Is a good conscience from the Holy Spirit?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Heyjude

Sep 7, 2019
Is a good conscience from the Holy Spirit? If not, where is it from?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Once one has been convinced of sin, repented and believes Jesus, Yeshua, kthat indiviual will always be pretty positive as to what is sin and what is not. So, yes, it is from the Holy Spirit...…..

Heyjude

Sep 7, 2019
Once one has been convinced of sin, repented and believes Jesus, Yeshua, kthat indiviual will always be pretty positive as to what is sin and what is not. So, yes, it is from the Holy Spirit...…..

Heyjude

Sep 7, 2019
So do you think they cannot receive a good conscience without Jesus? In other words, can someone have a good conscience even if they had never heard of Jesus?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
So do you think they cannot receive a good conscience without Jesus? In other words, can someone have a good conscience even if they had never heard of Jesus?
There are related teachings in the Word. God declares He will justify the ungodly, ergo were I to answer you with a NO, I would be judgin in the stead of Jesus, therefore that would be wrong for me.

God declares He will take the lowly to bring down the haughty. He will use what is not to bring down what is.

I do not petend to know extly what this all means, but I do believe I understand for myself enough to praise God for His wonder and wisdom in all He does. He is always good, so we do not have God on trial here, and God forbid I am......l

Feb 28, 2016
our experience has been, even though God cleanses your conscience so that we can be
a (new-man-woman) in Christ, sometimes we do wrestle with 'old-guilt-habits', but,
we WILL be taught how to 'over-come' by The Holy Spirit -
Christ starts us off with a clean conscience when we become a 'new-creature',
and as Paul has stated, we MUST keep clean, our 'conscience', else we're not
respecting Christ's Blood Sacrifice...

1TIM. 1:19.
Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck:,,,
ACTS 24:16.
And herein do I exercise myself, to have always a conscience void of offence toward God, and toward men.

HEB. 9:14.
How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through The Eternal Spirit offered Himself
without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the LLiving God?

Heyjude

Sep 7, 2019
There are related teachings in the Word. God declares He will justify the ungodly, ergo were I to answer you with a NO, I would be judgin in the stead of Jesus, therefore that would be wrong for me.

God declares He will take the lowly to bring down the haughty. He will use what is not to bring down what is.

I do not petend to know extly what this all means, but I do believe I understand for myself enough to praise God for His wonder and wisdom in all He does. He is always good, so we do not have God on trial here, and God forbid I am......l
Thanks for that Jaumel, I think you answering so clearly. Its just one of those questions that pops up sometimes, I never know what to say (you know)... Nice to meet you by the way!

Heyjude

Sep 7, 2019
our experience has been, even though God cleanses your conscience so that we can be
a (new-man-woman) in Christ, sometimes we do wrestle with 'old-guilt-habits', but,

Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck:,,,
And herein do I exercise myself, to have always a conscience void of offence toward God, and toward men.

How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through The Eternal Spirit offered Himself
without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
Thats a good answer too. I heard a Pastor once say that a good conscience is something that is put in a child when they are young through good Christian doctrine, that they may abandon or rebel against later, then go back to. He reckoned they could not get a good conscience without that to start and they just "remember themselves" but I don't know. I know a lot of people I admire on their integrity who don't seem to advertise their faith (but walk the walk), when I ask them about whether they had a Church upbringing in youth they usually say, yes actually they did. I guess some "go about upspotted".

"For all who have sinned without the Law will also perish without the Law, and all who have sinned under the Law will be judged by the Law; for it is not the hearers of the Law who are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified. For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them, on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge the secrets of men through Christ Jesus (Romans 2:12-16)"

Heyjude

Sep 7, 2019
Definitely yes.
Love your username. Na na na na . . .
Hi and thanks, the user name actually is funny when some say "Hey Jude" then realise they have to say "Hey, Hey Jude" hahaha. Was going to be Steely Dan but yer know...didnt want to steal the other Dan's thunder. That or Trundling Wheelbarrow.

Heyjude

Sep 7, 2019

without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the LLiving God?
Yes I suppose that's why Jesus talked about Children so much as you can see they haven't learned anything about Evil when young and seem naturally good when nearly born. No wonder Jesus made it clear (in no uncertain terms) what the fate of those who corrupt them is.

Mar 23, 2016
[bold mine]
"For all who have sinned without the Law will also perish without the Law, and all who have sinned under the Law will be judged by the Law; for it is not the hearers of the Law who are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified. For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them, on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge the secrets of men through Christ Jesus (Romans 2:12-16)"
I believe everyone has a conscience and everyone has the work of the law written in their hearts.

I also believe only the born again one has the law written in his/her heart, which writing is begun by God the moment a person is born again and God continues to write on the heart of the believer the rest of his/her life here on this earth.

I believe there is a difference between the work of the law written in the heart (Rom 2:15) and the law written in the heart (Heb 10:16).

The work of the law written in the heart is what God placed in mankind (in His infinite wisdom) so that mankind would be able to know right from wrong. Once Adam/Eve fell, and as progeny of Adam/Eve moved further and further from God, it is this work of the law written in the heart that allows mankind to differentiate between right and wrong.

The conscience is the barometer which allows believer and unbeliever to know when he/she has or has not done according to the work of the law written in the heart.

The voice of the conscience is easily drowned out by the temptations of this life as the lusts of the flesh entice us to turn from God. Temptation in and of itself is not sin. Even our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ was tempted. Sin is the result of our turning from God and allowing our flesh to rule over us to the point where we do that which is contrary to what God tells us to do.

Some people continuously turn from God to the point where their hearts become hardened and they no longer consider that evil is evil. There are some who have their conscience seared with a hot iron. People don't start out this way. It takes a continuous rejection of God's truth in the heart to get to the point where they call evil "good" and good "evil".

E

eternally-gratefull

A clear conscious only comes from being forgiven

If we are not forgiven or do not believe it, our own flesh and satan will do all it can to make us (as beliebers) feel guilty. Which for a believer is not a good place to be

Mar 28, 2016
Its a good tool that must daily searched by comparing it to the spirit of faith to see if the thoughts of our hearts are of God like with the Bereans in Acts hearing Paul preach .But a good conscience is because we have the power to mix faith as our treasure in these earthen bodies. Pray that we do not abuse it and it will protect

2 Corinthians 4:6-8 (ERV) God once said, “Let light shine out of the darkness! And this is the same God who made his light shine in our hearts to let us know that his own divine greatness is seen in the face of Christ. We have this treasure from God, but we are only like clay jars that hold the treasure. This is to show that the amazing power we have is from God, not from us. We have troubles all around us, but we are not defeated. We often don’t know what to do, but we don’t give up.

TM19782017

Dec 15, 2018
Is a good conscience from the Holy Spirit? If not, where is it from?
Tell me in words what is a GOOD conscience?

Do you believe we have the authority to say what is good and what is bad?

Heyjude

Sep 7, 2019
Morning TM and lots of numbers. Nice to meet you. Hey Jude here.

A "good" question. What is Good. Only God is Good we are taught.

I guess covering the subject of "good" could get into all sorts of rhetoric. I am talking about what is obviously good, not on a world scale. People can justify anything and Point to something and say "see this example"? But a bad example is never a good example is it?

If a leader goes to War (which involved killing) then he often says "It is "good" to go to war". Oh yeah? Who says? Only the leader says and thinks that. He says in his heart he is justified as he sees it as "good to go to war". You could say he is self justified or being self righteous in his view, as not everybody believes in war.

On the other hand, it is a very difficult question for most Pastors to answer and they sometimes avoid it like the plague.

One man stood up in church and asked at question time,

"When you read the story of King David, who was supposed to be a "man after Gods heart", how do you justify all the people he slaughtered? After all, if someone were like that today, we would probably convict them of war crimes or lock them up (at some point when the truth had come to light anyhow). How can he be a "man after Gods heart then?"

I cannot answer that either - that's why I come on this group to find the answers to know how to respond to these questions.

There is a passage that reads

" David arose and went, he and his men, and killed two hundred men of the Philistines. And David brought their foreskins, and they gave them in full count to the king, that he might become the king’s son-in-law. Then Saul gave him Michal his daughter as a wife".1 Samuel 18.27.

I wouldnt know how to answer that one either. What do you think?

I was only speaking in the "doing what your heart tells you is right" sort of way. Like in Pinocchio where it says "always let your conscience be your guide". Who is the guide?

Melach

Mar 28, 2019
Morning TM and lots of numbers. Nice to meet you. Hey Jude here.

A "good" question. What is Good. Only God is Good we are taught.

I guess covering the subject of "good" could get into all sorts of rhetoric. I am talking about what is obviously good, not on a world scale. People can justify anything and Point to something and say "see this example"? But a bad example is never a good example is it?

If a leader goes to War (which involved killing) then he often says "It is "good" to go to war". Oh yeah? Who says? Only the leader says and thinks that. He says in his heart he is justified as he sees it as "good to go to war". You could say he is self justified or being self righteous in his view, as not everybody believes in war.

On the other hand, it is a very difficult question for most Pastors to answer and they sometimes avoid it like the plague.

One man stood up in church and asked at question time,

"When you read the story of King David, who was supposed to be a "man after Gods heart", how do you justify all the people he slaughtered? After all, if someone were like that today, we would probably convict them of war crimes or lock them up (at some point when the truth had come to light anyhow). How can he be a "man after Gods heart then?"

I cannot answer that either - that's why I come on this group to find the answers to know how to respond to these questions.

There is a passage that reads

" David arose and went, he and his men, and killed two hundred men of the Philistines. And David brought their foreskins, and they gave them in full count to the king, that he might become the king’s son-in-law. Then Saul gave him Michal his daughter as a wife".1 Samuel 18.27.

I wouldnt know how to answer that one either. What do you think?

I was only speaking in the "doing what your heart tells you is right" sort of way. Like in Pinocchio where it says "always let your conscience be your guide". Who is the guide?
wow i couldnt believe this was in the bible i had to go read it and its there what a shock. im in shock.

sick people those hebrews were. crazy. why exactly is this in the bible? i mostly only read new testament and now i dont regret my decision. horrible immoral behavior. i also sympathize with the marcion and gnostics who figured the o.t god was completely different from Jesus' father i mean look at the difference of behavior in nt apostles and ot people. and also in behavior of God. something is not right i dont know what it is but this is the kind of stuff that makes people never convert to christianity if they find this. hope no atheist comes to this topic.

please anyone who has a legimite answer to this, answer and dont give me that "its the ot things were different back then people were different back then" its not a good reason.

Heyjude

Sep 7, 2019
Hi Melach. Well here goes.

It is very tricky.

Sorry this is long but I do not want this left unsaid for many of the reasons below.

Out of all of the people in the Old Testament and the New Testament, apart from Jesus, all of them did something wrong (so at one time they could not have been following the True God at some points in their lives). Well apart from Joseph, but it depends if you call boasting about his dreams to his brothers causing jealousy "wrong". There isn't one person who did all they should at some point, including David, despite David being a “man after his own heart.''

David sinned (greatly) with the Uriah/Bathsheba incident. Solomon ignored God's word when he collected many horses, gold etc and was supposed to not take "many wives". He then went on and married 700 wives and didn't even up like any of them.

The Book of Ecclesiastes is pretty much an account of Solomons regret at doing wrong and failing God so much (despite him being “wise”) and how "pointless" it all was all his vanity.

That is why we have to be very careful quoting chapter and verse of the Scriptures at people, because if you do that, you could be quoting a lie. After all, in the Book of Job, which is said to be the oldest recorded book in the world, in the lengthy almost poetic verses that are written, one of them is lying (and God turns up in a tornado later and says as much). Satan has been given power over this world to all those who are not following God. That is why Satan even tells Jesus at the temptation, “as I have been given power to do so”.Jesus does not say “no you havent” as he knows Satan is the ruler of this world. That is why Jesus came to save the world.

I do not agree with all that some Pastors say but I do agree with John MacArthur on his famous quote "A text taken out of context becomes a pretext".

We cannot just pile up chapter and verse out of context and wave it in peoples faces, without it giving a correct view of how it was said, who it was said to and the circumstances under which these things were said or done. I guess that is why it says "Blessed are those that read". The more you read the Word, the more you find out the Truth. Seek and ye shall find, knock and the door will be open to you. You just have to look. Most people can't be bothered.

So what shall we say then? David was following Satan as following Satan's will is not God's will. People should not be “lukewarm” about who they follow as God says he doesn't like what is lukewarm (one foot in both camps or double minded) and he even tells the Laodicians he will “spew you out of my mouth” if you are lukewarm.

On Bob Dylan wrote lyrics and he sings

But you're gonna have to serve somebody, yes you are

You're gonna have to serve somebody

Well, it may be the devil or it may be the Lord

But you're gonna have to serve somebody

Sounds about right.

Anyone who does not follow God is without the Truth and clearly some of these people did not at given times, even Kings (Saul with the Witch of Endor/David with Uriah/Bathsheba etc). Many point to when David numbered his army when he was instructed not to.

Now Satan stood up against Israel, and moved David to number Israel. (1 Chronicles 21:1)

God didn't tell David to do that, yet we are sure that God is not the author of sin and He tempts no man to sin (James 1:13).

David had angered God by doing this, so we can be sure that God isn't going to be angry with David unless he had disobeyed him. Clearly David is listening to two different "Lords". David’s order to count the people made God angry, and he punished Israel.

9 The Lord said to Gad, one of David’s prophets, 10 “Tell David that I will punish him in one of three ways. But he will have to choose which one it will be.”

11 Gad went to David and told him.

So all through the accounts of the OT and NT there are cases of disobedience. Clearly, even those who are able to "cast out demons in his name" or even “prophecy in my name” are ABLE to do so, but cannot come into the Kingdom of Heaven as Jesus says so.He says he doesn't even know them actually.

He even says whores and publicans will get in before others will because they have believed what they have seen, yet others who have seen clearly with their own eyes still did not believe. After all, didn't the rulers try to kill Lazarus again, after Jesus had raised him from the dead? They were denying even the truth so boldly when it was obvious. What was the point? Surely they would know if Jesus raised Lazarus and they saw Lazarus walking about after 4 days in the grave, why bother try kill him again? Their vanity had made them stupid.

Also, Jesus shows even each of his own denied him or betrayed him (even one of the 12 Jesus had chosen himself). Peter denied him and was actually called "Satan" one minute by Jesus and the next praised for getting it right because what he had next spoken in the very same conversation, could only have been revealed to him from Heaven.

Some of the followers departed from him as they didn't like his sayings when he said "eat my flesh and drink my blood" misunderstanding what Jesus meant. There are lots of cases in the OT and NT that show that these men are just that, men and Jesus knew what was in the hearts of men. Only Jesus and his Word can be trusted as a first base way to go when in doubt of who is right or wrong as he only speaks what the Father reveals to him. That is why when I said in one of my previous posts, that if anyone finds Scripture hard to understand or interpret, compare it to the Word of Jesus and if it does not fit, question everything.

You have to remember that this is one of the biggest bones of contention in belief or no belief in God. Richard Dawkins based his book "The God Delusion" based on how cruel and angry the OT God was. People always point to these horrific verses of injustice like the story of David, so that is why Bible Study is so important. Precept by Precept, Line by Line. I think we are just supposed to know the difference between good and evil. The Holy Ghost is there to tell us if in doubt.

Pay attention of these verses.

Luke 11 (kjv)

19 And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your sons cast them out? therefore shall they be your judges.

Who are the judges Jesus talks of?

Also here

34 The light of the body is the eye: therefore when thine eye is single, thy whole body also is full of light; but when thine eye is evil, thy body also is full of darkness.

35 Take heed therefore that the light which is in thee be not darkness.

So when David did evil or any other, that means their whole body was full of darkness. AT THAT TIME.

Also

47 And that servant, which knew his Lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.

48 But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask even more.

In other words, Jesus is talking about the servants which knew his Lords will yet even they are in danger of getting beaten with many stripes.

And do not think he is talking to those who are not of his own or non believers either.

As Peter asked “is he saying these things to even them?

Jesus replies

57 Yea, and why even of yourselves judge ye not what is right?

58 When thou goest with thine adversary to the magistrate, as thou art in the way, give diligence that thou mayest be delivered from him; lest he hale thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and the officer cast thee into prison.

59 I tell thee, thou shalt not depart thence, till thou hast paid the very last farthing.

23 He that is not with me is against me: and he that gathereth not with me scattereth.

I am not saying that any of the NT should be doubted if not spoken by Jesus, (God forbid) please do not twist my words people, but the Four Gospels are an account of his words at that time and some of the writers were actually there or knew Jesus himself, not some time later.

So if in doubt, who are you going to believe if you misunderstand the Scripture, Man or God? I do not think it is a trap to see who of us is listening or paying attention (or even studying at all) that is not what I am saying. But why take a chance? There were only 8 in the boat after all out of millions....and it does speak of a "snare". Isn't a snare a "trap"? Just be careful. No one wants to think after everything that they get to be heard by Jesus “I do not know you”. Do they? But Jesus clearly states that this is going to happen.

Luke 21 talks of a "snare".

35 For as a snare shall it come on all them that dwell on the face of the whole earth.