Ignored members

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
To stay sane, I place quite a few members on ignore, I just wonder if there is a limit to how many you can ignore.
And if some members get a lot of people ignoring them, does it count on their tally or something.

I suppose if you dont know that someones ignoring you then you are none the wiser and it shouldnt matter. But maybe if say more than ten people ignore one poster would that signal they were posting quite offensively...? Do mods do anything about it or do people eventually get the message people arent going to put up with them.

is there a better way to word it like 'skip this poster' or is it more like 'shun and ostracise this poster'

Just wondering. You sometimes get some really argumentative/nasty posts on here and with sharp barbs and sometimes I feel the ignore button is a saving grace like shutting the mouths of the lions. But it has to be quite bad and upsetting for me to report it, especially when people seem to get real personal about stuff.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
Admin has no way of seeing who is on another user's ignore list and if we could we would never act against a user solely because other users have placed them on ignore. Think about it, all it would take is (based on your example) 10 persons who are ultra sensitive (read that as "get their undies in a bunch over nothing") to get a large number of highly respected long term users removed.

Jan 25, 2015
Admin has no way of seeing who is on another user's ignore list and if we could we would never act against a user solely because other users have placed them on ignore. Think about it, all it would take is (based on your example) 10 persons who are ultra sensitive (read that as "get their undies in a bunch over nothing") to get a large number of highly respected long term users removed.
Maybe you are on her "ignore list" Oncefallen :eek::giggle:

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
ok just wondering.
nah once fallen you are not being ignored by me.
I dont know how. any users are on here at any given time. But if there was like 100 people ignoring one person I suppose even then you wouldnt bat an eye.
The devil could be on this forum as a long term user (and why wouldnt he be attracted to a Christian forum? that's his playground after all) and we could all resist him.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I have never placed a member on ignore. Even if you did you would still be subject to their posts if another member quotes them.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
I have never placed a member on ignore. Even if you did you would still be subject to their posts if another member quotes them.
That was the old site. The new site changed that.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
Maybe you are on her "ignore list" Oncefallen :eek::giggle:
I'm not sure about the platform that we currently run on, but on our old platform (vBulletin) users couldn't ignore Admin of Moderators. Personally I've never used it even though there are plenty of users who's posts annoy me (some outright make my blood boil) but I'm mature enough to be able to either just not read their posts (or if I do, not respond).

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Uh, I was about to gravebump a 2 year old thread and lo and behold this very topic is at the top of suggestions. I was going to try user2user tech but I suppose this will suffice.

Anyway, I am wondering if I will get a notification at this point if a person quotes me or not. It seems I am able to see other users quote the person on ignore.

I've only done this twice (I think) and I'm still a bit iffy about whether it's appropriate or not to even use the function.

I'm also quite interested in the ban system if anyone is willing to share info privately. I can see why this wouldn't be discussed publicly but I rarely alert mods and usually second guess if I am overreacting, so I'm kind of curious what is "tying up someone's time" and something "legitimate" and a list of what that might be. There are of course obvious reasons to report, but flaming/baiting/causing dissention are on my personal list and that's pretty vague to reach a consensus on. To be clear, even a reason for why that is of no concern would be helpful or if I am indeed overreacting (which happens occasionally ;) )

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I dont think you get notice but you do know if someone you are ignoring is posting on your thread cos down the bottom it will say 'show ignored content' which you can then click on, but then would defeat the purpose because they would be posting something offensive that you dont want to read again.

usually long posts you can quicky scroll past but if they post lots of graphics sometimes you just cant 'unsee' them.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Uh, I was about to gravebump a 2 year old thread and lo and behold this very topic is at the top of suggestions. I was going to try user2user tech but I suppose this will suffice.

Anyway, I am wondering if I will get a notification at this point if a person quotes me or not. It seems I am able to see other users quote the person on ignore.

I've only done this twice (I think) and I'm still a bit iffy about whether it's appropriate or not to even use the function.

I'm also quite interested in the ban system if anyone is willing to share info privately. I can see why this wouldn't be discussed publicly but I rarely alert mods and usually second guess if I am overreacting, so I'm kind of curious what is "tying up someone's time" and something "legitimate" and a list of what that might be. There are of course obvious reasons to report, but flaming/baiting/causing dissention are on my personal list and that's pretty vague to reach a consensus on. To be clear, even a reason for why that is of no concern would be helpful or if I am indeed overreacting (which happens occasionally ;) )
Your questions were a bit unclear. Are you asking if you get notified if you have someone blocked, if they quote you? If that's what you're asking the answer is no. It would defeat the purpose of an ignore to alert you of things done by the person you're ignoring.

I'm not sure what there is to discuss, privately, about how bans work.
Discussing reasons for why someone is banned is not permitted, but inquiring about the way it functions is fine.

On the old site there was a posting of rules, I don't believe they do this any longer.
Some people are trigger happy when it comes to reporting people, and often times such people, when they report others, are taken less seriously. Kind of a boy who cried wolf situation.
It seems fairly common sense when it's fitting to report someone, for the most part.
I'd suspect you're inadvertently complicating it. If you find yourself reporting often, you may want to ease off and lower your standards.
If a situation arises you're not sure of, maybe wait it out a little and see if it gets worse or resolves itself before deciding.
And keep in mind reporting simply means mods will look at the persons posts and determine if their behavior warrants action or not, so reporting does not mean they are in trouble. It's easier to let the mods decide as they are in the position to see things clearer.

Feb 29, 2020
People who truly deserve to be ignored should be reported.

And if your plight is legitimate, they'll get banned anyway; which is much better than using the ignore feature.

I think ignoring people solely because of minor doctrinal disagreements is silly (unless it's a serious false doctrine like denying/attacking God, scripture, Christ, and/or Christians; vulgar/obscene insults, vulgar/obscene Bible interpretations, etc.)

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Your questions were a bit unclear. Are you asking if you get notified if you have someone blocked, if they quote you? If that's what you're asking the answer is no. It would defeat the purpose of an ignore to alert you of things done by the person you're ignoring.

I'm not sure what there is to discuss, privately, about how bans work.
Discussing reasons for why someone is banned is not permitted, but inquiring about the way it functions is fine.

On the old site there was a posting of rules, I don't believe they do this any longer.
Some people are trigger happy when it comes to reporting people, and often times such people, when they report others, are taken less seriously. Kind of a boy who cried wolf situation.
It seems fairly common sense when it's fitting to report someone, for the most part.
I'd suspect you're inadvertently complicating it. If you find yourself reporting often, you may want to ease off and lower your standards.
If a situation arises you're not sure of, maybe wait it out a little and see if it gets worse or resolves itself before deciding.
And keep in mind reporting simply means mods will look at the persons posts and determine if their behavior warrants action or not, so reporting does not mean they are in trouble. It's easier to let the mods decide as they are in the position to see things clearer.
Ok thanks. The first did answer my question. Let's say I post on a thread with a person who is on ignore and they see my post they basically can't quote me and me be able to see it.

Not having posted rules is sort of atypical for sites I've been on. It helps to have community policing but yeah I for sure understand "clogging" with too many reports. It also seems to make sense that some people might report when they don't need to. Appreciate the help. I guess it's just seeing people trolling/baiting that caused me to think about it a bit deeper because I can't know "for sure" and it's kind of vague. Usually there's a consensus regarding that from a particular user though.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I think this site works better by not having too many rules and approving first posts before they show up.
other sites have way too many rules and mods that seem to be bullies.

I do report anything I see as offensive.
as Im not that interested in disagreeing with doctrines or arguing them the ones tht are always looking for an argument can be safely ignored rather than me reporting for example yet another rabid calvinist looking for a fight. as they dont seem to stop. after a while you get to know who is posting what and the type of bait posts they always push, and avoid them, as its the same old argument all the time.
thats boring to me, its like cant you talk about anything else.

Otherwise, I can calmily discuss most things with most people.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Ok thanks. The first did answer my question. Let's say I post on a thread with a person who is on ignore and they see my post they basically can't quote me and me be able to see it.

Not having posted rules is sort of atypical for sites I've been on. It helps to have community policing but yeah I for sure understand "clogging" with too many reports. It also seems to make sense that some people might report when they don't need to. Appreciate the help. I guess it's just seeing people trolling/baiting that caused me to think about it a bit deeper because I can't know "for sure" and it's kind of vague. Usually there's a consensus regarding that from a particular user though.
They can see and respond and react to your pasta, you simply get no notifications if they do. Your blocking them does not mean they are blocked from you.

Yes, not sure why they didn't continue with the posted rules. It makes things more complicated.

Personally I rarely report anyone. Knowing that people can get away with so much on this site without as much as a slap on the wrist, I see no point. I've even seen mods blatantly and willfully behave in ways that should not be allowed, and told "that's just how they are" when i complained.
Basically if people aren't cussing others out, stalking them, advertising, seeking donations, clearly trolling, making threats or openly teaching other religions it's not worth reporting. Name calling, slander, personal attacks and the such all seem acceptable on this site.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Much appreciated @Subhumanoidal

Slander, dissention, or intentional foul play that is intended to operate "just" inside the safe zone is unacceptable.

I give a lot of room for people to "grow" usually, and am not quick to pass judgement on a person just because one post angered me. Some people are obviously here just to cause trouble though.

Either way, my time at this site has been helpful. I think the pros outweigh the cons but it is useful for me to consider these angles. How difficult moderation can actually be and how many mods would be necessary to even consider certain stances in practicality.

I do understand that there are reasons for lack of transparency but I think there are equally good reasons to be transparent (to a point)...it could just be lack of staff I suppose.

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
I wish there was an ignore feature for threads.
I might not even post on it, but when my friends do it pops in my feed, and say it's not useful for me, and some threads just go on and on and on.
It would we great if I could filter it out to not even appear in my feed.