I'm Interested..

  • Thread starter Thread starter MadParrotWoman
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

MadParrotWoman

Guest
..or just plain nosey. What is your denomination? Do you consider yourself as any particular denomination and what church do you attend - if any?

Me? I don't consider myself any particular denomination, I'm just a Christian. My church is Pentecostal but I don't consider myself so. I attend this particular church because the teaching is sound biblical teaching - conservative. It's very friendly and the style of worship is "just up my ally" but it isn't perfect, there are aspects of it I'm not 100% happy with and I don't feel obliged to go to that particular church.

Is there such a thing as a perfect church? Is there such a thing as a perfect denomination? I don't think so.

Your views?
 
..or just plain nosey. What is your denomination? Do you consider yourself as any particular denomination and what church do you attend - if any?

Me? I don't consider myself any particular denomination, I'm just a Christian. My church is Pentecostal but I don't consider myself so. I attend this particular church because the teaching is sound biblical teaching - conservative. It's very friendly and the style of worship is "just up my ally" but it isn't perfect, there are aspects of it I'm not 100% happy with and I don't feel obliged to go to that particular church.

Is there such a thing as a perfect church? Is there such a thing as a perfect denomination? I don't think so.

Your views?
This IS a christian site, so many people here are christians. However, there are other religions here as well. Catholics, Muslims, Hindu, even some atheists. :) Is there a perfect denomination? NO, not in my personal opinion, there is'nt. There are no perfect churches, either, because the congregants of each church are made up of sinners, and we as humans are imperfect. :)
 
..or just plain nosey. What is your denomination? Do you consider yourself as any particular denomination and what church do you attend - if any?

Me? I don't consider myself any particular denomination, I'm just a Christian. My church is Pentecostal but I don't consider myself so. I attend this particular church because the teaching is sound biblical teaching - conservative. It's very friendly and the style of worship is "just up my ally" but it isn't perfect, there are aspects of it I'm not 100% happy with and I don't feel obliged to go to that particular church.

Is there such a thing as a perfect church? Is there such a thing as a perfect denomination? I don't think so.

Your views?

I went to church one time. When the walls and windows quit shaking after I entered the pastor told me that I needed to join the army of the Lord. I told him I was already in the army. He then asked me, "How come I don't see you except at Christmas and Easter?" I whispered back, "I'm in the secret service."

Since then I've never found a church that believes as I do. I did find one church that had a sign posted outside that said a singing group called "The Resurrection" was scheduled to sing. When a big snowstorm postponed the performance, the pastor fixed the outside sign to read, "The Resurrection is postponed."
 
I went to church one time. When the walls and windows quit shaking after I entered the pastor told me that I needed to join the army of the Lord. I told him I was already in the army. He then asked me, "How come I don't see you except at Christmas and Easter?" I whispered back, "I'm in the secret service."

Since then I've never found a church that believes as I do. I did find one church that had a sign posted outside that said a singing group called "The Resurrection" was scheduled to sing. When a big snowstorm postponed the performance, the pastor fixed the outside sign to read, "The Resurrection is postponed."

HAHAHAHAHA
 
It doesn't matter that I am an ordained (yes!) pastor - it doesn't matter what denomination this happened in - it doesn't matter what studies I have done. What matters is that I am a part of the body of Christ and I now have a small little group meeting in my home (The Living Room) and it consists of people from many denominations who want to set that difference aside and just enjoy the presence of Jesus with us. We pray for each other, discuss the bible and how God has helped us to experience His Word, and learn ways in which we can be that living presence of Jesus to others. There is healing, there is encouragement, there is forgiveness, there is the flow of the Holy Spirit to each other. No denomination - just His presence.
 
I once attended a church I thought was right down my alley. The pastor was a nice looking man dressed in all the right church garb. He asked for us to be seated. He then announced that he would now read from the book of 'Homonomity'. This puzzled me. What book of the Bible is named 'Homonomity'? Every one there looked as puzzled as I was. Oh well I was happy to learn something new about the Bible. He then began to read the first passage from the book of Homonomity that he claimed was the newly discovered 67th book of the Bible.

"Don't make me hollar don't make me shout just reach in them jeans and pull out them greens". Homonomity 1:1

I looked like a mouse being chased by a cat crawling out the back door.
 
I grew up in many different denominations... Lutheran, Baptist, Assembly of God, Christian Missionary Alliance... Now I attend a nondenominational church which I love very much.

I always grew up believing I was Christian, even as a kid, and never liked the idea of denominations.

As blue ladybug says, there is no perfect church, because we are only human. But one day, there will be a perfect church when Christ returns... And I am so excited for that! :)
 
I am a follower of Christ first, but I do belong to the Seventh-Day Adventist church. I love my church family and I enjoy fellowship with all whom I have chatted with here on Christian Chat. We all need a Savior and Jesus has done that for us and I pray we all meet in heaven some day soon.
 
I grew up in many different denominations... Lutheran, Baptist, Assembly of God, Christian Missionary Alliance... Now I attend a nondenominational church which I love very much.

I always grew up believing I was Christian, even as a kid, and never liked the idea of denominations.

As blue ladybug says, there is no perfect church, because we are only human. But one day, there will be a perfect church when Christ returns... And I am so excited for that! :)

I love this. You are correct. Yes, we are only human. Jesus was a human once. He wept. Perhaps it was a struggle for Him down here also. He's coming back one day. I will be ready. So will you.
 
Well, I attend a United Methodist Church, not because I am staunchly methodist but because I live in a small town in the south and the only choices are Baptist or Methodist:D

Asking if my church is perfect is a lol question, but once in a blue moon we get it right and I catch a glimpse of heaven on earth!
 
I'm a follower of Christ, first and foremost. I just happen to have grown up in and am still part of the Lutheran, Missouri Synod AUSTRALIA branch. My church is biblically-sound, contemporary and charismatic, for a Lutheran church. We're learning more and more about the Holy Spirit and how the Word of God has to go hand in hand with the power of the Holy Spirit. In the past, the third person of the Trinity has been largely intellectualized and misunderstood and therefore not focused upon. That's still the case for many Lutheran churches. But things are changing. The Spirit is moving!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a follower of Christ, first and foremost. I just happen to have grown up in and am still part of the Lutheran, Missouri Synod AUSTRALIA branch. My church is biblically-sound, contemporary and charismatic, for a Lutheran church. We're learning more and more about the Holy Spirit and how the Word of God has to go hand in hand with the power of the Holy Spirit. In the past, the third person of the Trinity has been largely intellectualized and misunderstood and therefore not focused upon. That's still the case for many Lutheran churches. But things are changing. The Spirit is moving!
Charasmatic Lutherans? Oh you mean they sit up front?
 
I think I was brought up attending Pentecostal churches (I didn't learn this until very recently after asking my mum), but when I first got saved over two years ago, I began attending a Baptist church, while regularly listening to Evangelical online sermons. Then I attended a Pentecostal church and listening to Pentecostal online sermons, but have recently gone back to my Evangelical roots. I was just beginning to think, "Yep, I'm pretty sure I'm definitely Pentecostal", but then again, I currently attend a very tame and laid back Pentecostal church and there's some things about Pentecostalism I don't entirely agree with.


I'm reading this fascinating book at the moment about ground breaking revivals through out history, and it's so interesting finding out where a lot of the denominations came from. When ever I hear of 'Methodists', I kind of would cringe because the name 'Methodist' sounds scary to me. But then again, some country shaking revivals and moves of the Holy Spirit came from Methodists hungry for God to move. A lot of denominations we have now are stemmed from groups who went and sought the Holy Spirit and God's presence without a second thought and were led on a path that rocked the Christian world, which often received negative reactions from other Christians.

So in an attempt to reign in on the movement that saw thousands to millions saved, people labelled such movements and created a new denomination in an attempt to institutionalise it and more often than not, the fire of the Holy Spirit was quenched. But it's so sad, we are more in love with the label than we are of each other and of God's desire to see His children grow together.

How much stronger can we as God's people be, how much more of His Kingdom can we bring here if we stood united rather than apart? We are of one body, and people keep trying to be a separate limb, disconnected from the hearts that pumps blood, and the lungs that distribute oxygen, away from the other limbs and parts that need it. We are one family, with the crazy uncles, the socially awkward aunties and the hyperactive second cousins.

We are basically the laughing stock of the world, not many people want what we have nor are enticed to understand the who our Saviour is, if as representatives we give them a disconnected and divided family, squabbling and arguing over secondary issues. We are a bride, we should start acting like one. Loving one another was the second most important commandment Jesus gave us. So much of the bible is dedicated to practical instructions on how to all get along.

Not only that, but if we truly want to bring the good news to the world, to walk with the Word made flesh in us, to be a light, a city on a hilltop, then we can do it so much better, together, fighting with the sword of the Spirit and with prayerful battle cries to bring heaven here.

(Sorry, ranting again and going completely off topic. Usually when I'm reading a book, it's constantly revolving around my mind and eventually I just word vomit in odd places, usually random CC threads)
 
I hold to no denomination myself. Including the denomination of 'non-denominational'. haha. I don't know what i would be considered. I haven't bothered learning all the nuances of what each denom believes. That being said i am undoubtedly not a charismatic. I was saved into a Pentecostal church and separate group of friends thereafter. Through most of my teen years. But since then i have pulled very much away from those leanings.

But i am one of the few that doesn't criticize the idea of denomination. I think, generally, denominations are fine and can even be helpful. Finding a way to easily identify your beliefs to another is fine. The problem isn't the denomination, but rather people. People corrupt things that are not bad.
Being able to easily relay your take on things is good, but when the humans distort this concept and make it into something to be disputed and argued over, that's where the real trouble is.
 
here is the thing about denominations: way to many of them put their doctrines above the Bible. but your statement about people being the issue is also true.
 
I started out Pentecostal but as time went on i got involved with a oneness Pentecostal denomination but at the time i didn't know they were oneness until i was being descipled by one of the assistant pastors I found out about the oneness thing and I left that church and now I'm in a non denominational church.