I don't understand some Bible verses.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Victor1999

Jul 8, 2019
Hello,

If we love God we must hate everything else by comparison. Anything that would seem beneficial to a common worldly person should be counted as loss because it is not for Christ's sake. This does not mean to bully your friends and family, but it means that you must surrender everything you have to Him completely including your relationships with even your family. If you grew up in a Christian home this may not make much sense to you, but for many people following Christ means total rejection by family and former friends. If you love your mother for example, very much, that love will be a heavy weight preventing you from following Christ, fearing the ruined relationships with these people you love.

Nov 23, 2013
Too bad you feel that way, because God teaches spiritual lessons with metaphor just as Jesus did. One of the most often noted aspects of Jesus' ministry is His copious use of parables. They are not lies. They are comparisons.
There’s a huge difference between a parable and a metaphor.

Parable - A saying or story in which something is expressed in terms of something else.

Ex - A sower went out to sow a seed.

The sower represents SOMEONE, The seed represents SOMETHING.

Metaphor - a figure of speech in which a word or phrase is applied to an object or action to which it is not literally applicable.

Ex - The snow is a white blanket.

A lie - Snow IS NOT a white blanket.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
The metaphor here is the seed. It is not, but not unlike, the sperm of a man. It is spiritual, not physical. It is the seed of thought. Satan's seed refers to those who have swallowed his lies and act accordingly.

At the same time, when Satan's followers are cast out of Heaven (and woe to the inhabitants of the Earth) they will be born of women. These women will be of one tribe. From this tribe will come the anti-Christ, and they will persecute the offspring of Judah.

If you are referring to "Satan's followers" as those who are cast out of heaven, in Rev.12 they are clearly identified as his angels and therefore cannot and will not be born of women. Satan and his angels being cast out is in fact the result of the 7th trumpet and is the third woe, which is why the verse states "But woe to the inhabitants of the earth."

Further more, the woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under feet and wearing a crown of twelve stars, is figurative representing Israel. The same symbols of the sun, moon and stars are used in Gen.37:9-10 with the sun representing Jacob, the moon representing his wife or wives and the twelve stars representing Jacob's son's, the twelve tribes of Israel. Collectively, the woman clothed with the sun, moon and stars represents Israel.

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
I don't understand some Bible verses.
Matthew 10:34 34 "Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law;
In addition to what has been said by others, it is important to bear in mind that Jesus was preaching to the Jews, who were expecting a King who would be called The Prince of Peace.

Some theologians say Jesus was going to be an earthly king, but since He was rejected by His own people this physical kingdom will take place only in the End Times. Jesus knew he would be rejected by many and was warning about divisions.

Again, Jesus was speaking to the Jews, but what He said applies to the Gentiles as well. I hear of many kids who get kicked out of their homes as a result of their conversion to Christ.

Jesus is and always will be the Prince of Peace, but widespread peace will be established only in the Kingdom to come.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
I don't understand some Bible verses. Matthew 10:34 34 "Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.
The sword represents conflict, persecution, and even martyrdom. So what the Lord was saying is simply this: that the minute someone receives Christ as Lord and Savior he or she is in a spiritual battle. If you are the only one in your family was was saved, then you are at odds with the rest of your family. And if you happen to be a Muslim or Hindu (or some other religion) and become a Christian, you may be in for some very serious persecution, hatred, and even death.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
Hello miker088,

In understand how this could be confusing. The problem is with the Greek word "miseo" translated as "hate," which based on the actual Greek word, is a bad translation. When we take into consideration that under the law we are to "honor our mother and father," how then can we believe that Jesus is telling us to hate our father and mother, wife and children, brother and sisters, etc.? Below is the actual definition of the word Miseo translated as hate:

===========================================
HELPS Word-studies
3404 miséō – properly, to detest (on a comparative basis); hence, denounce; to love someone or something less than someone (something) else, i.e. to renounce one choice in favor of another.

Lk 14:26: "If anyone comes to Me, and does not hate (3404 /miséō, 'love less' than the Lord) his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be My disciple"
============================================

Below is another scripture regarding the same teaching:

"Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me."

So, the scripture above supports the idea of the definition of the word "miseo" to basically mean that unless we love someone or something than Jesus, then we are not worthy of Him.

I hope that this helps clear up this issue. It is important to look up the actual Greek word, instead of just relying on the translated English word.
Correction on the second to the last paragraph:

So, the scripture above supports the idea of the definition of the word "miseo" to basically mean that if anyone comes to Jesus and does not "love less than the Lord" his own father and mother, wife, children and brother and sisters, etc., then we are not worthy of Him.

Nov 23, 2013
Correction on the second to the last paragraph:

So, the scripture above supports the idea of the definition of the word "miseo" to basically mean that if anyone comes to Jesus and does not "love less than the Lord" his own father and mother, wife, children and brother and sisters, etc., then we are not worthy of Him.
Whenever you have to change Gods word to other words you can bet your interpretation of the verse is wrong.

Dec 12, 2013
A metaphor is a figure of speech applied to an object or action to which it is not literally applicable.... In other words a metaphor is a BIG FAT LIE.

I hope that you don’t think God uses lies to teach spiritual lessons.
The more you talk the more obvious it is that you really do not know what you are talking about......seriously......the bible is full of metaphors.....no wonder you miss the mark on about 75% of what you post......!

Dec 12, 2013
Too bad you feel that way, because God teaches spiritual lessons with metaphor just as Jesus did. One of the most often noted aspects of Jesus' ministry is His copious use of parables. They are not lies. They are comparisons.
Exactly........the bible is full of metaphors INSPIRED by GOD....some of the drivel that comes off his key board never ceases to amaze me....

Dec 27, 2018
Exactly........the bible is full of metaphors INSPIRED by GOD....some of the drivel that comes off his key board never ceases to amaze me....
Metaphors and similes abound in the Bible, this is true. There are rules that must be followed when interpreting them.

Nov 23, 2013
The more you talk the more obvious it is that you really do not know what you are talking about......seriously......the bible is full of metaphors.....no wonder you miss the mark on about 75% of what you post......!
The Bible is full of parables and symbolic language NOT METAPHORS. And that’s why you don’t understand about 75% of what I post.

Do you even believe there is a seed of Satan or is that just another METAPHOR?

Melach

Mar 28, 2019
i dont think anyone has all the bible figured out. dont feel bad

look at the prophets like daniel even they didnt understand what was going on. apostles didnt realize what was happening when Jesus was going to the cross.

U

UnderGrace

A metaphor is a figure of speech applied to an object or action to which it is not literally applicable.... In other words a metaphor is a BIG FAT LIE.

I hope that you don’t think God uses lies to teach spiritual lessons.

Mr KJV ... this is not correct, you understanding of metaphor as a literacy device is wrong.

U

UnderGrace

There’s a huge difference between a parable and a metaphor.

Parable - A saying or story in which something is expressed in terms of something else.

Ex - A sower went out to sow a seed.

The sower represents SOMEONE, The seed represents SOMETHING.

Metaphor - a figure of speech in which a word or phrase is applied to an object or action to which it is not literally applicable.

Ex - The snow is a white blanket.

A lie - Snow IS NOT a white blanket.
Where did you get this definition?

Not from an English teacher :D

U

UnderGrace

What’s your definition the word metaphor?
Very simply a metaphor is an indirect comparison of things, ideas, experiences .... unlike a simile which is a direct comparison

U

UnderGrace

I’ll ask you the same question I asked DC, do you think God uses lies to teach spiritual lessons?

Gen 3:15 (KJV) And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Who do think Satans seed is?

Is this just a metaphor?

Jesus said “Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do.” Do you think it’s possible that maybe they are “thy seed” in Genesis 3:15?

Well Satan didn’t have sex with Eve so “thy seed” certainly isn’t a talking about Satans earthly offspring.

Who then is Satans seed in Genesis 3:5? Just a metaphor?
I do not think this is a metaphor, however the language is figurative, figurative language is still truth just stated in a more expressive format to enhance the impact of the words.

Dec 12, 2013
I do not think this is a metaphor, however the language is figurative, figurative language is still truth just stated in a more expressive format to enhance the impact of the words.
Was the seed of the woman literal? YES indeed it IS...............