Is baptism required for salvation?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

roaringkitten

hehe.....good point Baptist!!! Someone was speaking about that yesterday btw!!! Talk about hypothermic baptismal pain!!!

B

Baptistrw

I'd do it, wouldn't you? If I get pneumonia, I think that'd be the way I'd wanna get it :)

R

roaringkitten

Yeah...I would do it too!!! Hey I've ALREADY passed from death to LIFE the moment I believed!!! And if I got pneumonia getting water baptized, so be it!!!hehe

B

Baptistrw

How long ago were you baptized roaring? I got saved in January of 05 then baptized on Easter Sunday 05.

R

roaringkitten

I believe it was Sept of 1996....A long time after I believed though....(I wasn't as mature in the faith when I was younger)......I know that people typically do it directly after their conversion....But at such a young age I didn't really understand the importance of it! hehe......

B

Baptistrw

Yah, I've noticed that kids normally take awhile to be baptized. I think for younger kids it's good to wait and see if they are really saved ya know, like when they bear fruit and the like.

R

roaringkitten

yup......I heard that the world's fastest baptism happened as a group of believers were standing in line....And this kid couldn't wait...So he ran ahead and cannon balled into the water! Making everyone wet!!!hehe

may not have been the "legit" way to do it..But the baptizer was speechless!!!

B

Baptistrw

lol. It'd be nice if believers were that eager to do it now, eh?

R

roaringkitten

certainly......Man, I used to think I was getting baptized every time a large wave submerged me in the ocean!!!hehe......

B

Baptistrw

Sometimes I can remember looking up when I was immersed in the water and seeing my air bubbles lol. I was always afraid of water but after that it hasn't been a big issue.

R

roaringkitten

I believe that is called hydrophobia! I bet you someone would immediately get cured of the fear of water after they believe in the gospel!!!

B

Baptistrw

Let us hope so :)

S

Slepsog4

There are two primary terms translated as FOR from the Greek. GAR can mean because of. EIS on the other hand means into, unto, toward, so that you may have. Acts 2:38 uses the latter. The illustration about the aspirin assumes the former. See Acts 2:38 in the NRSV (New Revised Standard Version); also look at it in the ASV (American Standard Version, 1901). No reputable translation has ever rendered it as "because of."

J

jnrz7292

oh i was thinking too. if baptism was a requirement for salvation. gotta read your posts. i'm new. :)

T

thefightinglamb

Grrr...
Baptism of Infants versus baptism of Understanding Christians--the confusion comes in when you start wondering over 'grace'; Are we saved freely or 'because we see and understand'??? But to see and understand means to some extant the Lord has already changed you...Personally I say no to infant baptism because of the affects...as baptist has said that people believe they know the Lord enough to be called Christian just because they were baptised when young...

It was the same issue with death bed confessionals...then the LORD showed me, we are all on our death beds before he comes--even physical (though it may appear not) because sin is killing us)..

So I truly don't know but I do know I was baptised as an infant and then aslo felt a need to be baptised when I turned from sin when I was older...

And, now for the thread topic...

I do not believe baptism is a commitment in front of Christians or a clebration or anything like that...
Something spiritual happens (I do not know how to explain it). Whenever you follow the Lord and do what he says, he opens doors for you and shows you things, and takes him with him where he is...He commands baptism, if you follow, you see or our changed kind of like an actual wedding than a wedding ring...and you are with Him now...so long as you do not continue in sin...you are clean...remember it was only the Jews that had accepted John's baptism that accepted Jesus's call to repentence and life as well...The Eunuch did not parade his faith in front of people when he was baptised; his soul yearned he saw water and was baptised--who knows if anyone else was there--I would doubt there where any other Christians.

May the Lord bless you all
tony

S

Slepsog4

The Eunuch did not parade his faith in front of people when he was baptised; his soul yearned he saw water and was baptised--who knows if anyone else was there--I would doubt there where any other Christians.
Philip was there! He likely had a driver, maybe even an entourage. How else could he have been reading the scroll of Isaiah as he was traveling?

T

thefightinglamb

There was no Christian to explain it to him, other than Peter--and you think the gentiles rejoiced and celebrated with him that he became a Christian??? I do think the angelic host rejoiced and celebrated but not people, if they were or were not there it doesn't matter--God is the only one who mattered and matters.

May 30, 2008
Then if God could care that much to send Philip to the Eunuch to explain the Bible and Baptise Him, than baptism matters in christianity. I may say it is one of the ORDINANCES that Jesus left to the church.
Mathew 28:19 says: " Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:"
Acts 2:37-39 Now when they heard [this], they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men [and] brethren, what shall we do?
ACTS 2:38
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

ACTS 2:39
39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, [even] as many as the Lord our God shall call. says: "

Then Baptism was ordered by Jesus and the first salvation meeting that was preached by the Apostles they talked of the same baptism.
I think it matters.

Jan 8, 2009
Now if more believers were baptised straight away after conversion instead of months or years later or instead of waiting for that illusive "age of understanding" (whatever a person or church may suppose that to be, as if they'd know...) of a young person , there'd be a lot less worry about whether a person is saved or not if they aren't baptised.

Here's a scenario:

A child believes in the gospel at age 8, the church won't baptise them until age 10 because age 10 is the "official age of accountability", (according to them anyway). The child dies at age 9. Saved or not?

If they believe baptism is necessary for salvation then they better be ready to baptise that kid as soon as he is ready.
If not, they better baptise him as an infant or young child or something so that when he hits the right age of understanding, he has already been baptised.

May 30, 2008
Then if to God age 10 is the age of accountability then he cant count any wrong doing to that child when he is younger.
I dont know whether thats the year but i have seen children being baptised at age 8 as long as they understand what salvation and sin is and have repented their sins as peter required of them that day.
According to peter baptism is after repenting sin and he says you get baptised for remission of those sins you repent.
but an infant how do they repent? maybe i be told.

Status
Not open for further replies.