Is Catholocism bad?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
All doctrines are to be tested through the Bible. We should not accept an other gospel than the one proclaimed by the apostles.
I was raised in the Roman Catholic church and cannot recall them ever giving a clear gospel presentation. I've heard numerous Catholics admit that they hope to be saved by living a good life. They seek to obey the commandments, participate in the sacraments, go to church, do penance and give alms, recite prayers and so on, in order to help merit salvation. In its official writings, the RCC teaches that faith is important; but it also insists on the necessity of good works to merit eternal life. Please read carefully the following quotations from the Council of Trent on Justification:

Canon 11. If anyone says that men are justified either by the sole imputation of the justice of Christ or by the sole remission of sins, excluding grace and charity which is poured into their hearts by the Holy Spirit and inheres in them, or also that the grace which justifies us is only the favour of God, let him be anathema.

Canon 12. If anyone says that justifying faith is nothing else than confidence in divine mercy, which remits sins for Christ's sake, or that it is this confidence alone that justifies us, let him be anathema.

Canon 24. If anyone says that the justice (righteousness) received is not preserved and also not increased before God through good works but that those works are merely the fruits and signs of justification obtained, but not the cause of the increase, let him be anathema.

Canon 30. If anyone says that after the reception of the grace of justification the guilt is so remitted and the debt of eternal punishment so blotted out to every repentant sinner, that no debt of temporal punishment remains to be discharged either in this world or in purgatory before the gates of heaven can be opened, let him be anathema.

Canon 32. If anyone says that the good works of the one justified are in such manner the gifts of God that they are not also the good merits of him justified; or that the one justified by the good works that he performs by the grace of God and the merit of Jesus Christ (of whom one is a living member), the justified does not truly merit an increase of grace, and eternal life, provided that one dies in the state of grace, the attainment of this eternal life, as well as an increase in glory, let him be anathema.

The official teaching of the RCC would not allow the sinner to rely on the mercy of God and to believe that Christ saves us through faith based on the merits of His finished work of redemption alone and not by based on the merits of our works (Titus 3:5; Romans 3:24-28). Something more is required. You must keep yourself saved by your own good works. You must merit grace and eternal life by your works. You must pay the debt of sins by your penance and your purgatorial sufferings. That is the gospel of Catholicism!

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018
I was raised in the Roman Catholic church and cannot recall them ever giving a clear gospel presentation. I've heard numerous Catholics admit that they hope to be saved by living a good life. They seek to obey the commandments, participate in the sacraments, go to church, do penance and give alms, recite prayers and so on, in order to help merit salvation. In its official writings, the RCC teaches that faith is important; but it also insists on the necessity of good works to merit eternal life. Please read carefully the following quotations from the Council of Trent on Justification:

Canon 11. If anyone says that men are justified either by the sole imputation of the justice of Christ or by the sole remission of sins, excluding grace and charity which is poured into their hearts by the Holy Spirit and inheres in them, or also that the grace which justifies us is only the favour of God, let him be anathema.

Canon 12. If anyone says that justifying faith is nothing else than confidence in divine mercy, which remits sins for Christ's sake, or that it is this confidence alone that justifies us, let him be anathema.

Canon 24. If anyone says that the justice (righteousness) received is not preserved and also not increased before God through good works but that those works are merely the fruits and signs of justification obtained, but not the cause of the increase, let him be anathema.

Canon 30. If anyone says that after the reception of the grace of justification the guilt is so remitted and the debt of eternal punishment so blotted out to every repentant sinner, that no debt of temporal punishment remains to be discharged either in this world or in purgatory before the gates of heaven can be opened, let him be anathema.

Canon 32. If anyone says that the good works of the one justified are in such manner the gifts of God that they are not also the good merits of him justified; or that the one justified by the good works that he performs by the grace of God and the merit of Jesus Christ (of whom one is a living member), the justified does not truly merit an increase of grace, and eternal life, provided that one dies in the state of grace, the attainment of this eternal life, as well as an increase in glory, let him be anathema.

The official teaching of the RCC would not allow the sinner to rely on the mercy of God and to believe that Christ saves us through faith based on the merits of His finished work of redemption alone and not by based on the merits of our works (Titus 3:5; Romans 3:24-28). Something more is required. You must keep yourself saved by your own good works. You must merit grace and eternal life by your works. You must pay the debt of sins by your penance and your purgatorial sufferings. That is the gospel of Catholicism!
You know what I find ironic is that when you read the catholic catechism and all the councils and the so called "official doctrines" you find its very strict on who goes to heaven.

BUT when you listen to modern day catholics INCLUDING this new pope which many of the catholics even dislike (many catholics say the church went downhill after vatican II council) they will tell you even atheists are going to heaven. I heard the pope say it on TV. Some boy asked about his father who was an atheist, but still baptized his boys. The pope answered that "God is proud of your father" and obviously is in heaven. smh...

I miss the catholic church that stood behind its heretical beliefs! :D

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Would they know the difference?
If they heard the truth about the Scriptures that it is God's Word, they could be led to salvation but if they are taught that the Scriptures are a product of man's philosophy etc., they will be hardened in their humanism for example.

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
If they heard the truth about the Scriptures that it is God's Word, they could be led to salvation but if they are taught that the Scriptures are a product of man's philosophy etc., they will be hardened in their humanism for example.
Yet they can receive nothing unless God grants it to them.
The things of God are spiritually discerned........not for the natural man

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Still God uses His Spirit AND Word to draw people to Himself...

But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report? So then faith [cometh] by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. (Romans 10:16-17 KJV)

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
So why hasn't God granted you the plain truth about His desire to save all mankind?

There are dozens of verses that tell us that Christ died for the sins of the whole world and that God desires that all men should be saved. But these "things of God" have been hidden from you, which means that you are not spiritually discerning God's truths. Think about it and then repent of your folly.

Dec 12, 2013
Not saying some of what you have listed here is wrong, in fact some of it is 100% correct.
However many of these things that the Catholic Church condones officially Protestant churches do unofficially or call it something else. Both faiths are guilty of adding to the Bible things that are not there. Most Churches if followed blindly lead to error.
However both faiths have much to offer to bring us closer to God. For example:
The Catholics can be much more spiritually in tune with the living Jesus and his on going plan to defeat satan. Protestants seem to think Jesus only came to get us to heaven and his on going job is done.
😁
If the root is corrupt the whole tree is corrupt.....make no mistake.....the root of Catholicism is corrupt.......!

Embankment

Feb 28, 2017
If the root is corrupt the whole tree is corrupt.....make no mistake.....the root of Catholicism is corrupt.......!
The Protestant side is also guilty of having faulty roots.
That being said there are very spiritual people teachings the truth of Jesus on both sides.

Dec 12, 2013
The Protestant side is also guilty of having faulty roots.
That being said there are very spiritual people teachings the truth of Jesus on both sides.
Who said I am protestant.....? And the root is salvation.....last time I checked Catholicism does not teach a correct message concerning salvation.....!!

Embankment

Feb 28, 2017
Who said I am protestant.....? And the root is salvation.....last time I checked Catholicism does not teach a correct message concerning salvation.....!!
I didn’t say you were. There are only two branches to this tree.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
When will people and Catholics wake up? According to Roman Catholicism

SALVATION = GRACE + SACRAMENTS + DEVOTION TO MARY + MEMBERSHIP IN THE RCC

umzza

Jan 10, 2015
Have you studied it? Do you know what Catholicism is? I am not insulting you, just think it would be helpful info to know before responding.
I don't know much about it.

umzza

Jan 10, 2015
I was watching a Catholic show on TV today and the guy said that they follow the teachings of the church not the Bible. I swear that's what he said. So I'm thinking it doesn't really make sense to be Catholic.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
I don't know much about it.
As the saying goes CAVEAT EMPTOR = BUYER BEWARE.

You have a duty to yourself and others to fully understand what Catholicism is. At the same time it will do you a world of good to read Fifty Years in the Church of Rome by the converted former Catholic priest Charles Chiniquy.

http://www.biblebelievers.com/chiniquy/index.html

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
Still God uses His Spirit AND Word to draw people to Himself...

But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report? So then faith [cometh] by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. (Romans 10:16-17 KJV)
God's word to His people goes out in many ways. He has used an ass. I have heard accounts from people of how they came to "hear" the gospel........various ways......by reading something, a chance comment.........all creation cries out that there is a Creator. Hearing the gospel gives the remedy.........the real test of being born again is in repentance and knowing YOU are the one separated from God.

Luke 19: 39-41
…39But some of the Pharisees in the crowd said to Him, “Teacher, rebuke Your disciples!” 40“I tell you,” He answered, “if they remain silent, the very stones will cry out.” 41As Jesus approached Jerusalem and saw the city, He wept over it…

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
So why hasn't God granted you the plain truth about His desire to save all mankind?

There are dozens of verses that tell us that Christ died for the sins of the whole world and that God desires that all men should be saved. But these "things of God" have been hidden from you, which means that you are not spiritually discerning God's truths. Think about it and then repent of your folly.
God has caused us to be born again 1 Peter 1:3
Looks like you need a little education....or maybe a LOT of education

WORLD

World = 2889= KOSMOS = orderly arrangement, decoration,

ONLY BY IMPLICATION (meaning, the text determines the exact meaning) the world in the wide OR narrow sense, includes the inhabitants. Ie: the wide sense would be the entire world…….the narrow sense would be a certain group of people

“If the world hates you, you know that it has hated Me before it hated you, If you were of the world, the world would love it’s own; but you are NOT of the world, but I CHOSE you OUT OF THE WORLD, therefore the world hates you.”

John 15: 18-19

The Intercession of Christ for His beloved at the Last Supper
“ I ask on their (the disciples) behalf, I do not ask on behalf of the world, but of those whom THOU HAST GIVEN ME; for THEY ARE THINE”