Indian food!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I agree, Indian food is good. I once considered marrying an Indian woman. Any Indian woman.
I considered it too but alas, she was married. Real nice Muslim woman. Made me an Indian lunch once and gave me a flannel shirt for Christmas which I wore for over 2 years until it was totally worn out. She acted more Christian than most Christians that I knew at that time.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
I recently discovered Townsend on youtube doing Revolutionary war recipes and cooking, I am baking onions now, take the paper off, not too deep, put it in a stone wear vessel and next to the for for a about an hour, (about 350 degrees F) A touch of the right parmesan cheese is a nice partner.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Hope you enjoy, (betcha we could do big beautiful garlic the same way!)
blessings

Mak33

Nov 12, 2019
Is there a secret ingredient for Indian cooking in your experience? I am thinking usually turmeric and black pepper.
blessings
Indians loves spices. I believe they love to use or cook with curry leaves, Chilis, Curry powder, coconut milk or cream, heavy or light cream, plain yogurt and butter in their dishes together with all the spices.

So far all I have right now is turmeric, gram masala, chili, garlic powder, cumin, cayenne, I also put a little of taco powder (Tacos). There's a lot more I think which I don't know and have.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
thinking a small clay flower pot with base, invert flower pot and have a garlic size tandoori.

Sep 28, 2020
Palak Paneer, Sambar, Dahl, Biryani, Pakora and chicken 65 are all good to eat :). for deserts try looking up bhurfi and ladoo, they are my favorites.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Wonderful! Thank you.

tribesman

Oct 13, 2011
I cook indian vegetarian dishes several times per week. Curries, Vindaloo, Aloo Jeera, Aloo Gobi, Chole etc.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Have you a favorite an American can have good success with creating?

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Is there a secret ingredient for Indian cooking in your experience? I am thinking usually turmeric and black pepper.
blessings
The tomato/cream sauces for things like butter chicken and mutter paneer (two of my faves, along with vegetarian samosas and naan) are very tasty! The process of creating them in some recipes involves pureeing. The spices used are garam masala, ground turmeric, ground coriander, ground cumin (you can leave this out, @SoulWeaver ;):)), chili powder and cardamom seeds :D So yummy!!!

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
The tomato/cream sauces for things like butter chicken and mutter paneer (two of my faves, along with vegetarian samosas and naan) are very tasty! The process of creating them in some recipes involves pureeing. The spices used are garam masala, ground turmeric, ground coriander, ground cumin (you can leave this out, @SoulWeaver ;):)), chili powder and cardamom seeds :D So yummy!!!
Garam masala has it too, lol
Which is why I gave up, I might cook and spice differently but it's not going to actually taste like Indian food...

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Garam masala has it too, lol
Which is why I gave up, I might cook and spice differently but it's not going to actually taste like Indian food...
Does curry have cumin in it as well? I just looked it up :D

Curry is a variety of dishes originating in the Indian subcontinent that use a complex combination of
spices or herbs, usually including ground turmeric, cumin, coriander, ginger, and fresh or dried chilies.

Surely you could leave the cumin out without disastrous effect? :unsure:

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
Does curry have cumin in it as well? I just looked it up :D

Curry is a variety of dishes originating in the Indian subcontinent that use a complex combination of
spices or herbs, usually including ground turmeric, cumin, coriander, ginger, and fresh or dried chilies.

Surely you could leave the cumin out without disastrous effect? :unsure:
Dunno. Maybe. I did read somewhere that women in India dedicate a lot of attention to cooking and customize meals to taste of their family members, so maybe it would still count as Indian lol

tribesman

Oct 13, 2011
Aloo chole, my lunch yesterday. I did spice it up with taco powder to enhance the tomato flavor.

IMG_20201125_120715513.jpg

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Looks great! I will look into creating this.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
chicken korma
butter chicken
pakoras
poppadoms
samosas
mango lassi

the spicy potato one...cant remember its name

I want to try some more different dishes but I cant handle TOO spicy. I like naan bread but I find I cant seem to eat naan at the same time as rice..maybe too many carbs at once?

but they kind of combine those as a combo at the local? Its kind of like having a side of mashed potato AND chips together.

Mar 25, 2020
South Indian breakfast: Idlis and dosas, Masal Dosa, Kichadi, Upma, Aapam, Vada, (with different chutneys). Kale porridge.

South Indian meal: Plain rice with an assortment of side dishes, either vegetarian or non vegetarian (Chicken, mutton, seafood - prawns, crabs, fish, beef) - Can be the same for dinner.

North Indian breakfast : Chapathis, pooris (With masala sabji), Naan.

Afternoon meal: Parottas and rotis, Rice with side dishes.

Biryani for all major Muslim festivals like Muslim marriages and also in most non vegetarian homes. Biriyani is well loved by all.

If you visit southern India, Sambar rice, Rasam rice, Curd (yoghurt) rice, Kolambu rice (Spicy sauce for the rice - usually non vegetarian, can be vegetarian also)

Pickles offered with the rice should be eaten with just a pinch. Most westerners help themselves and later use the rest room a lot if you know what I mean. I always waste pickle when I finish eating. A pinch will add to the flavor of the rice. There's a limit though. You can ask someone to guide you if you don't know how much you should add with your rice.

Of course, pork dishes are rare on the menu but are definitely available among other dishes.

For sweets: Kulfi, ladoos, Jangeris, Mysore paaks, Milk sweets, Rasagoolas, Gulabjamoons, Kesari, Coconut Burfee, Murukus, etc (Please avoid if you are diabetic - too much sugar in the jeera and in most sweets)

These are the usual. Indian - chinese cuisine, nothing like original Chinese food is good to eat. Has a different taste. (Be warned - plenty of Msg if not at least a little)