ignoring

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
G

Godsgirl83

I've seen on member profiles the "ignore" button. It is sad that on a Christian site one would have to consider doing so, but sadly I am considering it. What exactly happens when I hit it? Will it make it so I don't see their post or them mine? or does it merely just keep us from having private contact?
Thanks!

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
I've seen on member profiles the "ignore" button. It is sad that on a Christian site one would have to consider doing so, but sadly I am considering it. What exactly happens when I hit it? Will it make it so I don't see their post or them mine? or does it merely just keep us from having private contact?
Thanks!
Then you wont see their comments and threads and they cant message u.
Be glad we have it

G

GtrPkr

Lol.... Who needs a button?

G

Godsgirl83

Then you wont see their comments and threads and they cant message u.
Be glad we have it
Thanks..... can they still see me/mine?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Yes. There are several people who have me on Ignore. I can still see their posts. They can't see mine, nor can they see my words when someone else quotes me. That can lead to confusion though!

G

GtrPkr

I have a stupid question... This being a "Christian blog site", if you're willing to hit an ignore button on someone, doesn't it just mean that you're so emotionally invested in your own opinion and self edification that the feelings and thoughts of others no longer matter to you?

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
I have a stupid question... This being a "Christian blog site", if you're willing to hit an ignore button on someone, doesn't it just mean that you're so emotionally invested in your own opinion and self edification that the feelings and thoughts of others no longer matter to you?
That seems a rather limited interpretation of the use of the ignore button. Not everything is about opinion, self edification and disagreements. There are some people whose personalities so badly irritate me it becomes a point of frustration. They may not do anything 'wrong', but i subjectively find the way they come across grossly disagreeable. We may even be in agreement on many things. And, no doubt, others feel the same towards me and have me on ignore. And i'm fine with that.
Also there are times when users will 'stalk' another user after a disagreement. They will follow that user around the forums and comment, argue and criticize their every post. Having the ability to prevent having to see such a person is a good thing and doesn't not fall under any of the categories you describe.
No doubt some people may use the ignore feature for reasons you state, it's inaccurate to state that those could be the Only reasons, and thus suggest that anyone who uses such an option is revealing negative traits. Thats quite a critical view of people.
In real life people avoid and ignore those they dislike as well. In churches, too. The bible doesn't say we have to like everyone, just to love them. We even see in the OT (i'm blanking on the names, maybe Abram? and someone else) had such major disagreements when traveling together that they agreed to separate once they arrived at their destination. It was better for them to separate than try to force something and pretend it as the right thing.

G

GtrPkr

You may be right, this is the Internet after all. I suppose I just put too much 'faith' in this being a Christian blog site and the understanding that, despite our differences, there's always one thing we can all agree upon...

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
You may be right, this is the Internet after all. I suppose I just put too much 'faith' in this being a Christian blog site and the understanding that, despite our differences, there's always one thing we can all agree upon...
I think it's a pretty common expectation. I know when i first joined i had expectations of how things 'should' be, being a Christian site. But i quickly learned otherwise haha. And not all who join have good intentions, either.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
they can still see yours; if i understand right, they won't have any obvious indication you've ignored them?

on the old version of this site, i think you still had an option to view any one of their posts by clicking on it; it just collapsed them or something? what is it like now -- do you see anything that indicates an ignored person has posted something at all? or do you have to un-ignore them before you would even know that they've written something?

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
they can still see yours; if i understand right, they won't have any obvious indication you've ignored them?

on the old version of this site, i think you still had an option to view any one of their posts by clicking on it; it just collapsed them or something? what is it like now -- do you see anything that indicates an ignored person has posted something at all? or do you have to un-ignore them before you would even know that they've written something?
If you have people ignored there is an indicator at the bottom of the page that allows you to see. "Show ignored content". Clicking that temporarily unblocks All Ignored people on that page. Leaving the thread and coming back, or even changing to a different page within the thread puts the ignore back on. Otherwise there is no indication an Ignored user has posted. And no way to know which ignored user has posted unless you unblock the whole page.
I believe the only exception is while responding to a thread, if someone else posts and it flashes up that indicator, it will tell you which ignored person posted, but still not show any of the post.

G

Godsgirl83

Yes. There are several people who have me on Ignore. I can still see their posts. They can't see mine, nor can they see my words when someone else quotes me. That can lead to confusion though!
ok Dino, so if I ignore you(for example)...... I won't see you but you'll still see me and try to comment to me I just won't see it (unless I tell the page to show blocked content?) This is opposite of what I want, lol. I want to make it so that COCKY ARROGANT person CANNOT see/reply to me/my post. Sad when your trying to help someone in need and have a jerk try to throw the conversation off course.

That seems a rather limited interpretation of the use of the ignore button. Not everything is about opinion, self edification and disagreements. There are some people whose personalities so badly irritate me it becomes a point of frustration. They may not do anything 'wrong', but i subjectively find the way they come across grossly disagreeable. We may even be in agreement on many things.
Yes this users personality is frustratingly irritating to me. Though I see sometimes we agree, but I read what they say and how it comes across to me is Cocky and arrogant. Almost like they are trying to start a fight within someones thread.

Also there are times when users will 'stalk' another user after a disagreement. They will follow that user around the forums and comment, argue and criticize their every post. Having the ability to prevent having to see such a person is a good thing and doesn't not fall under any of the categories you describe.
Yes, this is starting to happen, which is why I wish I could keep them from seeing me.

And PERHAPS (reply I will not bother to quote here) one is not so emotionally invested in their own opinion and self edification that it is the feelings and thoughts of others THAT DO matter. Which is why it is NOT APPRECIATED when someone gets COCKY and ARROGANT to replies.

G

GtrPkr

Ha! You're Right! I take it all back! Life IS much better with an 'ignore' button!!! :)

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
ok Dino, so if I ignore you(for example)...... I won't see you but you'll still see me and try to comment to me I just won't see it (unless I tell the page to show blocked content?) This is opposite of what I want, lol. I want to make it so that COCKY ARROGANT person CANNOT see/reply to me/my post. Sad when your trying to help someone in need and have a jerk try to throw the conversation off course.
That's correct, unfortunately.

Now I'm wondering if I'm the cocky arrogant person to whom you refer.... ;)

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
That's correct, unfortunately.

Now I'm wondering if I'm the cocky arrogant person to whom you refer.... ;)
That might be an interesting thread in itself but if everybody has everybody on ignore no one will see it.

G

Godsgirl83

Yes they can unless they have you on ignore too.
I WISH THEY WOULD! But I think they enjoy the ( now lack of) attention they get.:rolleyes: Maybe if I get as arrogant and cocky back they might, lol but that's NOT how I am..........

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I WISH THEY WOULD! But I think they enjoy the ( now lack of) attention they get.:rolleyes: Maybe if I get as arrogant and cocky back they might, lol but that's NOT how I am..........
With some obnoxious peeps there are times when you give 'em your best shot. I do this occasionally. They probably got me on ignore.