Is sickness a blessing?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
The remaining question then is why do modern Christians not have the power to heal the sick?
Greatest question pertaining to this discussion - this may help answer:

God's Word Of Truth, Rightly Divided?:

1681136232784.png
(D Adams)
-------------
More problem-solving Differences are here:

Bible Contrasts I
+
Bible Contrasts II

Please be Very Richly Encouraged In Christ And
In His Word Of Truth, Rightly Divided!

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Is sickness a blessing?

Not always, but sometimes. Sometimes it is the only thing that is loud enough to wake us up to our spiritual need for total dependance upon Him. Having said that, we must never judge the sick but are rather commanded to comfort them and pray for them.

We need to remind each other that these trials and hardships are only temporary circumstances and...
Romans 8:28
“And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.”

oyster67

May 24, 2014
But to call sickness an actual blessing is going too far in my view. Can and should anyone actually welcome illness? I am just not made of such stern stuff!
It does seem insensitive at the very least. Pain is painful indeed. I'm not exactly the Spartan type either.

Do you suffer long-standing illness and do you consider it a blessing?
I have some minor infirmities. "Thorns in the Flesh" perhaps. The Lord will heal us soon. In the meantime, lets pray for one another to be comforted and, yes, even healed this very day and that He be greatly glorified in it. (y)

ThyKingdomComeSoon

Apr 1, 2023
I like the writing of the Rev J R Miller, he imparts much wisdom and clarifies Biblical questions.

However, today I read a section in which he maintains that sickness is a blessing for which we should always be grateful.

I am not sure at all about that! My health of late has not been good and I definitely DO NOT feel it is a blessing. I pray to Jesus for healing and strength and I always feel comfort is given. I want to be well and I believe Jesus heals, He spent His ministry on earth healing people. He wants us to have life abundantly - surely this does not mean suffering?

To me all sickness and disease is bad and frightening. Yes we learn lessons and grow in character by earnest prayer, by leaning on God and trusting Him to heal us. I know many people do live very great productive lives DESPITE awful afflictions. This we may certainly admire and take inspiration from. Certainly we don't learn anything useful during easy good times, adversity is often a time of learning true lessons.

But to call sickness an actual blessing is going too far in my view. Can and should anyone actually welcome illness? I am just not made of such stern stuff!

What evidence is in the Bible to say sickness is a blessing? Do you suffer long-standing illness and do you consider it a blessing?
this is a no brainer sickness never was and never will be a blessing, only perverted minds can come to this conclusion.

Aug 23, 2018
this is a no brainer sickness never was and never will be a blessing, only perverted minds can come to this conclusion.
There is a sickness unto death, as seen in this example:

2 Kings 13:14
Now Elisha was fallen sick of his sickness whereof he died. And Joash the king of Israel came down unto him, and wept over his face, and said, O my father, my father, the chariot of Israel, and the horsemen thereof.

And there is a sickness not unto death, as in this example:

John 11:4
When Jesus heard that, he said, This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God might be glorified thereby.

G00WZ

May 16, 2014
Sickness isn't a blessing it has to do with separation in what you think vs what God thinks and not participating or agreeing on and with what God has said/done through Christ. When i was sick and almost died i had to get on what He thought and out of my own perspectives to be able to recieve healing. What God has done is something spiritual and at some point in order to be able to recieve it a person would have to give evidence or substance after it because that's what faith is, the body/person after what God said.

when i was sick i couldn't eat or drink hardly anything for weeks dying and i was praying, rebuking, confessing and asking for healing over and over again and it wasn't working and it was like talking to a wall. After a while i just made it up in my mind that i can't keep serving the purpose of being sick and asking for healing over and over again because in doing so im actually agreeing with it. I just got up each morning and sat at the dinner table with an empty bowl and spoon and pretended to eat and drink twice a day to serve Gods belief and purpose through Christ that i was healed and after 4 days of serving Gods purpose i was healed.

When a person serves Gods purpose they end up getting healed and a lot of christians as christian as they are aren't actually serving the purpose but that's about to change soon enough though.

Niki7

Feb 21, 2023
Is sickness a blessing?

No. God does not love us so very much that He sent us cancer or any other thing this sinful world suffers from.

That's my short answer.

Blade

Nov 19, 2019
There is nothing in the word saying sickness is a blessing. God use it for His glory and I don't mean by staying sick or what ever. There have been times like for every one else this world hits us hard and in those times its not a blessing yet I praise Him in that moment thanking Him for Isa 53:5 1st Peter 2 24 for Acts that name faith in that name healed that man. And what ever it is it ALWAYS leaves.

Everyone Christ touched was healed. Now today there are many like the town where all Christ could do was lay hands on a few and teach because of doubt. We tend to look around at others as the proof for what God can and can not do. Christ said a kingdom divided against its self will fall. He does not make anyone sick to then heal. Like Christ saying Satan can not cast out Satan. This is a fallen world what we do think say watch eat all plays a part in what happens to us. Again just another thing where FAITH comes into play yet never talked about. We quote so much of Matt-John ..ooh OBEY if you love me, keep my words really a big one and Sabbath yet Christ talking about the sweet holy Spirit Luke 11 13 = pass. Or what is Mark 11 24 I think what ever you desire when you pray believe you receive it you shall have it = pass. Acts Peter and John never once asked or prayed to God or Christ to heal that man. Right there we can back up to what Christ said "these signs "shall" follow them that believe. So Peter and John just said hey man we don't have any silver or gold but what we do have in JESUS NAME. Now God made sure you read before that the man EXPECTED to receive something.

They said after words why look at us as if we did this by our own power? Its that name faith in that named that healed this man. I am so sorry but Peter and John didn't have more power more Christ in them then you or I do. They just believed. Yes I would agree walking with Christ for 3+ years really would help you believe :) So get to KNOW HIM! What He did for them He does for all that will believe.

Aug 23, 2018
There is nothing in the word saying sickness is a blessing. God use it for His glory and I don't mean by staying sick or what ever. There have been times like for every one else this world hits us hard and in those times its not a blessing yet I praise Him in that moment thanking Him for Isa 53:5 1st Peter 2 24 for Acts that name faith in that name healed that man. And what ever it is it ALWAYS leaves.

Everyone Christ touched was healed. Now today there are many like the town where all Christ could do was lay hands on a few and teach because of doubt. We tend to look around at others as the proof for what God can and can not do. Christ said a kingdom divided against its self will fall. He does not make anyone sick to then heal. Like Christ saying Satan can not cast out Satan. This is a fallen world what we do think say watch eat all plays a part in what happens to us. Again just another thing where FAITH comes into play yet never talked about. We quote so much of Matt-John ..ooh OBEY if you love me, keep my words really a big one and Sabbath yet Christ talking about the sweet holy Spirit Luke 11 13 = pass. Or what is Mark 11 24 I think what ever you desire when you pray believe you receive it you shall have it = pass. Acts Peter and John never once asked or prayed to God or Christ to heal that man. Right there we can back up to what Christ said "these signs "shall" follow them that believe. So Peter and John just said hey man we don't have any silver or gold but what we do have in JESUS NAME. Now God made sure you read before that the man EXPECTED to receive something.

They said after words why look at us as if we did this by our own power? Its that name faith in that named that healed this man. I am so sorry but Peter and John didn't have more power more Christ in them then you or I do. They just believed. Yes I would agree walking with Christ for 3+ years really would help you believe :) So get to KNOW HIM! What He did for them He does for all that will believe.
Those who claim God has given them the power to heal others tend to discount that gift when they also claim their power to heal does not work except on those with amazing faith. So who really has the power, the healer or the person with enough faith to be healed?

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
Those who claim God has given them the power to heal others tend to discount that gift when they also claim their power to heal does not work except on those with amazing faith. So who really has the power, the healer or the person with enough faith to be healed?
being sick might also be used by God as a very powerful witness. you never know.
2Co 12:9
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
Surely we four are not the Only ones in here, in agreement With
God's Word of Truth About Today's Dispensation Of Amazing Grace In
this Current "age of infirmities"?:

Have the others not yet heard of having amazing faith for
These Truths?:

Rom_8:26 "Likewise The Spirit also HELPETH our infirmities:​
for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but​
The Spirit Himself Maketh Intercession for us with groanings​
which cannot be uttered."​

Wait! Help, Not healing?

Rom_15:1 We then that are strong ought to bear the
infirmities of the weak, and not to please ourselves.​

Wait! not "heal them," But "bear their infirmities"???

2Co_11:30 If I must needs glory, I will glory of​
the things which concern mine infirmities.​
2Co_12:5 Of such an one will I glory: yet of​
myself I will not glory, but in mine infirmities.​

Wait! the apostle only should "glory" or, we also?:

2Co_12:9 And He said unto me, My GRACE Is Sufficient for​
thee: for My Strength Is Made Perfect in weakness. Most​
gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that​
The Power of Christ May Rest upon me.​

Wait "Sufficient Grace and Power Of Christ" Is Not A Glad Blessing?:

2Co_12:10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in​
reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses​
for Christ's Sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.
1Ti_5:23 Drink no longer water, but use a little wine​
for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.​

+ This question:

"God's Strength Is Made Perfect" Today, How? by "everyone healed"?

or:

By God's GRACE Word for our infirmities
--------------------------

Should we "just discount and ignore" These Wonderful Scriptures
For
us, Today, Under Grace, Which Are:

Rightly Divided (2 Timothy 2:15) From “Things That Differ” (online):

And Not wrongly homogenized with God's Other program
"under law/covenants where Everyone is healed"?

Oh when oh When, are we ever "going to be Approved"?:

Study to Be APPROVED Open Bible.png