Aww. No apology required
Your posts reflect such kindness and sensitivity. I greatly appreciate that.
Yes, a dot on the forehead is a Hindu thing.
While racism is a reality, I also think lack of willingness to assimilate as a legal migrant or being disrespectful of other cultures as visitors are also a reality. Some migrants carry their country with them and feel they are entitled to live like they lived in their own country. They are not grateful for the opportunity to live a better life.
Not all Hindus, but radical Hindus in my country only want Hindus in India. No churches, no synagogues, no mosques, but the same category of people would want to build a Hindu temple in a foreign country. Then there are people who are not radicals but lack civic sense. They expect you to take off your shoes when you enter a temple because that is what is supposed to be done. However, they don't care about behaving properly and respecting other cultures, which is also what is supposed to be done. They play loud, Indian music and dance in a public place because THEY want to have a great time on a vacation. Some people may end up being racist because of what they experienced with other nationalities. I don't support anyone being racists no matter what the reason is, but just sharing what I think could be some of the reasons.
Not in the U S., but I did experience racism at a jewelery store in Switzerland. I asked the lady a question and the way she replied was very rude. I know she did that because of my skin color, and she wasn't a white person. I did get upset and I told her I asked her a question because I didn't know. Thank God for His grace. I wanted to leave but decided to stay despite her attitude. Wasn't going to let her ruin my plans. Maybe she felt bad about her behaviour because she came back to show me something.
I agree with you. We need to pray that we can hold it together while some may not. Also, it doesn't mean that we can't speak up, but I definitely need God's help to stay silent when dealing with people who don't want to understand and have no control over their emotions. You know the kind of people who abuse, throw tantrums like a 2 year old.
I think this is also very cultural. In Finland, we don't really use the word "colored" in the way it is discussed here. We would more often refer to someone's nationality or simply say Black, Latino, etc., depending on the situation.
There are also words in Finnish that are clearly considered racist and offensive. One particular word for Black people is so strongly associated with racism that, in my eyes, someone deliberately using it to describe another person is being racist. I know that may sound very black and white, but that is how I see it.
I am actually not someone who gets angry easily. But racism is one of the few things that can really push my buttons. If someone starts talking negatively or disrespectfully about a person because of their skin colour or where they come from, I can become quite passionate about it. I have a very strong feeling that every human being has exactly the same value, regardless of skin colour.
I also don't particularly like jokes that put people down. And yes, I know this sounds a little contradictory because I actually have quite a dark sense of humour myself. I can laugh at some pretty dark things, but for me there is a difference between dark humour and humiliating someone because of who they are.
I remember one situation at work quite clearly. I am a supervisor and I overheard some people discussing why we had to prepare different food for a particular person according to their wishes. They were questioning why this person couldn't just eat what everyone else ate and some very offensive and racist words were used, including the N-word.
That was probably the one time at work when I really lost my patience. I went into the kitchen and told them, in a rather firm voice, exactly what I thought about that kind of talk. The room went completely silent.
I have also travelled in Africa and something I noticed there was that white people sometimes received preferential treatment. They could be allowed to go ahead of others in queues at doctors' offices, government offices and similar places. I remember questioning that too. If I had a number and someone else had been waiting before me, I waited my turn. I didn't want to go ahead of someone else simply because I was white or because I might be treated differently.
For me, this isn't really about being politically correct. It is about how we see other human beings. As a Christian, I believe every person is made in the image of God and that makes it very difficult for me to accept treating someone as less valuable because of their skin colour or background.
So I think context, relationship and intention all matter. But I also think there is a point where we should simply ask ourselves: Would I want someone to speak about me or my family this way? That question usually tells me everything I need to know.
One of the things I like best about the forum is that it allows me to hear the voices and stories from people around the world.
It's been interesting enough just hearing from people raised in different places and times across the USA -- it's nice to be reminded that there's an entire world out there.
I appreciate you ladies taking the time to share these things!
The USA is known for these issues, but it's intriguing hearing viewpoints from completely different cultures.
And it's also a lesson to me about God pointing out my own discrimination to myself.
The church I attend just initiated a new group of members -- including two local homeless men. One especially, I see often wandering up and down along the busy street during the week, pushing his cart. I've seen him several times on Sunday's, where he gets restless and often wanders in and out of the sanctuary throughout the service. It's especially sad because I don't think he's even 40, but he has a physical handicap and when you say hi to him, you know something is off.
But these men must have taken the Bible classes to quality for membership, so it's awesome that they keep coming back (though, being realistic, the snacks after service and meetings are also part of the incentive.)
I know this is a different issue from race (both men are white,) but it still brought the ugliness of my heart to the surface. As we all know, homeless people don't usually smell too great -- when they're attending a service, you know. It had me wishing we could donate to set up a shower and laundry station at the church, so the homeless could use them before or after the service.
But I know that even if it was possible, it would probably start a host of other issues, as any good deed usually does. (What if someone got burned by hot water in the shower and wanted to sue? What if people complained, because everyone wanted to come and do their laundry for free, too?) From what I've seen, even the best intentions usually turn into unintended legal battles. And two homeless men have been deemed acceptable -- but all the local homeless flocking to the church once word got out would be too much for it to handle (again, for a lot of legal reasons.)
I think the church also runs a preschool, so strict limitations would be necessary. (I'm not trying to paint the homeless in a dangerous light, but drugs are rampant here, and would definitely be a concern, along with background checks.)
And I realize these things could apply to any potential member or attender, not just the homeless.
Sorry, I'm just rambling my thoughts out loud.
It's just one of those ways in which God shows me that even when I think I'm making some progress, some wrong thing in my heart always needs to be dealt with.
I've only been casually attending the church -- I haven't learned the nuts and bolts of how things work there yet.
I've been thinking about trying to set up a time to talk the pastor, and ask what the church does to help its homeless attendees, and if there is something I can anonymously contribute to.