Is God a chatterbox?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Scrobulous

Sep 17, 2018
I think most of us would agree that God is economical with His words. He says what He has to say in the minimum number of words, as one would expect from someone infinitely intelligent. If God says anything twice, we realise it is very important. The Bible may be a big book, but considering the time span and how much is in there, it is really a small book!

Until we get to Numbers chapter 7! This chapter describes the dedication of the tabernacle and the offering each of the tribes brings to God. Each tribe brings the same offering, but the list is repeated 12 times, once for each tribe. Why the repetition? What profound truth is hidden in these verses? Is God trying to tell us something? Any ideas from the Forum?

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I think most of us would agree that God is economical with His words. He says what He has to say in the minimum number of words, as one would expect from someone infinitely intelligent. If God says anything twice, we realise it is very important. The Bible may be a big book, but considering the time span and how much is in there, it is really a small book!

Until we get to Numbers chapter 7! This chapter describes the dedication of the tabernacle and the offering each of the tribes brings to God. Each tribe brings the same offering, but the list is repeated 12 times, once for each tribe. Why the repetition? What profound truth is hidden in these verses? Is God trying to tell us something? Any ideas from the Forum?
I wondered the same thing, especially in Chronicles where the numbering and genealogies go on and on.

It says in the bible that each word of the Word of God is there for instruction, correction, etc. so while the lists are repetitive it is absolutely critical and written that way for a specific purpose. Perhaps it may not apply to you and me but it is there for a reason and that reason may indeed be part of a profound truth.

I noticed that in verses where numbers are mentioned that they almost always end with a zero or maybe a 5 but every once in awhile the number ends with 1..2...3...etc. When this happens I always ask myself why is this number different. Still don't have an answer but interesting nevertheless.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
This is quite correct. And the amount of detail in Numbers 7 is an anomaly. Perhaps it was important for the tribes to know what they had contributed in detail, and that the tabernacle and its offerings were no light matter.

S

Scribe

Accuracy? Record keeping? Historical records were being kept. They could refer to them as proof. Each item was being recorded by a scribe when the offering was given. There was a list being recorded. We get that idea from the repetition. As to what each item was a shadow of I am interested in learning. I suppose they all have to do with the mediatorial ministry of Jesus Christ in some form or fashion. There are probably some books by Alfred Eldershiem that might shed some light on it. He is known as a classic commentator on the customs of the temple.

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
I think God is a chatterbox when we actually hear Him. He’s saying stuff to us all the time if we’d put stuff aside to listen.

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
It's record keeping. And good record keeping. A sound witness for the things God knows are important.
The whole collection of books is a record and a witness. I believe many things will come to light in the heavenly court of law.
And on earth during the millennial reign of King Jesus. He will settle disputes between nations and administer justice from Jerusalem.
I believe every chapter and verse is/will be important.

Scrobulous

Sep 17, 2018
Many thanks, folks, for all your kind comments.

Jan 25, 2015
Names are very important in the Bible.

Look at Genesis 5:

ADAM– “man” / “mankind” (Root word “Adamah” which means “earth”

SET – “Appointed” / “Appointed another seed”

ENOSH – “Mortal” / “Being Mortal” from the Hebrew Root word “Anash”

KENAN – “Sorrow”

MAHALALEL – Consists of two Hebrew words:“Mahalal” which means “Blessed’ / “Praised” and “EL” which means God. The name thus means: “Blessed/Praised of YHVH”

YERED – “Shall Descend” / “Shall come down”

CHANOCH (ENOCH) – means “teaching” “To teach/instruct people”

MATUSHELACH – consists of two Hebrew words:

Met – which means “death”

Shelach – which means “Shall bring forth” Put them together and it reads “Death shall bring forth”

LAMECH–“Despairing” / “Those in despair”

NOACH– “Comfort” / “Rest”

Together: “Man/Mankind appointed mortal sorrow. The blessed/praised of YHVH shall descend/come down and teach/instruct people that His death shall bring, those in despair, comfort/rest.

Jan 25, 2015

Interesting question!

Will have to dig into this at some stage :)

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
My God is NOT a chatterbox...………… I don't thing you meant to imply He is. Just a poor choice of words?

chatterbox
[ˈCHadərˌbäks]

NOUN
informal

1. a person who talks at length about trivial matters.

Jan 25, 2015
My God is NOT a chatterbox...………… I don't thing you meant to imply He is. Just a poor choice of words?

chatterbox
[ˈCHadərˌbäks]

NOUN
informal

1. a person who talks at length about trivial matters.
True that sir :)

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
Job 37: 1-5 (NIV)

‘At this my heart pounds
and leaps from its place.
2 Listen! Listen to the roar of his voice,
to the rumbling that comes from his mouth.
3 He unleashes his lightning beneath the whole heaven
and sends it to the ends of the earth.
4 After that comes the sound of his roar;
he thunders with his majestic voice.
When his voice resounds,
he holds nothing back.
5 God’s voice thunders in marvellous ways;

he does great things beyond our understanding.