). There are not many Righteous men and women in this world.

The only way to God is through Jesus Christ (John 14:6)...the only way to Jesus Christ is by the Means of the Cross (Luke 14:27). The only way to the Cross is a denial of self (Luke 9:23). If any person tries to come any other way, Jesus says, "they are a thief and a robber" (John 10:1).
Hi MOTC,

I'm going to keep calling people out on this point....

If you believe you've found the way to do what you suggest is required, please share a specific example of how you lined up with the requirement, and specifically how God answered your prayer.

Love in Jesus,
Kelby

KelbyofGod

Oct 8, 2017
I'll share something God showed me about getting answers to prayer. He showed me that getting answers to prayer is a lot like learning how to whistle, or finding a 4-leaf clover in a clover field. The rules are simple but if you give up before you succeed, it won't work for you.

Love in Jesus,
Kelby

KelbyofGod

Oct 8, 2017
I think at times we need to be quiet and listen.. Probably most of the time I would say. Here's one example:

I remember a few years ago, a friend of ours was not far off giving birth, they could feel that the baby was in a breached position and doctors decided that she would need a caesarian. So she text a bunch of us asking that we would pray that the Lord would guide the doctors hands (I've heard that request a lot since then and I don't understand it lol) anyway, I started praying asking God that same thing. Whilst I was praying, I heard Holy Spirit say, pray the baby turns around. I kept going with the guide the doctors hand prayer, and then I heard it again, and again. I didn't understand but I changed my prayer to that the baby would turn around (I didn't actually know what breached meant at that time) then I felt a peace and no longer needed to pray.

The next morning, I received a text that when they did a last ultrasound before the caesarean procedure, much to the doctors and midwife's surprise, the baby was properly engaged and was born normally (without the need for caesarean)
Yup. God is awesome like that. He can lead us what to pray...even if it doesn't make sense to us at the time.

Love in Jesus,
Kelby

KelbyofGod

Oct 8, 2017
I'll share something God showed me about getting answers to prayer. He showed me that getting answers to prayer is a lot like learning how to whistle, or finding a 4-leaf clover in a clover field. The rules are simple but if you give up before you succeed, it won't work for you.

Love in Jesus,
Kelby
Or maybe I should have said "it won't benefit you much". Sometimes when God drops something into your heart, you understand his meaning but it's not always something you can directly put into words to explain to others.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011

I wish you would quote the Bible, in context, when you make grandiose statements like this!

Where does it say it is ok to hold God to his promises?

You have a very narrow and petty sense concerning the sovereignty of God!

God can do anything he wants, although he doesn't do anything outside of the limitations he has placed on himself. So God does not lie, because he is honest and ethical. God is all powerful, there is nothing he can't do, except when he limits himself.

Nobody manipulated the Creator of the universe. How very small your god must be, that you have a false, twisted belief that you can make God do anything. The God I serve can be trusted whether he keeps his promises or not. He may have an even better plan than keeping a promise that you think he made.

So, I will await the verse that says "we can hold God to his promise," in the Bible. Thanks!

KelbyofGod

Oct 8, 2017
Malachi 3:10 - King James Version
Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.
He's kinda daring you/me/us to hold him to his word on this to see if he keeps his promises or not. Spoiler Alert: He does. :)

BTW, are you looking for failure or success? (because you're posting suggests you were hoping for failure)

If success, would you please share a success story where you were able to get prayer to work + what was it that caused that particular prayer to be successful? (because I am looking for success, and I know God wants to give success to you in this area if he hasn't already)

Love in Jesus,
Kelby

KelbyofGod

Oct 8, 2017
You have a very narrow and petty sense concerning the sovereignty of God!
Hi Angela,

The previous post was for you too, but it didn't show any quoted material because of how your posting was formatted.

I quoted this piece here because you suggested that I have a narrow view of God (that apparently is different than your own view) and suggest that my view is errant and should be a hindrance. But I have a long track record of God answering my prayers. So I'll answer this difference the way the bible says I can:
James 2:18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
I'm basically laying out that James 2:18 challenge to those who look for errors rather than support.

Honestly, I wasn't expecting so much negativity so soon (not speaking only of what you shared). Please beware that you don't fall into the same trap Cain did...where you get angry when what someone else does is working better than what you've been doing. I think you to be better than that.

Love in Jesus,
Kelby

Jan 12, 2019
Hi Angela,

The previous post was for you too, but it didn't show any quoted material because of how your posting was formatted.

I quoted this piece here because you suggested that I have a narrow view of God (that apparently is different than your own view) and suggest that my view is errant and should be a hindrance. But I have a long track record of God answering my prayers. So I'll answer this difference the way the bible says I can:
James 2:18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
I'm basically laying out that James 2:18 challenge to those who look for errors rather than support.

Honestly, I wasn't expecting so much negativity so soon (not speaking only of what you shared). Please beware that you don't fall into the same trap Cain did...where you get angry when what someone else does is working better than what you've been doing. I think you to be better than that.

Love in Jesus,
Kelby
You may also use Isaiah 43:26 for your "holding God to his promises". :)

Tinkerbell725

Jul 19, 2014
Philippines Age 40
Prayer is very important in the Christian life. It is more important than your Bible reading, your church attendance, soul winning and other activities we do for God. Because in those activities we are the ones in action. But in prayer it is God who is in action. In prayer is where we see God's power. If we lack in prayer then there is lack of power in our lives. God always answer our prayers. Either with a yes, a no, or a maybe/wait. If the answer is no, then just trust God that it is for your own good.

In my prayers, I had more yes answers than no's. Recently, I prayed that God would heal my dying uncle. It was miraculous that he was healed despite his good as dead condition.

There are times when God surprises me when His answer is delayed. Times when it was against all odds and when I was not expecting anymore, suddenly the answer came like a miracle.

The secrets to a powerful and effective prayer:

1. Spirit filled prayer - Luke 11:13

2. Seek God's glory - Numbers 14:11-20

Moses was able to change God's mind. (Calvinists will surely disagree) God was about to destroy the evil people but God held back his anger because Moses pleaded for the sake of God's glory. This situation also happened when Abraham pleaded that God will spare Lot and his family in Sodom and Gomorrah.

3. Claim His promises - quote verses

4. Pray without ceasing - 1 Thes 5:17

5. Have faith - Matt 17:20

6. Fasting - Ps 107:24

7. Be humble. Pride gets in the way of our communication line with God

8. Forgive so that your prayers will be answered.

E

eternally-gratefull

Amen your will be done

its not always Gods will to heal,