Is Smoking Tobacco a Sin?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Is smoking tobacco a sin?

• Yes, smoking tobacco is a sin.

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • No, smoking tobacco is not a sin.

Votes: 11 52.4%

• Total voters

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
Anything you put above God is a sin.... We could ask ourselves if God asked me to quit insert your sin here could I do it? Of course this is why we pray and request Gods help to be able to overcome any sin in our lives as we are incapable on our own to do it.

Example.....Only the people doing whatever insert your sin here can know the answer as to if smoking is a sin for them... For me smoking is not a sin as I don't smoke, but I eat too much so for me food can be a sin where another person has their eating under control and for them it is not a sin.......

FollowtheShepherd

Sep 15, 2019
I think smoking natural organic non-gmo tobacco is not a sin.

I think smoking chemical infused tobacco is a sin, pharmakiea.

Got this from lung.org, don;t know how accurate it is but I have read many places about chemicals in tobacco, food, drinks, etc.

There are approximately 600 ingredients in cigarettes. When burned, cigarettes create more than 7,000 chemicals. At least 69 of these chemicals are known to cause cancer, and many are toxic.

Many of these chemicals also are found in consumer products, but these products have warning labels—such as rat poison packaging. While the public is warned about the danger of the poisons in these products, there is no such warning for the toxins in tobacco smoke.

Here are a few of the chemicals in tobacco smoke and other places they are found:

Acetone—found in nail polish remover
Acetic acid—an ingredient in hair dye
Ammonia—a common household cleaner
Arsenic—used in rat poison
Benzene—found in rubber cement and gasoline
Butane—used in lighter fluid
Cadmium—active component in battery acid
Carbon monoxide—released in car exhaust fumes
Formaldehyde—embalming fluid
Hexamine—found in barbecue lighter fluid
Lead—used in batteries
Naphthalene—an ingredient in mothballs
Methanol—a main component in rocket fuel
Nicotine—used as an insecticide
Tar—material for paving roads
Toluene—used to manufacture paint

and of course putting anything bfore God is a sin and disobeying His orders as an unique person is a sin.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Now that would be really S-T-R-E-T-C-H-I-N-G it. Burger King does not serve up poisons. And fast foods have received a bad rap unnecessarily. There is a time and a place for these foods.

I can show all kinds of links to cancer from things at Burger King.

So... it kinda seems like... just maybe....

your views about the temple are a wee bit skewed by which things you think are yummy?
:)

Nehemiah, my point is not to pick on you.
I agree with you that tobacco is harmful, and burgers are yummy... I agree.
But maybe we'd benefit by looking at this issue from a different perspective.

Maybe instead of slipping into a "legalistic" type of perspective, we need more of a "prudence" type of perspective.
I think tourist said it above: all things are lawful but not all things are profitable.

I think that's probably the best perspective on these kinds of issues.

Perhaps with so many things being unhealthy, maybe the best we can do is assess a sliding scale.
I don't smoke, and I do eat burgers... but I have no idea what sorts of chemicals they shot that cow up with before I ate it.
I'd feel confident taking a wild guess, a stab in the dark, and betting some good money that the last burger I ate had some nasty things in it that I don't even want to know about.

We should take care of our bodies the best we can, but I don't think we want to get too legalistic about everything.

I know you're just trying to keep people safe and healthy, and keep people away from tobacco, because it's harmful.
I get that.
I just think we need to be careful in how we talk about these issues.
We don't want our good intentions to get out of hand, and accidentally slide into some kind of legalism.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Someone posted smoking is tantamount to "pharmakia (sp)" How then do people jusstify eating most fasst foods s and GMO foods which are manipulated by chemicals and unatural techniques of processing foods such as chicken , vegetables and grans. Are we guilty of sin by simply eating? I think not.

I do not smoke, but I do not delve up reasons for calling smokers sinenrs. Try to extend mercy and love to all. It is the way of our Lord, Yeshua, a kkGod bless all, amen.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Someone posted smoking is tantamount to "pharmakia (sp)" How then do people justify eating most fast foods and GMO foods which are manipulated by chemicals and unnatural techniques of processing foods such as chicken , vegetables and grains. Are we guilty of sin by simply eating? I think not.
Nothing is accomplished by comparing apples and oranges, or in this case modified foods and poisonous addictive substances.

So let's keep the focus on tobacco and smoking as they relate to Christians. What are the actual beneficial effects of cigarette smoke on (a) the Christian's health, (b) the Christian's wealth, (c) the Christian's testimony, and (d) the effect of second-hand smoke on surrounding non-smokers? The secular Cancer Society tells non-Christians that smoking is poisonous. Even that should suffice for Christians.

Let's take that one step further: (1) how does smoking glorify God and Christ, (2) how is purchasing cigarettes good stewardship of our money, and (2) how does smoking affect the body of a believer which is the temple of God?

In view of all this smoking is just as much a sin as any other sin. If you were to administer poison to a third party, it would be a criminal act. "The CDC says 50 to 60 milligrams of nicotine is a deadly dose for an adult who weighs about 150 pounds. But some research suggests a lethal amount may be a lot higher." So if you administer poison to yourself, at the very least it is a sin.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Twist it any way you will. Food aditives are very harmful to the body. Do you drink bleach? What a bout preservatives?

If we wish to keep our "Temple Stone" clean and in order, then we should only ingest natural foods. That is not comparing apples to ranges. Do you drink anything with caffeine? That is not a nutrient, it is a stimulent?

All things in moderation, but most importanly, with thanksgiving a praise to God..

Melach

Mar 28, 2019
Now that would be really S-T-R-E-T-C-H-I-N-G it. Burger King does not serve up poisons. And fast foods have received a bad rap unnecessarily. There is a time and a place for these foods.

On the other hand, tobacco = poisons. So this is not depravity but STUPIDITY.
people always use that fast food excuse. its still food, people would love a hamburger in the starved areas in ethiopia but cigarrette wont fill their stomach will not do any good.

UnitedWithChrist

Aug 12, 2019
i voted no and no im not a smoker myself. because the bible does not say anything about smoking. and people smoked in bible days too. they were smoking something a bit stronger than tobacco too.

Where in the Bible were they smoking tobacco or marijuana? If that's the claim..

UnitedWithChrist

Aug 12, 2019
I posted earlier about smoking cigarettes... What I wrote still stands true for me, but what all these post makes me think about....
Is smoking THC a sin (pot)... It was "nature" /(God's) plant, just like tobacco until people... messed with it....
Now that pot is legal in so many states, is it a sin?
Soooo many people are dying from clogged arteries, a consequence of fast food... People die from smoking and THC in vaping....

Why do you think God made these plants? Heck, why do you think God created the poppy seed? Not that so many could end up living/dieing on poppyseed waist!?!
Interesting... NO!?! WHY DO YOU THINK? Maybe it is part of the fall!?!

just questions in my head.....
Marijuana in oral form is used for appetite stimulation for those who have HIV.

So, marijuana does have medical uses, but I would not claim that smoking pot is acceptable for believers. Especially if it's illegal in the person's territory.

UnitedWithChrist

Aug 12, 2019
i voted no and no im not a smoker myself. because the bible does not say anything about smoking. and people smoked in bible days too. they were smoking something a bit stronger than tobacco too.
By the way if you think this is talking about smoking, that's one of the problems with the KJV translation :D

Gen 24:64 And Rebekah lifted up her eyes, and when she saw Isaac, she lighted off the Camel.

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018
By the way if you think this is talking about smoking, that's one of the problems with the KJV translation :D

Gen 24:64 And Rebekah lifted up her eyes, and when she saw Isaac, she lighted off the Camel.
HAHAHAHA I gotta use that one.

Melach

Mar 28, 2019
Where in the Bible were they smoking tobacco or marijuana? If that's the claim..
they were smoking it. its just not recorded in the bible. not everything is written in the bible. we are talking about people in general im not talking about christians

UnitedWithChrist

Aug 12, 2019
they were smoking it. its just not recorded in the bible. not everything is written in the bible. we are talking about people in general im not talking about christians
I think that tobacco was used in the New World since about 1500 BC or earlier, but did not enter the Old World until Europeans brought it from the Americas.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Burger King serves up carcinogens.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
So... eating fast food is an actual sin?

Eating at Burger King is a genuine act of moral depravity?

I must be morally depraved then as I enjoy fast food at McDonald's too. Burger King and Ronald are my friends. Perhaps I'm a bad judge of character. Right now I'm trending towards Taco Bell. It's south of the border on the edge of hell. I'm talkin' flat earth here. Serious stuff.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Burger King serves up carcinogens.
Really? Kindly tell us which of these carcinogens does Burger King serve up (and we are only looking at the A's and the B's -- we have hardly gotten started):

Acetaldehyde (from consuming alcoholic beverages)
Acheson process, occupational exposure associated with
Acid mists, strong inorganic
Aflatoxins
Alcoholic beverages
Aluminum production
4-Aminobiphenyl
Areca nut
Aristolochic acid (and plants containing it)
Arsenic and inorganic arsenic compounds
Asbestos (all forms) and mineral substances (such as talc or vermiculite) that contain asbestos
Auramine production
Azathioprine
Benzene
Benzidine and dyes metabolized to benzidine
Benzo[a]pyrene
Beryllium and beryllium compounds
Betel quid, with or without tobacco
Bis(chloromethyl)ether and chloromethyl methyl ether (technical-grade)
Busulfan
1,3-Butadiene

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
Really? Kindly tell us which of these carcinogens does Burger King serve up (and we are only looking at the A's and the B's -- we have hardly gotten started):

Acetaldehyde (from consuming alcoholic beverages)
Acheson process, occupational exposure associated with
Acid mists, strong inorganic
Aflatoxins
Alcoholic beverages
Aluminum production
4-Aminobiphenyl
Areca nut
Aristolochic acid (and plants containing it)
Arsenic and inorganic arsenic compounds
Asbestos (all forms) and mineral substances (such as talc or vermiculite) that contain asbestos
Auramine production
Azathioprine
Benzene
Benzidine and dyes metabolized to benzidine
Benzo[a]pyrene
Beryllium and beryllium compounds
Betel quid, with or without tobacco
Bis(chloromethyl)ether and chloromethyl methyl ether (technical-grade)
Busulfan
1,3-Butadiene
This sounds like a post for the serious thread.....Seriously.

P

Pisteuo

Hi All,

Do you consider smoking cigarettes to be a sin?

Yes/No?

If you believe smoking is a sin, why? If you believe smoking is not a sin, why?

Does the Bible cover smoking tobacco in principle? If so, where?

If you are an ex-smoker, how did you manage to quit?

I am an ex-smoker. I smoked from the age of 17-22; about three packs a day.

I quit at age 22 because I started to attend church, and the pastor told me that he would ask me not to attend if he knew I was smoking. I went cold turkey and stopped smoking immediately. At that point, I was going through a lot of depression and anxiety, and really desired a relationship with God.

However, I don't think pastors should issue ultimatums like this. I know that some organizations disfellowship over smoking tobacco, though.

Anyways, what are your thoughts? What advice would you have for Christians who are smoking, if you have quit?
We could go through every addictive substance, in this case nicotine, and say yes, it's connected to our sinful nature.

The best way to quit? Faithing into Christ! Faithing into Christ eventually results in recieving the Spirit of Christ. When that happens, we are sangtified or separated from our sinful natures. In the state of sangtification, even if we were to fulfill the act of sin, in act or thought, it's not us doing it, but sin dwelling in us doing it.

But what also happens in Christ , is we are being perfected. The Spirit of Christ in us becomes stronger, and the sinful nature weaker. This things like smoking and such seem to just fall away like a scab.

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019
Taco Bell. It's south of the border on the edge of hell. I'm talkin' flat earth here. Serious stuff.
😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆