Is God nice?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

umzza

Jan 10, 2015
I don't understand why He allowed the world to be filled with so much bad and pain and evil.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I don't understand why He allowed the world to be filled with so much bad and pain and evil.
I don't either but it is ultimately for our benefit and for the glory of God. Yes, I believe that God is a genuinely nice guy. :)

umzza

Jan 10, 2015
I don't either but it is ultimately for our benefit and for the glory of God. Yes, I believe that God is a genuinely nice guy. :)
How am I supposed to tell how much I love God if I think he is mean?

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
God fully understands the human condition because He became flesh and walked the earth. He certainly understands how you feel and I pray that He makes His love known to you. It says in the book of John that God is Love. Allow that to become a starting point for you in your understanding of the One who knitted you in the womb, loves you and died on the cross for your sins.

Embankment

Feb 28, 2017
God is love and compassion. People are mean.

God often mimics our behavior just to show us a vision of just how awful we are.

Now that Christ has died for us he is the standard we are to strive to be.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
"Mean" and "nice" aren't used of God in Scripture, so we can't defensibly say that God is (or isn't) "nice" or "mean".

What we can do is look at the words used to describe God: good, holy, abounding in love, patient, gracious, merciful, slow to anger.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Honestly, I am wondering if you have ever experienced the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit. I am also beginning to wonder about many other things based on the History of the questions you keep posing about God/Christianity..........

Do you even believe in the Holy Trinity? The indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit?

If one has those kind of doubts about God and His wondrous mercy and grace in their hearts, I do not see how God/Holy Spirit could reside there.

Do you believe?

umzza

Jan 10, 2015
God is love and compassion. People are mean.

God often mimics our behavior just to show us a vision of just how awful we are.

Now that Christ has died for us he is the standard we are to strive to be.
Why would God mimic us to show us we are bad?

umzza

Jan 10, 2015
Honestly, I am wondering if you have ever experienced the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit. I am also beginning to wonder about many other things based on the History of the questions you keep posing about God/Christianity..........

Do you even believe in the Holy Trinity? The indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit?

If one has those kind of doubts about God and His wondrous mercy and grace in their hearts, I do not see how God/Holy Spirit could reside there.

Do you believe?
I don't know. Probably not. That is why I am asking these questions.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
I don't know. Probably not. That is why I am asking these questions.
Do you have a Pastor, or ANYONE where you live that you can go to and learn from? This venue, while beneficial in some ways, is not the proper venue to learn about the Holy Spirit, and the indwelling presence thereof.

You can get some guidance, but you can not get "hands on" person to person contact with a Sanctified Believer, which appears to be what you are most in need of.......in my opinion......

Mar 23, 2016
Psalm 103 (NLT):

8 The LORD is compassionate and merciful, slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love.

9 He will not constantly accuse us, nor remain angry forever.

10 He does not punish us for all our sins; he does not deal harshly with us, as we deserve.

11 For his unfailing love toward those who fear him is as great as the height of the heavens above the earth.

12 He has removed our sins as far from us as the east is from the west.

13 The LORD is like a father to his children, tender and compassionate to those who fear him.

14 For he knows how weak we are; he remembers we are only dust.

15 Our days on earth are like grass; like wildflowers, we bloom and die.

16 The wind blows, and we are gone — as though we had never been here.

17 But the love of the LORD remains forever with those who fear him. His salvation extends to the children’s children

18 of those who are faithful to his covenant, of those who obey his commandments!

umzza

Jan 10, 2015
Do you have a Pastor, or ANYONE where you live that you can go to and learn from? This venue, while beneficial in some ways, is not the proper venue to learn about the Holy Spirit, and the indwelling presence thereof.

You can get some guidance, but you can not get "hands on" person to person contact with a Sanctified Believer, which appears to be what you are most in need of.......in my opinion......
I don’t go to church much. I have anxiety in some social situation. If I had someone to talk to about God in person I wouldn’t ask questions here.

umzza

Jan 10, 2015
Psalm 103 (NLT):

8 The LORD is compassionate and merciful, slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love.

9 He will not constantly accuse us, nor remain angry forever.

10 He does not punish us for all our sins; he does not deal harshly with us, as we deserve.

11 For his unfailing love toward those who fear him is as great as the height of the heavens above the earth.

12 He has removed our sins as far from us as the east is from the west.

13 The LORD is like a father to his children, tender and compassionate to those who fear him.

14 For he knows how weak we are; he remembers we are only dust.

15 Our days on earth are like grass; like wildflowers, we bloom and die.

16 The wind blows, and we are gone — as though we had never been here.

17 But the love of the LORD remains forever with those who fear him. His salvation extends to the children’s children

18 of those who are faithful to his covenant, of those who obey his commandments!
Why is hell forever if God isn’t angry forever?

Dec 12, 2013
God is not a man.....

God is light
God is spirit
God is love
God is the lofty one that inhabits eternity

He is bound by his holy nature and character and his mercy endures forever....but he must also Judge man by mans deeds, actions and denial......

All who believe and trust are justified before God and redeemed from a lost state.....all who deny will answer and pay the price!

Dec 28, 2016
Two issues: You don't grasp the sinfulness of man nor the holiness of God.

Exercising due justice isn't meanness. It's love.

Imagine an earthly judge letting criminals off the hook so he appeared to be nice.

umzza

Jan 10, 2015
Two issues: You don't grasp the sinfulness of man nor the holiness of God.

Exercising due justice isn't meanness. It's love.

Imagine an earthly judge letting criminals off the hook so he appeared to be nice.
I don’t understand why we are here. I’d rather not have existed than to have people in hell forever.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Why is hell forever if God isn’t angry forever?

Why is Hell eternal, and why is God so cruel?

1. Why would you sin against an INFINITE being,
and then expect that your sin should have no INFINITE consequences?

2. If God made a sacrifice to deliver people from Hell,
and people WILFULLY REJECT that deliverance,
how has God been unjust by offering a delieverance you reject?

3. If God has an infinite mind and knows all things in order to prescribe perfect justice,
and you have a finite mind and know very little,
how can you even presume to have enough knowledge to assess if God is being just?

Those are just a few quick thoughts.

Zmouth

Nov 21, 2012
God is not a man.....
So if God is not a man then how can man be a spirit in the flesh?

17 It is also written in your law, that the testimony of two men is true.
18 I am one that bear witness of myself, and the Father that sent me beareth witness of me.
John 8:17-18

Dec 12, 2013
So if God is not a man then how can man be a spirit in the flesh?

17 It is also written in your law, that the testimony of two men is true.
18 I am one that bear witness of myself, and the Father that sent me beareth witness of me.
John 8:17-18
Take it up with God.....Christ came in the flesh having temporarily set aside his glory and robing himself with flesh for the purpose of redemption...he is not longer in flesh....read Revelation...he is God on throne!

God is not a man, that He should lie,
Nor a son of man, that He should repent.
Has He said, and will He not do?
Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good?