Interpreting the Parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus: It's Really Good News!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 7, 2022
No Scripture of course! Why don't you just believe what Jesus clearly said?

"The rich man also died"
"being in torments"
"he cried"
"I am tormented in this flame"
"this place of torment"
Oh, we clearly believe what Jesus said, but our disagreement is with you about what Jesus says means in context of the parable.

Feb 7, 2022
Matthew 25:41 (NKJV)
41 Then He will also say to those on the left hand, 'Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:
Revelation 20:10 (NKJV)
10 The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

Amen Jesus!
Yes, the fire is aiwnian. No question. Yes, the torment is aiwnian. No question. The results of the fire are permanent, which is to be dead without any possibility of resurrection to life. The unrepentant are burned up permanently. The torment thus leading up to that finality is limited to the duration of their temporary resurrection unto their damnation and destruction. The fire, being unquenchable, cannot be put out by those suffering in it, and will continue to burn until every last scrap of fuel for that fire is consumed. Once everything is consumed, the fire can no longer burn, being out of fuel.

For instance, in the temple services of Solomon, the fire that was ignited originated from God, the true Eternal fire, and thus the fire of Solomon's temple is called the continual fire, but it would only burn so long as maintained with fuel.

Feb 7, 2022
You have ZERO proof that it's a parable.
Luke 14-17 say otherwise contextually.

The persons Jesus was speaking to say otherwise.

Prophecy about Jesus say otherwise.

The events therein themselves say otherwise. One drop of water on a finger to cool a tongue? Really? All literal and natural? Nothing symbolic and spiritual at all there?

Duckybill

Aug 16, 2021
Luke 14-17 say otherwise contextually.

The persons Jesus was speaking to say otherwise.

Prophecy about Jesus say otherwise.

The events therein themselves say otherwise. One drop of water on a finger to cool a tongue? Really? All literal and natural? Nothing symbolic and spiritual at all there?
Satan LOVES it when you deny the "everlasting fire". He wants your company "forever and ever".
41 Then He will also say to those on the left hand, 'Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:
10 The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And
they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
Num 23:7: "And he took up his parable, and said, Balak the king of Moab hath brought me from Aram, out of the mountains of the east, saying, Come, curse me Jacob, and come, defy Israel."

All scripture is given by inspiration of who?

From whom does the Holy Ghost receive, and speak?
Do you find any parable in the new testament that uses real names?

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
One circle to another.

I asked about Luke 16 in context and, physical body parts, and you, like a WTS/JW, then go to a completely different text.

Which do you want to look at? The parable of Luke 16 in the NT? Or the deception of Satan masquerading as deceased Samuel in the OT?
What makes you think that was Satan masquerading as Samuel? There is nothing in the context that would suggest that.

I say again, does scripture not say that the body returns to the dust of the earth?

Believe what you will. As for me, I know the truth regarding the rich man and Lazarus.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
One circle to another.

I asked about Luke 16 in context and, physical body parts, and you, like a WTS/JW, then go to a completely different text.

Which do you want to look at? The parable of Luke 16 in the NT? Or the deception of Satan masquerading as deceased Samuel in the OT?
What makes you think that was Satan masquerading as Samuel? There is nothing in the context that would suggest that.

I say again, does scripture not say that the body returns to the dust of the earth?

Believe what you will. As for me, I know the truth regarding the rich man and Lazarus.

Feb 7, 2022
Satan LOVES it when you deny the "everlasting fire". He wants your company "forever and ever".
10 The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And
How does the bible define forever? How does the Bible define everlasting?

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
The popular yet erroneous teaching about Rich Man and Lazarus has succeeded to both strike fear in the hearts of Christians and drive countless others to atheism, because those who refuse to recognize this passage in Luke 16 as the parable that it is use it to advance the false idea of Eternal Torment - a doctrine of devils - because they know then can't substantiate a doctrine on an uninterpreted parable. Here's the other side of the story:

8 Red X's? Are you stirring up trouble again? :D

Feb 7, 2022
The Bible defines "forever" the same way that it "defines" eternal life, never ending! Don't you believe in "eternal" life?
Non sequitur.

Jona 2:6: "I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O LORD my God."

How does the bible define this for ever in Jonah?

Feb 7, 2022
The Bible defines "forever" the same way that it "defines" eternal life, never ending! Don't you believe in "eternal" life?
Non sequitur.

Gen 49:26: "The blessings of thy father have prevailed above the blessings of my progenitors unto the utmost bound of the everlasting hills: they shall be on the head of Joseph, and on the crown of the head of him that was separate from his brethren."

How does the bible define everlasting hills in this verse?

Duckybill

Aug 16, 2021
Non sequitur.

Gen 49:26: "The blessings of thy father have prevailed above the blessings of my progenitors unto the utmost bound of the everlasting hills: they shall be on the head of Joseph, and on the crown of the head of him that was separate from his brethren."

How does the bible define everlasting hills in this verse?
Christians will believe Jesus. Are you a Christian?

41 Then He will also say to those on the left hand, 'Depart from Me, you cursed, into
the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:

Feb 7, 2022
Christians will believe Jesus. Are you a Christian
I believe Jesus with all my heart. Yes, I am a Christian since a few years back now, having called upon the name of the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation by God's grace through faith in Jesus' shed blood of Calvary.

What I do not believe is your assumed definition of the words I believe in as they are found and written in scripture. I fully believe every single word of scripture (KJB). I don't believe men's private interpretation or definitions of those words. I believe God in His own interpretation or definition of those words (Isaiah 28:10,13).

Feb 7, 2022
That is the word "proverb"

Kjv purposefully uses a variety of English words for a single Hebrew or Greek word. It's not always correct.
Funny, whenever a doctrine of scripture (KJB) conflicts with Catholic doctrine, eventually it comes down to a translation error of the King James. Laughable. This is the best defense they have. Poo-poo'ing on the King James Bible. *snickers*. Well thanks for the laugh.

Ps 78:2: "I will open my mouth in a parable: I will utter dark sayings of old:"

I suppose this is also to be translated "proverb"? Oh wait a minute:

Mat 13:35: "That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying, I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things which have been kept secret from the foundation of the world."

Same word in Psalms 78 as in Numbers. H4912.

Perhaps you should leave the translating work to those that know language and their Bible, neither of which you appear to. Just a suggestion.

Jul 24, 2021
If you don't believe Jesus you surely won't believe me.

I will be taking my bible lessons from Stephen, not some proselytizer of hell who is unable to reason though his sin. The hell doctrine is a trifecta of blasphemies. I advise you to follow the examples of the bible as your mind is held sway by pagan fables. You severely lack discernment.

Feb 7, 2022
Still no answer on Jonah 2:6 (for
ever); neither Genesis 49:26 (everlasting hills), from the eternal torment crowd. All they can muster is that eternal life goes to the repentant, which was never in question. Of course the repentant are going to live unendingly, they have God who is life, but the unrepentant don't. The unrepentant are spiritually dead already, and when cast into the lake of fire (which burns upon the whole earth, Rev 20), will die physically by that fire they cannot put out, and they will be brought to ashes, even satan, and thus be twice dead, dead-dead and gone permanently. Affliction of sin, satan and selfishness shall not arise the second time (Nahum 1:9).