I Didn't Know That

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
P

persistent

SlashGear

FollowView Profile
The Big Electric Car Charging Problem Experts Say Is Getting Worse
Daniel Feininger - Yesterday 4:07 PM

P

persistent

Daniel Feininger - Yesterday 4:07 PM
React

Electric cars are, in no uncertain terms, the way of the future. Electric vehicles have been dreamt about for almost 200 years, with the first prototype coming about in 1832, according to the Energy Saving Trust. Since then, though, the combustion engine has taken the world by storm and revolutionized the way people and goods move around the planet, but electric cars are now making a resurgence in the marketplace.

charging an electric car© Blue Planet Studio/Shutterstock

The Prodigal Prophet: Jonah And The Mystery Of God's Mercy
Ad
Christianbook.com

These days, electric vehicles can withstand the same kinds of physical demands that a gasoline or diesel powered car was once required for. Electric vehicles are traveling farther and performing better than ever before and, with states like California introducing legislation to ban sales of new gasoline powered vehicles by 2035, there's going to be an undeniable shift in the way people commute and travel more broadly in the very near future.
These dramatic changes are good for the environment, but they bring with them the potential for a new type of problem that must be accounted for and solved. Specifically, a surge in electric vehicles taking to the roads means a drastic uptick in charging demands and overall electricity use across the consumer and corporate marketplaces alike. Handling this additional charging burden will be crucial to facilitating a relatively seamless transition from combustion engine to electric powered vehicle as the standard mode of transportation.

Charger Availability Will Make Adoption Either Painful Or Painless

charging an EV© Have a nice day Photo/Shutterstock
It will be crucial to build and maintain significant charging infrastructure throughout the country, in order to facilitate a shift toward electric-dominated U.S. road transportation. Without critical charging infrastructure in place, renters may find themselves essentially squeezed out of the marketplace for personal transportation vehicles. Excluding a growing segment of people living in the United States from the capacity of ownership in this regard would almost certainly result in the closing off of marketplace opportunities and economic mobility for an enormous contingent of American adults: 65% of households younger than 35 currently rent, according to the Pew Research Center.

Related video: Phasing out electric cars can be done, but it’s a challenge

Phasing out electric cars can be done, but it’s a challenge

Alternatively, additional legislation could be formulated to entice landlords to include charging equipment in homes and apartments that renters can't effectively or legally alter on their own. Independent of household modernizations, efforts to introduce vast charging resources for densely populated communities and renters is progressing in California and elsewhere.
Another important feature in charging infrastructure revolves around speed. The ability to charge an electric car quickly will be essential to keep traffic flowing and avoid discouraging potential EV owners. Currently, most drivers must stop at a gas station, and while the time to fill a gas tank can vary widely, AudiWorld users report an average wait of roughly 3 to 4 minutes. Comparatively, Pod Point notes, you can add a range of about 100 miles to an EV in roughly 35 minutes with a rapid charger.

Daytime Charging Must Dominate The EV Marketplace

an EV charging station© Grisha Bruev/Shutterstock
In addition to the stressors that will need to be accounted for when re-imagining the national automotive marketplace, Stanford University has conducted significant research into grid usage and suggests that daytime charging must become the standard. Currently, electric vehicle drivers typically install charging equipment at home and plug in their vehicle at night to prepare for daily commutes to work and other chores. Stanford notes that once EV ownership arrives at mass adoption, however, nighttime charging alone could increase peak electricity usage by as much as 25%.
That's problematic for two reasons. First, charging that number of EVs at night could put more demand on the grid than clean energy installations like solar panels can provide. Though solar is growing in prevalence across homes in California and elsewhere, surging night charging demands might force gas power stations back online. Secondly, this spike in demand on a nightly basis will place additional stress on the grid itself, potentially leading to substantial power outages and infrastructure failures akin to the one that froze Texas in 2021 (via Science Direct).
This means that individual drivers, local businesses -- as both service providers and employers -- and relevant authorities will need to work as a cohesive unit to establish a new normal moving forward. While electric vehicles will play a key role in decarbonizing transportation, reaping the benefits from that will be more complicated than coaxing drivers out of their gas cars and trucks, regardless of how much is offered in EV tax credits and incentives.
Read this next: EV Charging Explained: The Fastest Chargers At Home And On The Road

Attachments

P

persistent

WILL 'ALL' ELECTRIC PRICES GO UP
Why Electric Car Charging Is Getting Extremely Expensive
Tiffany Velasquez - Yesterday 12:55 PM
React

The electric car industry is being forecasted to increase by around 31,000 units in the next few years. Additionally, electric car charging costs are already increasing. With some states, like California, already announcing the banning of selling gas-powered vehicles, an already strained electrical grid, and a constant increase in demand for electricity, it doesn't come as a shock that there is a rise in electric car charging costs.

Why Electric Car Charging Is Getting Extremely Expensive © Provided by Tell Me Best
Recently, in the United States, high inflation has been felt in nearly every sector. Housing costs, grocery costs, oil and gas, and even basic utility costs have skyrocketed. The global supply chain disruption has also created a ripple effect that is negatively impacting the economy, adding to the rising cost of everything. Electric companies are increasing demands, increasing the costs for operation, and making it nearly impossible to install charging stations, even as the demand increases.
All these factors combined are contributing to the increasing electric car charging costs. In some states, like Texas, residents are constantly being advised to conserve their electricity use. In the scorching summer months, with temperatures rising above 100 degrees, residents were asked to increase their thermostats to 85 degrees while they are not home.

electric car charging costs power collapse blackouts© Provided by Tell Me Best

Attachments

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
In Eden we were. When we got kicked out of Eden, God modified it slightly and added animals to the menu. Apparently in a broken world that no longer functions perfectly, we need more protein.

On the bright side, when God makes a new world that once again functions perfectly, we will all go back to being herbivores. I like a good turkey or roast beef sandwich as much as the next guy, but I'm looking forward to the day when I don't need it anymore.
It wasn't until after the flood that meat was added to the menu.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I sit corrected. (It's early and I'm too lazy to stand corrected.)

It was added after Eden though.

I wonder if animals hunted other animals between Eden and the ark. That could explain how Noah got them all to live together without any incidents.

P

persistent

Elon Musk is getting his two cents in regarding the economy. Does any one know when he will be leaving for Mars? Where and what is his brother doing?

P

persistent

Discovery of 'fingerprint' confirms alarming predictions of Greenland ice sheet melt
Sarah Sloat - Yesterday 1:00 PM

Scientists now have unambiguous proof that a phenomenon critical to predicting the impact of climate change exists.
Researchers announced Thursday that they had detected the sea level “fingerprint” of the Greenland ice sheet melt, pinpointing the unique pattern of sea level change linked to the melting ice.

The Prodigal Prophet Jonah And The Mystery Of God's Mercy Format:
Ad
eBay

It’s the first time such a fingerprint has been definitively measured. While scientists agreed these fingerprints theoretically exist, the dynamic nature of the ocean had made it difficult to identify them confidently — until now.
The findings, possible with the help of high-resolution satellite observations, detail the unique pattern of sea level change linked to the Greenland ice sheet. The fingerprints are then factored into models to predict overall sea level rise.
This discovery confirms and adds confidence to the sea-level changes forecast by computational models. These predictions are critical for understanding the consequences of climate change and preparing for future hazards. It is now more than clear that the melting of the Greenland ice sheet is accelerating, said Sophie Coulson a postdoctoral fellow at Los Alamos National Laboratory. Coulson is the lead author of the study that led to the findings, which were published in the journal Science.

Attachments

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I call bull on that one. They are full of natural sugar. It's not aspartame and it will affect your blood sugar.

Unless you are talking about those atrocities in the supermarket... They don't taste sweet at all and you could probably eat a bucket of them without perceptibly affecting your blood sugar. But I do not consider them real strawberries.

If you get them from a roadside stand and they taste as sweet as though you had already coated them with sugar, they will definitely affect your blood sugar.

P

persistent

I call bull on that one. They are full of natural sugar. It's not aspartame and it will affect your blood sugar.

Unless you are talking about those atrocities in the supermarket... They don't taste sweet at all and you could probably eat a bucket of them without perceptibly affecting your blood sugar. But I do not consider them real strawberries.

If you get them from a roadside stand and they taste as sweet as though you had already coated them with sugar, they will definitely affect your blood sugar.
Lynx your reply does not sound very 'ERUDITE'. Aspartame is an artificial sweetener, sold under brand names such as NutraSweet® and Equal®. What that has to do with the nutritionist's claim is not apparent. I would venture that her claim may be suspect. How did she get sufficient number of participants to eat only sugar from strawberries? Possibly had participants eat a number of strawberries and then measure blood sugar levels? I have heard people state that 'fructose', i.e. sugar from fruit, is the same as cane sourced sugar. With so many people afflicted with diabetes and no 'honest' interest in addressing the source of the disorder it seems the individual is on their own. My suspicion is that some of the natural sources of sugars in the natural state are not harmful.
29And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat. 30And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so. 31And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

Fructose, or fruit sugar, is a ketonic simple sugar found in many plants, where it is often bonded to glucose to form the disaccharide sucrose.

P

persistent

Earthquake Exposes Large Cache Of Rare Death Valley Fish
Knewz - 2h ago
By Richard Horgan

Earthquake Exposes Large Cache Of Rare Death Valley Fish© Knewz
Los Angeles (Knewz) — It sounds like the opening of a horror movie.
In the wake of a powerful 7.6 earthquake in Mexico, four-foot waves slosh around a cave in Death Valley and expose a school of Devils Hole Pupfish. But fear not, this was actually good news.
The action of the waves removed algae, invertebrates and other organic matter from a shallow shelf in the cave that the Pupfish use to forage and spawn. As a result, when scientists outfitted with surface visual counters and, in some cases, scuba gear, conducted a post-earthquake count, the Devils Hole Pupfish population numbered 263.
Watch moment earthquake hits Mexico

“I have never seen the population this robust before,” said Brandon Senger, Supervising Fisheries Biologist for the Nevada Department of Wildlife, who has been conducting scuba-counts at Devils Hole since 2014. “We scuba-counted more fish on one level than we have in total in previous counts.”

The Prodigal Prophet: Jonah And The Mystery Of God's Mercy
Ad
eBay

The species has the smallest range of any vertebrate species on the planet, existing in the upper 80 feet of the deep-water cavern. The post-earthquake count of 263 is the highest measured total since September 2003.
Prior to 2003, the Pupfish population was averaging around 90. The new, higher count may reflect changes to the ecosystem.
And it’s not just the numbers that excited scientists, it’s also the fish behavior observed. The fish were in what was deemed “remarkable” condition and many pairs of spawning or courting Pupfish were also observed. (Who knows, maybe earthquakes get them in the mood.)
The all-time low count of Devils Hole Pupfish in this cavern was 35, so one can understand why scientists are talking up a near-ten-fold increase. The next count will be conducted in the spring of 2023.
“It’s exciting to see the numbers gradually increasing over recent years,” said Michael Schwemm, Senior Fish Biologist for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. “The ongoing trend, especial in this highly variable population, makes clear that habitat conditions have changed in a good way since the lowest counts, and we’re excited about the future directions for research and recovery.”

Attachments

P

persistent

China spins up giant battery built with US-patented tech
Brandon Vigliarolo - 8h ago
1664597306415.png

China spins up giant battery built with US-patented tech© Provided by The Register
World's largest VRFB was built with inadvertent help from the Department of Energy
The world's largest vanadium redox flow battery (VRFB) has been connected to the grid in Dalian, China, where it was built using technology patented in the United States.…
With a current capacity of 100MW/400MWh and plans to double it, the Dalian VRFB will reportedly be able to meet the daily energy needs of 200,000 people, the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) said. The battery will be used to manage supplies during peak power demand periods, and could allow electricity companies in the Dalian region to adopt more renewables to feed the system.
VRFBs are free of lithium-ion and are far safer than traditional batteries, instead relying on mixtures of liquid electrolytes and acids. VRFBs can hold a charge for far longer than traditional batteries as well, and are also designed to be charged and discharged for decades without degrading.

The Dalian VRFB dwarfs other projects – Australia's largest VRFB only boasts 2MW/8MWh of capacity, and a similar test project in the San Diego area recently stood up a similarly sized battery. Other large VRFB projects are still far smaller, like the Sumitomo battery in Hokkaido, Japan, that was brought online earlier this year. It has a capacity of 17MW/51MWh and was described as one of the world's largest VRFBs.

Prodigal Prophet : Jonah And The Mystery Of God's Mercy, Hardcover By
Ad
eBay

As reported in August, the VRFB built in Dalian appears to be one designed at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) that cost US taxpayers $15 million dollars to develop, and for which the US government owns the patent.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Lynx your reply does not sound very 'ERUDITE'. Aspartame is an artificial sweetener, sold under brand names such as NutraSweet® and Equal®. What that has to do with the nutritionist's claim is not apparent. I would venture that her claim may be suspect. How did she get sufficient number of participants to eat only sugar from strawberries? Possibly had participants eat a number of strawberries and then measure blood sugar levels? I have heard people state that 'fructose', i.e. sugar from fruit, is the same as cane sourced sugar. With so many people afflicted with diabetes and no 'honest' interest in addressing the source of the disorder it seems the individual is on their own. My suspicion is that some of the natural sources of sugars in the natural state are not harmful.
29And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat. 30And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so. 31And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

Fructose, or fruit sugar, is a ketonic simple sugar found in many plants, where it is often bonded to glucose to form the disaccharide sucrose.
You know about fructose. How much do you know about diabetes?

I'm not a diabetic... yet... but diabetes runs strongly in my family.

Natural sugar, as in the kind found in many fruits, is not inherently harmful. But for a diabetic natural sugar is still sugar and WILL throw your blood sugar out of whack.

P

persistent

Grist

FollowView Profile
‘We can’t recycle our way out’
Samantha Wohlfeil, InvestigateWest - 2h ago
1664629917829.png
This piece was originally published by InvestigateWest.
When dealing with the life cycle of plastic, hundreds of solutions await, from alternative bioplastics that might be able to degrade themselves through the magic of fungus, to complex chemical recycling that can break plastics down to become other petroleum products or to be rebuilt good as new

Something new is brewing here
Ad
Old World Wisconsin

But as promising as chemical recycling and next-generation plastics may sound, experts also say some of the most realistic solutions to plastic pollution involve eliminating it from packaging as much as possible.
Decision-makers are asking: How can manufacturers design their plastic packaging to be recycled more easily after consumers are done with it? Should packaging all be the same color of plastic to avoid dye-based contamination in recycling processes? Could markers on different types of plastic help imaging robots at sorting facilities do their jobs better when diverting containers by type? Which products could avoid using plastic altogether?
Currently, the vast majority of plastic recycling is done by mechanical methods. First, post-consumer plastics are divided by number; for example, the PET plastic or polyethylene terephthalate commonly used for beverage bottles needs to be separated from the HDPE plastic (high-density polyethylene) that’s often used for laundry detergent containers. Each group is then often shredded and melted into pellets that can get remelted and formed into new packaging. Or different plastics can be repurposed into boards for outdoor decks or processed into fibers for carpets and clothing.

P

persistent

You know about fructose. How much do you know about diabetes?

I'm not a diabetic... yet... but diabetes runs strongly in my family.

Natural sugar, as in the kind found in many fruits, is not inherently harmful. But for a diabetic natural sugar is still sugar and WILL throw your blood sugar out of whack.
It seems that diabetes has become more pervasive in the past 50 years and seems that sugar is virtually impossible to avoid in certain products. Many people are not even aware that they are consuming so much sugar. e.g. Many people eat chocolate and peanut butter and bread. These products are more than likely using some sugar. It is only my suspicion, but possibly a reasonable suspicion that it would be virtually impossible to find people almost anywhere in the world now that do not consume sugar in these products. Even though mankind was apparently 'cursed' on expulsion from the 'Garden' I don't assume that the foods available were cursed. Is it possible that if we were eating differently the rates of diabetes would go down. I wonder if people like Amish, Hutterite and some few others eat differently and find less diabetes? I assume that most people are purchasing the same 'compromised' and processed food and 'food-like' products.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Even though mankind was apparently 'cursed' on expulsion from the 'Garden' I don't assume that the foods available were cursed. Is it possible that if we were eating differently the rates of diabetes would go down. I wonder if people like Amish, Hutterite and some few others eat differently and find less diabetes? I assume that most people are purchasing the same 'compromised' and processed food and 'food-like' products.
We humans seem to have a genius for taking what is good and pleasant, extracting the pleasant and throwing away the good.

God made all kinds of sweets, for example, and loaded them with nutrients. We extract the sweet, throw away the nutrition and then use the sweet to make other junk food taste good.

Diabetes is just one result of this habit of ours. With all the meddling we do with good foods, it's a testament to God's enduring design that our bodies still work at all.

P

persistent

. Ginger beer vs Ginger ale: Which is healthier?

Jennifer Katz
Bachelor’s Degree - Dietetics and Clinical Nutrition Services · 31 years of experience ·
USA
Ginger beer is a fermented drink. Ginger ale is a soda which usually contains added sugar. Both are similar in calories and sugar content. Neither drink is a good source of healthy nutrients.

Carl Bender
Master of Science: Biochemical and Molecular Nutrition · 6 years of experience ·
USA
Ginger beer is generally non-alcoholic or low in alcohol, while ginger ale is basically a carbonated soda. Ginger beer should be considered healthier for a few reasons. First, it is fermented, and fermented foods and drinks are known to contain beneficial compounds. Second, ginger beer actually contains ginger, while ginger ale doesn't necessarily contain any actual ginger. This means that ginger beer contains all of the health benefits of ginger, while ginger ale doesn't. Finally, ginger ale can contain a high level of sugar, and so can ginger beer, so if you are going to consume either one, make sure to enjoy them in moderation.

Janel Reeves
Master of Science in Nutritional Science · 4 years of experience ·
USA
Ginger ale is essentially a soda with flavored with ginger, while ginger beer is brewed and fermented with real ginger. Although they are produced differently, both options are similar in terms of sugar/carbohydrates. Neither are particularly healthy options.