Is all scripture plain to understand?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
Hi goujing,

I understand the Kingdom of God. The sense of everything under God's kingdom and the narrower sense of His reign over His people. Kingdom of heaven and Kingdom of God are two ways of saying the same thing. (The answer is simple why would Matthew use the word heaven instead of God?). Never mind the Kingdom of God would make a good thread on its own.

You seem to be saying there is one of salvation for the Jews and one for Gentiles? But isn't Peter writing to the elect exiles.. All those in Christ away from home.. we are awaiting.

So this make this really simple.

Do Jesus and Paul agree on How one must be saved?

Jan 12, 2019
Hi goujing,

I understand the Kingdom of God. The sense of everything under God's kingdom and the narrower sense of His reign over His people. Kingdom of heaven and Kingdom of God are two ways of saying the same thing. (The answer is simple why would Matthew use the word heaven instead of God?). Never mind the Kingdom of God would make a good thread on its own.

You seem to be saying there is one of salvation for the Jews and one for Gentiles? But isn't Peter writing to the elect exiles.. All those in Christ away from home.. we are awaiting.

You must understand the distinction between time past and but now.

Jesus was preaching to Israel only during his 1st coming in time past (Matthew 15:24, Romans 15:8, Ephesians 2:11-12).

In time past, salvation is by the Jews (John 4:22), we gentiles had to become part of Israel to be included the covenant God made with Israel (Ephesians 2:11-12).

And for Israel, their final salvation only comes at the 2nd coming of Jesus (Acts 3:19-21, 1 Peter 1:9)

But now, there is only one gospel that saves for everyone, which is found in Paul's writings, summed up by 1 Cor 15:1-4. We get salvation immediately when we believe the gospel found in 1 Cor 15:1-4

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
be blotted out.

And when will their sins be blotted out? In the future, when Jesus Christ returns for them, in his 2nd coming, the so called "times of refreshing".

This view by Peter is reaffirmed by what he wrote to the Jews in 1 Peter 4:17-18

17 For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?

18 And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?

Paul does not teach the Body of Christ that. We are forgiven the moment we believe in his death burial and resurrection for our sins.

It is not a may be, nor will it only come in the future.

Hi Guojing,

So you are saying that the the sins of God's people are not yet forging or blotted out as you put it?

Surely this can't be true as Paul tells us:

24 and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. 25 God presented Christ as a sacrifice of atonement, through the shedding of his blood—to be received by faith. He did this to demonstrate his righteousness, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished— 26 he did it to demonstrate his righteousness at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus.

Jan 12, 2019
Hi Guojing,

So you are saying that the the sins of God's people are not yet forging or blotted out as you put it?

Surely this can't be true as Paul tells us:

24 and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. 25 God presented Christ as a sacrifice of atonement, through the shedding of his blood—to be received by faith. He did this to demonstrate his righteousness, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished— 26 he did it to demonstrate his righteousness at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus.
Think of it this way.

There is the nation Israel. As of now, the nation of Israel has fallen, but thru that fall, salvation has come to the entire world (Romans 11:11)

There is a remnant of Israel that is called the little flock that is now in Abraham's bosom or Paradise, which refers to those saved under the gospel of the circumcision that James Peter and John were preaching throughout Acts (Galatians 2:7-9).

Their sins will only be blotted out at the 2nd coming, together with David and the other OT saints.

For the rest of us, we are the body of Christ to denote all Jews and gentiles that were saved under Paul's gospel of the uncircumcision (Romans 16:25), for clarity.

We have forgiveness of sins now, as what you quoted from Paul.

Just remember, the Body of Christ is NOT the nation Israel.

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
Think of it this way.

There is the nation Israel. As of now, the nation of Israel has fallen, but thru that fall, salvation has come to the entire world (Romans 11:11)

There is a remnant of Israel that is called the little flock that is now in Abraham's bosom or Paradise, which refers to those saved under the gospel of the circumcision that James Peter and John were preaching throughout Acts (Galatians 2:7-9).

Their sins will only be blotted out at the 2nd coming, together with David and the other OT saints.

For the rest of us, we are the body of Christ to denote all Jews and gentiles that were saved under Paul's gospel of the uncircumcision (Romans 16:25), for clarity.

We have forgiveness of sins now, as what you quoted from Paul.

Just remember, the Body of Christ is NOT the nation Israel.

Hi Guoujing,

I don't think you have realized I'm not a dispensationalist. So I won't agree with you that there are two different and distinct peoples of God.. Paul says there is neither Jew nor greek but we are all one in Christ. But rest assured I do understand what you are trying to say.

Although I don't agree with the Dispensational Hermanuetic I still hold those who do to be my brothers and sisters in Christ.

I'm pointing out that what 'throughfaith' has been posting has been refuted and rejected by all Christians including Dispensationalists. He's unbiblical (and that's a dispensationalist saying that not me).

May 22, 2020
VII. All things in Scripture are not alike plain in themselves, nor alike clear unto all:(p) yet those things which are necessary to be known, believed, and observed for salvation, are so clearly propounded and opened in some place of Scripture or other, that not only the learned, but the unlearned, in a due use of the ordinary means, may attain unto a sufficient understanding of them.(q)

(p) II Pet. 3:16.
(q) Psalm 119:105, 130.

Would you agree with the above statement? why or why not?
Some things are reserved for our Father's knowledge only.
It will be revealed in due time.

The three things we must do...Repentance, baptism, and living a righteous life...is presented in the Bible many ways, even a child of 10 or so can understand it.
The Bible say we individually will be feed understanding as we are able to receive it.

Jan 12, 2019
Hi Guoujing,

I don't think you have realized I'm not a dispensationalist. So I won't agree with you that there are two different and distinct peoples of God.. Paul says there is neither Jew nor greek but we are all one in Christ. But rest assured I do understand what you are trying to say.

Although I don't agree with the Dispensational Hermanuetic I still hold those who do to be my brothers and sisters in Christ.

I'm pointing out that what 'throughfaith' has been posting has been refuted and rejected by all Christians including Dispensationalists. He's unbiblical (and that's a dispensationalist saying that not me).
In the Body of Christ, yes there is neither Jew nor greek, as I have stated to you

For the rest of us, we are the body of Christ to denote all Jews and gentiles that were saved under Paul's gospel of the uncircumcision

But yeah, it has been nice discussing scripture with you cordially. God bless you.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
So a long winded way of saying Jesus taught works righteousness.
No thats the spin you keep trying to put on it as a scare tactic .Works righteousness says we can make ourselves righteous before God by our obedience.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Hi goujing,

Kingdom of heaven and Kingdom of God are spelled different and they are different words . Things different are not the same .

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Hi Guoujing,

Which I've repeatedly corrected you on and you carry on reguardless .

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Hi Guoujing,

1 Corinthians 10:32

“Give none offence, neither to the Jews, ( 1 ) nor to the Gentiles,(2) nor to the church of God:”,(3)

E

eternally-gratefull

Hi Guoujing,

Hey brother just show you know, as a dispensationalist myself, I reject what mr G is preaching, he does not hold to mainstream dispensationalism. In fact much of what he says I have never heard of. That’s why I usually just skip over what he says

Jan 12, 2019
Hey brother just show you know, as a dispensationalist myself, I reject what mr G is preaching, he does not hold to mainstream dispensationalism. In fact much of what he says I have never heard of. That’s why I usually just skip over what he says
I provided scripture for many of my points. If you want to interpret them differently, that is up to you.

You are more of a covenant theologian rather than a dispensationalist, as I have said many times to you.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
Kingdom of heaven and Kingdom of God are spelled different and they are different words . Things different are not the same .
I heard a preacher once say, “Birds fly in heaven. Birds don’t fly in God.“

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Just as the kingdom of Edward VII and the kingdom of Britain are (were) different. (One cannot rightly say the kingdom of Elizabeth II).

One is a statement of geography, one is a statement of identity. However, that does not mean two distinct kingdoms are in view.

Jun 25, 2020
VII. All things in Scripture are not alike plain in themselves, nor alike clear unto all:(p) yet those things which are necessary to be known, believed, and observed for salvation, are so clearly propounded and opened in some place of Scripture or other, that not only the learned, but the unlearned, in a due use of the ordinary means, may attain unto a sufficient understanding of them.(q)

(p) II Pet. 3:16.
(q) Psalm 119:105, 130.

Would you agree with the above statement? why or why not?
Hello Phil36

My comments are more related to 2 Peter 3:16

Peter explains in 2 Peter 3:15-16 that the writings of Paul are hard to be understood and people twist his writings to their own destruction.

When a person analyses the teachings of Jesus; writings of Peter, James, Jude, John and Paul. You will notice that the Jesus, Peter, James, Jude and John are straight-forward and it is not easy to misinterpret them. The writings of Paul however are more diplomatic and not always straight-forward. Writings that are not straight-forward are not easily understood and can be twisted easily misinterpreted easily.

A person who doesn't take sides in a fight but who instead helps others to resolve their differences is an example of someone who is diplomatic.

I am able to identify this character trait of Paul because my mother is a diplomatic person. I am more of a straight-forward person.

Diplomatic people want to be friends with everyone and try to avoid conflict, which is a good thing, but the problem is that they create confusion as well.
  • Diplomatic behavior-Saying both negative and positive aspects about a subject or behaviour
My grandparents have both passed away and since my mother is the eldest, she is expected to resolve family fights and resolve issues. If you have been in these family meetings, where two family members are fighting and one wronged the other, you will hear her talking about the positive and negative actions about each person’s action. You will not actually know whose side she is one and who she thought the wrong doer was. Then after long arguments she will eventually say that the two parties should decide for themselves as to what the correct course of action is since they are adults. (I honestly think that she should not be in charge of these meetings).

The apostle Paul is like that. He likes to speak both the negative and positives causing a person not to know whether something is good or bad and whether it is right or wrong and whether a Christian should do it or not.

Example of Paul saying positive and negative aspects of a subject

Romans 7:7-9
What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet. But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead. For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.

Romans 7:12
Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.

Now is the law good or bad based on what Paul said? From verse 7 to 9 Paul implies that it is bad and then verse 12 implies that it is good.

Example of Paul saying it is fine and not fine to for a Christian to do something

1 Corinthians 8:4-13
As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one…But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse…Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.

1 Corinthians 10:19-22
Do I mean then that food sacrificed to an idol is anything, or that an idol is anything? No, but the sacrifices of pagans are offered to demons, not to God, and I do not want you to be participants with demons. You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons too; you cannot have a part in both the Lord’s table and the table of demons. Are we trying to arouse the Lord’s jealousy? Are we stronger than he?

I only put parts of chapter 8, but when you read the whole chapter it implies that it is fine to eat food offered to idols as long as it does not offend anyone. Chapter 10 implies that it is not fine to eat such foods. Many would see this as a contradiction, but it is not. Diplomatic people unfortunately like to state things like this to avoid conflict with others. He wants to please the Corinthians, but at the same time God does not want idolatry. Diplomatic people also tend to not want to tell people what to do and expect people to decide for themselves as we see in Chapter 8. For carnal Christians, this is problematic because they will choose the easier option and an option that suits them.
  • Need to compare scripture with scripture
1 Corinthians 2:13

Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

In order to obtain the correct interpretation of a subject, different bible verses need to compared to each other and different bible writers should also be compared.

Therefore if there is another writer bible that also speaks about the same subject that Paul speaks about, you should refer to other bible writer to get a proper understanding.

Example of the law-If you read what Jesus and James said about the law that you will interpret that the law is overall good and not bad, since Jesus talks about God’s law as a law of love and James says you will be blessed if you keep the law. They do not say anything negative about the law, unlike Paul. (Matthew 22:36-40, James 1:25)

Example of food offered to idols-Fortunately, it is not only Paul, but Acts written by Luke who is straight-forward also speaks about food offered to idols. When you read Acts your overall conclusion is that Christians should not eat food offered to idols.

Acts 15:29
You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality. You will do well to avoid these things.

All the bible verses need to be compared to each other from different writers.
If Paul is “contradicting” Jesus, Peter, John and James, then you are misinterpreting the teachings of Paul. The entire New Testament must be in harmony with one another. There are not contradictions (just diplomacy by Paul).
  • Two or three witnesses rule
2 Corinthians 13:1
This is the third time I am coming to you. In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established.

Matthew 18:16
But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.

In order to get the correct interpretation, it is beneficial to obtain the teaching of a subject from two or three writers of the bible. If Peter, Paul and Jesus for example all agree on a subject, then your interpretation is most likely to be correct.

Also if you cannot find two or three writers, then it least try to find two or three bible verses that agree.
  • Overall
Because the writings of Paul are easy to twist, there are Christians who want to look at only his writings and therefore interpret the bible that suits them. When the writings of Jesus are mentioned, then you will hear some Christians including in this forum say that Jesus was speaking to the Jews only. If there is reference to Peter, John or James, then they also want to ignore them and say you must look at the context. These excuses are stated because Jesus, Peter, John, Jude and James cannot be easily misinterpreted and twisted (They are straight-forward). It is also a way of not doing what the bible says. Paul tends to be vague and also tends to imply that Christians have a choice on how to behave, but the others give clear instructions on what must be done.

For your second point - I am in agreement with what Psalm 118:105, 130 says.

However, scripture is plain and a light to those who do not pick and choose what suits them and read the entire bible and compare what the different bible writers state about every subject and behavior. To choose to believe certain parts of the bible and ignore other parts leaves the person in partial darkness.

I hope the above helps.

ewq1938

Oct 18, 2018
They are interchangeable terms actually:

Mat_19:23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Mat_19:24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

The kingdom of heaven and the kingdom of God are the same thing because they are used interchangeably.

The kingdom of heaven AND the kingdom of God is at hand

Mat_3:2 And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
Mat_10:7 And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand.
Mat_4:17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Mar_1:15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.
Luk_21:31 So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand.

Least in the kingdom of heaven AND least in the kingdom of God

Mat_11:11 Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.

Luk_7:28 For I say unto you, Among those that are born of women there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptist: but he that is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he.

Mysteries of the kingdom of heaven AND mysteries of the kingdom of God

Mat_13:11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

Luk_8:10 And he said, Unto you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God: but to others in parables; that seeing they might not see, and hearing they might not understand.

Suffer little children: the kingdom of heaven AND the kingdom of God

Mat_19:14 But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.

Mar_10:14 But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.
Luk_18:16 But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.

Jan 12, 2019
That's good. Because I would hate to think that a preoccupation with dispensationalism would take time away from your witnessing to non-believers.
Anyone who believes that animal sacrifices had to be done for sins committed in time past, but no longer required now, is a dispensationalist without even admitting it. ;)

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Anyone who believes that animal sacrifices had to be done for sins committed in time past, but no longer required now, is a dispensationalist without even admitting it.
And do you believe that animal sacrifices are still required?