Is it biblical to attend Church every Sunday?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
P

pjharrison

Frankly, I think the Sabbatarian argument is baseless. Nowhere in the NT are Christians commanded to worship on a specific day. Nowhere in the NT are Christians forbidden from worshiping on a certain day either.

It is incorrect to call Sunday 'the Sabbath' but it is also incorrect to claim that Christians are wrong to worship on Sunday. Further, I don't accept the argument that the first day of the week is the day on which Christians are to gather. That's just what they happened to do in the first century, but saying that we "must" is making doctrine from narrative, which is always suspect.

If it works for your fellowship to meet on a Thursday afternoon, and you spend that time in the Word, in song, in prayer and fellowship and the breaking of bread, but don't meet on Saturday or Sunday, is that somehow wrong or inadequate? Um, no. Not a bit.
You don't need to keep studying, now it's time to live what you studied. Graduate, get off of milk. Time to go for maturity.

beta

Aug 8, 2016
So what’s the deal here? We are not to fellowship with a local assembly?

Do some of the local assemblies keep the believers as infants? I’m sure there are.

But there are also local fellowships that a healthy - worshipping God, edifying the believers, and sharing the Gospel.
HHHMMM...fellowshipping and worshipping god on the day of the sun-god baal must be very healthy...for HIM !!!

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee

Do some of the local assemblies keep the believers as infants? I’m sure there are.

But there are also local fellowships that a healthy - worshipping God, edifying the believers, and sharing the Gospel.
@seoulsearch is organizing a pizza party for the loco and not so loco believers to assemble and have fellowship. Not sure that if is gonna be on a Sunday though but that would be OK 'cause Jesus likes pizza too. It may take place in a church basement. Afterwards, we're all going to play Bingo. @Mel85 is bringing donuts and I will be supplying espresso to enjoy after the games. Gonna hit the jackpot too.

beta

Aug 8, 2016
o.k., so this proves what I have been trying to explain to you- Jesus died on thur, afternoon ( 1 ), was in the tomb through the Sabbath, ( 2 ), and then, sometime overnight, after the sundown ended Sabbath and started the first day of the week, He rose, then ' early in the morning " the women discovered the empty tomb.

that is the basis for sunday worship,
Friend....this proves nothing yet ! you have not told me yet how you can say with confidence Jesus died and was buried on a thursday.? Can you tell me when was the 'High Day' Joh 19v31when no work was allowed and the women could not buy spices and prepare ointments ...nor the next day which would have been the Sabbath on which they rested as per commandment ??? Your theory eliminates some important events. Please give scripture for the guesswork you base your belief on....then I will provide mine.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
HHHMMM...fellowshipping and worshipping god on the day of the sun-god baal must be very healthy...for HIM !!!
Every day of the week is named for a pagan god of some sort. In your opinion then, what would be an acceptable day of the week to worship God?

P

pjharrison

All of the local churches keep you in infancy. That was what they were designed to do. It's under a religious covering. The spirit is not being fed.

P

pjharrison

Frankly, I think the Sabbatarian argument is baseless. Nowhere in the NT are Christians commanded to worship on a specific day. Nowhere in the NT are Christians forbidden from worshiping on a certain day either.

It is incorrect to call Sunday 'the Sabbath' but it is also incorrect to claim that Christians are wrong to worship on Sunday. Further, I don't accept the argument that the first day of the week is the day on which Christians are to gather. That's just what they happened to do in the first century, but saying that we "must" is making doctrine from narrative, which is always suspect.

If it works for your fellowship to meet on a Thursday afternoon, and you spend that time in the Word, in song, in prayer and fellowship and the breaking of bread, but don't meet on Saturday or Sunday, is that somehow wrong or inadequate? Um, no. Not a bit.
You just have to give up that religious spirit. Give up everything that is yours, and that includes your religion.

beta

Aug 8, 2016

So why do you think God gives man basic instructions of what to do and how to behave if they (mankind) can just do whatever works FOR THEM ???
You are showing a very disrespectful carnal attitude toward the Father and the SOn who gave their all FOR YOU ! this is so typical of people who just want to do as they like and is called DISOBEDIENCE that will keep them out of the Kingdom...Repent !

beta

Aug 8, 2016
Every day of the week is named for a pagan god of some sort. In your opinion then, what would be an acceptable day of the week to worship God?
Why should that be MY opinion ? has not GOD already told us and JESUS shown us by example ???

P

pjharrison

So why do you think God gives man basic instructions of what to do and how to behave if they (mankind) can just do whatever works FOR THEM ???
You are showing a very disrespectful carnal attitude toward the Father and the SOn who gave their all FOR YOU ! this is so typical of people who just want to do as they like and is called DISOBEDIENCE that will keep them out of the Kingdom...Repent !
You are the one who is carnal. That's why you think the covering on a woman's head in 1 cor is a hat.
Your still feeding on milk. The church keep you as babies in Christ. You have got to mature, and grow up. Come out from under that religious covering so that the Holy Spirit can teach you.

melita916

Aug 12, 2011
All of the local churches keep you in infancy. That was what they were designed to do. It's under a religious covering. The spirit is not being fed.
Do you have statistics on this? How do you know ALL local assemblies keep a believer in infancy unless you have visited each assembly?

Each believer is responsible for his/her walk in the Lord. The local assembly is supposed to be help. I know some church leaders/pastors will brainwash, trick, lie to the congregations to keep control, but one cannot and should not say this happens in EVERY assembly.

melita916

Aug 12, 2011
And “Saturday is named after the Roman god Saturn associated with the Titan Cronus, father of Zeus and many Olympians.” (Wikipedia)

rlm68

Jul 23, 2018
I have witnessed in small communities where churches have an US against THEM attitude. I was always a rebel and would ask stupid questions like: If they accepted Christ as their Lord and Savior like your church has, why are they the enemy? I thought we all had the same enemy, the Adversary, not those who technically are our brothers and sisters in Christ?

Small minded people = spiritual death

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
This ranks on my list of most-ridiculous comments ever read in the BDF.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
You just have to give up that religious spirit. Give up everything that is yours, and that includes your religion.
I'm rapidly concluding that you have nothing relevant or edifying to offer. You're still bleeding arrogance. You don't know anywhere near enough about me to be making such pronouncements.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Do you know this from your own personal experience? That's quite an absurd claim to make unless you have been to all of these local churches and have been given the discernment as to whether or not this is true. In your learned opinion, exactly what type of church would allow one to grow and mature spiritually if not the local churches?

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Why should that be MY opinion ? has not GOD already told us and JESUS shown us by example ???
Sorry, this is not an opinion that the name of each day of the week has pagan origins but rather is a statement of fact. You were criticizing a member for attending worship service on Sunday because of a pagan name. I simply asked you what day of the week would be acceptable in your opinion since all of the days of the week have pagan names. I understand why you decline to answer because the reason why is that you don't have an answer. Perhaps then, one should not worship at all in any day of the week. Your response to this member was ludicrous. That doesn't make you a bad person however, just misguided. That's alright, none of us here are perfect, myself included.

P

pjharrison

Do you have statistics on this? How do you know ALL local assemblies keep a believer in infancy unless you have visited each assembly?

Each believer is responsible for his/her walk in the Lord. The local assembly is supposed to be help. I know some church leaders/pastors will brainwash, trick, lie to the congregations to keep control, but one cannot and should not say this happens in EVERY assembly.
All of the local churches are under a religious spirit, not the Holy Spirit.