If a person claims to have been spoken to by God, what determines their credibility?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Apr 14, 2020
For example if one trusts the claims of Paul the Apostle, should one accept the claims of David Koresh?

Feb 1, 2020
Well you just see if they are telling the truth or telling a lie. The apostle Paul tells the truth, so it's very easy to see that Jesus raised up Paul. David Koresh told a multitude of pretty obvious and absurd lies, so it is very easy to see that Satan deceived him greatly.

There are other ways to tell as well, probably the most obvious being whether or not they have drank from the cup of Babylon, but even that is still the dynamic of truth versus lies.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Well to blindly accept anything is not wise. I will admit I make some pretty unbelievable claims, like having spoken to and being spoken to by God on many occasions or how I have met Jesus several times as well as the father the places I say I have been in the spiritual realm ect. But I always say to take anything I say with a grain of salt and I don't expect or ask that anyone believes me because I know how outlandish it sounds and that I don't have any actual evidence to prove it. Even if I post scripture it almost never is enough so I just move on.

The way I see it if someone gets upset or really is wanting you to believe them about it then they likely are acting on rejection and didn't really experience it. Of course this cannot be said about everyone but usually especially if you know the person you can tell if what they say are true. Take into consideration their daily conduct and personality, how they tend to talk and act what they tend to say and talk about ect.

Apr 14, 2020
Well to blindly accept anything is not wise. I will admit I make some pretty unbelievable claims, like having spoken to and being spoken to by God on many occasions or how I have met Jesus several times as well as the father the places I say I have been in the spiritual realm ect. But I always say to take anything I say with a grain of salt and I don't expect or ask that anyone believes me because I know how outlandish it sounds and that I don't have any actual evidence to prove it. Even if I post scripture it almost never is enough so I just move on.

The way I see it if someone gets upset or really is wanting you to believe them about it then they likely are acting on rejection and didn't really experience it. Of course this cannot be said about everyone but usually especially if you know the person you can tell if what they say are true. Take into consideration their daily conduct and personality, how they tend to talk and act what they tend to say and talk about ect.
That doesn't answer my question

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
For example if one trusts the claims of Paul the Apostle, should one accept the claims of David Koresh?
During the days of the apostles you would test the teaching by holding it to the words of the past Prophets who was evidently chosen by God through their miracles and God's presence moving within them.

Paul himself multiple times basically says if you dont believe me, go ask so and so and investigate to know what I say it true. He lists names of people who had been eye witnesses and not yet fallen asleep or died.

As with David Koresh his teachings went against basic Biblical beliefs and his prophecies was evidently false which is a grand clue that he was a fake most likely acted within by demonic activity.

The Bible doesn't teach blind faith like many Christians believe but quite the opposite. It is the things of God that give us assurances to have confidence in the things yet to be seen. Basically if I study past prophecies and see historically they always came to pass then that is the evident assurance that gives me the confidence to believe that future Biblical prophecies will come to pass.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
You choose what to believe. At some point, you may be compelled to examine everything you believe, not just to understand why you have accepted such things as truth, and how those beliefs have impacted your life through your decision making process, but to overthrow them for a greater truth. When one is called to belief, you stand alone in as much as nobody else can answer for you the question Jesus put to His followers: "But what about you?" he asked. "Who do you say I am?" When you can confess with your mouth and believe in your heart that "Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of the living God," you may also come to accept that this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by the Father in heaven, and that, The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children.

NotmebutHim

May 17, 2015
In modern times, if anyone claims to have heard something from God, we should check Scripture to see if "those things are so" as the Bereans did in Acts. Personally, I don't trust anyone who says that he/she has a "word of knowledge" or "new revelation" from God.

As Justin Peters famously said, if you want to hear God speak, read Scripture out loud.

Granted, God can and does speak to us without us having to do that, but the point is that He will never tell us or show us something that contradicts or otherwise distorts His Word.

It is my contention that some people don't trust Paul's words because ultimately (though they are loathe to admit it) they don't really believe that Jesus spoke to him. Which is basically an indictment against God's character.

E

EleventhHour

Paul the Apostle trusted in >>>> Christ Jesus as Lord and Saviour

David Koresh trusted in >>>>>>> David Koresh

Do your research and figure who is worthy of trust.

CS1

May 23, 2012
LOL hahaha
Paul was an eyewitness of the resurrected Lord. Paul's words were judge in light of other scriptures. Jesus too said much of what Paul repeated.

David Koresh had sex with minors before he became a self-proclaimed prophet.

Paul died in defense of the Gospel and no children were killed because of HIm. David testimony never shown in his life what he claimed

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
That doesn't answer my question
Well it does actually, use discernment. If you don't know the person my advice is to be more wary but if you do know them and know what their like then you will have a better understanding to be able to believe them or not

Apr 3, 2019
Paul's claims were justified by his "works" in the same way Jesus was:

(Acts 2:22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know)

(Acts 19:11 And God wrought special miracles by the hands of Paul)

All Koresh did was get a load of people to perish.

Apr 15, 2017
If you know the Bible you will not be deceived, and those that have the Spirit will not be deceived.

Which God said my people perish for lack of knowledge, and study to show yourself approved unto God, and when they tell of the Bible search the scriptures daily to see if it is the truth, and the Spirit will testify of Jesus, and guide the saints in to all truth, and show them things to come.

The disciples and Paul would have revelations that other saints would not, for they did not need to have faith for they were eyewitnesses to Jesus' resurrection, with Paul seeing Jesus on the road to Damascus, that way they could boldly go forth preaching the Gospel with no doubts.

When Jesus came He told the Jews that they have never seen God, nor heard His voice.

Thomas said He would not believe Jesus is risen until he sees the prints in His hands, and the hole in His side, and Jesus appeared to the disciples after He had risen, and said to Thomas put your finger in the print of the hand, and your hand in the hole in my side, and then Thomas believed that Jesus had risen.

Which Jesus said to Thomas you believed because you have seen, blessed are they which have not seen but believe.

For it is based on faith, for if people seen they would only believe because they have seen.

Which faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Which the natural man does not understand the things of God, but God reveals the kingdom, and truth, to the saints by His Spirit.

Which the Spirit bears witness with our spirit that we are the children of God.

And God said the wisdom of this world is foolishness to Him.

Which I read through the Bible and God told us the whole history of mankind, and told us of the new age movement that will eventually deceive the world to rebel against God, and then He will put them down.

It is based on faith and when people say they have a great revelation of God, I tend to not believe it, although it could of happened, but I know many people like to exalt themselves by saying they had great revelations and dreams, and heard from God, and seen Jesus, and are a prophet.

People believe what they want to believe, even many people that claim Christ, which is many different interpretations, and some people are in some situation where they have low self esteem, and do not know the Bible that well, and will fall for the falsehood of people like David Koresh, and as well as other people like him.

But that is not God's fault, but people have a choice, so He is not responsible for the bad choices they make, although He is working in the world to correct it.

There is one man on the internet, Youtube, William Tapley, that claims to be the 3rd eagle, angel, of the apocalypse, and co-prophet of the end time, and has some strange prophesies, so some people can get carried away, and some people might be a little mentally ill.

Anybody that claims to be a prophet but they take the prophesies of the Bible and relate that would not give them credibility, for the Bible already tells us about those prophesies.

If they say they have a prophesy and it does not come to pass then they are a false prophet.

I believe the saints can have a dream, and a prompting from the Holy Spirit to do a certain work, which the Spirit will guide the saints in to all truth, and show them things to come.

I have never heard from God, or seen Jesus, and I understand the Bible well.

But the disciples did not do many of the miracles Jesus did for they are not common place for the disciples to do, other than healing, and witnessing of the truth, and casting out devils, and having power over them for they are the enemy.

The devils are deceiving the new age movement to believe they are aliens that want to help mankind, and Lucifer wants to help mankind to evolve, but they are the fallen angels, and God said the new age movement is of seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils.

And the saints will not have revelations, and seeing miracles, that the disciples did, for they did not need faith where the rest of the saints need faith which Jesus said they will not see Him.

Tawpin123

Apr 22, 2020
An encounter with God (verbally or in person) will 100% change one's life. Paul's life was transformed in an instant... he once was a killer of Christians but after the encounter he became an apostle of Christ. He became a new man with a new way of thinking, speaking and acting. So I think before you trust them, you should focus more on what kind of person they are; how they act and also WHAT they speak... Matthew 7 "16 By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thorn bushes, or figs from thistles? 17 Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit."

And also, i think you shouldn't blindly follow on everyone who claims to have been spoken to by God, you need to pray about it first and ask God to help you discern whether He (God) had really spoken to them...1 John 4:1 - Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

Also as Christians, before we rush to make any decision we need to apply wisdom, not the worldly wisdom which is foolish but the one that comes from God (James 1 vs 5). And this is what wisdom does...Proverbs 1 vs 12 Wisdom will save you from the ways of wicked men, from men whose words are perverse.

And also remember that God gave us the Holy Spirit without whom we are all lost. Let Him lead you and be attentive to what he says...you won't go wrong.

Shalom!

CS1

May 23, 2012
An encounter with God (verbally or in person) will 100% change one's life. Paul's life was transformed in an instant... he once was a killer of Christians but after the encounter he became an apostle of Christ. He became a new man with a new way of thinking, speaking and acting. So I think before you trust them, you should focus more on what kind of person they are; how they act and also WHAT they speak... Matthew 7 "16 By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thorn bushes, or figs from thistles? 17 Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit."

And also, i think you shouldn't blindly follow on everyone who claims to have been spoken to by God, you need to pray about it first and ask God to help you discern whether He (God) had really spoken to them...1 John 4:1 - Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

Also as Christians, before we rush to make any decision we need to apply wisdom, not the worldly wisdom which is foolish but the one that comes from God (James 1 vs 5). And this is what wisdom does...Proverbs 1 vs 12 Wisdom will save you from the ways of wicked men, from men whose words are perverse.

And also remember that God gave us the Holy Spirit without whom we are all lost. Let Him lead you and be attentive to what he says...you won't go wrong.

Shalom!
Paul's testimony stands today. Davi K. did not.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
This is nonsense. Paul would have won that battle with Janet Reno and the ATF.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012

Shalom!
I would say you seem to have a good amount of discernment and wisdom yourself I'm impressed

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Paul's testimony stands today. Davi K. did not.
I saw netflix try to get me to watch him but from the reports of this thread I think I will take a hard pass.