Is Catholicism the Oldest Christian Faith?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
I don't think his spirit needed to leave his body to do that.
Than how he say his spirit in chorinth? Did he had 2 Spirit, one in his body, one in chorinth?

And you agree, not only Peter had power to bind or lose don't you?

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Yes correct not only Peter. Jesus gave it to all of them.
Yep I agree, it is for real believer, pastor not always real believer, God not consider the status, but the hearth

Aug 14, 2019
Than how he say his spirit in chorinth? Did he had 2 Spirit, one in his body, one in chorinth?

And you agree, not only Peter had power to bind or lose don't you?
The limitations we experience in the material world aren't necessarily experienced in the spiritual.

As for the binding and loosing I never claimed that Peter was the only one Jesus gave it to.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
The limitations we experience in the material world aren't necessarily experienced in the spiritual.

As for the binding and loosing I never claimed that Peter was the only one Jesus gave it to.
Where are you? Are you in America and Europe in the same time?

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Ok, What do you think Paul was describing when he wrote to the Corinthians that he was present there?
I believe it is figurative, he try to say he think about them,pry for them and love them

Aug 14, 2019
I believe it is figurative, he try to say he think about them,pry for them and love them
You may be right. He was asking them to excommunicate someone. A member of their community. It may have been difficult for them to do. Paul emphasizing his presence "as if I am there" would help them follow through with it.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
You may be right. He was asking them to excommunicate someone. A member of their community. It may have been difficult for them to do. Paul emphasizing his presence "as if I am there" would help them follow through with it.
Yep, Paul as their mentor tell them what to do to make the church healthy.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Critical question of this thread.
After Martin Luther posted his 95 theses why would anyone remain in the Catholic church?

How could a Christian just continue to follow what they KNOW is not right? Probably because most of them were threatened economically or bodily.... (In Luthers time. Not now..)

Once you know, for sure, that some of the "policies" of the Catholic church are WRONG, it kind of creates a domino effect in searching for all the rest of the things they have WRONG. They definitely can't claim infallibility like they used to... Not now, since we all have bibles we can check.

E

eternally-gratefull

Well...1st century Christians had a relationship with the Roman state all right.....
um no they did not.. If anything, Look what Rome did to Peter and Paul. thats the kind of relationship they had

E

eternally-gratefull

Founded on Christ the rock with St Peter who's name was changed to 'rock' by Jesus.
Rock is a symbol of stability.
Matt 16-18
And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it.
Matt 7-25
The rain fell, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on rock.
Um, The church was founded on the rock, His name was Christ. Not Peter.. Peter along with the other apostles where the FOUNDATION stones

You do not build a building on a foundation stone (rock) you built it on the cornerstone (christ)

E

eternally-gratefull

Isaiah 22
will place on his shoulder the key of the house of David; he shall open, and no one shall shut; he shall shut, and no one shall open.

Matt 16

Iwill give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”
Wow man

IS 22 is about Christ. Peter did not hang on the cross for the sin of the people..

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Wow man

IS 22 is about Christ. Peter did not hang on the cross for the sin of the people..
Catholics place their "popes" in the place of Christ.

They've been doing it since the beginning. It is nothing for them to continue to do so.

Of course, it is quite silly for a Christian who has been to Christ to accept that a pope is Christ and the popes before them were all christs.

At least, I think it is silly.

E

eternally-gratefull

Catholics place their "popes" in the place of Christ.

They've been doing it since the beginning. It is nothing for them to continue to do so.

Of course, it is quite silly for a Christian who has been to Christ to accept that a pope is Christ and the popes before them were all christs.

At least, I think it is silly.
It is part of the system.. The same system that uses fear about personal interpretation so they wil not go out and read for themselves to see what they have been taught is all a lie.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
It is part of the system.. The same system that uses fear about personal interpretation so they wil not go out and read for themselves to see what they have been taught is all a lie.
Its really interesting that for centuries only the rich and powerful were able to acquire bibles and then pass them down.

It definitely worked for the benefit of the Catholic church for there to not be many bereans checking their bibles for all those centuries.

E

eternally-gratefull

Its really interesting that for centuries only the rich and powerful were able to acquire bibles and then pass them down.

It definitely worked for the benefit of the Catholic church for there to not be many bereans checking their bibles for all those centuries.
It did not hurt their cause to make sure they only read in Latin also.. I am sure most people did not know Latin so had to take them at their word

Aug 14, 2019
Um, The church was founded on the rock, His name was Christ. Not Peter.. Peter along with the other apostles where the FOUNDATION stones

You do not build a building on a foundation stone (rock) you built it on the cornerstone (christ)
Thank you for responding to my post! Yes I agree. The first sentence of my post ; "Founded on Christ the rock ".

Aug 14, 2019
Wow man

But Jesus said this to Simon.

Matt 16
19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.

The Father revealed The Son to Simon when Jesus asked all of them " who do you say that I Am? Then changed Simon's name to Peter.

So, here we have God changing someone's name. An important event in salvation history.

What is the meaning of this? What do you believe happened to Simon Peter when he received the keys of the Kingdom of heaven?

UnitedWithChrist

Aug 12, 2019
Why do people stray from it if it were the original Christian doctrine? How does one know one's Christian walk is true with thousands of Christian sects each purporting to be the truth and damning other sects to hell? Why do we put so much faith in our own opinions and call it God's opinion? Doesn't Christianity claim value to humility? How does thinking our opinion is God's opinion classify as such?
The Roman bishopric was one of several bishoprics. The five major ones were Jerusalem, Antioch, Rome, Constantinople, and Alexandria.

Roman Catholicism does NOT have the original Christian doctrine.

Regarding the number of Christian sects, some of them are cults that deny core Christian teachings. Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy, as well, deny at least one core teaching which is justification by faith alone. I would not categorize either as cults, but as "world religions".

Here are the core Christian teachings from the evangelical perspective:

: 1) the full deity and full humanity of Jesus Christ (Jesus is God and glorified man)
2) monotheism or the belief in one God
3) the doctrine of the Trinity
3) justification by grace alone through faith alone in Jesus Christ alone
5) the inspiration and sole authority of Scripture as the rule of faith
6) substitutionary atonement of Jesus Christ on the cross (Jesus died in the place of the believer)
7) original sin
8) virgin birth of Jesus
9) bodily resurrection of Jesus
10) eternal reward of the righteous and eternal punishment of the unrighteous

There are theologies that violate core Christian teachings, without which a sound understanding of Jesus Christ and his ministry cannot be maintained. Roman Catholicism does this with regards to justification by faith alone.

According to Paul denying that justification is by faith alone is a damning heresy. I believe Rome qualifies as being essentially the same thing as the Judaizers the Galatian letter warned us about.

Do I believe all Roman Catholics are unsaved? No. I think some are saved but others are simply ignorant of true Christian doctrine. I believe God will lead them out of it.

Regarding our "opinions" the above doctrines are clearly taught in Scripture so they are not a matter of opinion. They are a matter of biblical teaching.

In fact, perhaps your struggle is a low regard for God's word, or perhaps you haven't studied it well enough to see that the above are clearly taught in Scripture.

Another issue with Rome is that it believes tradition trumps God's word, when it comes down to it. The Roman church interprets Scripture for the laity, and if the laity sees clear contradictions, they basically go with what the Church teaches, if they are a consistent Roman Catholic. So, Scripture is not the ultimate authority, but it is the Roman Catholic church's interpretation of Scripture.

It was the same way in a cult I belonged to. The founder was the one who interpreted Scripture, and if you challenged his interpretation, you would no longer be welcome and would be disfellowshipped. You had to evaluate Scripture through his interpretative lenses.