I Believe there's a HUGE difference between Catholicism and Christianity.

• Thread starter BlackTigress777
  • Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 14, 2009
He believes in works for salvation.

He stated in another forum that he's not been born again.

God should come first then neighbor second.

"You must be born again!"

(Mediate - please don't take offense to this, I'm just trying to stress that it's important to be born again)
Born again in what form? As a denominational ritual and trait?

Katy let me ask you, what ritual did Jesus adore?

Let me ask you, did Jesus say to the prostitute Mary, 'Mary, you must invite me into your heart and call yourself born again?'

Or did He bring her with Him to work and heal and do as the Father asks of us?

I am no circumstantial believer. My faith is not based on what ritual i have performed or what denomination I am, nor on what section I brand myself as part of. Be it Christian or Muslim or Buddhist or Hindu.

Humanity are humanity. Under God and illusion that blinds us to Him.

What I suggest for you is a study of oneness followed by a study of self.

My shortcomings belong to God, not to you.

W

wwjd_kilden

Sorry for interfering, but I don't see the problem of this born again thing:

Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of Godchildren born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.

Wouldn't that qualify as being born again, simply by accepting Christ?

Dec 14, 2009
Is accepting Christ to do with saying it? Or proving it?

Anyone can speak words.

M

metanoia

To Metanoia and any other new members who happen to be Catholic. I meant no offense to you or your beliefs. I was very dissatisfied with what I found, and since I have decided to follow our Lord I have found quite a lot of those beliefs to be false. The basis of the Catholic church was indeed born again Christians, but through Constantine and man relying on his own understanding, it has degenerated through the years to the point that it is hardly recognizable from original Christianity. My blessings on you if you really have made a commitment to follow the Lord and are truly seeking the Truth. I'm sure you will find it, and welcome to the forum. Mike
Mike, I am not at all offended when someone does not agree with Catholicism. I respect honest opposition. As long as you're respectful you don't have to worry about offending me. :)

But I do find the idea that Catholicism is not Christianity historically untenable. Where was Christianity for so many years? That is always my question. As I proposed in my last post, either the Spirit of truth led the Church into all truth, or He didn't. We have to look at Jesus' promises to the Church and ask if He kept them.

R

rauleetoe

Catholicism is damning, Christianity is not. How's that for a simple answer?
I personally think many who look down upon catholicosm may be abit surprised as to how many catholics they will find in.heaven...and how many protestants will not be in heaven..its about faith in Jesus..being holy...and doing right more than.being right..btw i am.not catholic..yet you dont gave to look far to see evil.men.who protestants looked up to as our fathers in the faith..namely Luther..Calvin...uetc...u i dont care how right your theology is...you better have fruit..pentecostals n charismatics look for signs and focus on tge gifts of the spirit..calvinists look to election/decree..you need fruit..i dont care what label you got..you either are genuine or not..end of story

R

rauleetoe

Is accepting Christ, a human decision?
i would say an act of believing is a choice..adam.and eve had a choice..we make choices each ammmnd every day...

Jan 23, 2011
Mike, I am not at all offended when someone does not agree with Catholicism. I respect honest opposition. As long as you're respectful you don't have to worry about offending me. :)

But I do find the idea that Catholicism is not Christianity historically untenable. Where was Christianity for so many years? That is always my question. As I proposed in my last post, either the Spirit of truth led the Church into all truth, or He didn't. We have to look at Jesus' promises to the Church and ask if He kept them.
Historically, your right. If you have to say whether Protestantism or Catholicism is "true" Christianity (which is a silly disctinction to make), Catholicism definitely has a lot more weight behind it. It was founded around 300 A.D in the Council of Nicea, arising out of the church established by Paul and Peter. The hierarchical structure with the Pope, Cardinals and the like was already in place before this, though not to the extent it would later develop. It is, historically, the literal church of christ. The thing is, power corrupts, especially over time.

After the fall of the Empire, the church became the pre-eminent authority of Europe, and remained that way for over 1000 years. While the church itself wasn't necessarily bad, it picked up a lot of baggage, and nepotism and corruption was rampant, even at the top. That's one of the main reasons the Reformation started. It wanted to reform the church, not start a new one.

Either way, the notion that one form of Christianity is the "true" or "correct" form is silly to me. I dont know of a single major religious sect that doesn't have some form of fracturing or denominationalism. While the three major groups of christianity have their differences, their core beliefs are the same, namely that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and that he came to earth to die for our sins. Most of the other issues are really either historical or cultural

tl;dr stop fussing about it, no sect is better then any other

Katy-follower

Jun 25, 2011
Either way, the notion that one form of Christianity is the "true" or "correct" form is silly to me. I dont know of a single major religious sect that doesn't have some form of fracturing or denominationalism. While the three major groups of christianity have their differences, their core beliefs are the same, namely that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and that he came to earth to die for our sins. Most of the other issues are really either historical or cultural

tl;dr stop fussing about it, no sect is better then any other
I have to disagree. You will find that all "christian" groups acknowledge Jesus as the son of God who died for our sins. However, not all Christian groups are saved (born again). This is the difference.

We are saved by grace through faith (not works). If a person believes works play a part in salvation they are not having faith alone. There is a major wall going up to stop them from being saved. A person can say all they want that they believe Jesus died for their sins but if they depend on their works then their actions are not demonstrating faith alone in Christ's work on the cross to save us. Faith alone means to look to Christ and let go of everything else. Nothing we do can save us. We need to let go of all these other things around us.

When it comes to minor differences between the denominations, like prophecy/end times, etc, then fair enough that there will be differing opinions, but these are non salvation differences. When it comes to salvation it's an important one to get right. Unfortunately, not all denominations hold to the one truth, that we are saved by faith alone (not works). Works are the fruit of our salvation. They come after salvation. They are prepared for us in advance by God.

We must be born again!!!!!

R

rauleetoe

I have to disagree. You will find that all "christian" groups acknowledge Jesus as the son of God who died for our sins. However, not all Christian groups are saved (born again). This is the difference.

We are saved by grace through faith (not works). If a person believes works play a part in salvation they are not having faith alone. There is a major wall going up to stop them from being saved. A person can say all they want that they believe Jesus died for their sins but if they depend on their works then their actions are not demonstrating faith alone in Christ's work on the cross to save us. Faith alone means to look to Christ and let go of everything else. Nothing we do can save us. We need to let go of all these other things around us.

When it comes to minor differences between the denominations, like prophecy/end times, etc, then fair enough that there will be differing opinions, but these are non salvation differences. When it comes to salvation it's an important one to get right. Unfortunately, not all denominations hold to the one truth, that we are saved by faith alone (not works). Works are the fruit of our salvation. They come after salvation. They are prepared for us in advance by God.

We must be born again!!!!!
i hear you, but what does it say in hebrews 12:14..to pursue peace and consecration..without which no one will see God!..work out your salvation with fear and trembling...phillipians2:12,work.out your own.salvation with fear and trembling...we should examine ourselves to see if we are in the faith, ans not reky on what is supposedly Good theology or right soteriology..we only get one shot to get this right, and you had better known that you know you are in right standing with God, id be carefull to just flippantlu thriw grace around like its a cheap dollar tree item..Jesus paid a high price for our sins..and not only our sins,but of the whole world.lets start living like we believe it. 1john2:2, collosians3:3;7