Introducing myself

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

HillsboroMom

Jan 3, 2021
I was really hoping to find a place to do "live chat" with other Christians, but the application seems not to be working.

Anyway, hello. I'm a liberal Christian in Oregon, married to a conservative Christian and making it work somehow :) We have an 11-year-old boy who is awesome and brilliant. Hoping to find like-minded people to chat with.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Hello and welcome to CC, H-Mom.

This is the "written discussion" site; you can download the live-chat app at the top of the main page. :)

Isny

Jan 15, 2017
Hello H-Mom, we are glad that you have joined us here at Christian Chat. Most members do find plenty of interaction with other members here in the forums. Look through the forums to find a thread and join in on the conversation or start your own thread.

We look forward to "chatting" with you and hope you find many friends and good fellowship here. Welcome!:)

oyster67

May 24, 2014
I was really hoping to find a place to do "live chat" with other Christians, but the application seems not to be working.

Anyway, hello. I'm a liberal Christian in Oregon, married to a conservative Christian and making it work somehow :) We have an 11-year-old boy who is awesome and brilliant. Hoping to find like-minded people to chat with.
Hi, mom! I am older than you! (53):) I don't know much about chatting, but I enjoy writing these little notes. Always happy to welcome another sister in Jesus! So glad you came. Not sure where I fit in on the lib-con scale, but I know that Jesus loves both of us very much! PTL!

shineyourlight

May 25, 2015

I'm actually going to Hillsboro in June/July to visit someone! :)

Welcome to the forums!

Dec 31, 2020
Welcome to the Forum, Hillsboro Mom!

You are not the only one who has had a problem with the chat app. While I was able to download the application, the application would not install on my computer. I quit trying to install it after several attempts. Later, the Ccleaner identified the application as something that does something to the registry keys on my computer? I had been having issues with my computer crashing several times after my attempt to install the application even though I scanned the 'downloader' file to make certain there was no threat.

BlessedByGod

Sep 28, 2019

Hello HillsboroMom and Welcome to Christian Chat!

Ya, many new folks have come on here trying to use the Live Chat with the same results. But this is pretty fun too.
Coodoos to you and your hubby making the two political views work.
I pray you will be Blessed in your time here and in your personal life.

3angelsmsg

Mar 1, 2018

Hello HillsboroMom, welcome to CC. I hope to see you around in the forums, and sharing those gems with us.

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
Welcome to CC , HillsboroMom and so nice to have you joining us! That is so cool how you & your husband can overcome political views with the love of Christ:) I admire you both. God bless you and your family!

Mel85

Daughter of the True King
Mar 28, 2018

Welcome to CC :)

See you around the forums.

Blessings in Jesus Name ✝️🙏🏽❤️

Jan 24, 2021
Hi I'm also new to this chat. Been a believer since the 90's. Accepted the Lord in '83(but backslid due to lack of). But I'm curious on your response if bring a liberal Christian. Please explain.

HillsboroMom

Jan 3, 2021
But I'm curious on your response if bring a liberal Christian. Please explain.
Well, like with anything, where ever 3 or 4 are gathered, you'll find 5 different opinions about it! But here's a general outline:

First of all, I find it funny that we're called "liberal Christians." If you don't know church history, you might be tempted to think that "liberal Christians" are some emerging movement within Christianity that's come out in the last 50 years or so. We're often labeled this way by other Christian (those who aren't "liberal,") who say we're rejecting traditional Christianity. But in fact, most "liberal Christians" actually prefer a more traditional (1) worship, (2) mission work, and (3) interpretation of Scripture than those who reject the label.

(1) Worship
Most liberal Christians (though not all) seem to prefer "liturgical worship," which means we come from the older Christian traditions -- i.e. Catholic, Lutheran, etc. We like to use the same rituals that have been used for thousands of years, because we see that it puts us in a community of saints with billions of Christians throughout time and space. That tradition is important to us.

Now, mind you, I'm not saying Lutherans are "better" than Baptists or anything like that. I'm simply pointing out a trend, and showing one way that we're different. Most (not all) liberal Christians are found in liturgical churches. Most (not all) liturgical churches are more "liberal" in the other ways (see below). It's not 100%, but it is a trend.

(2) Mission work
We tend to emphasize social justice. It's not that we ignore other Biblical messages, we just don't see them as important, based on what we see in the Bible. We've been accused of throwing out the 10 commandments, and that's not true. We do believe in the 10 commandments. We just think that Jesus' message about how we should treat others was way more important than not coveting your neighbor's wife and such, and our preaching, teaching, and missions reflect that.

The biggest example that comes up is homosexuality. On the extreme liberal side, some liberal Christians will say that homosexuality is okay, and that the Biblical statements against it are misinterpretations. On the more moderate side, some will say that homosexuality is a sin, but that it's no worse than, say, lying, or gossiping, or smoking. In between, you'll see a variety of other beliefs. For example, some make a distinction that homosexuality per se isn't a sin, but acting on it is, and gays need to learn to be abstinent and love the Lord. Some will say that homosexuality is incompatible with a Christian life, but who are we to judge non-Christians? These people will likely support gay rights. You can imagine other ideas in that vein. While these different ideas all exist within "liberal Christianity," what we do agree on is that we don't really think it's that big of a deal, certainly not one that warrants as much attention as some other churches seem to give it. Jesus never mentioned it, but he mentioned feeding the poor hundreds of times. Perhaps we should spend less time worrying about who is sleeping with whom, and more time feeding them. Thus, social justice.

(3) Biblical interpretation
We liberal Christians follow the older tradition of understanding the Bible as parable, allegory, or various other types of literature, and we are less likely to take certain passages literally.

For example, many liberal Christians accept evolution as compatible with OEC, recognizing "yom" as describing periods or epochs rather than 24-hour periods. We're also more likely to understand Prophetic literature as God speaking (through the Prophets) to people of their own time rather than predicting future events.

This is how the Hebrew Bible was understood for over a thousand years before the time of Jesus. The "meta" meaning was always more important than the base, literal meaning. Always. This is how Jesus and all of his disciples, and Saul before his conversion, would have been taught, and how they in turn, would have understood the Old Testament. This is how the earliest Christians would have understood it, and how all Christians understood it until very recently. It wasn't until the late 1800s, in fact, when a few American preachers with no seminary training made the "inerrancy" claim that the literal meaning was even considered, let alone raised up as the "only" acceptable interpretation.

I hope that helps. If you have some more specific questions, feel free to ask.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Hi I'm also new to this chat. Been a believer since the 90's. Accepted the Lord in '83(but backslid due to lack of). But I'm curious on your response if bring a liberal Christian. Please explain.
Glad to have you onboard as well. Welcome to CC.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Hi I'm also new to this chat. Been a believer since the 90's. Accepted the Lord in '83 (but backslid
due to lack of). But I'm curious on your response if bring a liberal Christian. Please explain.

:)

B

Bate

Hellooooo!
Welcome to CC!