Is it a sin to drink alcohol

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
With that wall of text on the previous page me thinks he's got leeches in the breeches.
it reminded me of this, tho it's not the context:

they think they will be heard because of their many words
(Matthew 6:7)

presidente

May 29, 2013
If any want to utilize non-scriptural sources to justify the sin of alcohol drinking, they might as well cite the occult world, the atheist, the pagan, the vodun, the animist, the shaman, the rock star. They all love alcohol and mind altering drugs, so that it is easier for satan to possess the heart.
What if they site non-scriptural sources to justify the idea that drinking wine is a sin, like WithinReason's commentary on the subject which assumes 'wine' in scripture means wine with alcohol when he wants it to, and grape juice when he doesn't?

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
@WithinReason
There's a time and place for every thing. Drinking is suitable in the context of celebration, or Jesus wouldn't have made water into wine. Jesus did not make grape juice at that wedding, which is very clear from the context, He made wine. And since Jesus made wine, that would have made God quote a hypocrite, if it was like you say. So it isn't like that. The guests were also already drunk when Jesus gave them wine. Which drives to the logical conclusion that if God offered them wine, it isn't necessarily sin even to be drunk (!) as long as one is not committing debauchery. Surprising, but self evident!

Genesis 49:12 His eyes shall be red with wine, and his teeth white with milk.
If wine was sin, how could this Messianic prophecy even happen? Does the Word describe the Messiah using vices?

My relationship with alcohol:
I will have apple cider every now and then (once a year or less often, with my best friend for fellowship, one drink each).
I had a glass of wine last time years ago for my wedding because it was a gift and a very special batch.
I want to make the point that people aren't disagreeing with you because they love drinking, or are addicted.

So, the Bible doesn't prohibit alcohol nor it is always sin to drink, and it is adding to the Word to insist on it, which is a grave offense. Jesus had wine, apostles had wine, in appropriate situations and none of them were drinking to the point of disgracing themselves. You might have personal reasons to feel strongly about alcohol, it's obvious that you feel very strongly about it. But people look at what Christ and the apostles did, so they are not necessarily going to agree with you, or choose to forego wine completely. Maybe alcohol is your personal conviction, obviously through Romans 14 you are not supposed to have a drop ever because it is sin to you... Which is completely legit. If you have witnessed alcoholism first hand in your surroundings, harming you or people you love, that is something we can all understand.

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA
@WithinReason
There's a time and place for every thing. Drinking is suitable in the context of celebration, or Jesus wouldn't have made water into wine. Jesus did not make grape juice at that wedding, which is very clear from the context, He made wine. And since Jesus made wine, that would have made God quote a hypocrite, if it was like you say. So it isn't like that. The guests were also already drunk when Jesus gave them wine. Which drives to the logical conclusion that if God offered them wine, it isn't necessarily sin even to be drunk (!) as long as one is not committing debauchery. Surprising, but self evident!

Genesis 49:12 His eyes shall be red with wine, and his teeth white with milk.
If wine was sin, how could this Messianic prophecy even happen? Does the Word describe the Messiah using vices?

My relationship with alcohol:
I will have apple cider every now and then (once a year or less often, with my best friend for fellowship, one drink each).
I had a glass of wine last time years ago for my wedding because it was a gift and a very special batch.
I want to make the point that people aren't disagreeing with you because they love drinking, or are addicted.

So, the Bible doesn't prohibit alcohol nor it is always sin to drink, and it is adding to the Word to insist on it, which is a grave offense. Jesus had wine, apostles had wine, in appropriate situations and none of them were drinking to the point of disgracing themselves. You might have personal reasons to feel strongly about alcohol, it's obvious that you feel very strongly about it. But people look at what Christ and the apostles did, so they are not necessarily going to agree with you, or choose to forego wine completely. Maybe alcohol is your personal conviction, obviously through Romans 14 you are not supposed to have a drop ever because it is sin to you... Which is completely legit. If you have witnessed alcoholism first hand in your surroundings, harming you or people you love, that is something we can all understand.
And yet our ministry is continuous. We never know when God is going to call us to witness and minister. And quite frankly MOST can not handle having a drink without getting drunk.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
quite frankly MOST can not handle having a drink without getting drunk.
do you believe this is why the disciples kept falling asleep in Gethsemane?
because Jesus had gotten most or all of them drunk at the last supper when He passed the cup around?

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA
do you believe this is why the disciples kept falling asleep in Gethsemane?
because Jesus had gotten most or all of them drunk at the last supper when He passed the cup around?
No but Since you are asking for a judgment. I think you are void of God's Spirit other wise you would not think this a joke, nor would you be relying on your perceived intellectual prowess to interpret scripture.

Wow you think God would give those whom HE would die for so they can live that which can cause death.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
And yet our ministry is continuous. We never know when God is going to call us to witness and minister. And quite frankly MOST can not handle having a drink without getting drunk.
Sorry to be blunt, but that's absolute rubbish.
Or, do you have statistics that show that? The percentage of people that take a drink, who go on to become drunk?

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA
Sorry to be blunt, but that's absolute rubbish.
Or, do you have statistics that show that? The percentage of people that take a drink, who go on to become drunk?
One sip.
Straight to Your Head
Thirty seconds after your first sip, alcohol races into your brain. It slows down the chemicals and pathways that your brain cells use to send messages. That alters your mood, slows your reflexes, and throws off your balance. You also can’t think straight, which you may not recall later, because you’ll struggle to store things in long-term memory.

https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/addiction/ss/slideshow-alcohol-body-effects

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Thirty seconds after your first sip, alcohol races into your brain. It slows down the chemicals and pathways that your brain cells use to send messages. That alters your mood, slows your reflexes, and throws off your balance. You also can’t think straight, which you may not recall later, because you’ll struggle to store things in long-term memory.
this is also true of ingesting sugar.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
then do you believe the disciples were supernaturally immune to becoming drunk?
they drank some amount of wine. Jesus handed it to them.
see page 1: both 'wine' and 'new wine' in scripture refers to a drink having alcohol content. that is what scripture clearly indicates, 40 pages of trying to pervert scripture by multiplying words notwithstanding. it is simply fact.

Wow you think God would give those whom HE would die for so they can live that which can cause death.
sunlight causes death. water can cause death. you will die, in the body, no matter what you do to try to stop it.
cosmic rays are right now hitting the components of the cells in your body and damaging them. you have been dying since your birth.
you need to re-evaluate your position on this topic; you are clearly working from the basis of untruths.

God gave us life in material bodies of dust which return to dust. do you curse Him for it? do you deny it?

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
One sip.
Straight to Your Head

https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/addiction/ss/slideshow-alcohol-body-effects
My goodness! It's a wonder anyone survives such MAYHEM!

Exaggerated scare tactics. As has been noted.... sugar behaves in the same way. I imagine caffeine does, as well.

As a matter of fact/personal experience, MOST of my friends and family NEVER get drunk. Most of them can drink responsibly.... you know.... in moderation.

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA
My goodness! It's a wonder anyone survives such MAYHEM!

Exaggerated scare tactics. As has been noted.... sugar behaves in the same way. I imagine caffeine does, as well.

As a matter of fact/personal experience, MOST of my friends and family NEVER get drunk. Most of them can drink responsibly.... you know.... in moderation.
Moderation? One sip bud.
From Another resource.

https://www.medicinenet.com/how_alcohol_affects_your_body/article.htm

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Moderation? One sip bud.
From Another resource.

https://www.medicinenet.com/how_alcohol_affects_your_body/article.htm
Regardless of the source quoted, the statement is misleading. It clearly links the effects of significant amounts of alcohol to a single sip. That's called equivocation and is fallacious. It's not a "medical article" anyway, but a pop article about a medical subject. There are references provided, but no actual sources cited for any of the claims. It's one-sided fear-mongering, and doesn't even begin to approach sound journalism.

And, from the bottom of the page, this: "This tool does not provide medical advice."

Enough said.

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA
Regardless of the source quoted, the statement is misleading. It clearly links the effects of significant amounts of alcohol to a single sip. That's called equivocation and is fallacious. It's not a "medical article" anyway, but a pop article about a medical subject. There are references provided, but no actual sources cited for any of the claims. It's one-sided fear-mongering, and doesn't even begin to approach sound journalism.

And, from the bottom of the page, this: "This tool does not provide medical advice."

Enough said.
Yea one drink does not affect how one feels.
Lol

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA
As if we actually need a study.
Funny how if anyone will tell the truth they will admit when they first started drinking they felt a buzz after the first couple sips or first drink. And then after they progressed in their endeavor it took more.

Now lie about it.