According to what I have learned, elohim may mean gods, powers or even powerful people. When Elohim is used as God it is usually modified with singular adjectives, being treated as One El, while otherwise used as elohim, it is modified with plural adjectives.
As for the mystery of the Person of our Maker, when Elohim is used I do tend to think It is the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, and this is correct, because they are One. This will nevery be truly explained in this age, although we, who believe, have a good faith grip on the matter, not requiring more than to believe and wait for the unveiling of Yahweh's great mysteries. There must be a lot of them, and they must be marvelous, yes.
Your correct brother, there are times when Elohim is used to refer to singular, as well as plural (as a side note "El" itself is quite interesting in it's usages). Elohim can mean a lot of things. Even in non-trinitarian thought, Jesus is rightly and correctly called Elohim. Elohim does not always mean the Most High God though, and that's the point I was making. In modern English and theological thought, we don't usually use the term God in the same fashion as the word Elohim is used. I would love to discuss this with you further JaumeJ, whether in PM or the public forum. I have a lot of respect for you and you never engage in vain conversation.
There are unsearchable mysteries in God, no disagreement with you on that. My case is simply that since scripture never says anything directly about Trinity, Jesus never refers to himself as God but does refer to himself as The Son of God. The entirety of scripture makes ALOT more sense from a non-trinitarian view. Somethings that are referred to as mysterious from a trinitarian view, are not so mysterious at all from the non-trinitarian perspective. The dispute seems to originate from the fact that Jesus and the Father are one. The fact that Jesus and God are one is not in dispute from a non-trinitarian viewpoint. Its that Jesus is the Son of the Most High, and not the Most High himself is where belief differs.
I'll give an example of how it makes so much more sense from the non-trinity camp than it does for the trinitarian side. Compare these two verses.
John 10:30
"I and
my Father are one."
in contrast to:
John 17:21:
"
That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
"
So if we are one, and Jesus desires for us to be one in him and the Father.....would that make us God if we are to abide in him the way he described? Most certainly not. That's part of what Christ did for us that makes it so grand, thanks to Christ.....we can now dwell in God and he in us.......we now have the power to become the Sons of God. But because there is this mutual abiding, it doesn't make us the Most High.
A separate question must be asked, is there any greater than God? We all know that none is greater than God, for he is the Most High. Then you have to look at John 14:28
"Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come
again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father:
for my Father is greater than I.
"
Jesus himself calls the father Greater than him. Yet they are one, God dwells in Christ and he in God.
John 20:17:
"Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and
to my God,
and your God.
"
There is no reason to ask if God has a God from the non-trinity perspective. I can find nothing unscriptural or blasphemous from this point of view. Can you? I could certainly include many more verses but I think what I have posted is sufficient to explain myself. These are some reasons why I am not Trinitarian. I have more respect for your word as an Elder than anyone else on CC. How would you reply to this?