If the Earth were flat---

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I have observed that no one (who is not a 'Flat Earther') seems to be willing to do this.
I beg to differ. I was willing to do just that. And I learned a good bit. I don't believe any of it because it directly contradicts what I have observed about the sun's path through the sky and how it does NOT look smaller in the early morning and late evening than it does when it is right overhead, but I did learn about what y'all believe.

2) Our very sincere and civil discussion (not debate) takes place in PM form so the hecklers will not distract anyone who sincerely wants to better understand the FE model.

OR

3) I will give answers in blog form - whereby, I am the only one allowed to post.
Why only in PM or blog? It's pretty easy to have a discussion here with the people you're talking to, and ignore the rest. You don't even have to use the forum ignore button. Just ignore the rest.

At least... I THINK it's easy. I do it all the time.

O

Oblio

I once knew a flat-earther...he was from Saskatchewan!

O

Oblio

I used to call him a flatlander...for some reason he didn't find that funny. I thought it was hilarious...it was okay though, as I laughed enough for both of us!

O

Oblio

Under the flat Earth?
Another world, another dimension.
Perhaps middle earth! Frollo...you could get used to that! My first wife sometimes called me Bimbo...don't even think about it! Lol

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Your first wife sounds nasty, is she a narcissist?

O

Oblio

Lol No, it was a term of endearment. She loved me...rest her soul.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
Under the flat Earth?
Another world, another dimension.
Started a thred with please reply there: https://christianchat.com/miscellaneous/pagan-origins-of-flat-earth-theory.202860/

Ancient Near Eastern Thought and the Old Testament
"Much of the Old Testament seems strange to contemporary readers. However, as we begin to understand how ancient people viewed the world, the Old Testament becomes more clearly a book that stands within its ancient context as it also speaks against it. John Walton provides here a thoughtful introduction to the conceptual world of the ancient Near East. Walton surveys the literature of the ancient Near East and introduces the reader to a variety of beliefs about God, religion, and the world. In helpful sidebars, he provides examples of how such studies can bring insight to the interpretation of specific Old Testament passages. Students and pastors who want to deepen their understanding of the Old Testament will find this a helpful and instructive study. "

https://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Near-Eastern-Thought-Testament/dp/0801027500

RolloTamasi

Nov 10, 2021
If there is a top to a sheet of paper there is also a bottom. Hades would be in the earth between the top and bottom.
You just said between the Earth and the bottom.
What's underneath?
Is it a foot stool for God?

RolloTamasi

Nov 10, 2021
Started a thred with please reply there: https://christianchat.com/miscellaneous/pagan-origins-of-flat-earth-theory.202860/

Ancient Near Eastern Thought and the Old Testament
"Much of the Old Testament seems strange to contemporary readers. However, as we begin to understand how ancient people viewed the world, the Old Testament becomes more clearly a book that stands within its ancient context as it also speaks against it. John Walton provides here a thoughtful introduction to the conceptual world of the ancient Near East. Walton surveys the literature of the ancient Near East and introduces the reader to a variety of beliefs about God, religion, and the world. In helpful sidebars, he provides examples of how such studies can bring insight to the interpretation of specific Old Testament passages. Students and pastors who want to deepen their understanding of the Old Testament will find this a helpful and instructive study. "

https://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Near-Eastern-Thought-Testament/dp/0801027500
Near eastern thought?
Whatever it is, I am western modern thought.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
Y'all tired of yelling at each other yet?

No, huh? Oh well. I'll go get some more popcorn.

View attachment 233653
I personally think that truth is important for Christians. A lot of FE people are convinced because they think it is a spiritual issue, not a natural issue. I've been told that I'm a heretic because I reject FE. That is the extreme, of course. Christians should love truth. If worldly people want to believe FE, in fairies or men from mars, I could care less. But Christians should seek and love truth. FE is not the truth.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
The video is about 75 minutes long. In it, one of the scientists with Answers in Genesis debunks several of the "proofs" used by flat-earth proponents.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
The video is about 75 minutes long. In it, one of the scientists with Answers in Genesis debunks several of the "proofs" used by flat-earth proponents.

Please list the points, maybe the author's site listed them.

Have Blessed Holiday Season Friend,
Daniel

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I still don't see why we haven't just flown a plane out to the edge. The record for a long flight was many thousands of miles, but that was set long ago and modern technology could break it easily.

You don't even need an experimental plane like they had back then. Load up a jetliner with extra fuel tanks (which is very inefficient for commercial travel but very effective for long range flights) and take a flight out to the edge of the world. Bring a good camera.

O

Oblio

They keep flying the wrong way and return to where they started...maybe it's the twilight zone or something.
I know when I grew up flying with my dad, it was smog or ozone depletion that made the horizon looked curved.
Or perhaps it was the twilight zone. Or maybe the Chinese. They're really smart...they could do that!

RolloTamasi

Nov 10, 2021
I still don't see why we haven't just flown a plane out to the edge. The record for a long flight was many thousands of miles, but that was set long ago and modern technology could break it easily.

You don't even need an experimental plane like they had back then. Load up a jetliner with extra fuel tanks (which is very inefficient for commercial travel but very effective for long range flights) and take a flight out to the edge of the world. Bring a good camera.
The gravitational pull keeps bringing us back, we never can reach the edge.