Is salvation in repentance alone?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

tylerbones1313

May 1, 2022
Does repentance alone guarantee you salvation and eternal life?

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Repentance for what? Godly sorrow is quite different from worldly sorrow.

Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation without regret, but worldly sorrow brings death.
2 Corinthians 7:10

Welcome!
:)

Chester

May 23, 2016
No, repentance alone does not bring salvation. Repentance is a change of thinking.

A person may be believing that they can achieve their own salvation by their good works, and then change their way of thinking (that is, they repent). But that change of thinking does not save them.

To be saved this person must then put their faith in the finished atonement work of Jesus Christ in his death and resurrection. Thus they repent from trusting their own way and then believe in Jesus Christ = then they are saved.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
repentance and believing the gospel go hand in hand and equal salvation

you actually can’t be learning the gospel and believing and then keep living as you were beforehand the gospel actually produces real godly repentance it’s part of it

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
Jesus said

John 16:7-9
7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you. 8 And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9 of sin, because they do not believe in Me;

As @Chester states repentance is to a change of thinking.

So when we change our thinking, which is change our mind from not believing in Jesus to beleiving in/on Jesus then we have repented of the sin of unbelief.

That's is the repentance required that saves us.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Here are some Scriptures concerning repentence

ALL NEED TO REPENT:
EVEN THE CHURCH IS IN NEED OF REPENTANCE..........Some have strayed from the Gospel of Christ, some have failed to do what God purposed them to do, some have not kept the Commandments of Faith established by Christ during His Ministry here on earth, and some go about to and fro seeking to cause distrust and disruptions within the Church Body.

Acts 3:19 - Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

2 Chronicles 7:14 - If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

1 John 1:9 - If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

2 Peter 3:9 - The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Luke 13:3 - I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Acts 17:30 - And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

Acts 2:38 - Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Ezekiel 18:21-23 - But if the wicked will turn from all his sins that he hath committed, and keep all my statutes, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall surely live, he shall not die. (Read More...)

Revelation 2:5 - Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

Proverbs 28:13 - He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh [them] shall have mercy.

Matthew 4:17 - From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

(first sermon Jesus preached)

Romans 2:4 - Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
The Precious Blood of Jesus

1. Leviticus 17:11, 14 (cp. Deuteronomy 12:23) “For the life of the flesh
is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an
atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement
for the soul…. For it is the life of all flesh; the blood of it is for the life
thereof …”

2. Hebrews 9:22 “Without the shedding of blood, there is
no remission of sins.”

3. 1 John 1:7″… the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth
us from all sin.”

5. Exodus 12:13 “… and when I see the blood, I will pass over
you, and the plague shall not be upon you to destroy you,
when I smite the land of Egypt.”

6. Revelation 12:11 “And they overcame him (Satan) by the blood
of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony …”

7. Hebrews 9:14 “How much more shall the blood of Christ, who
through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God,
purge your conscience …

8. Hebrews 10:19, 22 “Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter
into the holiest by the blood of Jesus … Let us draw near with a true
heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an
evil conscience …”

9. Hebrews 13:12 “Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify
the people with his own blood, suffered without the gate.”

10. Romans 3:24-25 “Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;”

11. Romans 5:9 “Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.”

(repent is first step to being washed by the blood of Jesus)

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
If by repentance, we are talking about doing acts to reduce sin in our lives to attain salvation, then that's works for getting salvation.

If we are talking about repentance in terms of believing on Jesus Christ and knowing He accepts us as we are as sinners in need of grace and mercy, trusting His finished work on the cross, then we are talking biblical repentance.

Who ever is born of God.. does not habitually remain in sin, but is prompted, taught and disciplined by God when they do sin.

With an under lying unconditional grace so there is no fear of condemnation.

This is real love. Grace and truth combined.

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
What does repentance mean? Are your sorry that you have sinned against God? Are you in a dire situation and want Gods grace? Are you scared of your inevitable death and where you will end up? Or are you born again by the Spirit which causes a new mind that yearns for the things of God?

Blade

Nov 19, 2019
"I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance.” Ok to just answer what you asked no for that is not written. We all know John 3:16-17. repent all you want so what? One must believe on the lord Yeshua/Jesus Christ. Now when He found me.. I was on my knees repenting.. then believing.. yes asking JESUS to come into my heart. I won't play with words..since He found me. He came in and never left. As the song in another forum where they were talking about salvation and losing it. As I was typing this song played "Won't let me Go"

tylerbones1313

May 1, 2022
What does repentance mean? Are your sorry that you have sinned against God? Are you in a dire situation and want Gods grace? Are you scared of your inevitable death and where you will end up? Or are you born again by the Spirit which causes a new mind that yearns for the things of God?
I'm talking about when you go to the altar and your repent of your sins ask Jesus in your heart believe that he died for your sins and rose again from the dead.

tylerbones1313

May 1, 2022
To further expand on my original post, I was just wanting to know if repenting of your sins and turning to Christ believing that he died for your sins and rose again and asking him into your heart is the only thing you need for salvation. And if so if you could expound on Acts 2:38 and the beginning few verses of John chapter 3 what he's talking to Nicodemus. Especially what Christ meant by water and spirit. And why both are necessary to enter or see the kingdom of God.

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
To further expand on my original post, I was just wanting to know if repenting of your sins and turning to Christ believing that he died for your sins and rose again and asking him into your heart is the only thing you need for salvation. And if so if you could expound on Acts 2:38 and the beginning few verses of John chapter 3 what he's talking to Nicodemus. Especially what Christ meant by water and spirit. And why both are necessary to enter or see the kingdom of God.
Born of water..

Nicodemus refers to going back into the mother's womb... so Jesus is referring to physical birth .. and then later being born of the Spirit.. when they believe in Jesus.

Salvation being at the later point when they believe.

So it is as you say believing Jesus died and rose again and by trusting in Him you are saved. That's all that's needed. No water baptism needed.

Altho this can happen aside from going up to an altar all 😀

Most people I know it was quietly by themselves in their room or somewhere else quiet.

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
I'm talking about when you go to the altar and your repent of your sins ask Jesus in your heart believe that he died for your sins and rose again from the dead.
That would be an initial step. Of course God has to call that person to true justification.

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
Precious friend, A Very Warm Welcome to Chat. As correctly mentioned by others
above, "repentance is the change of mind about our sin against A Holy God.":

"Act 20:21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks,​
repentance toward God,...

The Other Part is
"faith/heart belief/trust":

...and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ." In The Gospel Of GRACE:

"For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received,​
how That Christ Died for our sins According To The Scriptures;​
And that He Was Buried, and That He Rose Again the third day​
According To The Scriptures" (1 Corinthians 15:3-4)​

Thus, by obedience to Both, Then God's Guarantee Is
His ETERNAL Life, A Secure Relationship With Him!

Also, (not water of the Previous dispensation), But, In Today's
Dispensation Of Pure GRACE, There Is
ONE Baptism, "BY" The
Holy Spirit, Translating us Spiritually Into The Body Of Christ,
By God's OPERATION On All HIS New-born babes In Christ.

Please Be Very RICHLY Encouraged, Enlightened, Exhorted, And Edified In
The LORD JESUS CHRIST, And In His Word Of Truth, Rightly Divided!

God's Simple Will!

awelight

Aug 10, 2020
Repentance is a complete change of ones disposition. Repentance, Biblically speaking, effects the whole "character" of a person and is more than a simple change of mind. So if we are speaking of Genuine Repentance, as defined by Scripture, then the person repenting, has already experienced a work of Grace in their heart.

A person can repent for a lot of reasons. These are not Biblical Repentance:

1.) You are caught stealing a cookie and mom catches you - so you repent, in order to reduce her displeasure.
2.) Man is brought to justice and repents of his action before the judge - in hopes of a more lenient sentence.
3.) A plan goes seriously off the rails and you repent of ever having thought of it.

Biblical Repentance, will cause all to see the fruit thereof. This person will have a true change in their character. The Pharisees, of Matthew 3, who came down to John baptizing, were challenged by him because they had no fruit of Repentance.

Mat 3:7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to his baptism, he said unto them, Ye offspring of vipers, who warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
Mat 3:8 Bring forth therefore fruit worthy of repentance:

There are Scriptures, that suggests that God, is the one who gives to us the spirit of Repentance.

Acts 5:31 Him did God exalt with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, to give repentance to Israel, and remission of sins.

Acts 11:18 And when they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then to the Gentiles also hath God granted repentance unto life.

2Ti_2:25 in meekness correcting them that oppose themselves; if peradventure God may give them repentance unto the knowledge of the truth,

If one believes, that God grants Repentance to His own, then Repentance, is the first fruit, of a person who is already saved. If one does not think, that God grants Repentance, then this Repentance may or may not be Genuine and only time will tell.