Israel circumcised for covenant reasons at 8 days old, but presumably, the other nations did it for health or similar (not at 8 days - usually later in life in teens, but before marriage). Like you say, I doubt people really checked, but I think even David's words to Goliath "who is this uncircumcised phiistine" - shows even then that uncircumcision was seen as a kind of a shame or an insult. One reading of the below is that the other nations practiced circumcision.Circumcision was commanded to Israel (actually Abraham) as the mark of God's covenant with them, most of the other nations probably considered it rather barbaric to do that to their baby boys and weren't circumcised. But I have to admit it's not a question I generally ask people so I'm just assuming.
Very realistic observation. If a church allows for couple just live together without marriage, probably that church already caved in to secular world.Actually if I recall the only church weddings I've been to (apart from own family weddings where nobody even belonged to the church, it was just a place where you got married) are the ones where the pastors daughter got married.
That was just two church weddings I've been to in a church where I belonged!
Even my friends wedding, she was living with her fiance for maybe what 12 years at least with her intended only got married when she could afford to, already had a son, but wanted a church wedding because that was a respectable thing to do. Her now husbands father was an elder in church. They married in an Anglican church...like a really liberal one that also married same-sex couples or were friendly to them. But she got fed up with the political sermons in that church and crossed to the road to the Catholic one, so now her family attend that church lol.
Another friend of mine who went to a PI church (pacific island) said the pastors children just lived together with their partners and had children and never got married. She married in church, but her ex-husband was a pastor/minister, so I suppose they had to. Her own children, well her son, has a daughter now and never got married, and they now split.
So I don't know what that says about church weddings/marriages. They are just as messy as non-church goers marriages.
I really don't see much difference. Actually the church weddings are worst because there's pressure to marry and stay married, but its too much. When it all goes to pot not only the marriage fails but your salvation seems to be in question, and the church can excommunicate you.
Also...what's with the head on a stick?
sincerely so I would say, after I have searched by myself for so long and having no result, I would somehow feel like an arranged marriage would have done the deal. however I would not want to find myself in a situation where we are not compatible.Hey Everyone,
Over the years, I've seen some pushes in Christian culture to move towards arranged marriages.
I know arranged marriages are still the norm in some cultures, but admittedly, I've read a lot of horror stories about them, such as when there is a dowry dispute -- and the discontent in-laws douse the new bride in oil, set her on fire, the tell the police she committed suicide -- or had a "cooking accident."
Now, I'm not trying to say anything bad about cultures that use arranged marriages, and I'm certainly not trying to say that arranged marriages themselves are bad. I just think that when discussing any kind of social arrangement, especially one this serious, all of the cultural pro's and con's surrounding it must be also be fully considered.
I have known one arranged marriage (from India) that was successful (but produced no children, for reasons known only to God and the couple,) and I wish I would have had more time to ask them how this might be adapted for Western cultures.
But I must also say that I CANNNOT imagine my parents (or anyone else) trying to choose someone for me -- and I'm wondering how everyone else feels about this as well. As much as I love my parents and friends, I am an extreme introvert at heart, and I think there are many things even those closest to me would miss -- and not know to consider when trying to pick someone for me.
What about you?
* Do you believe that your family or even your friends pick out the right spouse for you?
* For our married friends, if you could do things all over again -- do you believe your family or friends been able to pick a spouse as compatible or more so than the one you have? Do you think your pastor would be able/would have been able to choose for you?
* Do YOU think that you could choose a spouse FOR SOMEONE ELSE -- whether your child, relative (niece or nephew, cousin, etc.), friend, or church member? Why or why not?
I'm going to write a multiple choice, anonymous (no one can see your answers) poll, but please come back and tell us if you could see yourself agreeing to an arranged marriage -- along with the reasons why, or why not. The poll only allows about 10 answers, and I'm hoping people are going to have much more to say about this topic.
Please feel free to share any cultural traditions or backgrounds that would affect why you feel the way you do.
I am VERY interested in hearing people's answers and what has influenced them.
Thank you for your time!![]()