In your opinion do you believe world is about 6000 years old

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 17, 2024
Scientific theories can be destroyed by a single piece of evidence.

That is the interesting point about any scientific theory, it can only exist
as long as no contrary evidence arises.

The singularity is an infinite amount of energy contained within zero dimensional
space. The energy contained in the singularity is more than enough to generate
two trillion galaxies. I do not accept the idea of the singularity. That is not a scientific
entity by any means, it is beyond science.

Focus on the observable, focus on the mile high Colorado Plateau that the Grand Canyon
sits in. Look at the layers, strata, beds, that constitute the Grand Canyon. There is a layer
laid down by lava in there. There are two limestone layers and limestone is formed by
dead sea life in a shallow sea. One of these limestone layers is 100 feet thick.

The limestone layers are not at the top of the strata.

The upper strata have shell fossils not limestone.

They say the Grand Canyon was created by Noah's flood and that's not correct.
Canyons are fascinating, there's around 9,000 on earth. The one in Tibet is huge, the world's largest. The Mars Canyon dwarfs them all atleast in the solar system.

Feb 17, 2023
Science is based on the study of the physical world, the natural world.

Science is not concerned with any philosophical idea or religious beliefs.

A scientist can have a belief system and a scientist can be secular in their own
private belief system. A scientist can be a Christian also but the science itself
is not influenced by any person's belief system.

Science is based on physical world observations, repeatable experiments, developing
explanations (theories) that explain the observations. Not religious interpretations.

The Apollo missions to the moon is pure science, an astronauts personal belief has nothing
to do with the Apollo missions. Belief systems are a separate field in life.

Science is not religious, science is not secular.

I love science! My major before I made it into a competitive nursing school was Mathematics with a minor in Computer Science - lots of math, and computer science concepts of course, but physics with calculus as well. And even in nursing school, I had to continue taking courses in biology and chemistry. So the science itself was never the problem.

But you don't read too carefully. I'm not talking about the science itself - I'm talking about the secular scientists you seem to have more faith in than God Himself. These are the very people who don't want to give credit to God for existing and for the work He did and does, teaching the rest of the world science that has no God's hand in it. This is why you can't recognize God's involvement in the world yourself.

💐

Feb 17, 2023
Canyons are fascinating, there's around 9,000 on earth. The one in Tibet is huge, the world's largest. The Mars Canyon dwarfs them all atleast in the solar system.

The scientists say that there was a flood on Mars too which could account for those canyons. God's work in His creation is so breath-taking! (Click on title for more information about flood on Mars.)

... And this too (click on title for the article). Of course this is from a secular scientist's view - everything happened millions of years ago, etc. etc. with no mention of God's hand in all of this....

It's a shame that secular scientists won't acknowledge God's hand in this but it is an amazing work of God neverthless!

💐

Ballaurena

May 27, 2024
But Peter (by inspiration of the Holy Spirit) said,

"But, beloved, BE NOT IGNORANT of THIS ONE THING..."

(which I believe points us back to the "after TWO DAYS" and "IN the THIRD DAY" of Hosea 5:14-6:3's CONTEXT ;) )
Not sure where to begin, and not entirely sure I know what you are getting at. The passage in Hosea is suggestive of counting the days after Jesus died on the cross - something which happened since man has been on the Earth (after time became a thing) and unrelated to the question of the age of the Earth as far as I can see.

If I understand you, you first quoted Peter where he says that to the Lord a day is like a thousand years. That isn't a formula but an expression of how outside of time things are to God. Is your point then to demonstrate scripturally how meaningless time is to God? But then I don't know how you mean to put the verses together.

Feb 17, 2023
You can get a wide variety of size and appearance in any species of animal such as a monkey.
But that is selective breeding, forced breeding, look at the dog species for example.

In the natural world, the observed world, dogs are derived from wolves. There was a time
not long ago when only wolves existed. There are only three species of wolves I think.
We developed the array of dog species through selective breeding.

More than likely, the wolf species may never have diverged into any dog species. Because
the environment they live in is suitable for big wolves. Not small dogs that fit into
a woman's handbag.

Why are you talking about species? God told Noah to collect "kinds" of animals. That's very wise of God because you can get many species of an animal from a few kind of that animal. That's how God protected the existence of the animals he had brought into the ark. Isn't that what the original issue was about? You did ask how they got all those animals to fit into the ark. :rolleyes:

💐

Feb 17, 2023
That passage doesn't say anything about time. That would be you adding your own interpretation onto Scripture.

"In the beginning" denotes time. That's why he bolded and underlined it.

You can read about it: When Did Time Begin?

Time actually began "in the beginning" (Genesis 1:1), or else it would not have been "the beginning," which is a time reference.

💐

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Interesting that you would say that.

We know that there are are a minimum of 200 species of monkey in the world.

We also know that monkey species are different in size and appearance, I seriously doubt
that any divergence. In their size and appearance is impossible over a mere few thousand
years.

Think it through Dino246.

Your claiming that any divergence in a monkey species can happen within a few lifetimes.

You can't go from a pair of monkeys to over two hundred species of monkey, in such a short space of
time.
Actually, it is possible. The ministry Answers In Genesis has provided plenty of compelling evidence on this subject, and continues to do so.

Ballaurena

May 27, 2024
"In the beginning" denotes time. That's why he bolded and underlined it.

You can read about it: When Did Time Begin?

Time actually began "in the beginning" (Genesis 1:1), or else it would not have been "the beginning," which is a time reference.

💐
So you think you know better than God what He meant, seeing as how I noted that this came from a prophetic word

Personally I will be going with His interpretation over yours.

Aug 3, 2018
Not sure where to begin, and not entirely sure I know what you are getting at. The passage in Hosea is suggestive of counting the days after Jesus died on the cross - something which happened since man has been on the Earth (after time became a thing) and unrelated to the question of the age of the Earth as far as I can see.
If I understand you, you first quoted Peter where he says that to the Lord a day is like a thousand years. That isn't a formula but an expression of how outside of time things are to God. Is your point then to demonstrate scripturally how meaningless time is to God? But then I don't know how you mean to put the verses together.
I don't have much time at the moment (or the foreseeable hours of this day and next, to respond beyond this post--my apologies)... so in the effort to save some time, I will link a past post I made on this Subject (re: the CONTEXT of Hosea 5:14-6:3 [re: ISRAEL], and how 2Pet3's verse pertains):

Post #26 - https://christianchat.com/threads/looking-for-jesus.203611/post-4804943

bottom line: I believe you are putting your own interpretation on both 2Pet3:8 (and related passages you had likely alluded to, when you say it means that these are expressions "of how outside of time God is" and "God has said the age of the earth is a "meaningless question" because time didn't exist when it was created." I believe that is not what HE is conveying in these related-type passages--I try to explain this at the LINK above, an old post of mine. )

Also, I believe the Hosea5:14-6:3 CONTEXT... well, I quoted that whole passage also at the LINK, so perhaps you could read that carefully there, where I also provided "explanation" (that will save me some time typing the same thing out here. :) Thanks!)

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
Any Christian that studies the Bible is being given enough evidence to rule out an old earth.

I'm an 80 year old Christian who began studying the Bible back in 1968. In
my studious opinion, there is sufficient textual evidence to prove young-earth
theorists have a lot to learn.
_

Feb 17, 2023
So you think you know better than God what He meant, seeing as how I noted that this came from a prophetic word

Personally I will be going with His interpretation over yours.

It's pretty plain what God said in the Bible. I couldn't believe you missed it. You don't need a prophetic word for it. You're just saying all this to save face. :)

💐

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
I love science! My major before I made it into a competitive nursing school was Mathematics with a minor in Computer Science - lots of math, and computer science concepts of course, but physics with calculus as well. And even in nursing school, I had to continue taking courses in biology and chemistry. So the science itself was never the problem.

But you don't read too carefully. I'm not talking about the science itself - I'm talking about the secular scientists you seem to have more faith in than God Himself. These are the very people who don't want to give credit to God for existing and for the work He did and does, teaching the rest of the world science that has no God's hand in it. This is why you can't recognize God's involvement in the world yourself.

💐
There is no such thing as a secular scientist nor is there a Christian scientist. They are unrelated worlds.
Christianity is a belief system not a scientific discipline. An atheist does not believe in God but that
is not a scientific discipline either.

Too many people look at scientists and think they are secular. What they believe about the
existence of God has nothing to do with science.

I do not accept the literal days of the Genesis text, I accept that the days were epochs.

I do not have a problem with any scientific facts.

I have no axe to grind with science.

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
Geology was the best subject I ever studied at university, so much information packed
into one unit. I would have liked to do Meteorology 101 or Cosmology 101 also. Even
Archaeology 101 would have been interesting. Unfortunately, I had to do Mathematics
and Computer Science and how utterly boring that was.

I was watching a video on glaciers and the historical artifacts they expose as they retreat.
There are people out there that regularly patrol the bottom of theses glaciers looking
for these artifacts. One time they found a wolf and the blood thawed which they took
samples of. The DNA testing revealed that the wolf was not directly related to modern
wolves. They suggested it may be an ancestor of the modern wolves.

Another interesting thing about glaciers is the valleys they form, they are shaped like
the letter "U". Where as a river valley is shaped like a letter "V". As the glaciers move they
have all kinds of boulders frozen within the glacier. The boulders scratch the sides of the valley
and leave big scratches and grooves in the walls of the canyon. The glaciers retreat and
leave these huge boulders across the country side. Often the geology of the boulder can be
hundreds of miles from where it came from. A granite boulder sitting on top of hill in an area
that only has layers of sedimentary rock. A fascinating world of geology.

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
I'm an 80 year old Christian who began studying the Bible back in 1968. In
my studious opinion, there is sufficient textual evidence to prove young-earth
theorists have a lot to learn.
_
Agree, to hold onto the idea that our planet is 6000 years old is absurd in 2024.

It is impossible to hold that viewpoint against an array of disciplines that say otherwise.
Even the Genesis text does not say to date the history of the earth using the biblical genealogy.

Yet that is what they do and they dig their feet in.

Feb 17, 2023
There is no such thing as a secular scientist nor is there a Christian scientist. They are unrelated worlds.
Christianity is a belief system not a scientific discipline. An atheist does not believe in God but that
is not a scientific discipline either.

Too many people look at scientists and think they are secular. What they believe about the
existence of God has nothing to do with science.

I do not accept the literal days of the Genesis text, I accept that the days were epochs.

I do not have a problem with any scientific facts.

I have no axe to grind with science.

All you've done is opine with no source citation to back up what you claim. Source citation is actually important when one talks about science and scientific topics (this is why I always cite my sources). Honestly, I can't take whatever you say seriously.

Secular and Christian scientists DO exist even if you don't acknowledge them yourself. I'm not the only one who sees them. The following are actual research papers and articles that DO acknowledge them:
With all the research papers and articles stating that they do exist, they overall state that this does affect how both such scientists carry out scientific research, interpretation of data and whether those discoveries are promoted or buried buy the largely secular scientific community. All this then affects what is taught to the rest of the world in schools, higher institutions of learning, and books, film and other media.

I'm posting this not so much for you since you've already made up your mind, but for other people to think about.

💐

Feb 17, 2023
:ROFL: They're boring to you because they're the "harder" sciences! Lol! :ROFL:

There is actually beauty in Mathematics! :love:

💐

I just want to also say that it is God who lays down the laws of Mathematics. This is why I say that Math is beautiful - because it comes from the mind of God. 💗

Mathematics Beauty | Math Motivation

THE BEAUTY OF MATHEMATICS Trailer | TIFF Kids 2014

"Mathematics is the language in which God has written the universe" - Galileo Galilei​

💐

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
:ROFL: They're boring to you because they're the "harder" sciences! Lol! :ROFL:

There is actually beauty in Mathematics! :love:

💐
Mathematics is not a science.

Mathematics is solely based on five axioms.

Science is based on observations and evidence.

Mathematics and science are separate domains.

According to the data, Biochemical Science is the hardest major in America today, while the Elementary Education
major was rated as the easiest.

Mathematics was at the halfway point in its level of difficulty in a list of 118 degrees.

The top 5 in that list of difficult degrees to complete are shown below.

Biochemical Sciences
Botany
Chemical Engineering
Chemistry
Molecular Biology

This data has the advantage of being extensive. The difficulty ratings are based on data collected from
over 200 universities, over 150,000 professors, and almost 3 million student ratings, covering 118 majors.
(bigeconomics.org/the-hardest-and-easiest-college-majors-full-list)

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
I just want to also say that it is God who lays down the laws of Mathematics. This is why I say that Math is beautiful - because it comes from the mind of God. 💗

Mathematics Beauty | Math Motivation

THE BEAUTY OF MATHEMATICS Trailer | TIFF Kids 2014

"Mathematics is the language in which God has written the universe" - Galileo Galilei​

💐
I quote a source when necessary and it's a legal requirement.