Oh gosh it seems to change every five minutes !
Big Brother TV show on in UK and we have an American housemate . Talking about racism in the USA she said ( I'm paraphrasing ) in the UK people r not brought up to c colour , in the USA everyone sees colour and we r brought up that way . I don't know how true that is but , we do have a friend , his mum and dad got divorced and his mum remarried an American man . They live in Chicago and our friend Lee , goes over to c his mum every couple of years . I hope I'm not gonna offend anyone here but I'm gonna tell u the two things he doesn't like about the USA , the overt racism and he says that a lot of people think it's ok to drink alcohol and then drive . In the UK of course people do drink and drive but , it's considered very bad and a shameful thing to do . People get in a lot of trouble and may loose jobs , friends etc if they get found out . It's very socially unacceptable here . This lady in the Big Brother house did say that there is quite a bit of micro aggression towards black people in the UK and the other black housemates agreed and gave examples .
The younger generations keep moving the goalposts in regard to what we r allowed and r not allowed to say , we oldies can't keep up . One of my friends , only about ten years younger than me , was horrified when I used the word ' retarded ' to describe my neighbours granddaughter . My friend thought that word was insulting , she genuinely didn't realise that it isn't an insult it's an actual adjective . She also didn't know what an adjective is


.