How to identify if you are being tested by God or being punished by Him?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

jameen

Feb 5, 2018
Manila
How to know if a misfortune that comes to you is either a test of God or punishment from God?

Feb 5, 2017
You know based on how strong your faith was at the time.

If your faith was strong, and from your perspective something bad happened, then it happened for a reason. And this is a test of your faith.

If your faith was weak, or you had no faith at all, full of doubt, then misfortune signals that you need to have more faith.

Either way, more faith is the answer.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
There are more options than the two provided. God could be correcting, not punishing or testing, and the longer you keep trying to go your own way the more trouble you have. Or the devil could be resisting something you are doing that is against him.

Or it could just be life. This world still has some nice things, but it is fundamentally broken. Sometimes things are just bad - bad accidents, bad people, bad situations - with neither God nor satan to blame.

JonahLynx

Dec 28, 2014
I'm going to come at this from a different angle and say it actually doesn't matter which one it is because your response should be the same (humility, repentance of sins, & faith in Christ). As long as God has mercy on you to live, then there is a chance to be saved and sanctified.

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
God no longer punishes people. He has given all authority to Jesus and there is no condemnation in Jesus...

Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.
(Matthew 28:18 NIV)

So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus.
(Romans 8:1 NLT)

...so it's always a test, not a punishment.

jameen

Feb 5, 2018
Manila
God no longer punishes people. He has given all authority to Jesus and there is no condemnation in Jesus...

Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.

God punishes even his children if they do something wrong

Hebrews 12:5 And you have forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as children—“My child, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, or lose heart when you are punished by him;

Feb 28, 2016
if one is a true Christian and open to God's Love
then The Holy Spirit will speak to your heart -
if one is walking-in and using their Faith,
then there-in will abide your answer...

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
God punishes even his children if they do something wrong

Hebrews 12:5 And you have forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as children—“My child, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, or lose heart when you are punished by him;
What translation are you using? I just looked at 20+ translations and every one said correct, reprove, or rebuke. NONE of them said punish.

Our sins were judged and punished on the cross, God now corrects and instructs us. Admittedly, sometimes that is very painful, but it's not punishment, which is tied up with condemnation.

Solemateleft

Honor, Courage, Commitment
Jun 25, 2017
Will anyone answer my question?
IMHO, I believe that God allows us to experience the low points of life in order to teach us lessons we could not learn in any other way.
He sometimes takes us into troubled waters - not to drown us but to teach us...

So in either case of your inquiry - our walk along our Journey with HIM is always intended to guide us and keep us upon a path toward our salvation...

S

selfdissolving

Will anyone answer my question?
Hebrews 12 New International Version (NIV)
12 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us,2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame,and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
4 In your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood.5 And have you completely forgotten this word of encouragement that addresses you as a father addresses his son? It says,
“My son, do not make light of the Lord’s discipline,
and do not lose heart when he rebukes you,
6 because the Lord disciplines the one he loves,
and he chastens everyone he accepts as his son.”[a]
7 Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as his children. For what children are not disciplined by their father? 8 If you are not disciplined—and everyone undergoes discipline—then you are not legitimate, not true sons and daughters at all. 9 Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of spirits and live! 10 They disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, in order that we may share in his holiness. 11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

I think the question you are really asking is "how do I found out if God is mad at me or not?"

The answer is: if you are redeemed, he's not mad at you at all. On account of his Son you are whiter than snow in his eyes.

Jun 14, 2016
Mm.. I hear you.

One thing I do know and hold onto when times are tough or things don’t make sense is Romans 8:28 (NKJV)
And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

I know that no matter what, because I love God, because I’m seeking Him and His ways that He is working out every situation for my good.
God’s Word is tested, tried and true and will never fail. It is a precious thing we have as believers, the words and promises that come from God. He does not change, He remains the same. His ways are higher than ours and His thoughts higher than ours, meaning His perspective is pure, clear and ours narrow and unclear. Like a parent and a child. A child may want to do something, let’s say, eat a diet full of candy, breakfast lunch and dinner, and the parent may instruct them otherwise, having them eat foods that will nourish the body since they have wisdom in the particular situation. It may not make sense to the child, and the child may throw a fit, but ultimately the parent knows what will truly benefit the child.
God is the perfect, ultimate Father who is for us and not against us and will use all situations to teach, grow, stretch, mold and refine us. He is sovereign.

TM19782017

Dec 15, 2018
How to know if a misfortune that comes to you is either a test of God or punishment from God?
Why does how you see it matter?

I believe that if we are facing some form of resistance, then this is an area where improvement is needed most.
A lot of times, it is so difficult to swallow your pride and accept that things aren't going according to your plan.
Accepting the direction you are going is critical in finding happiness.

Remember Karate Kid, Mr Miyagi was having Daniel do things that to HIM seemed repetitive, useless and, slave like. What Daniel could not see was where Mr. Miyagi was taking him. To exactly where he wanted and needed to be.

It is tough to do but submitting to things that you may not understand in the moment, is essential to growing. In time, the answer may be revealed but, buckle your seat belt and enjoy the ride!

Lighthearted

Oct 17, 2016

I agree with zero. Our sins have consequences. Others may sin and their consequences may affect us...that's when I believe we are put to the test. Everything is about learning, growing, faith, and love. Sin is very alive in this world, the sin is why we have valleys in our lives. Disease for instance isn't from God, but He will use it for His Glory in some way!

Oct 12, 2012
To thwart; as in, God has you right where He wants you, in a head lock! Usually because He's after something different then you are?😋